Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Either make a cool design with the stars (not a grid or an offset one) or go back to the horrible original idea of 51 stars and 51 stripes too

Kennel posted:

Just hire a marketing company to design a fresh new flag.

The watchword for this redesign was "less is more". We've kept the traditional colors -- the red, white and blue is so core to your corporate national identity that we just couldn't bear to change it! -- but we've simplified the way-too-busy design. The stars, in particular, were a little much, so we've reduced them to a single large emblem that's the new focal point of the whole flag. It's now centered vertically, between a reduced number of stripes, but it's offset slightly toward the hoist, both as a callback to the old flag and as a way to avoid a too-boring symmetry. Overall, this new design just screams "America"! You're going to love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brought to you by Carl Jr.'s!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Powered Descent posted:

The watchword for this redesign was "less is more". We've kept the traditional colors -- the red, white and blue is so core to your corporate national identity that we just couldn't bear to change it! -- but we've simplified the way-too-busy design. The stars, in particular, were a little much, so we've reduced them to a single large emblem that's the new focal point of the whole flag. It's now centered vertically, between a reduced number of stripes, but it's offset slightly toward the hoist, both as a callback to the old flag and as a way to avoid a too-boring symmetry. Overall, this new design just screams "America"! You're going to love it!

The watchword for this redesign was "less is more". We've kept the traditional colors -- the red, white and blue is so core to your corporate national identity that we just couldn't bear to change it! -- but we've simplified the way-too-busy design. The stars, in particular, were a little much, so we've reduced them radically in number. And we've added a callback to a classic design paying homage to your Anglo heritage, adopting something reminiscent of classic Scottish emblems while overlaying the classic American themes. Overall, this new design just screams "America"! You're going to love it!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The flag of the city of Anadyr in the far east of Siberia is a personal fave :3:.

Some other Russian city flags:

Komsomolsk-on-Amur. Very Soviet.

Vladivostok. Siberian Tigers are a popular symbol here, unsurprisingly.

Irkutsk. What animal is that supposed to be? Well...

"Wikipedia posted:

The coat of arms of Irkutsk features an old symbol of Dauria: a Siberian tiger with a sable in his mouth. When the coat of arms was devised in 1690, the animal was described as a tiger ("babr", a bookish word of Persian derivation) with a sable in his mouth. This image had been used by the Yakutsk customs office from about 1642. It has its origin in a seal of the Siberia Khanate representing a sable and showcasing the fact that Siberia (or rather Yugra) was the main source of sable fur throughout the Middle Ages. (Actually, the English word "sable" is derived from the Russian "sobol").

By the mid-19th century, the word "babr" had fallen out of common usage, but it was still recorded in the Armorial of the Russian Empire. Furthermore, the tigers became extinct in this part of Siberia. In the 1870s, a high-placed French heraldist with a limited command of Russian assumed that "babr" was a misspelling of "bobr", the Russian word for "beaver", and changed the wording accordingly. This modification engendered a long dispute between the local authorities, who were so confused by the revised description that they started to depict the "babr" as a fabulous animal, half-tiger and half-beaver.

The Soviets abolished the image altogether, but it was restored following the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Look at this majestic beast.

And finally... Khabarovsk with the crossover event of the century! Even the red fish from Anadyr makes a cameo.

bowser fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 28, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
wanna see the tiger beaver hybrid

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That French heraldrist who accidentally invented the beaver tiger was a cousin of the US Army officer who turned the caduceus into a symbol for medicine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That French heraldrist who accidentally invented the beaver tiger was a cousin of the US Army officer who turned the caduceus into a symbol for medicine.

Three fuckin revolutions and vexillology is dominated by the same nepotist families

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Spiritual cousins.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Distant relative of the Brit who turned the salt heaps on the seal of the Turks and Caicos into igloos by adding a door.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the guy on the beach looks like one of those video game bugs where the player model becomes visually untethered from the item they're wielding

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

From the charts thread:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how all the tricolors are directly on top of eachother and then mostly hidden behind the Union Jack.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What do you mean? I only see one flag behind the Union Jack, which is itself mostly covered up.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Why isn’t the Russian flag on this chart? Whatever that is under the Czech flag comes close, but the Russians don’t use any kind of shield-shaped device that I can recall.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Cubelodyte posted:

Why isn’t the Russian flag on this chart? Whatever that is under the Czech flag comes close, but the Russians don’t use any kind of shield-shaped device that I can recall.

All the Tricolors are in one stack since they all have the same color ratio

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Cubelodyte posted:

Right under Netherlands

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: people with holographic monitors show off

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hate how all the reds and blues are all the same drat hue.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Grouchio posted:

Different lightnesses and saturations though, interestingly enough.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Worthless. Doesn't include the flag of Bahrain, and how could anyone trust such a chart after such a grievous omission?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grouchio posted:

European flag tradition doesn't specify hue, just colour. So any red is technically valid, although in practice the same is always chosen. Gotta be careful though, you don't want to mix up your Irish and Italian.

But yeah, flag design sucks. Be like Bahrain (for flags)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like old flags that are like “HC SVNT DRACONES. Drawing the dragon is left as an exercise for the finest artist in the village.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so every time i drive to my gf's house. i pass this house with three flags. 2 i know. one is the christian flag and the other is the Israeli flag. the third one i have never gotten a full look at and its not on road that i can slow down and take a picture like the weird goon i am. from what i see. the flag has writing on it and is yellow and green with some white. I think it has a figure but its curled around the poll most of the time.

Edit. I looked through various nation state flags and i can't find any that look like it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 4, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so every time i drive to my gf's house. i pass this house with three flags. 2 i know. one is the christian flag and the other is the Israeli flag. the third one i have never gotten a full look at and its not on road that i can slow down and take a picture like the weird goon i am. from what i see. the flag has writing on it and is yellow and green with some white. I think it has a figure but its curled around the poll most of the time.

Edit. I looked through various nation state flags and i can't find any that look like it.

Christian Flag? do you mean this one?

I've never actually seen or heard of this flag before.

As for that green and yellow one, could it be the Irish "Erin Go Bragh" flag?

I found it on this wikimedia page

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

bowser posted:

The flag of the city of Anadyr in the far east of Siberia is a personal fave :3:.

Some other Russian city flags:

Komsomolsk-on-Amur. Very Soviet.

Vladivostok. Siberian Tigers are a popular symbol here, unsurprisingly.

Irkutsk. What animal is that supposed to be? Well...

Look at this majestic beast.

And finally... Khabarovsk with the crossover event of the century! Even the red fish from Anadyr makes a cameo.

missing the best!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Probably a Georgian emigre. Most Americans from the former soviet union support Trump and are fond towards Putin.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The_Other posted:

Southern Baptist churches fly it a lot. Shocking I know.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Vasukhani posted:

Probably a Georgian emigre. Most Americans from the former soviet union support Trump and are fond towards Putin.

I wonder why they would use that flag though, Georgia began using it from ~2004 after a political movement drove the distinctly pro-Putin president Shevernadze from power

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I wonder why they would use that flag though, Georgia began using it from ~2004 after a political movement drove the distinctly pro-Putin president Shevernadze from power

It's also the alleged flag of the Medieval kingdom, something they would definitely identify with as a White/Christian Nationalist

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I used to swear allegiance to that dumb flag every morning.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it was pretty obviously meant as a reference to the Georgia that was all over the news at the time as the biggest upset of the 2020 election. I feel like anyone who's big on Putin probably wouldn't be waving the flag of an independent Georgia.

Not that there weren't a lot of country flags and weird flags you wouldn't expect.

https://twitter.com/varungandhi80/status/1347060127845634053
https://twitter.com/DCElliotScott/status/1346847686687944704

Also some specifically defunct flags.

South Vietnam

Iran under the Shah before the revolution Which is weird, since I thought those people usually self-identified as "persians" instead to differentiate themselves from current Iran.

In general, the insurrectionists were one of the most flag-happy groups out there, especially their weird custom flags, which often demonstrate what's wrong with particular flag taboos.

Text on flags is both hard to read at a distance, and will often get reversed depending on the angle the fag is blowing, so you get all these "PMURT" flags. Also the more obscure imagery and symbols aren't easy to recognize and you get these moments when they obscure things further by doubling up on symbols.

There are some of their flags that I think have good visual design principles, but I don't want to hand it to them.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it was pretty obviously meant as a reference to the Georgia that was all over the news at the time as the biggest upset of the 2020 election. I feel like anyone who's big on Putin probably wouldn't be waving the flag of an independent Georgia.

Nah dude, Caucasus Christians in particular love Trump because they thought he was going to put Muslims in camps. Same reason as Indians.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The_Other posted:

yeah i see the christian flag around alot here.

it might be that flag. ill try to take a pic today.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That red white and blue thing is no Christian flag.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's explicitly the Baptist flag, but Baptists in the US are by far the most likely to call themselves just "christian," and ask "So you christian or catholic?"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's Catholic, not Christian.

And anyway your want this:

E: tag yourself, I'm the three English flags

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Heretic. How dare you disrespect the papal

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Heretic. How dare you disrespect the papal

They did it first in the 11th century. The actual Christian flag does have yellow in it though, but no white, just the two headed eagle

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Who among us can resist a pretty gif, not I my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

That's Catholic, not Christian.

What's the difference