Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

How scary are the Mongols in CK3?

Just got back to my Islamic Russia/Scandinavia/Khazaria game after a long break and while I was busy conquering Hungary and Bohemia for fun the Great Khan was inching ever closer and is now on my eastern borders.

I tried to befriend him but it failed and my coward of a king won't seduce him just because "He's not attracted to men" and "homosexually is forbidden".

I have more troops then them but if horse archers are anything as scary as they were in CK2, or in real life, that might not be a deciding factor when they decide to invade.

They aren't, at all.

Unless you're playing an actual steppe tribe up there and deliberately avoid getting the decision yourself I suppose.

I've literally had them declare war on me once in about ten playthroughs and their troops were so overextended and they were fighting so many civil wars they were all dead by the time they got to my borders, like they almost literally all collapsed and died when I fought them. And that was the closest I've ever seen them come to relevance, normally they just blob up the 4 development siberian steppe and then collapse. They had so few actual troops on the field that I had to conquer halfway to Mongolia to get them to surrender, which was just time consuming.

It's actually one of my main gripes with the game that the Mongols are almost never relevant.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

What's a good Norse start? Something on the easy side would be good.

My favorite is Dyre the Stranger in Kyiv. He has awesome stats, has no vassals to worry about, owns the best duchy in Russia, is situated in a spot where you can easily migrate to anywhere in the world if you want, and starts with some bonus troops to cap it off. If you decide to move West in to Europe, you also have several brothers you can form alliances with to help you out. I usually move into India or down into Africa though.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have more troops then them but if horse archers are anything as scary as they were in CK2, or in real life, that might not be a deciding factor when they decide to invade.

Horse Archers are good, and benefit enormously from being considered Skirmishers, and so get boosted by more buildings than anything else.

Guzba posted:

I think the general idea is to race to the west to get personal control of the duchy with 2 gold mines in Mali.
Depending on how gamey you feel like being one of the best ways I imagine would be to be very loose with your culture/religion and swap either to more effectively vassalize/gobble up the independents with true ruler.

Yep, step number 1 for pretty much any Africa game is move to Mali and control all 3 gold mines. You need to build them first, but you can pretty easily get the gold from raiding. Don't hesitate to become a vassal to the king of Ghana if needed, it's not too hard to break free later once you have unlimited gold for mercs.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

why the gently caress I decided to play with making my own char

oops there goes an hour

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

if you want to be cheesy and kickstart the eugenics you can make a genius hale comely teenager that's ironman compatible and lock in strengthen bloodline on day 1

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Femtosecond posted:

Something funny I noticed last game:

I noticed that my vassal was invading the papacy for his claim on the Duchy of Tuscany and since the Papacy is pretty strong I thought this might be a good time to invade myself to advance a claim of someone in my court for a different Duchy in Papacy lands. As soon as I did that it seemed like the other neutral armies vanished and I looked and the other conflict from my vassal over the Duchy of Tuscany had vanished!

Is this just a coincidence or is there some sort of system whereby if a liege starts a war on someone, a subordinate ruler fighting a war against the same subject must end their war?

That is very much a thing. A vassal's war will immediately end inconclusively should their liege wind up with the same enemy.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

FreudianSlippers posted:

How scary are the Mongols in CK3?

Just got back to my Islamic Russia/Scandinavia/Khazaria game after a long break and while I was busy conquering Hungary and Bohemia for fun the Great Khan was inching ever closer and is now on my eastern borders.

I tried to befriend him but it failed and my coward of a king won't seduce him just because "He's not attracted to men" and "homosexually is forbidden".

If they seem threatening (they rarely are), try murdering Great Khan(s) until it falls apart into factions ruled by kids fighting each other. It's how every large blob can be defeated.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, buff Mongols, I've never seen them defeat a big state, just a bunch of steppe duchies.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I think the biggest issue for them is they try to wage so many offensive wars at once they inevitably lose half of them due to their forces being split or focusing down on one enemy while they have a dozen other wars on the other end of their empire. It's been awhile since I played, but iirc the losing penalties for their CB makes their factions grow more discontent, and that stacks quickly towards multiple civil wars.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my current game I was actively helping the mongols to see if I could make them last and be strong to attack me (never happened), by giving them money (the khan is always in debt) and helping through succession (killing extra sons so only 1 inherit)

It didint work, after a while I got distract for a bit and then when I looked again they already broke in a million pieces, like always

The mongols are pathetic, unfortunately

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 3, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

I was playing the game last night and it was borderline playable, and so I quit, and when I did I noticed that there was another instance of CK3 as a background process, taking up poo poo tons of memory? I sat there for minutes after I quit and it was still there. Steam still had the button for "stop playing" instead of "start." Bizarre. It's happened to be once before too. Anyone ever seen this?

The game in general runs fine on my machine but takes like 10 minutes to load because I think I installed it on a hard drive. Going to try to reinstall on my SSD to see how much that improves things.

I've had this happen at least a dozen times over the years of using Steam, unless it happens frequently I wouldn't worry about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Norman or Sicilian culture?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Neurion posted:

I think the biggest issue for them is they try to wage so many offensive wars at once they inevitably lose half of them due to their forces being split or focusing down on one enemy while they have a dozen other wars on the other end of their empire. It's been awhile since I played, but iirc the losing penalties for their CB makes their factions grow more discontent, and that stacks quickly towards multiple civil wars.

Yeah this is the problem. And it's not that they lose all their forces necessarily either, it's that they don't subdivide and so spend years marching back and forth across Asia before losing to ticking warscore more than anything. It's a big structural issue; the Khan's sons should be out there loving poo poo up on their own, but I'm not sure how much of their success against AI empires is dependent on the Great Khan modifiers.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this is the best paradox release yet because it took me this long to come and ask what are (if there are any) the must have mods, besides UI scaling and coat of arms designer ofc

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

That is very much a thing. A vassal's war will immediately end inconclusively should their liege wind up with the same enemy.

Ah good to know. It sort of makes sense but hadn't seen that spelled out anywhere. It was so instant I really doubted it was a coincidence.

Kind of a shame I can't "join" my vassal's war. I guess I could if I was allied with them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nah you can't call your liege or your vassals to war with you even if you're allied. It's a bit silly but that's how it is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Nah you can't call your liege or your vassals to war with you even if you're allied. It's a bit silly but that's how it is.

There is a good reason to ally your vassals though - it prevents them from joining factions against you.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The rhomaioi mod has a “theme” special contract that allows you to call vassals into external wars as allies, but it didn’t seem to be working as intended. Could be nice for the proper Byz expansion tho.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
says here pdx has a new ceo (really the old ceo came back)

hopefully doesnt impinge upon games

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/paradox-ceo-quits-over-differing-views-on-the-companys-strategy

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
K, I’m Ireland. 6 counties from forming the Empire of Britannia so I haven’t made other Kingdoms yet. Still tribal. Still Confederate Partition.

I die.

My heir gets the Kingdom of Ireland. The succession creates the Kingdoms of Wales, Scotland, and England. England is somehow inherited by my uncle. I have no claims on any of the new kingdoms.

How did my uncle inherit? Why do I not have claims? Is this a tribal thing?

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

K, I’m Ireland. 6 counties from forming the Empire of Britannia so I haven’t made other Kingdoms yet. Still tribal. Still Confederate Partition.

I die.

My heir gets the Kingdom of Ireland. The succession creates the Kingdoms of Wales, Scotland, and England. England is somehow inherited by my uncle. I have no claims on any of the new kingdoms.

How did my uncle inherit? Why do I not have claims? Is this a tribal thing?

Not sure about your uncle, but you only get claims on titles that already existed (and that you held) before succession, if I remember right. Since the titles were newly created by the succession, you get no claim on them, as your heir was never really in line to inherit them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If I am creating my own religion, do i spend piety even on things that stay the same as current religion?

I've reformed the Roman empire, mended the schism as orthodox, and so the next big challenge is creating my own religion. But it seems that even very minor changes from orthodoxy cost like 4k piety when all is said and done.

Also, is there a way to stop receiving the notification that I can create the Italian empire? Don't want to divide the realm into 2 empires, but ill click it off and it shows up again.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Afaik there's no reason not to besides the gold cost and it'll be treated as that kingdom when you die, like in the story above. Is that wrong?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Afaik there's no reason not to besides the gold cost and it'll be treated as that kingdom when you die, like in the story above. Is that wrong?

In CK2 at least there was the reason that, depending on your succession laws, your larger empire went to your heir and the other empire to your second born, making a different realm (as opposed to them inheriting a kingdom still under your main empire). Don't know if it would be the case in ck3.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

joepinetree posted:

If I am creating my own religion, do i spend piety even on things that stay the same as current religion?

I've reformed the Roman empire, mended the schism as orthodox, and so the next big challenge is creating my own religion. But it seems that even very minor changes from orthodoxy cost like 4k piety when all is said and done.

You have to pay for everything, but how much any individual thing costs depends on how far it is away from your current religious policies. No matter what you choose the base cost will end up being high, but the discounts are steep and stack additively. -50% for converting to something that exists, big bonuses when Catholicism is weak, and very importantly that learning lifestyle tree can bully the cost down to effectively zero. Remember you can always just reset your lifestyle perks too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Holy sites also often help

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is it me or is Hästeinn a hard start? I wreck poo poo with him in CKII, but here he just has to creep around raiding a bit before dying from a scheme, and then my son got holy war'ed into oblivion :/

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Tias posted:

Is it me or is Hästeinn a hard start? I wreck poo poo with him in CKII, but here he just has to creep around raiding a bit before dying from a scheme, and then my son got holy war'ed into oblivion :/

Just you. Haesteinn is OP as gently caress (for him being a Count). He has a heap of special troops, I was able to go straight for the Byazantines and take Constantinople with his starting army. If he got murdered that's just unlucky (I know one of the french kings attempted that in a couple of my start attempts), just start again if that happens as you'll lose his special troops. Dude can live to 100 with the health tree.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Word, thanks.

Also, another question. I got a person arriving who the prompt says is a 'trained healer', but they have no physician traits (only mystic, which doesn't help, does it?). Do they make a good physician?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The 'find a physician' event usually digs up utter crap, don't believe its lies. Use the character finder to find a high learning old maid with the trait.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Mystic gives you another option for treatment.

The Mystic line and Herbalist act as multipliers on the bonus from learning for safe treatment success calculations. Only learning and the Physician line are used for risky treatment AFAIK.

Tias
May 25, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

Just you. Haesteinn is OP as gently caress (for him being a Count). He has a heap of special troops, I was able to go straight for the Byazantines and take Constantinople with his starting army. If he got murdered that's just unlucky (I know one of the french kings attempted that in a couple of my start attempts), just start again if that happens as you'll lose his special troops. Dude can live to 100 with the health tree.

How do they proc? Do I have to place him in charge of the army or what?

E: even trying for Brittany gets me murked because Charles the Bald joins in right away.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 4, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tias posted:

How do they proc?

Raise troops. They don't proc really, they're just your starting troops you have available. Counties don't usually give you 3k guys

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
11 level 8 barracks + 2 level 3 blacksmiths

edit: I think Ill get another barony just to make it 150/100

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 4, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Serephina posted:

The 'find a physician' event usually digs up utter crap, don't believe its lies. Use the character finder to find a high learning old maid with the trait.

I miss the little stories from CK2's "find physician" event. Bring back the witch asking for blood, or the gentle monk. To be fair, there'll probably be a black death expansion eventually, but now it's not the time.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Serephina posted:

I generally just get a courtier married to a 20 year old with 20+ learning and good traits (compassionate, honest, wise-person is optionnal) and give him the title. If your court is large enough, the physician will gain novice in like 3-4 months and be Renowned after a few wars in 3-4 years. The physician you get from the decision are always old (35+) so it's honestly better to form them yourself.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

It's beautiful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zoux posted:

Norman or Sicilian culture?

Norman, all day every day. They get some of the best Heavy Infantry and Heavy Cavalry, they have access to the best dynasty legacy tree, and if you want you can move to England and swap to English culture for the best Archer MaA. Sicilian doesn't get anything unique, since the Sicilian Parliament decision just requires you to have your capital in Sicily, not the culture.

Elias_Maluco posted:

11 level 8 barracks + 2 level 3 blacksmiths

edit: I think Ill get another barony just to make it 150/100

Go steal Sri Lanka so you can get the regional bonus to Heavy Infantry damage (and Elephants). I often stop by Arabia on the way for the regional Ghilman innovation; -15% MaA maintenance really adds up as the game goes on. Just be aware that Mubarizun are a hard counter to your Varangians/Huscarl, although that's mostly just a problem early game when your armies are more evenly matched.

I have an idea in my head for a Roman cultured game where I try and see how high I can stack damage because Palatini have a base damage of 60, but they are a late medieval MaA, and I never end up playing that long.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

No Pants posted:

Mystic gives you another option for treatment.

The Mystic line and Herbalist act as multipliers on the bonus from learning for safe treatment success calculations. Only learning and the Physician line are used for risky treatment AFAIK.

I did not know this! I basically only ever use safe treatments so should probably reassess.

And yeah I just started a Haesteinn play through last night and got murdered by the King Charles twice (I restarted one as a result) but I’m on my third PC now control 2/3 of France.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Europe is weird in my current game:

Russian Umayyads in Africa ruling a tiny state called "Umayyad West"

Enrique of Enrique

Double Perm(ia)

Italy and Italia

Whatever the gently caress this is:

and then shortly after I took that screenshot this happened:

Religious situation:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Picked this game back up for the first time in a long while, since before the Norse flavor pack. Decided to try out a tribal for the first time and it is crazy how easy it is to expand with big vassal contribution and no-requirement CBs.

However, I just did the once in a lifetime Kingdom subjugation thing on England, taking 15ish counties all at once... and they're all Feudal. I can't re-Tribalize them or anything right? Anyone I appoint to govern one instantly turns Feudal themselves and then gets a permanent -40 malus against me on top of everything else. Am I just gonna have to deal with the whole country hating my guts until I can get the North Sea Empire decision to Feudalize the whole realm?

Fortunately though, nearing the end of my first ruler's life I am pretty well set up to form it with his son. I'm 2 counties away from forming England and just 1 away from Denmark (so they don't get formed automatically and handed out at succession) so it should hopefully be pretty straightforward to finish those off early and then spend the 30 year waiting period getting the misc other counties in the de jure region.