Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm in veteran currently and when I see a crustle it usually runs shell smash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Blastoise has arrived. I’ve watched some video of it and he seems like a lot of fun, like a more attack-ready Slowbro.

Also I’m looking at getting another support, should I get Wig or Bliss?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The one thing that sucks about the League system of not allowing free rotation heroes into Ranked is that I don't really have a good sense of the strength of some of the heroes I don't own. Mons like Snorlax or Lucario I play against enough to know they're good, but despite how much I've played I can't really contribute anything to a convo about Wiggly or Blissey

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DC Murderverse posted:

Blastoise has arrived. I’ve watched some video of it and he seems like a lot of fun, like a more attack-ready Slowbro.

Also I’m looking at getting another support, should I get Wig or Bliss?

They're almost polar opposites, so pick the playstyle you like better. I'm honestly not sure why Wigglytuff is considered a support and not a defender, she wants to wade into the enemy team singing and slapping them around for crowd control (although I guess her ult is pretty supporty). Blissey is probably the most passive pokemon in the game -- you'll just be following people around healing them and buffing them... but it IS effective, and it's much more of a support playstyle than Wigglytuff. They're both top tier though, so it's really up to you.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Sounds like I should get Blissey then, I’ve already got all of the defenders. I’m sort of serious what roles Sylveon and Mammoswine are gonna be now, I assumed Support and Defender respectively but I saw Sylveon’s Unite move and it’s definitely an attacker and I can’t imagine them releasing two defenders that close together. I assume we’ll learn more as the mobile launch approaches.

If you haven’t already you should “pre-order” the mobile app, they’re promising a free Pikachu and presumably if you already have the ‘Chu it’ll be enough coins to buy someone else.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Hot take but I think people should surrender more. The enemy team moves with the coordination and ruthlessness of green berets while most of our guys haven't tried to score yet. You really think Zapdos is gonna turn this around? Buddy you aren't even gonna see Zapdos, you'll be up there in the top lane throwing a crab boil with the rest of the team.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Depends heavily on the bracket I think. Unranked games yeah there's some unwinnable ones but up through Vet/Ultra I almost never see a stomp so bad that I don't think I could probably squeak out a win if I just farm up for a bit and drop my ult at zapdos

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You can surrender the moment u lose zapdos and not any time before. I've won more than a few shares of games where we were very much losing before zapdos and the team tried to surrender.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have definitely clinched it by grabbing Zapdos and waddling Slowbro's dumb rear end to a tier 2 for an easy hundred points. Never surrender before big bird.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm getting tired of people snagging dreadnaw right before zapdos giving our team the debuff that usually costs us zapdos.

I think the idea(if there is one) is to use the shield to help wipe their team and take zapdos during their respawn but I've never seen that work.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

You can surrender the moment u lose zapdos and not any time before. I've won more than a few shares of games where we were very much losing before zapdos and the team tried to surrender.

I hate when people surrender at that point there’s just a minute left is your time really so valuable that an extra minute to try and rack up a few KOs or points is gonna ruin your night?

I only ever surrender if someone is afk for at least a few minutes, even in the first few minutes being 4 on 5 is a huge drain and it can very quickly snowball

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I hate when people surrender at that point there’s just a minute left is your time really so valuable that an extra minute to try and rack up a few KOs or points is gonna ruin your night?

I only ever surrender if someone is afk for at least a few minutes, even in the first few minutes being 4 on 5 is a huge drain and it can very quickly snowball

I almost never vote to surrender, but I can understand calling it quits if you're losing and lose zapdos. I like getting a couple KOs at the end if we're gunna lose lol

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I've had some good comebacks where someone robs Zapdos out from under the enemy team and we all start dunking mad hoops. But man...when you know, you know. Today I went up against a team so in sync that 4 of them would funnel us back up our lane while the 5th guy beat Dreadnaw to death, and this worked twice. It's pure hubris to think there was ever a chance we'd out-maneuver those freaks.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

dont surrender after you lose zapdos I want to get my 100 point slam jam

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Score/Kill/MVP grinding is what Quick Battle is for, and it’s quite good at it!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Phenotype posted:

dont surrender after you lose zapdos I want to get my 100 point slam jam

I've noticed a game where my point slams after surrender still counted for MVP, but the score at surrender is what appeared in the tally screens.

So you just gotta get there fast enough.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I had an enemy team surrender at about the 5 minute mark, but i can't really blame them when you see the level 4 eldegoss suicide zerg into a level 9 cinderace for the umpteenth time. Literally zero chance to win the Zapdos fight, or hell, any fight at all, even if you stick around for another three minutes and your highest level 'mon on the team is still two levels below the lowest support of the enemy

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm getting tired of people snagging dreadnaw right before zapdos giving our team the debuff that usually costs us zapdos.

I think the idea(if there is one) is to use the shield to help wipe their team and take zapdos during their respawn but I've never seen that work.

Probably those people aren't on reddit or whatever and have no idea about the debut because the game does absolutely nothing to communicate it

It seems pretty logical to go "oh there's a minute to zapdos lets grab the other important objective first" otherwise

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Probably those people aren't on reddit or whatever and have no idea about the debut because the game does absolutely nothing to communicate it

It seems pretty logical to go "oh there's a minute to zapdos lets grab the other important objective first" otherwise

yeah that's fair I keep forgetting that I didn't learn that in the game but thanks to this thread lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there’d a Dreadnaw debuff??

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

indigi posted:

Taking out Dreadnaw has you do like 50% less damage to Zapdos for a solid 90 seconds.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

indigi posted:

Forget the exact details but it went something like this from Reddit

Knocking out Rotom is worth five points of progress, unrelated to the points you dunk
Knocking out Dreadnaw is worth ten progress points
When a team earns thirty progress points, they are hit with a silent half damage debuff against Zapdos for 90 seconds after the Rotom/Dreadnaw KO

And nothing ingame gives any hints about this. Seems like the ideal play is take the first two Dreadnaws while denying but not taking the last spawn.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the 3v3 quick map, Auroma park or whatever, freaking sucks and is all about pve for double point dunks. but, flail Snorlax is really good there.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Pamela Springstein posted:

the 3v3 quick map, Auroma park or whatever, freaking sucks and is all about pve for double point dunks. but, flail Snorlax is really good there.

Garchomp thrives in this arena.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Avalerion posted:

Sick of spamming headed to center area when zapdos spawns and my team just fucks around in lane. Done with game. :sadwave:

Shame because the mechanics and characters are cool but yea, Zapdos + dumb kids being dumb ruins this.

Should've heeded this post's warning. The game's fun levels take a significant dive when most matches are a stomp out cause 40% of your team prefer to mindlessly kill bots while the rest of us get thrashed. If you lose enough games they put you in a match with 9 bots and they don't even try and pretend you weren't just sent to the Weenie Hut Jr. Every time it happens my interest in the game starts to free fall.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I don’t mind the bot matches because I use them as a chance to play Pokémon I don’t normally play or moves I don’t normally use.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What are bot matches

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

indigi posted:

What are bot matches

If you lose three games in a row your next game will have no human teammates or opponents. You can tell it’s happening at character selection because none of the bots will select a Pokémon until you have.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What the gently caress is the purpose of that lol

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My guess, and only a guess, to keep people from getting pissed off from constant losses so they'll keep playing and hopefully spend money. They just didn't bother disguising the freebie victory at all

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 4, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think once you hit Veteran it increases the threshold to five wins but still definitely happens

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Do I want the Snorlax outfit? I could have 610 upgrade tokens instead. I already got all held items to a base level of 10. 600 tokens maybe gets me another 2 to lvl 20. But Snorlax is my main, and I even got his berry outfit. It's such a hard choice.

I'm also sitting on 20,000 coins because I can't decide to spend them. The only other pkm that I got is Garchomp (big mistake). I want a Support, but can't choose. And I don't want to accidentally get another lemon.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I haven’t bought any Pokémon yet and I’m getting good with Venasaur and Pikachu, who should be my first purchase (or which mon that I already have should I start working with)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm generally immune to cosmetics and this game is no exception, they're gonna have to pull off something insane to get me to buy one, but I do have an idea of what they could do though. Skins that just change Pokemon into other Pokemon. Sylveon gets a skin that turns them into Espeon, moves get a slight color shift or something

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

indigi posted:

I haven’t bought any Pokémon yet and I’m getting good with Venasaur and Pikachu, who should be my first purchase (or which mon that I already have should I start working with)

You get a good selection of attackers for free, and probably the best speedster in Zeraora, so you might want to look at the defenders and supports. Blastoise and Snorlax are the strongest defenders at the moment, with an honorable mention for Wigglytuff, who is technically a support but plays like a defender. The only two real supports right now are Eldegoss and Blissey; I personally don't like Blissey as she's very passive (but strong), and Eldegoss has a lot more ability to poke with ranged autos and Leaf Tornado. Lucario is also worth looking at -- he's probably the strongest Pokemon in the game right now and gets to dash all over the place while doing a ton of damage and gaining shields when he's in trouble.

As far as your free pokemon, Ninetails, Greninja and Cinderace are all very strong too. You really gotta just play some games and see which Pokemon are the most fun for you.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm generally immune to cosmetics and this game is no exception, they're gonna have to pull off something insane to get me to buy one, but I do have an idea of what they could do though. Skins that just change Pokemon into other Pokemon. Sylveon gets a skin that turns them into Espeon, moves get a slight color shift or something

I really don't get the holowear. They're all butt ugly and hard to notice in match when attacks are flying everywhere, but if I would turn Talonflame into Staraptor that might've actually worked on me. The microtransactions they have are pretty scummy but done in such a way that there's almost no pressure to buy in, which I guess is a good thing? I wonder if it's intentional.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay yeah losing a game because your team played too well and gets a massive damage penalty against Zapdos that no one on my team knows about and I have no capacity to tell them about which ends in them trying to take a prolonged fight while enemies constantly respawn is the worst poo poo on Earth and I've already fallen off the train pretty hard and man I might just be done

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I want a Mimikyu Pikachu holowear, I’d spend $.99 on that poo poo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Phenotype posted:

You get a good selection of attackers for free, and probably the best speedster in Zeraora, so you might want to look at the defenders and supports. Blastoise and Snorlax are the strongest defenders at the moment, with an honorable mention for Wigglytuff, who is technically a support but plays like a defender. The only two real supports right now are Eldegoss and Blissey; I personally don't like Blissey as she's very passive (but strong), and Eldegoss has a lot more ability to poke with ranged autos and Leaf Tornado. Lucario is also worth looking at -- he's probably the strongest Pokemon in the game right now and gets to dash all over the place while doing a ton of damage and gaining shields when he's in trouble.

As far as your free pokemon, Ninetails, Greninja and Cinderace are all very strong too. You really gotta just play some games and see which Pokemon are the most fun for you.

After a few times playing Blissey I’ve enjoyed it for the most part but how your game goes is so much more dependent on how your teammates play, if you get stuck with someone who keeps picking bad fights and getting blasted rather than farming and getting stronger you’re gonna be yelling at your screen, but if you get someone who knows what they’re doing you get to facilitate them stomping people into dust and that’s a real good feeling

I think Blastoise is the most fun Defender to play as, he has a lot of tools to gently caress with people’s positioning and hits pretty hard to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DC Murderverse posted:

After a few times playing Blissey I’ve enjoyed it for the most part but how your game goes is so much more dependent on how your teammates play, if you get stuck with someone who keeps picking bad fights and getting blasted rather than farming and getting stronger you’re gonna be yelling at your screen, but if you get someone who knows what they’re doing you get to facilitate them stomping people into dust and that’s a real good feeling

I think Blastoise is the most fun Defender to play as, he has a lot of tools to gently caress with people’s positioning and hits pretty hard to boot

In general position manipulation of enemies/allies is really powerful in MOBA.

I'm having a blast with Crustle, but man I can't get Rock Tomb to work in a useful way. I can't see how it's the preferred option. I guess the idea is that you wall them in and then x-scissor, but the cool down is so long, and everyone has blink or a dash and you can't lock them down.

What I did find is neat is to use Stealth Rock and Shell Smash, and then fight someone in melee range but keep them in the AOE of Stealth Rock, most people don't notice, and the damage on Stealth Rock scales up the longer they are in it. Most people (in standard and low ranked) don't notice. Also with Shell smash and stealth rock you farm super fast so you can start behind and defend an attacker, but once you get level stealth rock (lvl 6 i think?) you can flash farm their jungle and if you get jumped zoom out of there.

You can also backdoor score,if you see the enemy on your lanes, and then you can lay a trap for them and pincher them lol