Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1433588541745999873

low key sex master posted:

What's he supposed to say? "Mu will kill your family and blind you so it's the last thing you see, Zedekiah style?"

Yes. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

freddiestarfish posted:

Do Americans get anything else other than a little card to say they're vaccinated? Seems easy to lose, we get an electronic certificate in a national register that we can access through a phone/computer. Shocking government control of my data I know, but I guess someone needs a database to show who's vaccinated.

Although it wouldn't surprise me at all that you get nothing either.

we get a handwritten card :patriot: (edit: in FL)

i think the information gets entered into a computer when you get the shot, so they should be able to help you if you lose it at least. i hope.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Dunno about other states, but California has an online tool for proof of vaccination.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The best thing about the American card is that it’s oversized and thus won’t fit in anyone’s goddamn wallet. Mine is actually bigger than my wallet :suicide:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's a plot by big wallet

naem
May 29, 2011

posting for my fellow american freedom eagles

our vaccines cards fit in these, due to how exceptional we are

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

First of May posted:

Dunno about other states, but California has an online tool for proof of vaccination.

YOU'RE an online tool

naem
May 29, 2011

for any non american goons, 4 inches is approximately 246.0237942873111 cubic deco-hectometers

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

low key sex master posted:

Any chance you can regale us with stories of those who are fighting against it? With names and identifying info redacted, of course :awesome:

There's a Q&A session next week, I'm expecting that to be spicy. One of my close coworkers is an antivax chud who claims school shootings are all false flag events. I'll pass along what I can without getting myself in trouble.

We have a mandatory checkin for covid symptoms that's an app on our phones. Answer the questions, show the results to security as you come in the door. If you've shown proof of vaccination to security, you can bypass that. They've been making things harder and harder for people who won't get vaccinated - no company travel, have to get a covid test (on-site, free, and takes like 5 minutes) weekly, etc. We had a drawing this week with a $50k prize, everyone who had shown proof of vaccination was eligilble. That was the carrot. Today came the stick - get fully vaccinated by Nov. 15 or you're fired.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

naem posted:

posting for my fellow american freedom eagles

our vaccines cards fit in these, due to how exceptional we are

They sell these plastic card holders at CVS here. They are advertised for the card and fit it perfectly.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

freddiestarfish posted:

Do Americans get anything else other than a little card to say they're vaccinated? Seems easy to lose, we get an electronic certificate in a national register that we can access through a phone/computer. Shocking government control of my data I know, but I guess someone needs a database to show who's vaccinated.

the reason we don't have stuff like that in the USA is bc every crooked politician would be rock hard thinking of ways to sell/exploit/manipulate that information .

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Ron Desantis knows kids and dead people don't vote. If everyone else can go about their daily lives without feeling too much impact they'll probably be happy with him for not putting restrictions on them.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dren posted:

Ron Desantis knows kids and dead people don't vote. If everyone else can go about their daily lives without feeling too much impact they'll probably be happy with him for not putting restrictions on them.
He knew that unvaccinated GOP-voting chuds would be dying by the truckload no matter what, so he had to ensure that the death and destruction were distributed more equitably so as not to gently caress up the state’s voting demographics.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

did joe Rogan die yet or did the ivermectin save him

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I know New York has an app. New Jersey and apparently Utah also have one:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RoastBeef posted:

I know New York has an app. New Jersey and apparently Utah also have one:

Why does it look like an off-brand food delivery app?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

freddiestarfish posted:

My vaccination status was recorded on an old subway sub club card.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Kickbacks aren't cheap

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

naem posted:

for any non american goons, 4 inches is approximately 246.0237942873111 cubic deco-hectometers

At least its a rectangle made from two 3-4-5 triangles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

did joe Rogan die yet or did the ivermectin save him

He apparently got monocolonial antibodies so I think he'll be fine

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't think there's much evidence monoclonal antibodies are very helpful. The clinical numbers were tamiflu-level uninspiring iirc. If I understand right it's a similar problem with both--in theory these would be most useful early on in an infection, which is not when treatment is usually sought.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope he posts pics of his “worms” when he starts making GBS threads out his intestinal lining.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Rad-daddio posted:

the reason we don't have stuff like that in the USA is bc every crooked politician would be rock hard thinking of ways to sell/exploit/manipulate that information .

Oh they've been trying that here in the UK too for all kinds of stuff, including quietly trying to get all local doctors surgery patient info uploaded to a central database so they can mine and sell it etc, under cover of people being distracted by Covid-19 and also not really telling people what they are doing. But there was enough backlash that that was put off for now (this also isn't the first time this has been tried).

The vaccination status thing is just a separate item of NHS patient info which is held centrally, which presumably they will also mine/sell/whatever at some point.

This is the same party who keep trying to ban encryption and various other tech restrictions things which won't work, all in order to "protect the children" (it won't do that either).

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pfizer Moderna mooltipass

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Scarodactyl posted:

I don't think there's much evidence monoclonal antibodies are very helpful. The clinical numbers were tamiflu-level uninspiring iirc. If I understand right it's a similar problem with both--in theory these would be most useful early on in an infection, which is not when treatment is usually sought.
Rogan has the means to get tested multiple times a day, which would not be the worst idea given how few other precautions he seems to be taking. That would allow him to catch it as early as possible…Though I doubt he’s smart enough to do that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dren posted:

It’s like that stock‐boosting scam.

You start with ten thousand marks. On the first day, you tell half of them that a particular stock will go up. To the other half, you say that it will go down. You’ve given a bad prediction to half of them, and they dismiss you. No matter. Take the remaining five thousand and tell half of them that a different stock will go up, and half that it will go down.

After five rounds of this, what remains is three hundred people who’ve witnessed you correctly predict five stock movements in a row. Now when you tell them to buy your penny stock, they’re inclined to think you know what you’re talking about.

Likewise, Floridians who survive Ron Desantis’ cull will be inclined to think “Ron DeSantis won the pandemic”.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The team that made Iowa’s Democratic caucus app was unavailable.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Looking at the state of things in the US last year, September/October were "low" immediately followed by massive spikes for the holidays.

Currently, the US has numbers high as hell, are they going to spike like they did last year for the holiday? Because if so, holy hell that's going to be a lot of covid.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
uhh isn't he advocating a crime?

and of course, in classic abuser form they blame their victims, "you forced me to do this"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spacetoaster posted:

Looking at the state of things in the US last year, September/October were "low" immediately followed by massive spikes for the holidays.

Currently, the US has numbers high as hell, are they going to spike like they did last year for the holiday? Because if so, holy hell that's going to be a lot of covid.

That’s what’s so interesting.

We’re entering the cool zone of uncharted epidemiology where all models break down.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Currently, the US has numbers high as hell, are they going to spike like they did last year for the holiday?

I heard the virus is actually gonna stop spreading, so there's nothing to worry about

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

spacetoaster posted:

I mean, to be fair, we're in an entirely different situation this year. Last year the holiday spike was (probably) driven by a substantial increase in travel and interaction driven by an almost entirely unvaccinated populace burned out from a year of restrictions.

This year we've had basically no restrictions for as long as I can remember, and a substantial (though not sufficient) percentage of the populace is vaccinated. We've also got a shiny new variant that is already burning through the vulnerable at a hugely increased rate.

None of that is to say there won't be a holiday spike, just to note that at this point I don't think there's any reasonable way to predict what the numbers are going to look like in another month, never mind four.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Homocow posted:

uhh isn't he advocating a crime?

and of course, in classic abuser form they blame their victims, "you forced me to do this"

courts have ruled that no reasonable person of sound mind and avg IQ would take anything from a Fox talking head show as serious info.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PhazonLink posted:

courts have ruled that no reasonable person of sound mind and avg IQ would take anything from a Fox talking head show as serious info.

This is legitimately true. It was a court case with Tucker Carlson. They said no reasonable person would believe what he says.

The judge apparently didn't realize that 40%, maybe 50% now, are not reasonable.

loving infuriating.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Odds of a winter spike are high in the northern hemisphere, but whether it will be as bad or worse than last year, who knows. More than half of adults in the US are vaccinated. I haven't been paying close attention to studies about what percentage of the population has now had covid and thus is likely to have a pretty decent natural immunity, but i have to guess we're somewhere around 1/3rd. The surface area for serious cases involving hospitalizations or fatalities has diminished in a significant way (which really highlights how much worse delta is than the OG strain).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is legitimately true. It was a court case with Tucker Carlson. They said no reasonable person would believe what he says.

The judge apparently didn't realize that 40%, maybe 50% now, are not reasonable.

loving infuriating.
Didn’t Alex Jones’s lawyers say the same thing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

If you just integrate under the curve from June 14 2021 to today, you get roughly 63 million cases. And that's just what we've detected; plenty more people who were mildly sick or asymptomatic never got tested, plus there's some number of false negatives who didn't bother to get retested. That's already a fuckload of covid

Now, from what we know of reinfections they tend not to occur quickly. So all of those people who caught covid (whether they knew it or not) probably won't get it again for at least a few months. That means we're due for a massive lull as the number of viable hosts dwindles and as people get boosters. Then this wave's participants will have steadily dwindling immunity just in time for another big wave associated with Thanksgiving and winter holidays.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 4, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Because it's made by the government, how is that a question

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Speechless

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1433972198218338313?s=19
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1433960282418827268?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

smoobles posted:

I heard the virus is actually gonna stop spreading, so there's nothing to worry about

That's correct, eventually covid-19 will be wiped out after we drive ourselves extinct with climate change. Your days are numbered, covid-19!