Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

having vaccines show up this quick really made things worse in the long run didn’t they. I 100% think the govts opening up after one month in 2020 were partly due to already knowing about vaccines in the pipeline and believing they would work

people are now pretending that it was ALWAYS the plan to just get everyone vaccinated as fast as possible so we can ditch restrictions (while also ditching restrictions even when that hasn't happened yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Substandard posted:

It's over and we lost.

:hai:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

They're laser focused on their goal of getting people out working/shopping.

i mean, bidens approval is plummeting, and its largely part due to mishandling the pandemic. getting rid of masks was 100% not necessary; opening schools in the last months of the school year wasnt; and doing absolutely nothing to boost vaccination rates was idiotic.

which i guess shows the dems are suicide bombers for capital’s best interests!! (no poo poo i know)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
One of my coworkers at a construction site in Kansas called me yesterday.

he’s been out for two weeks on parental leave, but prior to that everyone including him was an anti vaxxer.

Our site had to shut down Thursday because all the workers got Covid, and this guy just wanted to tell me that he got his first shot finally… Because he was not going to risk his baby getting sick even though he was hesitant in the first place

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1434000317868298240

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Salt Fish posted:

I need a shirt that says "COVID is over" to wear with the half mask. Maybe with some palm trees and poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sounds familiar. I thought you guys weren't doing much to prevent spread in the first place though? At least another Finn goon said so.

yeah, its pretty much just masks at this point but atleast we currently have the possibility of clamping down if some area gets too bad

also our media is completely silent about the situation in us, like not a peep

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

:love:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

make that tshirt bit with a skeleton sipping a tropical drink in the hammock

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
UK vaccination rate seems great (90% of 16+ with 1st dose, 80% with 2nd) but the deaths and hospitalisations are just creeping up day after day. we've gone all in on the vaccines saving us and the government must be hoping that cases trail off as immunity builds, but as we go into Autumn with the early vaxxed losing their immunity and new mutants circulating WHILST everyone thinks Covid is over and protection isn't necessary, this poo poo could get dire.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Often Abbreviated posted:

UK vaccination rate seems great (90% of 16+ with 1st dose, 80% with 2nd) but the deaths and hospitalisations are just creeping up day after day. we've gone all in on the vaccines saving us and the government must be hoping that cases trail off as immunity builds, but as we go into Autumn with the early vaxxed losing their immunity and new mutants circulating WHILST everyone thinks Covid is over and protection isn't necessary, this poo poo could get dire.

I note that the UK government was pretty gung ho on getting everyone infected so as to get to herd immunity. Now they seem pretty keen on getting everyone infected because herd immunity is impossible.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gio posted:

let it be known that patron saint of cspam, eric crackl ping, has been warning that vaccines had limited efficacy against variants since january. maybe even earlier than that.

I’m no fancy epidemiologist but I figured that since we know all sorts of vaccines lose efficacy it would have been best to warn people to maintain pandemic hygiene while testing the early vaccinated population frequently. Oops

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’m no fancy epidemiologist but I figured that since we know all sorts of vaccines lose efficacy it would have been best to warn people to maintain pandemic hygiene while testing the early vaccinated population frequently. Oops

at the time, the argument was that if you told the public the truth about the vaccine, no one would get the vaccine. so the lies had to be told or else there would be no immunity.

and now there is no immunity and the people won't get the vaccine

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Which post gave us the new thread title?

And can someone post the "Make 9/11 Every Day" meme?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nobody is gonna be able to pursue covid zero soon because now that the entire west is obsessively formalizing giving up entirely, our intelligence agencies are gonna do their favorite thing and start spreading it in countries we dont like or are making us look bad

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Greg Legg posted:

The very nice old lady who is a counselor at one of the schools I consult at wears a surgical mask but she asked me about my nf95 on Thursday so I'm going to try to drop one off to her on Wednesday because I have a bunch. That's really the only thing I can think of to do right now.
It's all we can do.

Get people convinced to get the jab, get boosted, wear proper PPE, etc.

I've probably handed out a dozen child kf94 masks by now. Countless times boosting zoro.com, behealthyusa, kollecteUSA, Kf94s, BOTN, p100, etc.

A highlight was convincing my "it's just the flu bro" coworker that no it's not, and getting them to understand the hellscape we live in to the point where they were ordering proper Honeywell p100 disposable PPE on their own.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Nobody is gonna be able to pursue covid zero soon because now that the entire west is obsessively formalizing giving up entirely, our intelligence agencies are gonna do their favorite thing and start spreading it in countries we dont like or are making us look bad

im seeing increasing amounts of articles reporting that "gun violence has increased to 1990s levels."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gio posted:

cdc working hard to manufacture consent of child death

To be fair we really don't know if Delta is actually more severe or if it's just loving everyone getting it at once. Since we don't surveillance test we don't know. I guess the colleges might figure it out and it would be pretty funny if like 10% of vaccinated 18 year olds were positive at any given moment for an entire semester due to reinfection, but then not having any symptoms ever

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

people are now pretending that it was ALWAYS the plan to just get everyone vaccinated as fast as possible so we can ditch restrictions (while also ditching restrictions even when that hasn't happened yet)

To be fair it was trump's plan all along, he was pretty clear on this. Don't test, rush the vaccine, simple. One month different and he'd have been reelected by pulling this off

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

kalensc posted:

Canadians seeking some N95-equivalent headband-style masks for fair value ($1 each, plus some S&H) may be intrigued by Eclipse products. They had good reviews, offer a variety of sizes (including smalls for the horizontal folded types, perhaps good for kids), and a lot of technical info available on their site.

https://www.eclipseinnovations.com/wp-content/uploads/EQSINN-D940-T941-C005-N150_R001_ARC.pdf

https://www.eclipseinnovations.com/wp-content/uploads/EQSINN-D940-T941-C005-N175_R001_HORIZON.pdf

https://www.eclipseinnovations.com/purchasing-respirator-and-procedure-masks/

I bought a variety of regular and large for both sorts just now to ensure that I'd have a decent amount of headband style masks for the fall and winter.

Gonna need to organize some shelf space for respirators and masks to "air out". What a time to be physically but not emotionally alive.

Thanks for this, a full day with the ear loop style can be killer. Bought a few boxes of these to try out.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

bedpan posted:

im seeing increasing amounts of articles reporting that "gun violence has increased to 1990s levels."

I feel like in the 90s we had few enough school / mass shootings that they were actually notable, so I'm going to take that as a good thing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zoro is still delivering and not canceling orders that aren't to businesses right?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Substandard posted:

I feel like in the 90s we had few enough school / mass shootings that they were actually notable, so I'm going to take that as a good thing.

it means that COVID is over. back to regularly scheduled programming.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

I think New Zealand might be able to stay zero covid because they're a tiny island at the rear end-end of the world. It's very easy to dismiss their success as unique circumstances that way. Very little threat to the narrative. The excuse has already been thrown around a lot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Substandard posted:

Lol this really shows the media circus around columbine and some later shootings really drove perception of yuppies being freaked out about Their Kids Safety compared to nearly a thousand people getting gunned down in Chicago streets year in year out and no one giving a poo poo

And hell it's not like it didn't happen earlier, my wife went to a super ritzy school district in the Midwest in the 80s where a crazed woman came in and shot some kids and her friends got hit. But it never really made the news or caused anyone to worry since the 24/7 news ecosystem didn't drive coverage and fear the same way

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

lmao not too late to claim the increase after LD is a moral failing of those who traveled without taking the recommended precautions!

Increasingly I do consider it a moral failing. But also a complete failure of government so who is to say which is the driver.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yGfQak-q9M

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Zoro is still delivering and not canceling orders that aren't to businesses right?

iirc it was grainger, the business focused side, that was canceling individual consumer orders but zoro is the more public-facing side of the business and has been reliable from most goon reports

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
My dad who is coming to visit my newborn in 2 weeks just texted me "all up to date on Tdap combo and we just got our third covid shots"
I guess he and my stepmom just walked into CVS at the end of the day and were like "we're immunocompromised, juice us up"

In case anyone was still hesitant about getting a booster under false pretenses

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

zegermans posted:

anyway after a bunch of stick beating from the governor the local school here begrudgingly made the pre-k parents meeting mask mandatory. One guy literally LIFTED HIS MASK TO COUGH

saw a dude on the street this week lift down his N95 to sneeze into the wind lol

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

One thing about our new endemic COVID world, what are parents who care about their newborns supposed to do? AFAIK pediatric vaccines aren't even being developed for <6mo children, meanwhile literally anyone could be walking around with a potentially serious viral infection asymptomatically. Do parents just try to super isolate the first six months? Otherwise just hope the infection doesn't affect their child too badly?

Guess it's the same basic situation the immunocompromised are in, but right now it seems like every single newborn going forward is going to get COVID without any kind of vaccine protection and there's nothing anyone can or will do about it. At least with measels herd immunity mostly exists.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
We had to super isolate with our newborn because our town of turbo blues had an ongoing measles outbreak the same time our kid was born. All the yoga hippie moms with husbands who made mid six figgies were refusing vaccinations or demanding they be spaced out super far apart. (those same moms now lecture everyone about the importance of getting covid shots asap)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

stone soup posted:

iirc it was grainger, the business focused side, that was canceling individual consumer orders but zoro is the more public-facing side of the business and has been reliable from most goon reports

nice, now that this is a forever thing I guess I've gotta get a more cost effective long term strategy set up

pretty funny hearing people say how things are right now is how they will always be but then bitch about how bad/slow service is anymore. that's forever too!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Computer, show me the worst county in SC right now ..

my god

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Epic High Five posted:

nice, now that this is a forever thing I guess I've gotta get a more cost effective long term strategy set up

pretty funny hearing people say how things are right now is how they will always be but then bitch about how bad/slow service is anymore. that's forever too!

A million Americans died and another 10 million are too sick to work but the labor shortage happening right now is actually because people are lazy and getting too much welfare.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Nocturtle posted:

One thing about our new endemic COVID world, what are parents who care about their newborns supposed to do? AFAIK pediatric vaccines aren't even being developed for <6mo children, meanwhile literally anyone could be walking around with a potentially serious viral infection asymptomatically. Do parents just try to super isolate the first six months? Otherwise just hope the infection doesn't affect their child too badly?

Guess it's the same basic situation the immunocompromised are in, but right now it seems like every single newborn going forward is going to get COVID without any kind of vaccine protection and there's nothing anyone can or will do about it. At least with measels herd immunity mostly exists.

You have to do this anyways. The relatively low amount of herd immunity to Pertussis means that you should tightly control access to a newborn until they've finished their TDAP cycle at 6 months.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

They've studied vaccinated pregnant women, and they do pass on antibodies to the babies.

So they can have SOME protection. As much as the vaccines offer anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Deceptive Thinker posted:

My dad who is coming to visit my newborn in 2 weeks just texted me "all up to date on Tdap combo and we just got our third covid shots"
I guess he and my stepmom just walked into CVS at the end of the day and were like "we're immunocompromised, juice us up"

In case anyone was still hesitant about getting a booster under false pretenses

I am extremely jealous of your family situation. My parents are NPR libs and my wife's parents mainline TV news so they are all vaxxed but are also full open Biden and won't even consider a booster or isolating until the authorities tell them to because why would they, COVID is over.