Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm hauling this down to the coast tomorrow. It's destined for Baton Rouge (~450 gallons of drinking water)

can’t wait for the local mayor to confiscate this so he can finally have a hot tub to relax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nodelphi posted:

They crammed 800 nursing home patients into an old underwear factory with mattresses on the floor and 4 people died. Many got sick and overheated.

Well look at that, they did learn something from katrina. That it's a real bitch dealing with the cleanup of water logged corpses in your facility so better to load em up on buses and dump them in a warehouse instead of say driving them to a hotel in Texas or whatever. Incredible.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Speleothing posted:

No it doesn't. It's a wastewater plant, so it stops your poop from going into the river. Does not provide your drinking water.

quote:

When sewage loads exceed the capacity of the Newtown Creek Sewage Treatment Facility trash, pesticides, petroleum products, PCBs, mercury, cadmium, lead, pathogenic microorganisms, and nutrients which reduce the dissolved oxygen content of the water are dumped into Newtown Creek. This dumping is referred to as a combined sewer overflow or CSO. CSOs can be triggered by as little as a tenth of an inch of rain.

Essentially anything that gets washed into the gutters from the street, anything that households and businesses flush down the toilet or dump down the drain, has a fair chance of being expelled directly into Newtown Creek or New York Harbor untreated. In New York City a CSO event occurs once a week on average, discharging approximately 500 million gallons of raw sewage directly into New York Harbor. CSOs are the single largest impairment to the quality of New York City's waters.

???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What’s your question?

Cities built in the last century or so have two sets of underground tubes: one for human waste that goes to treatment plants, one for storm drains that flows downhill to the nearest body of water.

New York City and other old cities have one set of tubes. This originally just emptied into the nearest body of water. Now we attempt to treat all the water in the system, but treatment capacity is easily overwhelmed by modest rainfall. At that point, both sewage and rainwater bypass the treatment facility and end up in the water around Manhattan.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Also that plant would have absolutely nothing to do with why the tap water smells funny

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

also iirc the tap water technically isn't kosher because it's brimming with micro-lobsters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

quote:

Copepods are sometimes found in public main water supplies, especially systems where the water is not mechanically filtered,[27] such as New York City, Boston, and San Francisco.[28]

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How did this thread explode so much in posts. I was 400 behind back on the 28th and now I'm 4000 behind

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

How did this thread explode so much in posts. I was 400 behind back on the 28th and now I'm 4000 behind

idk some kinda weather during those dates maybe no biggie

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

a catastrophic hurricane hit the country

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://twitter.com/radionic_powers/status/1433284800568303618

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sure but I didn't expect 4000 posts in less than a week. I guess this is the only weather thread worth a drat on the forums though.

Is this the second or third time NYC got inundated this season

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its rained like hell like every other day

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i'm a copepod

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

There's flooding around Gaspé, Québec this morning after the river overflowed... this is right near the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.
My wife is at her son's place over there right now and as I was worried about Larry heading north my wife sent me this:

https://i.imgur.com/MnMxNCK.mp4

Needless to say, there's not supposed to be water visible in this video.
There's evacuations in some parts, city's telling them to stay put for now and that they'll come get them if need be. Water seems to be slowing down.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The planet's dyin Cloud

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Bronze Fonz posted:

There's flooding around Gaspé, Québec this morning after the river overflowed... this is right near the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.
My wife is at her son's place over there right now and as I was worried about Larry heading north my wife sent me this:

https://i.imgur.com/MnMxNCK.mp4

Needless to say, there's not supposed to be water visible in this video.
There's evacuations in some parts, city's telling them to stay put for now and that they'll come get them if need be. Water seems to be slowing down.

that's horrifying but also incredibly impressive that you managed to record video using an actual potato

so i guess i'm saying this post is a land of contrasts

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Recorded via pomme de terre, garçon

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Didn't saguenay flood like a mother fucker back in the 90s? So that area isn't strange to inclement weather

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Good soup! posted:

The planet's dyin Cloud

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

Recorded via pomme de terre, garçon

lol

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Good soup! posted:

The planet's dyin Cloud

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

La planète se meurt Nuage

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Bronx has always known how to party.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't saguenay flood like a mother fucker back in the 90s? So that area isn't strange to inclement weather

Saguenay is a bit further down the Saint-Lawrence but yeah. I'm looking at Larry real anxiously as my wife tells me the road is flooded both ways and they don't expect to get out of there for a couple of days at least.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good soup! posted:

The planet's dyin Cloud

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/StormyDaniels/status/1433914189874094084
a true american hero :patriot:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

blatman posted:

also iirc the tap water technically isn't kosher because it's brimming with micro-lobsters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

something can't be technically not kosher, the kosherness is a ruling on the technicalities itself, not what an armchair rabbi thinks

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Current wedding day conditions.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

do Instagram links embed?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTXUBiMr1YB/?utm_medium=copy_link

Anyway here’s some wild before / after satellite images of flooding

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Over/under on Larry hitting the Northeast?

It looks like it'll curve off into the Atlantic but there's still a slight chance. :\

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

UnknownTarget posted:

Over/under on Larry hitting the Northeast?

It looks like it'll curve off into the Atlantic but there's still a slight chance. :\
Extremely low chance

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I'm anxiously hoping for Larry to gently caress off into northeastern uninhabited waters.

Come on you gently caress, go eastward you loving coward!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bronze Fonz posted:

I'm anxiously hoping for Larry to gently caress off into northeastern uninhabited waters.

Come on you gently caress, go eastward you loving coward!

On the other hand people on the northeast coast have had it easy for far to long.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, I'm so sick of this loving hotel room. Entergy said my neighborhood would be back on Sunday but then they missed so many neighborhoods they said they'd have on today.

https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/status/1434340787576258564

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh my god, I'm so sick of this loving hotel room. Entergy said my neighborhood would be back on Sunday but then they missed so many neighborhoods they said they'd have on today.

https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/status/1434340787576258564

this was an absolutely bizarre thing for them to do. it’s literally only setting up people to be disappointed when they eventually don’t need their own NLT dates.

they’re saying it’s gonna take til Sept. 29th for Terrebonne to get power fully back but I would not be surprised if that is blown out of the water down the bayou.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just a friendly reminder that spoiled food from power outages can be claimed on homeowner's/renter's insurance, but I'd imagine everyone in Hurricane Alley knows that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Anyone recall what the website is for looking at before after satellite images?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sure but I didn't expect 4000 posts in less than a week. I guess this is the only weather thread worth a drat on the forums though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762868

Next to no politics, some climate discussion but manages to avoid a lot of the doomposting found in the actual climate change thread. Weather weather weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone recall what the website is for looking at before after satellite images?

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/