Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Only a third of the way through, but this death montage is really funny. Like lol the universe really wants this girl dead, gently caress.

(I assume someone is pulling strings on that, but still).

Ok at the fight, what a bummer that in the realm of animation where they can do and show literally anything, the fight ends with them falling out of the sky punching eachother. Dream bigger! Legion has forever spoiled me on magic fights that aren't creative endeavors perhaps.

The immediate hubris is pretty fantastic though. Love that he can talk to the Watcher and that it does end with their universe collapsing. Impressed they actually went with such a bleak ending.

Was expecting the butterfly-effect ending where he goes back in time and accepts her passing, but nope. Hell forever instead. Bold and good.

Where was the TVA when ya need em'.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All I could see was Cheryl from Archer.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Doctor Strange episode had the best animation of the season so far. Mad props to the team at Flying Bark in Australia.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

Only a third of the way through, but this death montage is really funny. Like lol the universe really wants this girl dead, gently caress.

(I assume someone is pulling strings on that, but still).

Ok at the fight, what a bummer that in the realm of animation where they can do and show literally anything, the fight ends with them falling out of the sky punching eachother. Dream bigger! Legion has forever spoiled me on magic fights that aren't creative endeavors perhaps.

The immediate hubris is pretty fantastic though. Love that he can talk to the Watcher and that it does end with their universe collapsing. Impressed they actually went with such a bleak ending.

Was expecting the butterfly-effect ending where he goes back in time and accepts her passing, but nope. Hell forever instead. Bold and good.

Aren't all MCU action scenes ultimately animation? Like, I don't think we ever actually see Holland in the suit on camera. They always take him out and just put in an fully CG Spider-Man.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Shang-Chi was great, definitely avoid spoilers for it. A had a big crowd and they were really into it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

live with fruit posted:

Aren't all MCU action scenes ultimately animation? Like, I don't think we ever actually see Holland in the suit on camera. They always take him out and just put in an fully CG Spider-Man.

https://i.imgur.com/CkHJ7iU.mp4

I know this isn't action but I just think this is funny

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Polgas posted:

Hey thread, I finally got to watch the falcon and winter soldier and it was pretty hilarious.

I was wondering why in the early part practically everyone on team good guy has a military background or related to one. Even the shrink revealed herself to be a former soldier.

The middle part meandered a bit with Sam and Bucky following Zemo around who was kind of fun who did all the investigate for the three.

The way Sam had this character arc of realizing maybe I'm the baddies what with him being a USA para military that isn't even paid and he even got an old African American super soldier to spell it out for him and all those little doubts along the way and at the end of it all he doubles down on it and proudly waves the banner of captain centrism and leads liberalism to victory in the final battle is unironically magnificent.

He even does the west wing thing in the final epsiode where he gives a speech scolding and shaming people into submission so that everyone can reach across the isle and sing kumbaya. Of course for the flag smashers the larping revolutionaries who did illegal violence only by their deaths can they be forgiven. Even before she dies the leader gets a final indignity where she craves forgiveness from Sam for her sins. The old super soldier wasn't even spared and Sam has a final meeting with him to gain Isaac's blessing.

Rip winter soldier you didn't really do much beyond giving the team someone with super powers and I guess another supersoldier with a robo arm fits the bill. I figured you'd tell the old guy you merked his son on the first episode and move on to finding other ways of redemption but that was your entire arc.

And let's not forget captain fash getting his own hero moment where he saves that truck of innocent elites who were about to kill countless people with their deportation vote. And his poor black friend who exist to die and give him character development.

All in all I legitimate thought I'd get mad but Captain America did such a good job both sidesing it and posturing as the adult in the room I could not help but enjoy it. 8/10 would west wing again.

Also the Flag Smashers are absolute incompetent at being Bolshevik revolutionaries, they got played from start to finish, can't kill their opposition properly and every attempt at intimidating the world through terrorism spectacularly backfired, they really are the weather underground of the MCU.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

RIP Battlestar, you died for nothing :911:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
My rule of thumb for superheroes/villains is they need to offer something more, and be capable of achieving something more, than just a rando with a handgun could do. With the Flagsmashers not being bulletproof (but I'll assume better healing if they do get shot), all they can really do is... uh, lift heavy things? Punch harder? They could be taken out by a rando with a handgun. I, a rando, could have done more than them were I to be given a handgun.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed that show for a whole bunch of reasons, and loving DISNEY being willing to address America's structural racism is a sign of how far the needle has moved, but yeah the Flagsmashers weren't even bad, they were just rubbish.

e: not that super strength isn't going to be incredibly useful for doing heroic/villainous things, but at least make sure you also gear up enough that you aren't immediately outclassed by a rando with a handgun. Dollar Store Cap had a shield so he could, you know, not die while running towards a rando with a handgun, and it could be thrown around as well. Even he was smart enough to carry a pistol as well because sometimes you just need to kill someone who is more than an arm's length away.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 4, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Was OG Captain America at least bulletproof or he just conveniently either dodged all the bullets or blocked them with his shield that only covers like a third of his body?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Ccs posted:

Was OG Captain America at least bulletproof or he just conveniently either dodged all the bullets or blocked them with his shield that only covers like a third of his body?

to my knowledge it has always been the latter

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am pretty sure he would get hit every once and a while and it would be like getting a paper cut to him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

He wore actual bullet-proof combat gear, alongside his shield, and having the original "perfect" version of the Serum combined with the stated functions of said Serum (Good becomes Great, and Steve Rogers is implied to have the goodest heart).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

He wore actual bullet-proof combat gear, alongside his shield, and having the original "perfect" version of the Serum combined with the stated functions of said Serum (Good becomes Great, and Steve Rogers is implied to have the goodest heart).

Historically, Cap wore scale armor over his upper torso.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
In Cap 2, he gets shot while fighting Bucky and it seems to at least affect him for the rest of the fight. He also gets cut and bleeds pretty regularly, so he is definitely not bulletproof, but does have fast healing.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

My rule of thumb for superheroes/villains is they need to offer something more, and be capable of achieving something more, than just a rando with a handgun could do. With the Flagsmashers not being bulletproof (but I'll assume better healing if they do get shot), all they can really do is... uh, lift heavy things? Punch harder? They could be taken out by a rando with a handgun. I, a rando, could have done more than them were I to be given a handgun.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed that show for a whole bunch of reasons, and loving DISNEY being willing to address America's structural racism is a sign of how far the needle has moved, but yeah the Flagsmashers weren't even bad, they were just rubbish.

e: not that super strength isn't going to be incredibly useful for doing heroic/villainous things, but at least make sure you also gear up enough that you aren't immediately outclassed by a rando with a handgun. Dollar Store Cap had a shield so he could, you know, not die while running towards a rando with a handgun, and it could be thrown around as well. Even he was smart enough to carry a pistol as well because sometimes you just need to kill someone who is more than an arm's length away.

Being a bunch of revolutionaries they should be threatening and charismatic enough to cause worldwide riots. The fact Karli didn't rally the masses about how the Patch Act means a million walkers doing the same to the displaced population show how toothless the Flag Smashers are.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I am pretty sure he would get hit every once and a while and it would be like getting a paper cut to him.

He fought the back half of the Endgame battle with a bone sticking out of his arm.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Way back in his first movie right after he loses Bucky he tries to get drunk, but to no avail. I forget if it was a healing or metabolism thing though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

IUG posted:

Way back in his first movie right after he loses Bucky he tries to get drunk, but to no avail. I forget if it was a healing or metabolism thing though.

Bucky has Hydra SS serum and roughly 100 years of elite black operations training, minus however long he’s on ice between missions.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IUG posted:

Kind of both. The super soldier serum means that Cap can almost instantly break down fatigue poisons, so he really can do this all day.

gyrobot posted:

Being a bunch of revolutionaries they should be threatening and charismatic enough to cause worldwide riots. The fact Karli didn't rally the masses about how the Patch Act means a million walkers doing the same to the displaced population show how toothless the Flag Smashers are.

It also doesn't help that their position is predicated on loving over the people who spent the last 5 years dead.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It also doesn't help that their position is predicated on loving over the rich people who spent the last 5 years dead.

Fixed it for you. Sam spent five years dead and couldn't play the Blip Privilege Card. So the poor, LGBTQ+ and minorites are going to get hosed over that they will be inclined to support the flag smashers even as they come back.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Bleck posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CkHJ7iU.mp4

I know this isn't action but I just think this is funny

I love his little march as he webs the bag, doot doot doot doot

little man wearin' dad's cowboy boots

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Holland really sells "kid playing super hero".

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Realised yesterday that what I really would like to see is an MCU movie/series set the day after The Snap. No superheroes, or at least just them very vaguely in the background, but a realistic human level drama exploring the immediate aftermath of the worst disaster in human history. The world building of the MCU is so deep and strong now that I feel they could absolutely do a film

Get some major art house director type and give them a free hand to go nuts creating a beautiful visual poem exploring the world’s pain in that situation.

Oh, even better, make it an anthology series, get a ton of art house directors to all make an episode telling different stories from around the world.

The fact that the 5 year Blip exists is bold as hell for Marvel, it wasn’t just a full do-over of The One Time The Bad Guy Won. It’s been mostly glossed over in the stuff so far, Flagsmashers aside, because they have other stories to tell. They’ve mostly been dealing with stories of what happened at the end of the 5 years when everyone came back.

No reason not to do a full-on exploration of the start of things though.

Man, you know what else would have been really good for covering the period after The Snap? The Netflix MCU shows. In a New York which lost Spidey, and in chaos, the Defenders holding the city together would have been tight AF. (Obviously Danny Rand would have been dusted, lol)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

gyrobot posted:

Fixed it for you. Sam spent five years dead and couldn't play the Blip Privilege Card. So the poor, LGBTQ+ and minorites are going to get hosed over that they will be inclined to support the flag smashers even as they come back.

No, it was all of the people whose homes they moved into and jobs they took over. Yes that includes the rich, but that included everyone else, too. Thanos didn't play favorites. In order for the people the Flagsmashers claimed to represent to keep their status quo, a lot of not rich people would be massively hosed.

Was the solution that the ruling elite probably the worst one they could come up with? Yeah. Did the Flagsmashers do everything they could to shoot their cause in the foot? Also yeah.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's just The Leftovers though

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mameluke posted:

That's just The Leftovers though

I was going to say, just watch The Leftovers, it’s exactly what you want

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Adding that you should watch The Leftovers. Season 1 is solid with a few great episodes, Season 2 is the most perfect season of TV ever filmed.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Been living under a rock, so I had never heard of The Leftovers (other than the name). I guess dealing with 2% of the world vanishing is 1/25th of what I want... I'll put it on the list and give it a fair crack.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's also as close as you'll get to Betty Ross returning to the MCU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm seeing Shang Chi at a drive in theater tonight. I'll be sure to post my dashcam drive-in rip later for everyone who can't get out to see it yet.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mameluke posted:

It's also as close as you'll get to Betty Ross returning to the MCU

Except for Episode 3 of "What If?"

Also, Holy poo poo. "Loki" and "Lucifer" in the same series. I've got to check this thing out.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 5, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Everyone posted:

Except for Episode 3 of "What If?"

Also, Holy poo poo. "Loki" and "Lucifer" in the same series. I've got to check this thing out.

Okay, I now need a show or movie with all three Toms :colbert:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Been living under a rock, so I had never heard of The Leftovers (other than the name). I guess dealing with 2% of the world vanishing is 1/25th of what I want... I'll put it on the list and give it a fair crack.

Season 1 can rub people the wrong way, but even the most hardened detractors seem to come around on Season 2. Stick it out if you can. One of my favorite series finales as well.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
I am not american so the whole concept or rapture is alien to me. But the show is great, even if you dont like it you can't look away. Plus it has the adventures of Donna Moss and the Doctor.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Klungar posted:

Season 1 can rub people the wrong way, but even the most hardened detractors seem to come around on Season 2. Stick it out if you can. One of my favorite series finales as well.

Yeah Season 1 is more or less a straight adaption of the book, where as Season 2 is an entirely new narrative. The writing, acting, music, cinematography are all operating at an incredibly high level.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

MikusR posted:

I am not american so the whole concept or rapture is alien to me. But the show is great, even if you dont like it you can't look away. Plus it has the adventures of Donna Moss and the Doctor.

I got confused at first and thought I had forgotten Catherine Tate and David Tennant being in the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Dave posted:

Yeah Season 1 is more or less a straight adaption of the book, where as Season 2 is an entirely new narrative. The writing, acting, music, cinematography are all operating at an incredibly high level.

It cannot be understated that season 2 literally reboots the premise with the same character arcs still ongoing. New location, new stakes and almost new everything.

gyrobot posted:

Just going by the text of the show the Flagsmashers are fighting against one of the possibly worst human rights crimes in human history being committed. Shows problem is that it never does enough to show just what the stakes it implies are, but they are there in the text.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 5, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I thought I read that they had filmed a good chunk of the show, and the Flagsmashers plan was to release a virus that would kill half the population, but then COVID hit and understandably that would be a bad look, and the rewrites to fit with what was already filmed is one reason its so clunky.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So during the snap we see planes crashing, etc. I would guess half the people on that plane weren't snapped, they just died. Did Tony bring them back?

Also I would also like a little mini series maybe like 2 years in to the snap at the defenders level or something like that, maybe a comic. Its interesting to me because even if its random 50% it still would mean some countries get hosed over population wise because random isn't even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's like one of the only thing actually established firmly, snap 2.0 only brought back those turned into dust by snap 1.0.