Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Are the magenta mystery snails good? I miss having my snails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Aerofallosov posted:

All snails are good. Yet to find one that is worth plucking out of my tank and am thinking of intentionally adding some MTS to stir up my substrate

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Aerofallosov posted:

The magenta's are my favorite! I honestly never saw a material difference between any of the colors though - I've had ivory, purple, and magenta and they all seemed to eat and poop the same.

They just scoot around the tank having a good time :3:

I had a purple female once that was bound and determined to get out of the tank to lay her clutch though, so that was interesting! I found her at least 5 different times outside of the tank, sometimes hours and at least once for over a day. The breeder I got them from has told me she's found them in rooms across the house from her aquariums!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Aerofallosov posted:

Tell me about your tank and I will recommend unto you the perfect snails.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hi posted:

I started my anti algae regimen now that Im home, will report back with results.

I got the stuff for mine, but I also got a much fancier testing kit and my pH is waaaay too high. idk what happened (I recently removed a driftwood log, maybe that did it) but I gotta fix that first.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Desert Bus posted:

Tell me about your tank and I will recommend unto you the perfect snails.

I am running a 20 gallon planted aquarium. Have an Amano squad, couple of German Rams and 5 rasboras. I am looking to upgrade to 29 or 32 gallons at some point when I have a steady income. I want me some of those hillstream loaches. They look amazing, but dang. It's hard to find the little dudes.

candystarlight posted:

The magenta's are my favorite! I honestly never saw a material difference between any of the colors though - I've had ivory, purple, and magenta and they all seemed to eat and poop the same.

They just scoot around the tank having a good time :3:

I had a purple female once that was bound and determined to get out of the tank to lay her clutch though, so that was interesting! I found her at least 5 different times outside of the tank, sometimes hours and at least once for over a day. The breeder I got them from has told me she's found them in rooms across the house from her aquariums!

Sounds good, although wow at that snail, going with that much determination.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

There was someone a while back that wanted green hair algae. I'm here to say that I have a fistful sized gob if you're still in need and live in the US!

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

candystarlight posted:

There was someone a while back that wanted green hair algae. I'm here to say that I have a fistful sized gob if you're still in need and live in the US!

What reason would someone want green hair algae? Im actively trying to get rid of it as its choking the life out of every actual plant in my tank

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

My pre filter sponge is currently full of tiny shrimp. Trying to think of some way to clean it without hurting them.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Hi posted:

What reason would someone want green hair algae? Im actively trying to get rid of it as its choking the life out of every actual plant in my tank

IIRC it was being used as a decor? I'd bet it could be used as a spawning mop too. I let it grow on my driftwood along with the java moss and I don't mind it there. I do mind it absolutely taking over all of my water lettuce roots though!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Warbadger posted:

My pre filter sponge is currently full of tiny shrimp. Trying to think of some way to clean it without hurting them.
I find if you go slow enough, shrimp would rather let go than be pulled out of the water. If you turn off your filter and slowly remove the sponge (or move it in and out of the water) the babies should swim clear. I tend to wash my sponges in a separate tub so I can check it for stray shrimp later on once the water has settled. You could always leave it for now if it isn't super clogged.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stoca Zola posted:

I find if you go slow enough, shrimp would rather let go than be pulled out of the water. If you turn off your filter and slowly remove the sponge (or move it in and out of the water) the babies should swim clear. I tend to wash my sponges in a separate tub so I can check it for stray shrimp later on once the water has settled. You could always leave it for now if it isn't super clogged.

yeah just v gently swish it around/pull it in and out of the water until the skrimps wash off

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

I'll try that but I'll have to do that outside the tank. Probably just net the whole thing out and fill a small container to dip it in. At this size if they start swimming around near the surface they're fish food.

New tank should come in Friday. I'm hoping to get the filters cleaned before moving everything over.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
A friend of mine just gave me a saltwater tank (32 gallons, roughly). It's an older model of this one: http://www.jeboaquarium.com/r362kg.html

I'm super excited, because I've been wanting to get into saltwater for a while. I have two tanks running right now as freshwater blackwater tanks, a 38 gallon and a 36 gallon bowfront. I really love natural looking tanks with a lot of wood for freshwater, and I love my inverts. In freshwater, I have one tank that is danios (zebra and white mountain) and medaka rice fish, cherry shrimp and nerites, and in the other I have a variety, more shrimp and mystery snails. I think my variety tank is going to be gradually turned into a wrestling half-beak, pencil fish, clown kili and celestial pearl danio tank, with bamboo shrimp. I also love my little pugilistic tiny tiger badis, too, so they're staying. I had threadfin rainbows at one point and fell head over heals for them, but haven't had much luck keeping them healthy. They thrive for a few months, even mating, but are super sensitive to any fluctuations. Does anyone keep them? I would forego the CPD squad for a small group of threadfins - the males are so gorgeous when they're showing off.

I'm planning a reef tank with macroalgae, pajama cardinalfish, marine hermit crabs, a green clown goby (two if the tank is large enough), maybe a yellow watchman goby (would the two species of goby be a problem?) and peppermint shrimp. I'm not sure about stocking ratios in saltwater, I know it's lower than fresh, so I'm worried I might be overdoing it. I'd love to have an ocellaris clownfish as well. The tank has live rock in it, but I'm going to add fresh live sand and a piece or two of new live rock to it, since it's been about six or seven years since the tank had fish. It's going to be at least six weeks before I put anything that moves in there, so I have some time to think about it. I'd like to have a good invert clean-up crew, since the ones in my freshwater tank have been amazing at cutting the work load. Any advice for a saltwater beginner? Anything that works in freshwater that would spell disaster in salt (I already know no wood!)?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The shrimp get everywhere. You cannot save them all.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

I’m going to try damnit!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

My 10g is my "shrimp tank" but I think i've had better luck with the random neo culls i dumped into my 29g, The 10g Amano's are doing great and some get to get moved soon.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BONGHITZ posted:

quote:

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf.

Then, smiling at the man, he said…..“I made a difference for that one.”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bonster posted:

A friend of mine just gave me a saltwater tank (32 gallons, roughly). It's an older model of this one: http://www.jeboaquarium.com/r362kg.html

Any advice for a saltwater beginner? Anything that works in freshwater that would spell disaster in salt (I already know no wood!)?

A free saltwater aquarium is like a free cat.

Also, test daily at a minimum, until you get comfy with how your tank behaves over time.

But ya, free cat.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Yeah, but it's a cat when all I've owned is dogs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bonster posted:

Yeah, but it's a cat when all I've owned is dogs.

Been there done that, my friend. :v:

Just remember that the only things that happen fast in a saltwater aquarium are bad things.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

MrYenko posted:

Been there done that, my friend. :v:

Just remember that the only things that happen fast in a saltwater aquarium are bad things.

Expect nightmares! Got it!

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

That's funny, we named the last fireworm we found Nightmare...

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Wandering Orange posted:

That's funny, we named the last fireworm we found Nightmare...

back in the early 90s when you could still get away with such a thing my father brought Styrofoam coolers full of coral back from the Bahamas for his salt water reef tank, it was a small probably 30 gallon tank with an anemone and three little clown fish, after about a week one of the clowns went missing, then another, then one day early in the morning on my way to school I saw it... some like two foot long red nightmare fuel worm that seemed to be both scaled and have huge mandibles. that was like a life time ago and I still remember that worm vividly.

ANYWAY, I decided to try the blasting grit everyone was talking about and it looks really nice, I got the blue bag from TSC (medium grit) and washed it thoroughly before putting it in tank and have had no issues... my crayfish molted yesterday too so hes bright shiny and new so decided to take a moment for a photo op

~Radiant~

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Hi posted:

back in the early 90s when you could still get away with such a thing my father brought Styrofoam coolers full of coral back from the Bahamas for his salt water reef tank, it was a small probably 30 gallon tank with an anemone and three little clown fish, after about a week one of the clowns went missing, then another, then one day early in the morning on my way to school I saw it... some like two foot long red nightmare fuel worm that seemed to be both scaled and have huge mandibles. that was like a life time ago and I still remember that worm vividly.

Bobbit worm

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bonster posted:

I'm super excited, because I've been wanting to get into saltwater for a while. I have two tanks running right now as freshwater blackwater tanks, a 38 gallon and a 36 gallon bowfront. I really love natural looking tanks with a lot of wood for freshwater, and I love my inverts. In freshwater, I have one tank that is danios (zebra and white mountain) and medaka rice fish, cherry shrimp and nerites, and in the other I have a variety, more shrimp and mystery snails. I think my variety tank is going to be gradually turned into a wrestling half-beak, pencil fish, clown kili and celestial pearl danio tank, with bamboo shrimp. I also love my little pugilistic tiny tiger badis, too, so they're staying. I had threadfin rainbows at one point and fell head over heals for them, but haven't had much luck keeping them healthy. They thrive for a few months, even mating, but are super sensitive to any fluctuations. Does anyone keep them? I would forego the CPD squad for a small group of threadfins - the males are so gorgeous when they're showing off.

I'm planning a reef tank with macroalgae, pajama cardinalfish, marine hermit crabs, a green clown goby (two if the tank is large enough), maybe a yellow watchman goby (would the two species of goby be a problem?) and peppermint shrimp. I'm not sure about stocking ratios in saltwater, I know it's lower than fresh, so I'm worried I might be overdoing it. I'd love to have an ocellaris clownfish as well. The tank has live rock in it, but I'm going to add fresh live sand and a piece or two of new live rock to it, since it's been about six or seven years since the tank had fish. It's going to be at least six weeks before I put anything that moves in there, so I have some time to think about it. I'd like to have a good invert clean-up crew, since the ones in my freshwater tank have been amazing at cutting the work load. Any advice for a saltwater beginner? Anything that works in freshwater that would spell disaster in salt (I already know no wood!)?

I'd limit to one goby to start. What stock is in there already?

IIRC threadfins are often wild caught and ship poorly and usually only males. Also, don't get clown killis if you have other fish in there, they won't get enough food.

The big thing with marine tanks is that poo poo goes bad, fast, and you don't get the curve of mistakes like with much freshwater, where a lot of animals have been captive bred for a while, or at least not shipped across the world. Avoid damselfish and their relatives (they are super loving territorial) and QT. QT QT QT QT even if it kills you because it is much easier to treat a fish with ich in a QT tank than in a reef. Oh, and avoid copper! And always keep some spare saltwater on hand.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

my favorite reefers are the ones that find horror worms like that and decide to keep them, either by moving out all the valuable livestock, moving out the worm (exponentially more difficult, in no small part because they can break off segments and reproduce that way), or just by committing to keeping the tank really really really well-fed

Apparently they don’t need much room since they spend all their time coiled up in rock/sand crevices, like even a 10-20gal is sufficient for a large adult and its not super hard to keep them happy for years

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 3, 2021

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'd limit to one goby to start. What stock is in there already?

IIRC threadfins are often wild caught and ship poorly and usually only males. Also, don't get clown killis if you have other fish in there, they won't get enough food.

The big thing with marine tanks is that poo poo goes bad, fast, and you don't get the curve of mistakes like with much freshwater, where a lot of animals have been captive bred for a while, or at least not shipped across the world. Avoid damselfish and their relatives (they are super loving territorial) and QT. QT QT QT QT even if it kills you because it is much easier to treat a fish with ich in a QT tank than in a reef. Oh, and avoid copper! And always keep some spare saltwater on hand.

I have clown kilis already, they've been doing really well for about a year now. They don't seem to mind muscling in to get their fair share. I do keep an eye on them to make sure they get what they need.

Right now there's no stock in the tank, it's been empty for a while. I've ordered some fresh live sand to help kick off the cycling. I do have two empty tanks I can use for QT - thanks for reminding me to get one of those set up!

I have inverts in all my tanks, so copper is the devil.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You're gonna want a RODI unit for making water. Buying water from the fish store just turns into an excuse to putting off water changes, and it's always good to be able to whip up a batch of water when needed in emergencies.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Is there a good way to do that in an apartment? I'm only seeing plumbing systems and I can't make changes that big.

ETA: Nevermind, found some!

Bonster fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 3, 2021

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

After an evening of work there is now a box with water in it sitting in my living room. Still waiting on the backdrop, pretty happy that everyone seems to have survived the tank transfer.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Very pretty!

Tank transfers are such a pain. I will always remember moving my 90 gallon back home: the tank was pretty much a catchall at the time. Duckweed blocked out nearly all the light, I had a horrible mix of plecos, some Tropheus juvies, and some discus I was given, banjo cats, and somehow everyone survived. Even the Tang cichlid fry. But resetting that tank up, I'd rather face a firing squad.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Very pretty!

Tank transfers are such a pain. I will always remember moving my 90 gallon back home: the tank was pretty much a catchall at the time. Duckweed blocked out nearly all the light, I had a horrible mix of plecos, some Tropheus juvies, and some discus I was given, banjo cats, and somehow everyone survived. Even the Tang cichlid fry. But resetting that tank up, I'd rather face a firing squad.

Yeah. I put in new gravel and despite washing the hell out of it there was still a lot of silt. Throw in the debris carried over with the old gravel and I couldn't even see the bottom when it came time to move the hardscape and plants. Then I had to fish out probably 30+ tiny shrimp at the very end - a lot more than I thought there were. On the positive side the filters cleared things up pretty quick once I got them running.

On that note if anyone in Northern Virginia wants a 40G breeder tank with stand let me know.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

But resetting that tank up, I'd rather face a firing squad.

^^^This. Thought I'd be clever and spend my Labor Day weekend disassembling my 125 and I'm now regretting being born.

On the bright side, my shrimp trap is also catching fish which means, well, less fishing!

First catch -
17 assassins
6 embers
2 CPD's
4 scrimp

http://imgur.com/gallery/mOoB9yb

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

One week update:

That Excel stuff is a miracle serum, algae us 99% gone, the plants are fine the fish are fine. tank looks muuuuuch better in just a week. Went and got a few more plants today.

Do I need to continue with the excel daily, or once the algaes gone can I let it slowly go back to normal, at least till algae crops back up again?

Thanks for the advice everyone , you helped me turn this tank around quick

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I am still slow on sending out plants/snails sorry everyone! Forgot I had to house sit the next two weekends.

Hi posted:

One week update:

That Excel stuff is a miracle serum, algae us 99% gone, the plants are fine the fish are fine. tank looks muuuuuch better in just a week. Went and got a few more plants today.

Do I need to continue with the excel daily, or once the algaes gone can I let it slowly go back to normal, at least till algae crops back up again?

Thanks for the advice everyone , you helped me turn this tank around quick

Just go back to normal, if it crops up again go back to the higher doses, but gently caress is it ever an anti-algae miracle cure.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I was waiting for my snail mail to begin Excel, but if they're on their way I'll start now.

I had to do algebra to figure out the approximate dosage for my 12 gallon and came up with approximately .5ml.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

I am still slow on sending out plants/snails sorry everyone! Forgot I had to house sit the next two weekends.

Just go back to normal, if it crops up again go back to the higher doses, but gently caress is it ever an anti-algae miracle cure.

Im still definitely interested. lot of room left to plant in this 75g

and Yea no joke, I honestly did not expect all the algae to just vanish in the space of a week... idk if its the ramshorn snail explosion, as well or what but I expected the Excel to like slow growth, or maybe stop it, or maybe even leave a lot of dead gross brown decaying algae... but no it just straight up vanished in almost exactly a week. My real plants even showing signs of sprouting new leaves, Impressive stuff.

Edit: Someone recommend me a good rule of thumb for feeding? I picked up 4 more mollys today when I was getting more plants, just for some additional color and it feels like somehow adding 4 thumb sized mollys has taken my tank from eating a big pinch of flakes once or twice a day to ive fed like 5 times already and they all seem so hungry and eager to eat the flakes never even make it to the bottom of the tank. I have always heard "as much as they can eat in 2 minutes" is a good rule of thumb, if theres left over after 2 minutes youre over feeding... but it seems like a bottomless pit now and Im afraid of over feeding and blowing up nitrates and algae.

Hi fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 7, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have a jarrarium with some (I think) bladder snails, should I add some of those to my tank for the algae? Or should I just wait for my Malaysian trumpet snails?

Pond in a jar. It's been chugging along for at least four years. I just dump any odds and ends of plants from my 12 gallon in there. For some reason, the snails died out in the big tank, but a few have survived in the jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hi posted:

Im still definitely interested. lot of room left to plant in this 75g

and Yea no joke, I honestly did not expect all the algae to just vanish in the space of a week... idk if its the ramshorn snail explosion, as well or what but I expected the Excel to like slow growth, or maybe stop it, or maybe even leave a lot of dead gross brown decaying algae... but no it just straight up vanished in almost exactly a week. My real plants even showing signs of sprouting new leaves, Impressive stuff.

Edit: Someone recommend me a good rule of thumb for feeding? I picked up 4 more mollys today when I was getting more plants, just for some additional color and it feels like somehow adding 4 thumb sized mollys has taken my tank from eating a big pinch of flakes once or twice a day to ive fed like 5 times already and they all seem so hungry and eager to eat the flakes never even make it to the bottom of the tank. I have always heard "as much as they can eat in 2 minutes" is a good rule of thumb, if theres left over after 2 minutes youre over feeding... but it seems like a bottomless pit now and Im afraid of over feeding and blowing up nitrates and algae.

I completely 100% forgot I had to house-sit/cat-sit last weekend and this coming weekend. Saturday is like, the day I can ship poo poo, but i'm gonna be super busy drinking vodka and jacking off. I'll try to send stuff out this week but...

None of you have been forgotten life just got more complicated than usual.