Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Robobot posted:

You come across a busker in the desert. His guitar case remains empty, yet you do not fill it. Why is that?

because i am also a busker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
:aaaaa:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

nurmie posted:

every single artistic endeavour in existence is a frivolous, pointless affair that should not be monetarily encouraged under any circumstances. better yet, any attempts at art should be sharply punished; perpetrators shamed and exiled from polite society; fruits of their unholy labour reduced to dust and scattered to the heartless wind

Bad news: this post was art

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

Bad news: this post was art
:aaaaa:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Honestly though in the modern world art is nothing but a money laundering scheme for the rich and it's good when it gets stolen non-violently.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Art has much greater utility than being like a claims adjuster or a marketing assistant or a mortgage broker or like 85% of "normal jobs" that are just made up so people can fiddle with Excel, attend meetings for two our of eight hours and post on Facebook while the people above them stroke their egos with their little fiefdoms.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Honestly though in the modern world art is nothing but a money laundering scheme for the rich and it's good when it gets stolen non-violently.

Do you mean art as in paintings or art as in all artistic expression? Because the thing that made me start this was me getting mad that someone was refusing to pay for extremely cheap legal manga

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Do you mean art as in paintings or art as in all artistic expression? Because the thing that made me start this was me getting mad that someone was refusing to pay for extremely cheap legal manga

The stuff that gets put in museums not the stuff people jerk off to.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What if I'm jerking off in the museum.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

that's art and i'll gladly steal it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

They put JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure in the Louvre so I’m still confused

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

They put JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure in the Louvre so I’m still confused

that's a decoy for all the art that's actually valuable

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

As far as jobs go, I really can't imagine anyone voluntary working in the private sector unless they themselves own a business

Like the idea of someone else just sitting on the hierarchy above me getting rich off my labor would drive me insane

So yeah independent artist definitely ranks above anything that serves capital

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

As far as jobs go, I really can't imagine anyone voluntary working in the private sector unless they themselves own a business

Like the idea of someone else just sitting on the hierarchy above me getting rich off my labor would drive me insane

Just steal stuff you want. That's what we're trying to get to here.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Like 80% of art is people drawing, sculpting, or chiseling naked bodies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I work for the government and wish I could do the same thing in the private sector because at least I wouldn't be working myself to death for half of what I could be making. Either way nobody is ever going to appreciate the work I do.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't see why anyone would care that their labor makes someone else rich as long as it gives them enough money to live comfortably.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I had a dream where there was a (fictional?) One Piece episode where they finally left a ship, but it had taken 20 episodes for them to leave this ship.

One Piece sucks, that is my opinion

They leave the ship all the time on One Piece? They spend the vast majority of the show off the ship, on various islands.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
In the beginning they have to go to various islands for various plot and character reasons, but once they get to the Grandline the whole way it's set up is that compasses don't work because all the islands are slightly magnetic, so their only option is to go to the next island and have some kind of adventure until their compass resets and directs them to the next island.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't see why anyone would care that their labor makes someone else rich as long as it gives them enough money to live comfortably.

How much money could you lose and still live comfortably?

Please wire me that amount in perpetuity. TIA.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gaius Marius posted:

*long sigh* it's been DONE.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sick of art being used as positive descriptor. Anyone who says "x isn't art" is always a doofus. Anything that someone finds artistic value in is art. It doesn't mean it's good. Art can be bad. Saying something isn't art is like saying a movie you don't like "isn't a movie" because you think it sucks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I'm sick of art being used as positive descriptor. Anyone who says "x isn't art" is always a doofus. Anything that someone finds artistic value in is art. It doesn't mean it's good. Art can be bad. Saying something isn't art is like saying a movie you don't like "isn't a movie" because you think it sucks.

Similarly when someone doesn’t get a joke and says “jokes are supposed to be funny” in response it says more about themselves than the joke.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Frozen chicken taquitos have all the nutrients you need to live, you can only eat frozen chicken taquitos and be fine.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Gripweed posted:

Frozen chicken taquitos have all the nutrients you need to live, you can only eat frozen chicken taquitos and be fine.

Indeed, but microwave them so they taste better.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

I do. Knowing that the labor I am performing is worth $X but I'm going to receive a quarter of that because I somehow ended up on some outdated social hierarchy? What, the chief takes his fill first and I can have some scraps if there's anything left after the people who matter get theirs? No thanks. I'd probably burn the building down with that kind of exploitation weighing on my mind

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

I do. Knowing that the labor I am performing is worth $X but I'm going to receive a quarter of that because I somehow ended up on some outdated social hierarchy? What, the chief takes his fill first and I can have some scraps if there's anything left after the people who matter get theirs? No thanks. I'd probably burn the building down with that kind of exploitation weighing on my mind

I take it you're a business owner then.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think they work for the government. I'll bet you they've never owned their own business though. It loving sucks man.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah I work public sector and believe me the taxpayers are coming out on the bad end of my employment contract

edit: also "business owners" should probably be drowned in a sewer unless they are solely selling their own labor and skills or running a work coop

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Sep 4, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

I think they work for the government. I'll bet you they've never owned their own business though. It loving sucks man.

It really does sometimes. It can be rewarding as hell but dealing with insane clients, trying to get people to actually pay you, the now way more complicated tax poo poo, it can get pretty stressful. I work a busy regular job on top of owning a business so it’s double the suck.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Capitalism? More like crapitalism.

With rare exception, business owners are some of the worst human beings on the planet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. Ugly In The Morning is both a terrible mod and terrible person.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
But enough about Moby

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Agreed. Ugly In The Morning is both a terrible mod and terrible person.

:argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Golf (both the miniature and full-sized varieties) would be a lot better if it involved more randomness. The biggest problem with it, as a game, is that you can gently caress up on hole six and know that you've still got 12 holes to go but you can't possibly win. Adding more chance would mean that, rather than just having to hope that every other player also fucks up worse than you did at some point, you could also hope for a bit of luck to put you back in the running.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

Golf (both the miniature and full-sized varieties) would be a lot better if it involved more randomness. The biggest problem with it, as a game, is that you can gently caress up on hole six and know that you've still got 12 holes to go but you can't possibly win. Adding more chance would mean that, rather than just having to hope that every other player also fucks up worse than you did at some point, you could also hope for a bit of luck to put you back in the running.

How about adding a random chance of shelling the golf course with an artillery barrage and returning both the course and anyone on it to nature

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

How about adding a random chance of shelling the golf course with an artillery barrage and returning both the course and anyone on it to nature

I don't think I would enjoy that game.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I would enjoy that game.

It would be more of a spectator sport at that point

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wouldn’t play golf but I will watch it all day long on tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I would play golf if Texas wasn't so loving hot