Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Lol, even the Beatles took the time to slap down Mao and they were never the type of band use sharp elbows in their commentary.

What time period was this published? If it’s the 70s, then the father probably remembers Mao very well from the Korean War.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Xerxes17 posted:

An apartment, a car wife and a job.

ftfy.

Separate note, I don't know if I am happy or sad that I haven't seen any street making GBS threads videos for what seems like 2+ years.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
We've had C-SPAM poo poo where they eat for twice that, would that count?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

WarpedNaba posted:

We've had C-SPAM poo poo where they eat for twice that, would that count?

It close, but no cigar, nor spray, nor in an elevator at a mall.

I'm just surprised the formerly ubiquitous street making GBS threads vids seem to have dried up and blown away into thin air.

Did the CPC drop a directive that put the wind up people?

E:
https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/02/fbi-china-hacking-uyghurs/

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

url posted:

ftfy.

Separate note, I don't know if I am happy or sad that I haven't seen any street making GBS threads videos for what seems like 2+ years.

These are the 3 things you need to get a wife at the marriage market.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

url posted:

probably something to do with everyone getting welded into theiir houses

hell i'd be convinced of lab made covid if you told me it was to stop everyone spitting and making GBS threads at every corner

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What are the three wishes?

I wish I was little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good

Chairman Mao didn't ultimately really figure into it that much.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What are the three wishes?

Long life for emperor Xi
Complete knowledge of Xi Jinping Thought
Not to be thrown into a concentration camp

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the djinn grants ur wishes:

Darkest Auer posted:

Long life for emperor Xi
long life relative to a fly

quote:

Complete knowledge of Xi Jinping Thought
you now know all of xi jinping's thoughts. but mostly he just thinks of onlyfans.

quote:

Not to be thrown into a concentration camp
done. you wake up in an internment camp

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Fur20 posted:

the djinn grants ur wishes:

long life relative to a fly

you now know all of xi jinping's thoughts. but mostly he just thinks of onlyfans.

done. you wake up in an internment a vocational training camp

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I m gonna give my western uneducated 2 cents.

Remember D&D poster prestor jane? They had that thread in D&D about authoritarians. Prestor is/was a mentally ill and grew up in basically a cult. I can relate because I have a more mild but similar experience.

Anyway prestor used their own language and terms to describe how a group of people will go through cycles and self radicalize.

World view point one.

1) there is evil in the world caused by the aintichrist/conservative/liberals/Soros/Westerners/Capitalism/Comunisits/The Dutch etc.

2) God/conservatism/liberials/free market/communism etc is destined to win, against the source of evil and I am the agent of this greater power thus people should do as I say for the greator good.

3) when one group got caught up in a purity spiral and denounces other members for not being "true believers" it has two effects

a) The left over group is now more extreme and fanatical after the purdge

b) The cast outs also become more extreme because well if given the choice between being kicked out or doing the kicking they d rather be the latter.

I think the CCP is having an internal conflict and there is basically mao struggle sessions part 2.

I wonder if we ll get the cultural revolution part 2 as well.

The leadership says "we need X" and the underlings work to show how good and loyal they are to the correct faction in the party.

I wouldnt be surprised if part of this is to just put a fater yok on tech/media companies.

If they wanted to make more manly men they d have to start running "training camps"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I heard xi jinping farted so hard his wife came

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GoutPatrol posted:

phenomenal, but also I dont doubt it for a moment

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Xi Jinping put his balls in 18 holes with one stroke.....

Then he went golfing :grin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GoutPatrol posted:

Hmm. Maybe we aren't so different after all.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

First time I've heard of a brown note managing that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
we said farted not sharted. winnie the pooh does not poop

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Ups_rail posted:

I think the CCP is having an internal conflict and there is basically mao struggle sessions part 2.

I wonder if we ll get the cultural revolution part 2 as well.

The leadership says "we need X" and the underlings work to show how good and loyal they are to the correct faction in the party.

I wouldnt be surprised if part of this is to just put a fater yok on tech/media companies.

If they wanted to make more manly men they d have to start running "training camps"

The CCP is definitely not having an internal conflict right now. The closest example of "conflict" would be around 2013 to 2016 when Xi was going after his political rivals through the anticorruption campaign. At this point, Xi is firmly in control of the CCP.

The stuff with "defending" masculinity and going after LGBT+ is just bog-standard ethnic nationalism under authoritarian regimes. Lots of authoritarian governments justify their rule by claiming to be strengthening the people and defending the unique culture of the country. This is tied up with the aesthetics of the country, because the government wants to be able to use visual propaganda to prove how tough and manly the country is under their rule. Anything to the contrary undermines that claim, which in turn undermines the government's legitimacy.

This kind of obsession over aesthetics is probably happening more in China because economic growth has slowed down. Previously, the government could point to the gigantic leaps in living standards as justification for their rule, but those days are over now.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CIGNX posted:

This kind of obsession over aesthetics is probably happening more in China because economic growth has slowed down. Previously, the government could point to the gigantic leaps in living standards as justification for their rule, but those days are over now.

The economy has slowed down, and you know whose fault it is? The twinks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Authoritarian nationalist governments deciding to promote an idealized form of masculinity is just standard fascist playbook stuff. I don't think there's anything deeper to it than that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Authoritarian nationalist governments deciding to promote an idealized form of masculinity is just standard fascist playbook stuff. I don't think there's anything deeper to it than that.

I mean, it's not even specifically fascist, it's just social conservatism meets authoritarianism. Soviet Union basically did the same from the 30s onwards for example.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I think it's also interesting, (in general terms, not only in this particular CCP case), that they are cracking down on "feminine men", and not "masculine women".

This is not to say that the CCP culture warriors and gender defenders aren't against such horrible disharmony as short haired sport playing unmarried childless harlots. But more that they choose to go after, and publicly decry girlymen.

I suppose an argument for this could be that these pretty boys are more prominent in entertainment/social media etc. and are an easier target. Also that you target the "unwomanly" women in other, far more nasty and horrible ways than just banning them from TV.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think it's also interesting, (in general terms, not only in this particular CCP case), that they are cracking down on "feminine men", and not "masculine women".

This is not to say that the CCP culture warriors and gender defenders aren't against such horrible disharmony as short haired sport playing unmarried childless harlots. But more that they choose to go after, and publicly decry girlymen.

I suppose an argument for this could be that these pretty boys are more prominent in entertainment/social media etc. and are an easier target. Also that you target the "unwomanly" women in other, far more nasty and horrible ways than just banning them from TV.

That’s just standard misogyny. Manly women are fine as they aspire to be men. But there is nothing worse than being a woman so an effeminate man is an abomination

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Uhhh, you sure about that, chief?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

I thought women hold up half of the sky though???

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

sticksy posted:

And if they know what's good for them, they'll stick to their half!

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

sticksy posted:

Unironically would love to bring post-Nixon Mao back from the grave to see what the hongerdai are doing to neo-China. He'd go loving catatonic.

Would also love to be a fly on the wall in Jiang Zemin's residence. That toad is probably howling every drat day watching the current admins undo decades of progress that he fought tooth and nail for.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Dont Touch ME posted:

Unironically would love to bring post-Nixon Mao back from the grave to see what the hongerdai are doing to neo-China. He'd go loving catatonic.

Would also love to be a fly on the wall in Jiang Zemin's residence. That toad is probably howling every drat day watching the current admins undo decades of progress that he fought tooth and nail for.

I've heard rumors that there's a ton of backroom fighting between Jiang and Xi and their proxies about the future of China

I agree that I'd love to be a fly on those walls

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jiangs protegees were bo xilai and zhou yongkang so really the fighting was mainly in the early part of the 2010s and the jiang faction lost

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Well, I would say the fighting was happening during Hu's presidency. Xi's election was the result of the hongerdais winning out over the 3 represents crew in the back rooms.

Nobody lost as much as Hu though. Dude got caught out in a tug of war with his limbs and left his office so utterly disgusted that he has basically dipped out of politics entirely. This was before Xi and friends went great purges on potential threats, of course, so it turned out to be pretty wise. Of course, I doubt he's very happy with things either. Hu Jintao is like the epitome of stable moderationism. Xi tearing down the status quo and riling up the forces of nationalism once again has put China in an awkward position when it comes to the future.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 7, 2021

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. Reminds me of that black basketball player who posted a pic of a Chinese woman giving him a lap dance and then he was promptly banned for life from the CBA and all of his social media got flooded with racist poo poo from angry Chinese who felt threatened by a black man "taking" one of "their" women. The ban on feminine men is not that surprising given how deep the fragile masculinity runs.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

jiangs protegees were bo xilai and zhou yongkang so really the fighting was mainly in the early part of the 2010s and the jiang faction lost

Ooooo see I didn't know this

Now the purges make sense (in a weird way)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
"Zombie Mao returns to conquer" would probably be a more dignified fate than what is actually in store.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Great Leap Forward 2: Xi-lectric Boogaloo when

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 7, 2021

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Atopian posted:

"Zombie Mao returns to conquer" would probably be a more dignified fate than what is actually in store.

MUST

CLEANSE

PENIS

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

low key sex master posted:

Great Leap Forward 2: Xi-lectric Boogaloo
i'd do it myself, but...

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

WarpedNaba posted:

MUST

CLEANSE

PENIS

*Mst3k riffs*

"That's a lot of cleansing!"

"That's a lot of penis!"

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Orc Priest posted:

Yeah. Reminds me of that black basketball player who posted a pic of a Chinese woman giving him a lap dance and then he was promptly banned for life from the CBA and all of his social media got flooded with racist poo poo from angry Chinese who felt threatened by a black man "taking" one of "their" women. The ban on feminine men is not that surprising given how deep the fragile masculinity runs.

Them mooncakes tho

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Orc Priest posted:

The myth of pasty, gangly white guys being ladykillers in China is a bit of an exaggeration, but there is some truth in it, especially if you know a bit of Chinese. I've known colleagues that get a girlfriend within a week of arriving in China.

These dudes will also be shouted at by Chinese dudes for stealing their women.

E: this whole pushback on LGBT folks by the CPC has people running scared. There are groups that had to relabel themselves, "Friends of Dorothy" style. Chinese LGBT folk are mentioning that universities are collecting lists of LGBT folks. Interesting times.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
How hard is it generally for a mainland Chinese person to fully immigrate to Taiwan? Seems like that would be a good option for LGBT Chinese and other minorities, given Taiwan's more tolerant stance on these issues, but I know immigration in Asia is typically hellish or nonexistent, even among the non-authoritarian countries.