Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

VelociBacon posted:

I have a 9900k and 2080ti and I've been trying to find playable settings for DR2 in VR and I'm pretty much failing. What settings do you use?

I can't speak for VR specifically, but I have the exact same components and to play at 3x1080p (or 4k when I was using a single), you need to drop crowd down to "low" as it's a massive FPS hit, and I suggest dropping shadows as well, and turning off the advanced ambient occlusion can help quite a lot too. I assume all of that would help in VR as well, but can't say it'll be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I have a 9900k and 2080ti and I've been trying to find playable settings for DR2 in VR and I'm pretty much failing. What settings do you use?

What VR headset are you using? I've been running it on a 1070ti and an old 6600(?) with a CV1 Rift without too many problems using the VR setup guide on the Codemasters forums. Turning mirrors off makes a big difference and you don't need them at all for rally. My only real complaint is the very weird color banding compression that makes greys look purple at night- otherwise it runs fine, although I'm obviously nowhere near max settings with that setup.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VelociBacon posted:

Something must be wrong with your system. I have a 3700k and a 2080ti and have never had performance issues in dirt.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Zaphod42 posted:

Lack of VR support is what keeps me playing dirt rally 2 instead.

I own like wrc 8 or 9 and I rarely play it as a result, dirt rally just seems better. But I want to like it, they really need to support VR.

Yeah VR would be cool. I imagine it must be difficult to actually make good support for VR for smaller developers (smaller compared to those that are putting out the majority of racing games these days anyways)? I don't really know though. I'm hunting for a 30 series card, when I get that I will start doing VR probably but for now I don't have it anyways.

Regarding the game though, it actually is a little disappointing right now. The graphics do not look much better than 9, if they look better at all, and the performance is clearly and obviously worse than 9. I also got some fatal errors that closed the application completely. Great they added rallies and cars but the game doesn't seem to be in the best shape, right now there is no reason to play it over WRC 9 for me. Gonna refund and wait to see if this stuff gets fixed I think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Something must be wrong with your system. I have a 3700k and a 2080ti and have never had performance issues in dirt.

shortspecialbus posted:

I can't speak for VR specifically, but I have the exact same components and to play at 3x1080p (or 4k when I was using a single), you need to drop crowd down to "low" as it's a massive FPS hit, and I suggest dropping shadows as well, and turning off the advanced ambient occlusion can help quite a lot too. I assume all of that would help in VR as well, but can't say it'll be enough.

a loathsome bird posted:

What VR headset are you using? I've been running it on a 1070ti and an old 6600(?) with a CV1 Rift without too many problems using the VR setup guide on the Codemasters forums. Turning mirrors off makes a big difference and you don't need them at all for rally. My only real complaint is the very weird color banding compression that makes greys look purple at night- otherwise it runs fine, although I'm obviously nowhere near max settings with that setup.

Thanks, It's a reverb g2 which I guess is a big part of why it's hard to drive. I'll look at it again but I thought I had the settings already pretty far down.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Man would I love to get a 3070 but welp

Are video cards ever going to go back to sane prices or are we stuck here?

If it wasnt for my mate dropping his savings on a 3090 and gifting me his 1080ti I'd still be stuck with 970 who's fan needed replacing every six months.

I refuse to spend more than AU$500 for a video card but my current card is still selling for more than that second hand.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The world economy is completely hosed for the next 5 years at a minimum. The computer chip shortage is not going away anytime soon.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

tater_salad posted:

Speaking of AC..
Is there some known fuckery with the Controller profiles being saved. I save them but it seems like I have to remap everything even if I load my saved setup after re-launching.

I've had this issue for as long as I can remember. But mostly just with my paddle shifters and the throttle.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The world economy is completely hosed for the next 5 years at a minimum. The computer chip shortage is not going away anytime soon.

I honestly think bitcoin is probably the larger problem at this point for this particular problem. Bitcoin and purchasing bots.

I'm almost getting to the point where I consider a prebuilt computer or just paying $fuckyou scalper prices on ebay, but I don't want to be even a little responsible for this nonsense so I'm holding out as long as I can.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I've had this issue for as long as I can remember. But mostly just with my paddle shifters and the throttle.

for me it's steering throttle.. all of it.

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, It's a reverb g2 which I guess is a big part of why it's hard to drive. I'll look at it again but I thought I had the settings already pretty far down.

I have a Reverb G2 with a 3700x and 3070 and I haven't been able to get DR2 to run well at any settings. Even with everything at minimum it's still janky, especially in heavily treed areas. Maybe maximum frame rate is higher, but overall it doesn't feel significantly better than the 2700x + 970 I had when I first picked up the headset.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

tater_salad posted:

for me it's steering throttle.. all of it.

Use Content Manager for Assetto, it’s a way better interface and I’ve never had issues with my control profiles using it.

Eat At Blimpees!
Aug 7, 2006
It's green, it flies, it's the Goblin Zeplin!
Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition is 9$ CAD / 7$ US on Steam this weekend.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

And rally absolutely is hard, but incredibly rewarding and fun. I'll admit I could never get used to handbrake on a button and ended up buying a couple Thrustmaster Sparco handbrake/shifters for use as sequential shifter and handbrake.

It's so much harder with a wheel/pedals too--finally getting my racing cockpit and hopping into Dirt Rally 2 has been such a depressing drop in speed compared to controller. Went from occasionally just outside top 50 on community dailies/weeklies/monthlies with controller (few/no notable mistakes runs) to hoping for top 500 on decent runs. A learning experience I guess to get back where I am on controller with feel to throw the car around as well. Does seem like separate shifter/handbrake would help a lot--paddle shifters fine when driving normally, but very much slow recoveries from hard spins/crashes.

A Steam sale got me to plop down some change for Project Cars 2 (liked the original a lot besides the dumb as hell AI... seems like the 2nd is good with also still dumb as hell AI) to work up learning to better drive with my setup before rallying some more.

Play posted:

Regarding the game though, it actually is a little disappointing right now. The graphics do not look much better than 9, if they look better at all, and the performance is clearly and obviously worse than 9. I also got some fatal errors that closed the application completely. Great they added rallies and cars but the game doesn't seem to be in the best shape, right now there is no reason to play it over WRC 9 for me. Gonna refund and wait to see if this stuff gets fixed I think.

Seems about right from the reviews I watched. Maybe wait for some initial patching and a sale since it does sound like the fundamentals are an upgrade on WRC 9 (particularly for people who don't already have 8/9). Also, sounds kinda disappointing they didn't spend a minor effort to retain content (e.g. the Turkish rally which looked like fun) even if it isn't part of the official calendar. Same engine and all that, probably almost no effort to keep it in the game even if you only raced it in sub-WRC leagues (or gave an option for longer seasons including them because many people likely wouldn't care about the sanctity of the official calendar vs racing more locations).

Looten Plunder posted:

Are video cards ever going to go back to sane prices or are we stuck here?
From following the GPU market closely up until I ended up with a 3090 at MSRP (wanted a 3070, but alas was not willing to camp overnight to be that far up the Best Buy release event line), it seems like a safe assumption things will be broke till at least 2023. And might even be getting worse short term as TSMC has increased chip costs 10~20% recently so manufacturing costs'll be climbing.

I think the only possible hope near term is Intel is wading into competing with nvidia/AMD and that'll mean more discrete GPUs in early 2022. Otherwise, wouldn't count on much till the next gens of each land (end of 2022), stabilize, and new manufacturing capacity starts coming online (~2 years to build out).

Crypto + last gen GPUs being eh improvements over the previous (so people didn't upgrade and are now trying) + COVID increasing interest in gaming + other industries competing for fabs has been a perfect and lingering storm upon the market.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

bUm posted:

Seems about right from the reviews I watched. Maybe wait for some initial patching and a sale since it does sound like the fundamentals are an upgrade on WRC 9 (particularly for people who don't already have 8/9). Also, sounds kinda disappointing they didn't spend a minor effort to retain content (e.g. the Turkish rally which looked like fun) even if it isn't part of the official calendar. Same engine and all that, probably almost no effort to keep it in the game even if you only raced it in sub-WRC leagues (or gave an option for longer seasons including them because many people likely wouldn't care about the sanctity of the official calendar vs racing more locations).

Honestly after playing a tiny bit more I'm not sure this is fixable. It just looks bad, and the performance is crap. Maybe there is something going on with performance that they can fix but I don't expect a wholesale visual upgrade. Something about the way they updated the graphics just fell flat on its face. I did a rally on 10 and then one on 9 right after and I couldn't find a single point in which 10 was better. Massive disappointment for me, at least for now.

It also doesn't have Mexico which is my favorite rally from 9, and lost a few others too.

I think I'm just gonna start a new campaign on 9, I actually do enjoy working my way through the classes and to champion status and for my money it's a great game, just a shame that 10 for me is a clear downgrade.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Play posted:

Honestly after playing a tiny bit more I'm not sure this is fixable. It just looks bad, and the performance is crap. Maybe there is something going on with performance that they can fix but I don't expect a wholesale visual upgrade. Something about the way they updated the graphics just fell flat on its face. I did a rally on 10 and then one on 9 right after and I couldn't find a single point in which 10 was better. Massive disappointment for me, at least for now.

It also doesn't have Mexico which is my favorite rally from 9, and lost a few others too.

I think I'm just gonna start a new campaign on 9, I actually do enjoy working my way through the classes and to champion status and for my money it's a great game, just a shame that 10 for me is a clear downgrade.
I mean--I haven't played any yet, but watching 8/9/10 videos, the graphics are just garbage across the board; the entire franchise's graphics look closer to a 2010 game than 2020. Good thing that's not a dealbreaker in a racing game, especially a rally game where you don't see the same scenery lap after lap. At the very least it looks like they fixed the nonsense windshield reflections (unrealistically reflecting all sorts of stuff outside the car) and it being ridiculously dark on the in-car cams for no reason in broad daylight which seemed like notable and persistent visual defects in 8/9.

Even the critical reviews seemed to like the physics changes for WRC 10 vs 9 though. Although it is pretty hilarious that they made WRC 10 so unoptimized reviewers with 3090's were having performance problems on a game that's visually a potato.

If I get WRC 9 or 10, I'm well aware I'm hopping in for: 1. better tarmac rally physics, 2. a more expansive and interesting career mode, 3. more rally/stage variety, and 4. modern WRC cars. Beyond that, based on ample rally game YT content, pretty sure Dirt Rally 2 seems just better.

Just picked up AC UE on sale and F1 2021 on sale to do a co-op career with a friend so probably good to wait for awhile to see if WRC 10 gets sorted or maybe snag WRC9 if it isn't closer to the holidays, on sale.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

bUm posted:

Although it is pretty hilarious that they made WRC 10 so unoptimized reviewers with 3090's were having performance problems on a game that's visually a potato.

I’ve been playing on a 3090 and neither of these things have been true for me. :shrug:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

It's worth reminding everyone that YouTube in particular has terrible issues handling rally games because of how their compression works. I have to upscale the video to 1440p before uploading for it to not look like absolute poo poo, and it still ends up looking bad. It's just however YouTube works doesn't handle rally graphics well.

This likely carries over to other online video players, although Twitch does fairly decent.

If you're trying to analyze the graphics from videos you're watching online, they're probably going to look way worse than the game actually does. This holds for DR2.0 as well, of course.

Edit: I should clarify that they're not great no matter what, but they're perfectly fine for a rally game where you're busy driving and not looking at scenery. Performance issues (especially stutters) are real for a lot of people though.

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 7, 2021

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Made a few quick videos, YT handles ultrawide weird but if you watch at 1440p/4k quality they should be pretty good, sorry for bad driving etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhmNsJ05lD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6096sj__5L8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIRRUdq5FwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voQ7FXREqco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOXwNV3xE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFRJuVkMYqo

It's the first WRC game I've played and it doesn't look amazing or anything but I wouldn't call it bad. The antialiasing kinda sucks and is buggy and there are definitely some low poly backgrounds and stuff but overall it's fine.

E: And a DR2 video just for comparison. I think DR2 looks better, especially during replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmttclXQ6Ho

Eyud fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 8, 2021

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah 1440p or higher significantly improves the YouTube rally game issue. Even vp09 1080p is a significant mess. As mentioned, that's why I upscale now. I have test videos of the same video upscaled in post to 1440p vs uploaded at 1080p that are pretty telling.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What's up with random "Awesome!" and "Yes!" calls from the codriver lol? I couldn't see what he was so excited about.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah I dunno what the deal is with those. Feels like a bug maybe.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Eyud posted:

Made a few quick videos, YT handles ultrawide weird but if you watch at 1440p/4k quality they should be pretty good, sorry for bad driving etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voQ7FXREqco

Another thing that shows up if you do the same rally from 9 to 10: they really changed the colors somehow. Not a warm color to be seen, it's all samey washed out looking crap, mostly grey or beige or pale green. Especially the rallies like Portugal, Spain, Kenya etc. that have great colors they made it all look boring and bad. The rice fields in Japan I bet look horrible when in 9 they were cool and exciting.

Someone mentioned anti-aliasing as an explanation for why the graphics look worse, which seems right but I don't know really what that is. Something about the way they are presented, especially in fast corners and when it's trying to load a whole new view, makes it look grainy and weird.

Another weird thing is that my computer has seemed to be doing worse since WRC 10 crashed multiple times, like a game that's never ever crashed on me did so twice. Probably it's not related, maybe it isn't even possible to be related, but I'm a dumbass so I don't know that for sure. Ah well, it is what it is maybe next installment is better or maybe they do enough to fix it. Some people seem perfectly happy with it which kinda blows my mind but apparently that's the case.

Sininu posted:

What's up with random "Awesome!" and "Yes!" calls from the codriver lol? I couldn't see what he was so excited about.

When you are green in a segment of the rally they do that. They also are VERY disappointed if you go red, and if you crash into a light pole at 100 mph he will also go 'oof!' or something like that.

It's loving annoying tbh, and they didn't even put in the realistic touch I wanted where the co-driver's voice cuts in and out as they're giving the notes due to you going over a bumpy washboard section like in real life. That would actually be cool instead of annoying especially if it was just in certain super bumpy sections.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Play posted:

Someone mentioned anti-aliasing as an explanation for why the graphics look worse, which seems right but I don't know really what that is. Something about the way they are presented, especially in fast corners and when it's trying to load a whole new view, makes it look grainy and weird.

One thing that helped was turning off the super aggressive sharpening that was on by default, but it seems like there's still some sharpening that you can't fully disable. TAA smooths it out somewhat but TAA doesn't seem to work on interior cameras. I ended up using just FXAA, which isn't great but in motion I think it looks fine.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've been playing a lot of F1 and while I did get iRacing, I don't think I'm at the level of play where I can do multiplayer. The big thing for me in F1 was the management side. Motorsport Manager was my gateway drug and F1 2020/2021 got me into the driving aspect of it, and now I'm looking to branch out into another game while I wait for F1 2021 to get cleaned up. If I want to get something a bit more realistic, but also has a sort of career or management mode between races, what would it be? ACC? Forza? In F1 I loved the idea of starting my own backmarker team and building it up over time by grinding out research/races to get money/fame/etc before I start being able to really win races. Is that kind of thing available in other games alongside good sim quality?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Project Cars 2 has a somewhat fleshed out campaign mode where you choose which branch of autosport you want to progress in, I suggest this as it still has semi sim leanings and can be had for not much money so no great shakes if you don't like it.
I think it's an underrated game that got swept up in the CEO being a turd and other dramas, but the game itself is pretty solid if inconsistent

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
The only options that has somewhat decent driving and somewhat decent career progression are AC and PC2, but both are nothing more "start in slow series, progress to fast." There are no management or development decisions to make. As a fellow Motorsport Manager stan, we're waiting for a game that bridges the gap between driving and management but I don't believe you'll find a satisfying answer currently.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
"Start slow and work your way up" I can work with, too. It's still a sense of progression and accomplishment. AC or ACC? Not sure what the difference is. And I'll look up PC 2 as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've been playing a lot of F1 and while I did get iRacing, I don't think I'm at the level of play where I can do multiplayer. The big thing for me in F1 was the management side. Motorsport Manager was my gateway drug and F1 2020/2021 got me into the driving aspect of it, and now I'm looking to branch out into another game while I wait for F1 2021 to get cleaned up. If I want to get something a bit more realistic, but also has a sort of career or management mode between races, what would it be? ACC? Forza? In F1 I loved the idea of starting my own backmarker team and building it up over time by grinding out research/races to get money/fame/etc before I start being able to really win races. Is that kind of thing available in other games alongside good sim quality?

I just wanted to add that I think you're about 2-3 hours of iRacing practice (and a couple questions asked of our discord - are you in it yet?) away from really being in a fantastic spot with iRacing. Once it clicks I promise there's nothing quite the same. I also would LOVE a motorsport management sim that goes hard but right now as mentioned in the post above, this doesn't exist. Come throw some mx5s around in iRacing until then!

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
AC is Assetto Corsa and ACC is Assetto Corsa Competizione, same developers and what not but ACC is GT3 only, and even less of a single player "career" than AC. AC has all the variety in cars and tracks, ACC is all about making the GT3 experience specifically.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VelociBacon posted:

Come throw some mx5s around in iRacing until then!

Yeah honestly do this, iracing is unique and incredible fun - Don't be scared, just by being scared you already have the respect you need to do well. It's fun, and just a game - Everyone sucks in the races you'll be in at first. It's a top sim.
I mentioned P Cars 2 as it's a crazy game variety wise and it's still the only sim (I think) where if you like you can race an F1 car round classic Spa at night in the snow if you want to.
Some of the cars handle like poo poo but a lot are good enough, the career mode has you racing a good variety of cars and tracks. It's a fun time with no strings or pressure.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Some of the career progressions are a little weird, like prototypes go Radicals -> 80s group C monsters :stonk: -> LMP3 -> LMP2

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The Jag Group C is my fav car in the game, it's insane and handles well / scarily enough to feel good.
Night race in the rain at classic Spa in VR in Group C is such a good time, makes the whole game a must have purely for that to me :)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yeah I think Project Cars 2 (which is more the racing side of a career mode but goes from class to class and can be pretty fun) and WRC 9 (which also includes schedule setting, levels and upgrades, hiring and choosing your team, car settings and tires, moving to new teams, practice, etc.) are the best ones I've played.

Really the F1 series has the best campaign mode of any racing game. Which is downright loving sad honestly because it's not that great. But the upgrade system, being able to now create your own new team in F1 2021, and the practice modules where you learn how to drive and conserve on each track, are all very solid in that game. It's probably helped that it has a limited scope, and that a season in F1 is very much a campaign anyways

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There is the F1 Manager mod which I have zero experience with but heard about a while ago:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2344108860

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Looking to finally upgrade from my ancient Logitech Momo. G29s are on sale in my neck of the woods for $299 CAD, plus another $80 for the shifter. Is this still the wheel to get for a casual sim racer considering the G923 is going for $500?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have a G29 and it’s still perfectly fine, there aren’t many cases where a wheel will straight up become obsolete.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The only thing I don't like about pcars is if you pick a series your poo poo at you can't just leave it you have to cycle through all the races by loading and quitting.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'd recommend thrustmaster over Logitech solely because I like belt drive more than gear drive for inexpensive wheels. The Logitech ones are fine though - they're just a bit notchy, especially around the center. It annoys some people more than others. I used a G27 for about 5 years before my Thrustmaster TS-XW and then finally the simucube 2, so it's not like the Logitech is unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll always argue against thrust master lots of people have PSU issues with them and since they're internal you're fukt. I bought 2 T300 bases and gave up on them dying. And bought another Logitech to use before I ended up in a place in life I could afford a fanatec base. I could have gotten a fanatec for the price of the two t300 bases.