Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

stratdax posted:

Yayan Ruhian and Iko Uwais (from The Raid Redemption) in the Force Awakens was a huge letdown. Why cast a couple incredible martial artists if they don't do anything?

You want to give them an easy paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teek posted:

Wait, what…. Oh drat.

Wait, no i totally borked that. I meant I was worried that Shang had killed her grandfather, but he never actually says anymore more than the boss of the gang that killed his mom was his target

teach me to phone post on the bus.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, no i totally borked that. I meant I was worried that Shang had killed her grandfather, but he never actually says anymore more than the boss of the gang that killed his mom was his target

teach me to phone post on the bus.

Was your bus attacked by assassins?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gonna be a tough month and a half for my household. My wife and I have seen every Marvel film since we started dating, starting with AntMan, and including seeing one of them on our honeymoon in a tiny theater in Alaska.

But we're going to have to wait on this one. Got a 8.5 month old daughter now, and can't risk getting covid and bringing it back to her, even if we're both fully vaccinated for months now.

(I always buy the movies on bluray, or now UHD, so I might just :filez:.)

Really wish we could rent it ala Black Widow, that was perfect for us.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

IUG posted:

Gonna be a tough month and a half for my household. My wife and I have seen every Marvel film since we started dating, starting with AntMan, and including seeing one of them on our honeymoon in a tiny theater in Alaska.

But we're going to have to wait on this one. Got a 8.5 month old daughter now, and can't risk getting covid and bringing it back to her, even if we're both fully vaccinated for months now.

(I always buy the movies on bluray, or now UHD, so I might just :filez:.)

Really wish we could rent it ala Black Widow, that was perfect for us.

Oh, I know. The only reason I'm not risking it is because of my nephew. They havent authorized the vaccine for 10 yo and youngers. Like we dont want to find out if he's gonna do fine with he delta variant.

:negative: It breaks my MCU nerd heart that Im missing a movie for the first time.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Seeing Shang Chi this afternoon. Is there just a mid credit scene, or is there something at the end, as well?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Something at the end as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of the end credit scene I did think it was funny how one of the first things Xialing was doing in charge of the Ten Rings was install solar panels.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Remembering something strange from my showing: people applauded three times, which was very unusual for a non-huge Avengers movie. They applauded after the bus fight (well deserved, honestly) and when the credits rolled, but also they applauded during the Marvel title card at the start, which would have made more sense to me for Black Widow after a year of delays (it didn't happen when I saw BW). Applauding a movie when no one who made it is present is a little weird honestly but it's harmless enough.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I wonder if those people watched Widow at home and so this was their first in-theatre Marvel movie in two years?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Was your bus attacked by assassins?

Sadly no, but that scene takes place in a bendy bus, and when it splits it half I never thought about that happening and now its in the back of my head. As long as no terrorist with a knife for an arm comes on i think i'll be okay

I saw some people speculating that the Ten Rings might be the MCU Quantum Bands. So Shang-Chi is not just the master of kung fu, but also Quasar. That would explain why they're some crazy powerful ancient alien tech that no one can identify, and let Shang-chi kung fu Mephisto.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 4, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Sadly no, but that scene takes place in a bendy bus, and when it splits it half I never thought about that happening and now its in the back of my head. As long as no terrorist with a knife for an arm comes on i think i'll be okay

I saw some people speculating that the Ten Rings might be there MCU Quantum Bands. So Shang-Chi is not just the master of kung fu, but also Quasar. That would explain why they're some crazy powerful ancient alien tech that no one can identify, and let Shang-chi kung fu Mephisto.

I think it’s more likely they’re Makluan technology like in the comics

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nodosaur posted:

I think it’s more likely they’re Makluan technology like in the comics

I feel like they were suggesting something super old and powerful, and Makluan stuff really doesn't fit in that way. There was clear "uh oh" energy in the final part when Wong talks about there is a beacon activated and a dragon in tiny shorts doesn't really fit that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like they were suggesting something super old and powerful, and Makluan stuff really doesn't fit in that way. There was clear "uh oh" energy in the final part when Wong talks about there is a beacon activated and a dragon in tiny shorts doesn't really fit that.

That assumes they’d adapt Fin Fang Foom straight like they did from the comics instead of changing him like they do everything else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nodosaur posted:

That assumes they’d adapt Fin Fang Foom straight like they did from the comics instead of changing him like they do everything else.

Yea, i doubt they'd straight up adapt them, but I think with the focus being on Kang and the Celestials, I doubt we'll get a 3rd big bad coming.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I also don't think they'll do a giant dragon after just doing a giant dragon.

In the same way Wenwu is an attempt to fix a racist interpretation of a character from the comics it seemed to me like the protector dragon served the same purpose.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I also don't think they'll do a giant dragon after just doing a giant dragon.

In the same way Wenwu is an attempt to fix a racist interpretation of a character from the comics it seemed to me like the protector dragon served the same purpose.

I loved that Protector Dragon was a traditional, chinese dragon. Wingless long boy that is more like a snake than a lizard.

Also, I didn't realize Morris was an actual chinese creature, i thought it was too weird and cute to be something that previously existed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus gently caress that was intensely amazing.

I have so many thoughts I can't even make sense of yet .

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, i doubt they'd straight up adapt them, but I think with the focus being on Kang and the Celestials, I doubt we'll get a 3rd big bad coming.

Galactus is certainly going to be used sometime in the future with the Fantastic Four coming.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I feel like that's not a setup for a sequel to this, but rather a setup for one of the movies featuring other people in that scene. Perhaps a space threat for the Marvels to deal with. Maybe something like Majeston Zelia, Ex Nihili, or even the Shi'Ar?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regarding the provenance of the 10 rings: it could also be setting up for The Eternals, right? Some of the effects for the ring reminded me of the stuff in the Eternals trailer. Maybe Phastos made them at some point in his long life and Wenwu came to possess them. Shang-Chi might have accidentally summoned the Celestials.

Also is it me or do you guys think that Ta Lo is in the same dimension as K'un-L'un?

Also I like how they leave it open about whether Shang & Katy get together. I was expecting it to happen but they just had her taking his arm at the end. I respect that they're leaving it open. I think they had good chemistry.

And we got to learn a whole lot more about Wong's inner life, apparently being sparring buddies with the Abomination and down for some karaoke. We should all be more like Wong.

Also, Katy's a better Hawkeye than Clint, I'm just going to say it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Regarding the provenance of the 10 rings: it could also be setting up for The Eternals, right? Some of the effects for the ring reminded me of the stuff in the Eternals trailer. Maybe Phastos made them at some point in his long life and Wenwu came to possess them. Shang-Chi might have accidentally summoned the Celestials.

"Oh, that's where I left those."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

"Oh, that's where I left those."

Actually now I think about it we saw Phastos looking distraught in some ruins in the trailer didn't we? And the rings gave Wenwu immortality. Maybe Phastos made them for his mortal lover so the two of them could be together forever, but things went awry and he (the lover) died and the rings were taken.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Did anyone notice the songs queued up on Razorfist's car? I caught Tommy the Cat by Primus and Come Out and Play by Offspring Not sure why I care, but it's a bit of fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually now I think about it we saw Phastos looking distraught in some ruins in the trailer didn't we? And the rings gave Wenwu immortality. Maybe Phastos made them for his mortal lover so the two of them could be together forever, but things went awry and he (the lover) died and the rings were taken.

I think getting rid of the rings quickly would be a good idea, because Shang Chi is much cooler as a guy who's so good at kung fu he can hang with superpowered heroes.

Despite being the title of the movie, the rings are not the goal and only indirectly drive the plot. It's not the same as the stupid way Infinity War invalidated all of Thor's growth in Ragnarok, Shang Chi can just toss the rings aside and nothing is lost.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

I think getting rid of the rings quickly would be a good idea, because Shang Chi is much cooler as a guy who's so good at kung fu he can hang with superpowered heroes.

Despite being the title of the movie, the rings are not the goal and only indirectly drive the plot. It's not the same as the stupid way Infinity War invalidated all of Thor's growth in Ragnarok, Shang Chi can just toss the rings aside and nothing is lost.

I mean given what they represent to him (his dad turning his back on his children in the name of power after his wife's death), I'm pretty sure Shang Chi's not going to be using the rings himself unless it's an absolute emergency. Maybe he'll leave them with Wong until they figure out their whole deal.

I'm just kind of hoping we get an unannounced Tony Leung cameo in Eternals at this point, since even if the rings have nothing to do with them he's one of the only characters who could conceivably interact with them over their long history (I mean there's what, the Ancient One and the Asgardians?). And I want more Xu Wenwu.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In retrospect I guess if they're not gonna for real make a character the Mandarin they're for sure not gonna include a character named Fin Fang freakkin Foom

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember a lot of people being super hyped about the "real" Mandarin coming after the Rockwell/Kingsley short and the way this film handles that is just perfect.

by you know, telling those loving nerds to gently caress off with their racist bullshit

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Rhyno posted:

I remember a lot of people being super hyped about the "real" Mandarin coming after the Rockwell/Kingsley short and the way this film handles that is just perfect.

by you know, telling those loving nerds to gently caress off with their racist bullshit

I was so relieved by how well they handled it here, that was my biggest worry with this after how much I loved the twist in IM3 and how absolutely lovely that "Hail to the King" short was. God drat movie just absolutely whipped rear end. My wife wasn't ready to risk a theater yet, but I think I gotta get her out to the drive-in and watch it again ASAP

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

I was so relieved by how well they handled it here, that was my biggest worry with this after how much I loved the twist in IM3 and how absolutely lovely that "Hail to the King" short was. God drat movie just absolutely whipped rear end. My wife wasn't ready to risk a theater yet, but I think I gotta get her out to the drive-in and watch it again ASAP

I saw it at a drive-in last night and I'm happy to have seen it, but I'm eager for D+ because a lot of the movie was officially too dark for a drive-in projector.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shang-Chi had a $71 million opening weekend which is the 2nd best since Covid started

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Largest Labor Day ever with 83.5mil as well (projected) although that's partially because Labor Day just never sees major releases. The previous record was 30.5mil for the 2007 Halloween remake.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/VenomMovie/status/1434910660190638081

Venom will arrive in theatres every Friday for the rest of the year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Seeing the words "exclusively in movie theaters" now on movies is a real bummer

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i bought a ticket to shang-chi today not thinking about it being a holiday and looking at the reservations the theater is packed and i'm starting to get nervous

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I cancelled. Wasn't worth it

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

site posted:

Yeah I cancelled. Wasn't worth it

It was the right move, plus nobody will be there tomorrow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sunday morning is prime time. Church goers are generally the types I want to avoid in the current climate. I went yesterday morning and there were four other people in there besides us.

EDIT: Oops.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
^^^ lol

generally i try to go early on weekdays since, well maybe not so much anymore myself included, but a lot of people are at work