Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

There are at least 7.5 good Sonic games and if you think the number is less than that you’re probably a narc

1) sonic 2
2) sonic 3
3) & knuckles
4) sonic adventure
5) sonic adventure 2
6) sonic colors
7) sonic mania
8) sonic generations
9) half of sonic unleashed
10) sonic advance 1
11) sonic rush
12) sonic racing transformed
13) dr robotnik's mean bean machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sonic 2, Sonic 1 Game Gear, Tails Adventure Game Gear, Sonic Mania, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Rush, Sonic 3D Blast

Those are the good Sonic games. I am not counting stuff like Mean Beam Machine that's just a reskin of an existing game

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GI_Clutch posted:

Sonic Colors is at least the third Godot engine game behind Keen Dreams and some other game I only know of because the dev posted about the release on the Godot subreddit.

game of the year cruelty squad is also built on godot

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite Sonic game is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because you can punch Sonic in the face.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My favorite Sonic game was a demo I played in Toys R Us a bunch of times. I think it was a 3d isometric game, and you were somehow collecting these cute little birds. Not chao, like little birds or chicks or something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thhats 3d blast. theyre called flickies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stux posted:

name them

Most of Sonic 2, and the first zones of both Sonic 1 and 3.

Most Sonic games are unfun trash :colbert:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Stux posted:

Huh, thanks. I sort of knew about Blast, was wondering if there were somehow two different isometric Sonic games.
I like this video from a developer about the graphics. As a literal child who didn't play other Sonic games the isometric graphics were great, made me think it was an awesome game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Stux posted:

flickies is what i call potemkin's anti projectile game in GG.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Sonic 2, Sonic 1 Game Gear, Tails Adventure Game Gear, Sonic Mania, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Rush, Sonic 3D Blast

Those are the good Sonic games. I am not counting stuff like Mean Beam Machine that's just a reskin of an existing game

respect, sonic 1 gg is surprisingly good

zachol posted:

Huh, thanks. I sort of knew about Blast, was wondering if there were somehow two different isometric Sonic games.
I like this video from a developer about the graphics. As a literal child who didn't play other Sonic games the isometric graphics were great, made me think it was an awesome game.

the other isometric sonic game is sonic labyrinth, on the game gear. the gimmick is that eggman swapped out sonic's shoes with special slow-down shoes and trapped him in a maze. it's awful, unlike 3d blast

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Anyone had any experience with any of the chess games on the switch? My dad who didn't finish grade 10 keeps whooping my rear end at irl chess and I want to beat him at least once before he dies from a gloating related accident so I figure I need some practice against a halfway decent AI

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im not sure you'd do better with a switch version. i think clubhouse games has it though and it comes with a bunch of other games so i'd probably go with that even though i have never played chess on the switch and do not intend to start

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

Endorph posted:

1) sonic 2
2) sonic 3
3) & knuckles
4) sonic adventure
5) sonic adventure 2
6) sonic colors
7) sonic mania
8) sonic generations
9) half of sonic unleashed
10) sonic advance 1
11) sonic rush
12) sonic racing transformed
13) dr robotnik's mean bean machine

:hai:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Sonic 3 and knuckles is way better than sonic 2 and knuckles imo.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Anyone had any experience with any of the chess games on the switch? My dad who didn't finish grade 10 keeps whooping my rear end at irl chess and I want to beat him at least once before he dies from a gloating related accident so I figure I need some practice against a halfway decent AI
Just download the lichess app to your phone and use that. It's free and uses an engine that was specifically designed to make the most average human-like move appropriate for the rating it is set to.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

big fan of shredder chess on my phone. very capable ai with a wide skill range and good teaching features

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
the sonic games on the game gear deserve a rerelease. hell... even the one on the master system deserves one...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Whyd you mention his schooling like it matters, like there are 6 year olds who could kick any of our asses at chess out there

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ExtraKotaru/status/1434229609382518789?s=19
https://twitter.com/MLPMVGuy/status/1434263227819442177?s=19
https://twitter.com/Smoncdahonk/status/1434060136977293313?s=19
https://twitter.com/MiNado_Meta/status/1434185647351164929?s=19
https://twitter.com/MiNado_Meta/status/1434181355957407748?s=19
https://twitter.com/MiNado_Meta/status/1434181177372397569?s=19
https://twitter.com/MiNado_Meta/status/1434180087608266753?s=19

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 4, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

are sonic games hard to make

is it because of how fast he goes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lol apparently the port studio is the same one responsible for wwe 2k18. maybe just don’t make switch games fellas

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there anywhere you can preorder an OLED Switch, or is a preorder date known yet?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The preorders went up the day it was announced, but they sold out. The usual places (amazon, target, best buy, walmart) occasionally get more preorders available but I don't think they last long

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how hard is super mario 3d world + bowser's fury? i was able to beat 75 or 80% of the super mario maker 2 courses. i beat mario galaxy and am at maybe 70 or 75 stars and that's probably my limit. i beat mario odyssey, but didn't get many stars (or moons? whatever) beyond the minimum. basically i'm kinda bad at video games, and i don't wanna get 3d world for $60 if i'm only gonna be good enough to see half of it

the camera and controls in mario 64 were too frustrating for me to continue with. i haven't tried mario sunshine.

second question: a big thing that annoyed me about odyssey was that i play handheld, and it really sucked to have to shake the switch around to do some of the moves, especially when little jones is laying on my shoulder watching. did they ever fix it so that i can just freakin use buttons instead of shaking stuff like an idiot?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's not hard outside of a handful of levels that require some precision.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fallom posted:

Apparently yes, but I'd always heard the main challenge was stage design, not making sure the game doesn't literally fall apart while you're playing it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation

Fallom posted:

all games are hard to make

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's not hard outside of a handful of levels that require some precision.

do those levels gate off content, or is it more "here's 150 things to try, have fun" ?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mandatory lesbian posted:

Whyd you mention his schooling like it matters, like there are 6 year olds who could kick any of our asses at chess out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7BVtGnlxT8

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Achmed Jones posted:

do those levels gate off content, or is it more "here's 150 things to try, have fun" ?

The game has 16 worlds total, 8 which are the "normal" levels unlocked by beating previous one and then 8 which have prerequisites to unlock, which range from "beat Bowser" to "beat all levels and get the golden flagpoles at the end of each". So to answer your question, technically yes they are gated but unless you're a total Mario novice you should have no issue unlocking most of them. By far the hardest is (spoilers I guess) the timed boss rush but by that point you've played probably 100 levels so you can either consider the game done or just keep trying until you beat it and unlock the final set of ultra hard levels.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

rt4 posted:

Is there anywhere you can preorder an OLED Switch, or is a preorder date known yet?

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The preorders went up the day it was announced, but they sold out. The usual places (amazon, target, best buy, walmart) occasionally get more preorders available but I don't think they last long

If you move to New Zealand you can still preorder one. :P
https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/nintendo-switch-oled-model-white/35152590

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

not me

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

b_d posted:

flickies is what i call potemkin's anti projectile game in GG.

potemkin:"the big guy". just my nick name for him, i think its cute.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Switch OLED won’t be too hard to get compared to the PS5 and XSX. All the same guts and just a new screen plus dock will probably make it pretty easy to restock

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fallom posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks for the input one year later! i bought it and little jones and am looking forward to playing tomorrow!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GI_Clutch posted:

Console exports aren't even included with Godot as the various NDAs for console SDKs prevent them from building/releasing such code (Godot uses the MIT license).
So is this like a UE3 situation where the porting team rolled their own Switch support for the engine?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Meloncholric posted:

the sonic games on the game gear deserve a rerelease. hell... even the one on the master system deserves one...

Isn't the game gear one literally the same game as the master system one?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Isn't the game gear one literally the same game as the master system one?

Game Gear had the added bonus of being way too zoomed in compared to the Master System versions. Yes, the first boss of Sonic 2 GG basically made my christmas gift a brick for a while. Thanks for asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Zen chess should be cheap, has ok music and chess problems. Haven't gotten farther than very easy