Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

DisgracelandUSA posted:

the intro tune would finish before I was in game (it didn't loop).

Posts you can hear

Wew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ginette Reno posted:

EQ was so damned good. Did you manage to fall off of Kelethin like a true first time EQ player?

Death attacks you for 200 damage

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Ginette Reno posted:

EQ was so damned good. Did you manage to fall off of Kelethin like a true first time EQ player?

so many times…

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
For some reason every time I made a new character I always felt the urge to bring then to Kelethin, get drunk and run around. I brought a barb warrior all the way from Halas at level 4 to do this. It took me a long time to get my first character to 20 because of this. But I always had max alcohol tolerance.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Death attacks you for 200 damage

I once fell off High Pass and got hit three times for as much damage as Cazic Thule had HP.

My brother once died because he got hit for massive damage jumping off Felwithe entrance which is maybe 10 feet.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Groovelord Neato posted:

I once fell off High Pass and got hit three times for as much damage as Cazic Thule had HP.

My brother once died because he got hit for massive damage jumping off Felwithe entrance which is maybe 10 feet.

It's night, there's a blizzard, there are at least 4 mobs after me, some of which seem to be running at or faster than the speed of sow, but at least I must be getting really close to the entrance to Kael Dra...

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Ever hit the chain links jumping off of Plane of Sky? That's a rude death

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cryptoclastic posted:

For some reason every time I made a new character I always felt the urge to bring then to Kelethin, get drunk and run around. I brought a barb warrior all the way from Halas at level 4 to do this. It took me a long time to get my first character to 20 because of this. But I always had max alcohol tolerance.

One time a friend and I logged into EQ and went around just travelling to each city, finding a nice pub inside, parking our characters there for awhile and then having some beers and talking the poo poo. Then we'd move to the next town and repeat, until we were too drunk to continue.

EQ virtual pub crawl.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I've never been to plane of sky :negative:

Probably should have stuck with blue and not rerolled on green so I'd actually have a chance of seeing endgame.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

25% xp bonus for the Labor Day weekend.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Falling off of Kelethin isn't as scary as being a necromancer and seeing guards fall off on top of you

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

On Live when I was up in Sky trying to kill Gwan for part of the monk epic, I managed to get aggro, and Gwan punched me off the side of the island. He then jumped over the side of the island after me, summoned me in mid-air, and killed me somewhere between Island 1.5 and East Freeport. I dont really remember how the hell we did the corpse recovery, but I think thats when it didnt check for Z coordinates and someone was able to "drag" me right up.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

i wonder what the first person to jump off an island in plane of sky was expecting to happen to their character

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wouldn't have been surprised if it just killed you and vaporized your corpse + gear back in those days, so i'd probably have expected that

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lakedaimon posted:

I dont really remember how the hell we did the corpse recovery, but I think thats when it didnt check for Z coordinates and someone was able to "drag" me right up.

Probably used a Necro and summoned your corpse.

We had some sky nights on p99 where we had to do coffins for basically the entire guild.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Probably used a Necro and summoned your corpse.

We had some sky nights on p99 where we had to do coffins for basically the entire guild.

I definitely remember the existential dread of thinking my corpse would rot, unrecoverable. But I think I was able to get back in time to loot Gwan, because I dont recall having to go back a second time.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 5, 2021

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Any recommendations for cash camps? I have a 56 ENC and am getting tired of ice giants, but they have a benefit of being really steady (since it’s mostly plat) and low risk. It seems like the prevailing wisdom is hit 60 and do broodmother but I’m in a static and don’t want to leave anyone behind. Preferably something I can solo at this point if anything comes to mind.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Bugs in seb maybe? Though the long term answer is get 60 and camp fungi king with as few ppl as possible

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

hell yeah, gratz

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

:kiss:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Congrats! What's next on your list? Sky belt? Weapon upgrade?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Weapon upgrade probably, addy club I think

But mainly levels

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lakedaimon posted:

Congrats! What's next on your list? Sky belt? Weapon upgrade?

My SoulFire :chaostrump:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

Weapon upgrade probably, addy club I think

But mainly levels

Is addy club better than the staff of shielding?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

epic fist/SoS is better DPS than epic fist/AC, but it looks like SoS is still pretty pricey on green.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that SoS was expensive on blue as well until Chardok AE became a thing.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 10, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kild posted:

for soloing yeah, but staff of shielding edges it out in groups and doesn't draw aggro. the stun proc is beefy as hell though.

both become irrelevant if you ever get your hands on dragon loot

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I used epic fist/sos for ages. Getting to where I have enough dork points for another big upgrade, but of course thats going to depend on drops and when im actually around. Feels good to *finally* graduate from wearing shiverback anymore, only took me like 8 years.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The shiverback legs and boots are unironically decent

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

And arms!

On Blue I actually got most of my sky quest gear on my monk before I ever saw any shiver drop in fear. I also got a sky fist before I could afford a SoS (I blew all my money on a fungi instead, duh), but then again, I spent way too much time pulling raids back then and the guild was a lot more focused on sky raids than fear/hate trash clears at that point because the sexiest loot was in Sky.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I was still rocking a shiverback wrist (to sometimes swap for blue diamond) until a few weeks ago. Only replaced the shiverback boots a few months ago when I finally got skyshrine (which isnt exactly a huge upgrade). Did have kael legs at least for the longest time, but finally upgraded those too :) (still keep them handy in a bag for the stamina buff).

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Bugen when are you reinstalling?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Bugen when are you reinstalling?

I thought we were friends man. Posting in here is as close as I'm allowed to get to the crack pipe these days.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Rolling with this sweet combination on my wizard as of this week. Also managed to pick up some Puppet Strings - what's the utility of this item beyond OT hammers? Wondering if there's anything slick I can do on these with on cleric or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I can't imagine firing up P99 ever again for anything. My run on Phinny was a lot of fun though.

Although now Chest won't ever talk to me again because he's mad about video games, lol.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

BDA was fun while it lasted. I was sorry to see them leave for Phinigel, but it gave me a good excuse to step away for a year or two.

Game still feels fresh when I'm logging in. I can't explain how or why, but I wish more games had this kind of replayability..

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm playing ESO right now with Zadrian, and I played WoW with Mars when that latest expac launched. So a few of us that connected on Discord still run into each other in the gaming sphere.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The first machine I played EverQuest on was a Pentium 1 233 Mhz with 32 MBs of ram with a 2 GB hard drive. Logging in took 30 minutes and the intro tune would finish before I was in game (it didn't loop). Zoning took between 10 and 30 minutes.

I lived in South Karana for a long time.

Amazing that the game let your client take that long to load without kicking you for inactivity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thought I was going crazy because I remembered the blue line on the xp bar existing when I played EQ back in the day and I quit not too far into Velious. So I looked up when it was added and it was the pre-Velious patch. Why don't we have it???

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
same reason we still can't change UIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dizz posted:

same reason we still can't change UIs.

But blue line is classic!