Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hdip posted:

Both driver's left in ambulance's

$2,500 they'll never get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hdip posted:

School drop off this morning was interesting. There I am waiting to turn left while telling my kids not to complain about who had more turns at subway surfer on my phone.

Don't know how to make it embedded. Just click through.

https://imgur.com/WPqN1bH

Just paste the direct .mp4 URL, the forums will auto-embed without any other tags:
https://i.imgur.com/WPqN1bH.mp4

Krakkles posted:

lmao now fisheye lenses bend time as well? Ok

No, but they do bend space :science:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

PittTheElder posted:

Can't decide if you also live in Calgary or all Canadian cities just look the same in winter...

I do, it's just an old video of me being a bad driver and rolling through stop signs. I now do the full stop even though it's annoying.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the go to model of dash cam these days? My BiL recently got a unit that piggy backs off of a fuse to start when the car does, but I figured I’d ask around before I grab that model.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Viofo is real nice, and they have a wiring kit that monitors your battery voltage and will cut power to the cam so you don't get stranded with a dead battery.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Got the Garmin Mini 2 and I'm super happy with it. Super small, no glitchy problems, app works really well. I'm going to buy two more for my other cars. It's tempting having a rear camera but I think this is good enough for the moment.

I sincerely hope I never post any footage from it here :v:

I bought one of those a few weeks ago and I'm really liking it so far. Need to get off my rear end and hardwire it in

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think I have an older version of that. Did they improve the app any vs the earlier version? I recall it being passable but vaguely annoying.

Nocheez posted:

Viofo is real nice, and they have a wiring kit that monitors your battery voltage and will cut power to the cam so you don't get stranded with a dead battery.

I’ll take a look at it. This is for the wife’s nice car so she’ll have to sign off on it one way or the other.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

NoWake posted:

How I ran power to my cam, I cracked open the cigarette lighter plug that came with my cam and used its guts as the bridge between +12v to +5v USB, wrapping it in electrical tape and just kinda stuffing it in the fuse box. I soldered the +12v input lead to the pigtail of a fuse tap, plugged that into a switched circuit in the fuse box, and screwed the negative lead onto the chassis. Bing, bang, boom, pretty simple and all I had to buy was the fuse tap (and soldering stuff I already had).

A few pages ago, I asked about wiring in a dashcam into an add a fuse circuit and got this advice. Worked great, but I wanted to mention that I used the cigarette lighter plug by soldering wires onto the board after desoldering the terminal contacts. Then I fed the wires out the now empty holes, and reused the plastic casing to keep it all together. A bit more elegant than a wad of electrical tape.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Wanted to upgrade a 3 year old front only Roav to a dual channel and started looking at the Viofo A129 Duo. After a wild day going through the pro, to Blackvue 900 4k dual, then finally came back and ordered the Viofo A129 Plus Duo. The Pro model supposedly has worse visual fidelity, despite being 4k, also might have overheating issued. The plus is 2k and like $10 more than the 1080p version.

I already have hardwire in the front, and there's a great video for routing the rear camera wire cleanly.

My budget was like $300-400, but nothing in that range seemed any better?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That's the one I have and I'm happy with it. There's a video sample somewhere in the last couple of pages.

I like having front and back, good piece of mind there. Twice as many videos to check if I forgot why I saved one lol. And of course when I saw a bicyclist wreck and spill his pack of Lacroix on the sidewalk and have a seltzer fountain it was perfectly timed to be on my side and missed on both. Front video, guy on bike, rear, guy on sidewalk.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Please excuse my poor editing software zoom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGyW7wayQhE

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So...I got the A129 Plus Duo.

Figured swapping it out would be super simple, but I cannot get the ROAV mount off the windshield. Tried floss, which just resulted in some pretty deep creases in my hand. Tried heat, which let me get it started, but it's still super stuck.

Think i just need to try a few rounds of heat, but I was expecting it to come right off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bondematt posted:

So...I got the A129 Plus Duo.

Figured swapping it out would be super simple, but I cannot get the ROAV mount off the windshield. Tried floss, which just resulted in some pretty deep creases in my hand. Tried heat, which let me get it started, but it's still super stuck.

Think i just need to try a few rounds of heat, but I was expecting it to come right off.

How about the opposite, can you get your hands on a little chunk of dry ice and freeze it and scrape it off? Or since it's such a small bit a can of duster upside down?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Assuming it’s VHB, heat is probably your best bet. May need to use a proper heat gun instead of a hair drier.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

opengl128 posted:

Assuming it’s VHB, heat is probably your best bet. May need to use a proper heat gun instead of a hair drier.

Yeah, I think I just have to be braver with it.

I'm using a heat gun, but didn't want to go over the top with heat and get that nice burnt plastic smell in my car.

Hopefully have a chance to do this tomorrow.

Edit: and I think it's knockoff VHB, it's whatever ROAV shipped with ~3 years ago

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Bondematt posted:

The Pro model supposedly has worse visual fidelity, despite being 4k, also might have overheating issued.

Where'd you hear this? My footage has turned out pretty great (note I'm driving into the sun here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJsoniyaUQ) & I've seen some pretty strong evidence it does well in the heat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wc2ZVEtlNE).

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Evil Robot posted:

Where'd you hear this? My footage has turned out pretty great (note I'm driving into the sun here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJsoniyaUQ) & I've seen some pretty strong evidence it does well in the heat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wc2ZVEtlNE).

Amazon reviews, Reddit threads, dashcamtalk, and Viofo's website has a thing on what to do if you have overheating issues like turning it down to 2k.

For all I know it's BS, but there was enough of it to turn me off when I live in Socal and it hits 110 a few times a year.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I am going to be towing a trailer with an SUV, which mostly blocks my rear and side mirrors.

Is there a dashcam setup to view both sides and rear in a way that isn't stupid?

a) There's 4-channel trucking cameras which can be calibrated to give a bird's-eye view, sounds great but the screens look like they have really lovely panels. Or there's this one where you Bring Your Own Screen but the reviews are spotty and it seems to ship from China: https://www.amazon.com/Panoramic-Waterproof-Universal-Recording-CarThree/dp/B07HSWKP19/

b) There's a Mirror-Camera that is 3-channel and looks high quality, seems like it could be perfect but the included cameras are front/rear/in-car instead of left/right/rear, and the manufacturer says other cams aren't compatible so I can't customize it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L9C1XC3/

c) I found one on Aliexpress that actually makes sense, a 4-camera that will display just the three left/rear/right like I would want, but of course that takes a month to get here, would be impossible to return, and I can't find anything like it shipping stateside: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001698715074.html

Is there something I'm missing? It's weird that the C option which should be the mainstream, isn't.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why don't you just get extension tow mirrors and not fiddle with questionable camera bullshit? This is how 99.9% of people tow.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Why don't you just get extension tow mirrors and not fiddle with questionable camera bullshit? This is how 99.9% of people tow.

Yup. To be honest, you don't need to see directly behind you, I towed for years with regular mirrors. Angle them correctly so that you can just see your door handles, and you'll be fine. If you need to beck up a long distance for some reason, get a spotter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nitrox posted:

Agreed. https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11950-Universal-Towing-Mirror/dp/B00029WRKA/

Cheap and easy, other styles are linked in the related product section.

sharkytm posted:

Yup. To be honest, you don't need to see directly behind you, I towed for years with regular mirrors. Angle them correctly so that you can just see your door handles, and you'll be fine. If you need to beck up a long distance for some reason, get a spotter.
Depends on what Zero VGS means by "mostly blocks my rear and side mirrors".

Some part of the mirror should stick out beyond the width of the trailer so that you can see straight down the side. Partial blockage is fine, but if you couldn't see someone peeking around the back of it you need more mirror. The blind spot "shadow" of your trailer should be either straight back or narrowing in to the distance, not widening.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

Extension tow mirrors really kill MPG, don't give as wide of a view, are pretty small from your vantage point and still have you being blinded by headlights, all things that a "good" camera system fixes, like the rear view digital mirror that I used in a Chevy Bolt.

The extension mirrors are like 20 bucks so I'll get those anyway as a fallback I suppose, but I still would like to be able to see out the back and sides with a more comprehensive single screen. I thought maybe the dashcam thread might know of a camera that's a little less questionable?

edit: Bought some of those tow mirrors but still looking to supplement with a cam-mirror if there's any recommendations

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 7, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Extension tow mirrors really kill MPG,

...compared to...towing a trailer?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sagebrush posted:

I've been laughing at that for hours now.

I get that fuel economy still matters with a trailer and that's why a lot of semi trailers have a bunch of plastic on them now for airflow...

I'd love to see the data on the mpg hit of tow mirrors though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

It's an aero pop-up trailer!

Like, the wind "sees" those mirrors as a larger frontal area than the trailer, because the trailer is mostly hiding directly behind the SUV, while the mirrors are the least optimal shape imaginable. The trailer might actually *improve* my car's aerodynamics by removing the drag area behind it, it's more the extra axle and 2500 pounds worth of rolling resistance. But no reason to make matters worse using big honkin' mirrors if I don't need to.

A bunch of car makers have been lobbying to ditch side mirrors since 2014, not sure what the drat hold up is, while the planet is still melting: https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-auto-alliance-submit-proposal-to-eliminate-side-mirrors/

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

It's an aero pop-up trailer!

Like, the wind "sees" those mirrors as a larger frontal area than the trailer, because the trailer is mostly hiding directly behind the SUV, while the mirrors are the least optimal shape imaginable. The trailer might actually *improve* my car's aerodynamics by removing the drag area behind it, it's more the extra axle and 2500 pounds worth of rolling resistance. But no reason to make matters worse using big honkin' mirrors if I don't need to.

A bunch of car makers have been lobbying to ditch side mirrors since 2014, not sure what the drat hold up is, while the planet is still melting: https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-auto-alliance-submit-proposal-to-eliminate-side-mirrors/

Wut

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The mirrors thing is true. But I don't think there's currently a solution out there I'd trust my life to. I believe the Bolt also has a mechanical backup

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The trailer reduces the MPG by approximately 20% and the side mirrors can reduce MPG by up to 7% (and that's a figure for normal mirrors, not extended) from what I'm seeing quoted online, but it's entirely possible the majority of the drag from the trailer is rolling resistance and not wind resistance. The extended mirrors can easily be contributing more wind drag behind the car than the trailer, was my original point. Regardless it's significant enough for me to fuss over.

Charles posted:

The mirrors thing is true. But I don't think there's currently a solution out there I'd trust my life to. I believe the Bolt also has a mechanical backup

The Bolt has the same "mechanical backup" as all the "mirror dashcams" I posted, in that they are actual mirrors with an LCD display and backlight behind the mirror film. If the mirror electronics dies, it is still usable as a normal rear view mirror, which is no help when you're towing something that blocks the rear view. So in theory the mirror dashcams are even better than the Bolt mirror, because you can route the camera to the back of the trailer instead of it being fixed at the back of the car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'd probably ask at Dashcamtalk forums, I'm not sure I've seen anybody bring up a turn key solution for the extended side mirrors I mean, so probably DIY, which I would probably just carry the clip on mirrors (inside the vehicle) just in case.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Holy poo poo dude, go camping, drink a few beers, and just enjoy yourself. If an extra gallon of gas ruins your fun, maybe it's time for a new hobby.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

Holy poo poo dude, go camping, drink a few beers, and just enjoy yourself. If an extra gallon of gas ruins your fun, maybe it's time for a new hobby.

Bbbbut my em pee geez!

Unless your trailer is massively wider than your vehicle, your regular mirrors will do ok. If not, clip ons. There's no demand for a magic camera system that makes the trailer invisible like the neat GM rear view camera/mirror thing. McGuyver something if you choose, but it's going to be a kludge.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I get 10mpg towing this setup to rallycross, and have so much fun idgaf how much gas it uses. sometimes you just need to accept the cost of the hobby and have fun.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chrisgt posted:

I get 10mpg towing this setup to rallycross, and have so much fun idgaf how much gas it uses. sometimes you just need to accept the cost of the hobby and have fun.

That's... not terrible with the bigger tires and poo poo.
4.7?

I've always had a good time towing with Yotas. Even the 4Runner can put in fairly serious work. Stable, powerful, good brakes, but none of them get decent mileage. I see 8mpg with the V6 4Runners/Tacomas and around the same with 4.6 or 5.7 V8 Tundras, even though this whole state is flat as a pancake.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

That's... not terrible with the bigger tires and poo poo.
4.7?

I've always had a good time towing with Yotas. Even the 4Runner can put in fairly serious work. Stable, powerful, good brakes, but none of them get decent mileage. I see 8mpg with the V6 4Runners/Tacomas and around the same with 4.6 or 5.7 V8 Tundras, even though this whole state is flat as a pancake.

Yea, it's an 02, so it has the non-vvti 4.7 and the 4 speed transmission.
Honestly, the 33's are probably better since I can leave it in 3rd gear all the time. Overdrive in the 00-02 transmissions is rather weak, so it's a very bad idea to tow in OD. This thing has 311k miles on it, too...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can tow a pop-up camper without additional mirrors or cameras or anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Finally decided to order a dashcam after seeing this one for like $36:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...96137dfac9b0b77

There are a bunch of sellers and I think mine was a chinese versions but whatever. Seems like a good option of you don't particularly care about image quality or silly features. Or just something to toss into your 5th car or whatever. Will report back with some footage once it arrives.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Or just something to toss into your 5th car or whatever.

i feel personally attacked by this. but change 5th to ... 10th.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chrisgt posted:

i feel personally attacked by this. but change 5th to ... 10th.

I've been here long enough to know the audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I'm looking at getting the A119 v3 since it seems to be the best bang for buck recommendation for a dashcam, but I'm a bit worried about weather.

It's advertised as "extreme" weather resistance, but the little pic on Amazon shows the "extreme" weather to be -10C. For those in more northern climates where it can get to -30C or even occassionally -40C, how will these cameras stand up to that kind of cold, even if they are mounted inside the car?