Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mA posted:

There was a NY Times article a week or two ago that mentioned a Youtube channel with ~1,000,000 subs will pull in about $70k per year in YouTube ad revenue, which is not a lot, but channels that large or larger are probably also getting revenue from other sponsorship opportunities.

Regular Youtube ads are definitely the smallest income component for just about everyone. Instead, they rely on in-video sponsorships (can't be adblocked so they pay better) and subscription services like patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Honestly I find the in-video sponsorships far more palatable than regular ad cuts, at least they sorta mesh with what you're watching usually.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Regular Youtube ads are definitely the smallest income component for just about everyone. Instead, they rely on in-video sponsorships (can't be adblocked so they pay better) and subscription services like patreon.

Adblock doesn’t matter to most YouTubers because VPN/hosts style blockers see it coming from the same domain as the video, and iOS/Android and the streaming devices outperform Firefox/Chrome/etc on x86 by a good margin.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

YouTube Vanced is an Android necessity.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just use firefox with ublock origin on all my platforms

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

really obnoxious how google gates pip and background play behind youtube premium for ios users

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Background play is understandable. Pip is just stupid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
NewPipe on the phone, Ublock Origin on the computer

I only ever saw youtube ads on the rare occasion that I used the app on my PS4

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Look: https://steamcharts.com/app/730#All

You can see the moment the world goes into lockdown, and you can also track the vaccine rollout.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1433941529836638208?s=20

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Instead, they rely on in-video sponsorships (can't be adblocked so they pay better)

Look up the sponsorblock extension if you haven't already got it.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

mutata posted:

YouTube Vanced is an Android necessity.

Holy poo poo I had never heard of vanced, but checked it out and gave it a go, and poo poo it is nice, wish I knew about it years ago.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rakeris posted:

Holy poo poo I had never heard of vanced, but checked it out and gave it a go, and poo poo it is nice, wish I knew about it years ago.

Is there an app for iPhone/tvOS on the Apple store? I saw the same rent-a-wreck car ad like forty times in a row watching a UE5 “build a MMO” series yesterday. This never happens on my phone or desktop.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Just tried this. No luck in Beaverton, OR.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I can choose between these 3060ti cards:

GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti EAGLE OC 8G

MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X 8GB

GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti GAMING OC 8G

Palit GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Dual

They are listed from cheapest to most expensive but their prices are close. Which one should I buy?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sort by cheapest, then decide between the two cheapest by "looks coolest".

NeverRelax
Jul 16, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KinkyJohn posted:

GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti EAGLE OC 8G

MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X 8GB

GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti GAMING OC 8G

Palit GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Dual

They are listed from cheapest to most expensive but their prices are close. Which one should I buy?

Ventus is my pick. Its visually very stealthy and the perf is great.
The gaming OC probably has the "best cooler" but its completely overkill and you wont even come close to pushing its cooling limits. Would be a good choice if extreme silence is important. None of them will be loud.

I dont get Palit in my region so i cant say, but that backplate is um interesting

NeverRelax fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 4, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'd go for the gaming OC just because of the effective cooler and slight overclock out of the box, but to be fair, the difference across the four cards is going to be unnoticeable. I think it would come down to what warranty each card comes with

NeverRelax
Jul 16, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'd go for the gaming OC just because of the effective cooler and slight overclock out of the box, but to be fair, the difference across the four cards is going to be unnoticeable. I think it would come down to what warranty each card comes with

Up until recently 3060ti's have been super rare, way harder to find than a 3080.
Were they all being made into 3070s? Would that indicate that 3060ti's might have pretty decent headroom making an overbuilt cooler possibly worthwhile?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

KinkyJohn posted:

The gigabyte gaming oc should be the coolest/highest clocked with the 3 fan cooler. Between the two fan cards, I think I'd pick the Ventus 2x as the heatsink looks a little larger, but I doubt there will be much difference.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

I don't think anyone discussing the dropping view counts has actually indicated that they're in financial trouble or anything. Just a "yeah, this is happening, and we think it's because of dropping interest in PC hardware" (which is a pretty big assumption imo but it could be related)

I doubt it - I think people are just less likely to build a PC on their own when it is much more cost effective these days to just buy a pre-built machine.

That would be my theory anyways.

Really happy I caved and impulsively bought a 6700xt. It's playing everything I'm throwing at it at Ultra settings well over 60fps (with no ray tracing of course).

I will say this card gets pretty hot (AsRock 6700xt Challenger D 12GB). I was playing metro exodus yesterday and had temps peak at 89c-90c. I looked it up and the 6700xt won't thermal throttle until 100c which to me is crazy? Is that the norm for cards these days? I figured most everything cut power around 95c.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

CerealKilla420 posted:

I think people are just less likely to build a PC on their own when it is much more cost effective these days to just buy a pre-built machine.

How is this possible? I would think you would always save money building it yourself since it cuts out the labor costs. Does it simply come down to the current market on the one component, the GPU?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CerealKilla420 posted:

I doubt it - I think people are just less likely to build a PC on their own when it is much more cost effective these days to just buy a pre-built machine.

That would be my theory anyways.

Really happy I caved and impulsively bought a 6700xt. It's playing everything I'm throwing at it at Ultra settings well over 60fps (with no ray tracing of course).

I will say this card gets pretty hot (AsRock 6700xt Challenger D 12GB). I was playing metro exodus yesterday and had temps peak at 89c-90c. I looked it up and the 6700xt won't thermal throttle until 100c which to me is crazy? Is that the norm for cards these days? I figured most everything cut power around 95c.

AMD throttling is based on hot spot temperature, reported in the AMD driver software as the junction temperature. They use a shitload of temp sensors across the die so they can push it harder and throttle only when the hottest spot is getting too hot. I don't know what the 6700 XT's throttle point is. The 5700 XT is 110c on the hot spot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Listerine posted:

How is this possible? I would think you would always save money building it yourself since it cuts out the labor costs. Does it simply come down to the current market on the one component, the GPU?

It’s entirely about GPUs. Prebuilt manufacturers get price breaks on GPUs and they have availability. So you can get something now, at a reasonable price. If/when GPUs stop being supply constrained, building your own PC will again be more cost effective

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s entirely about GPUs. Prebuilt manufacturers get price breaks on GPUs and they have availability. So you can get something now, at a reasonable price. If/when GPUs stop being supply constrained, building your own PC will again be more cost effective

I was pricing workstations at Puget Systems a month or two ago and they still seemed to be charging +10-20% of the base retail cost of the parts, so I suppose that doesn't apply to more niche builders, only to the larger system providers?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No, they still charge you more than the retail price of the parts, if you count "retail price" as the elevated MSRP of the components set by the board partners. But even getting the cards at that price is a challenge. When people say that buying prebuilts is a comparatively good deal currently, they mean over paying scalper prices.

NeverRelax
Jul 16, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can get a whole PC with a 3080 for the price of a scalper 3080
bottom tier ram, ssd, cpu cooler, psu and mobo but still a pretty strong value

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

No, they still charge you more than the retail price of the parts, if you count "retail price" as the elevated MSRP of the components set by the board partners. But even getting the cards at that price is a challenge. When people say that buying prebuilts is a comparatively good deal currently, they mean over paying scalper prices.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6455823

Here's a prebuilt example.

Considering some scalpers are asking $1400 for certain 3070 variants, this is only $200 more for an entirely and completely capable machine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

^^edit: Yeah, that's a pretty decent price for that build actually.

The cheapest 3080 prebuilts I've found recently are some $2100 PCs a few weeks back when the ebay 3080s were more like $1600 or $1700 on ebay. So not quite, but not too far off, either.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 5, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

If I want to play games next generation raytraced at around 60fps in 4K, would it be better just to wait for the 4080 or something else down the line then just get the 3080?

I'm considering just biting the bullet at a 3060 and just upgrade it two or three years later when this madness ends.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I want to play games next generation raytraced at around 60fps in 4K

We have absolutely no idea because next generation games do not exist yet and vanishingly few of them use raytracing.

If you want to play current generation games raytraced at 4k60, and you mean a true 4K with no DLSS, a 3090 will barely handle that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I want to play games next generation raytraced at around 60fps in 4K, would it be better just to wait for the 4080 or something else down the line then just get the 3080?

I'm considering just biting the bullet at a 3060 and just upgrade it two or three years later when this madness ends.

Well, with DLSS you'll be able to do that with a 3080. Otherwise the 3080 will not do 4K60 with ray tracing in some games. DLSS is getting pretty good though, so that's not much of a compromise to make for smooth top-end high-res visuals. Though the 4080 will do it better obviously.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

why rush into a purchase? covid has also delayed game dev so the "next gen" games are getting pushed back by a couple years too

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just tried this. No luck in Beaverton, OR.

from what i saw it stopped working today

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1434299476089450496?s=20

https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1434306308124119043?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Has anyone here ever experienced a G-Sync glitch where their FPS gets locked to a certain framerate that's well below what the PC is capable of, and the only way to fix it is to disable G-Sync and then re-enable it? Happens to my brother every now and then, e.g., in Aliens Fireteam Elite he normally averages around ~100-110 FPS, but sometimes his FPS gets hardlocked to a consistent 70 FPS. Has happened to him in Overwatch as well. He has a 144Hz G-Sync compatible display and an RTX 3060 12GB card.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

28 minutes for an in-store only sale.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im hearing it might still work in Minnesota but that's where the MC discord mods are and I can't say if they have inside access

if you're in a flyover state and BB isn't far maybe give it a shot

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

teagone posted:

Has anyone here ever experienced a G-Sync glitch where their FPS gets locked to a certain framerate that's well below what the PC is capable of, and the only way to fix it is to disable G-Sync and then re-enable it? Happens to my brother every now and then, e.g., in Aliens Fireteam Elite he normally averages around ~100-110 FPS, but sometimes his FPS gets hardlocked to a consistent 70 FPS. Has happened to him in Overwatch as well. He has a 144Hz G-Sync compatible display and an RTX 3060 12GB card.

I had that happen to me in Destiny 2 and Desmume DS emulator. Was able to fix this by enabling g-sync only for fullscreen, not windowed+fullscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well, with DLSS you'll be able to do that with a 3080. Otherwise the 3080 will not do 4K60 with ray tracing in some games. DLSS is getting pretty good though, so that's not much of a compromise to make for smooth top-end high-res visuals. Though the 4080 will do it better obviously.

I guess. I just really want to upgrade my build. It's literally ancient.