Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Smythe posted:

seems to me that the die has been cast. we members of the western world have capitulated to the rona and acquiesced to it becoming endemic and everyone catching rona over time. its ogre. drop the few remaining restrictions, throw your respirators in the trash and move on. resume pre-pandemic lifestyle in all facets. sucks.

I have a target in sight: when I can get my kids vaccinated then gently caress it, let's roll those dice. We are keeping hermit living until they get vaccinated, and I'll get a booster around then so that we come at this with the best odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stereotype posted:

endemic is being used in an entirely new way right now

That's what I was trying to figure out

Because it's not like it's new to say that a disease is endemic to a certain area. That's the whole reason you need vaccines when you travel. The idea that "endemic" just means that it's everywhere all the time and so prevalent that you're nearly guaranteed to catch it by stepping outside is uh

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

The restrictions mandating a corona passport stopped for a number of different things starting September 1st, things like: indoor dining, fitness, large +500 events etc. I suspect a lot of people only got tested because of the passport requirement.

Testing has since dipped slightly from its already abysmal level, but wouldn't that be reflected in a higher positivity rate also? Given how infectious Delta is and all. Or it could be a combination of that and vaccines not having waned massively yet.

I'm trying to gauge if I should chance the dentist again, they're badgering me about a six-month checkup. Probably better now rather than later. Are they still required to wear PPE?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Paradoxish posted:

Because it's not like it's new to say that a disease is endemic to a certain area. That's the whole reason you need vaccines when you travel. The idea that "endemic" just means that it's everywhere all the time and so prevalent that you're nearly guaranteed to catch it by stepping outside is uh

yeah lmfao that's just called pandemic

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
people using "endemic" is just a perfect example of doublespeak. it glazes over what that word actually means and uses it as a disguise that you can use to support whatever you want. when someone says "it's endemic you just have to go out and live your life" there is no correlation between the word "endemic" and "you have to go out and live your life." in fact the truthful meaning of the word; that a regular and prevalent deadly disease that is causing massive waves of incapacitated, hospitalized, and dead people; would seemingly be understood as bad and demand dramatic action. but you don't say that definition, you say endemic, and then it can mean whatever you want.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Stereotype posted:

people using "endemic" is just a perfect example of doublespeak. it glazes over what that word actually means and uses it as a disguise that you can use to support whatever you want. when someone says "it's endemic you just have to go out and live your life" there is no correlation between the word "endemic" and "you have to go out and live your life." in fact the truthful meaning of the word; that a regular and prevalent deadly disease that is causing massive waves of incapacitated, hospitalized, and dead people; would seemingly be understood as bad and demand dramatic action. but you don't say that definition, you say endemic, and then it can mean whatever you want.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

See also: believe the science

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Has anyone actually died from the horsey paste?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

endemic means no exponential growth because R0 is 1. love economists co-opting science terms.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

lol even just getting the r value to 1 has to rely on us shutting down all public events and spaces forever, doesn't it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ram dass in hell posted:

See also: believe the science

see also: herd immunity

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

see also: herd immunity

see food diet joke format]: i heard i had immunity

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
more like turd immunity

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Has anyone compared the Honeywell North RU8600 speech diaphragm with the 3M HF-800 series speech diaphragm?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Raiad posted:

lol even just getting the r value to 1 has to rely on us shutting down all public events and spaces forever, doesn't it

There's a limit on number of cases at once. Eventually that R is going to 1 and only 5% of humanity will have an active COVID case at any given instant.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

So honest question, is there some technical definition of "endemic" that I'm not aware of?

Because if you have a disease that's endemic to the whole world and in a state of constant outbreaks how is that not actually just a pandemic

no of course not.

it’s we use a different word and accept all the negative still continuing effects without protest. because obviously the reality is different. I mean it’s a different word we are calling it now, jeez.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 5, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

“covid is endemic” is just death cult rebranding. same people that have wanted to give up since march 2020 and now biden and the CDC have given them the perfect cover.

gg

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
if i wanted to get a booster from walgreen, do i do new shot or roll the bones with booster? also if i've had my fizer, should i get a booster as maderna or get another fizer

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

scheduled moderna shot 1 for tmrw, exactly five months to the day i got the j/j shot. thread convinced me not to wait 2-3 months, titers to the max

In the same boat, been thinking about doing this, would we need to get a total of three modernas on top of the j/j?

I don't feel like there's a lot of good data for swapping from viral to RNA but every week that goes by I worry more and more about my precious titers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there is a constant battle over our words and symbols. it’s just one more shitheads being lovely in that fight.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Yellow Fever was endemic to New Orleans and life kept going on there

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

we're already seeing wild type and the earlier variants fading out of existence. eventually there might be a limitation to how much the spike protein can mutate to keep reinfections going, or after we get infected like 7 times, we're functionally immune.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there is a constant battle over our words and symbols. it’s just one more shitheads being lovely in that fight.

It's amusing that chuds have latched onto "Bill Gates is trying to kill us with vaccines" when he's very obviously trying to kill us with a lack of vaccines

I forgot he gave this speech about eugenics in 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozlbeXrb_5A

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I am guilty of this. In my defense I'm still trying to process this whole situation. What should I call a disease that we have decided to surrender to with the hopes that it gets bored after some period of time?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

nomad2020 posted:

I am guilty of this. In my defense I'm still trying to process this whole situation. What should I call a disease that we have decided to surrender to with the hopes that it gets bored after some period of time?

suicide by protein printer go brrrr

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Donkwich posted:

more like turd immunity

hurt immunity

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7003420072488291589

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

walgreens wouldn't boost me. filled out paperwork saying i was immunocompromised but they wanted a specific diagnosis vOv

may try for my first dose somewhere else tomorrow

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

That’s not how diseases work. Eventually everyone has antibodies so you won’t be ‘guaranteed’ to get it. I mean on a long enough time scale you were always going to get it anyway.

Even with the worst outlook things would stabilise eventually when a lot of people were dead. So there’s less population density and everyone left has a good immune system. Now it’s the unrest that might get you. It depends on if people die quietly and how severe the disease ends up being. If the majority of young fit people still survive then society might not utterly collapse. Or it might Spanish flu and just mutate into a much less severe form. Can’t really assume that through.

Either we control it through vaccines or it kills everyone it can and the survivors carry on with much less stress on hospitals because most of them are now dead. House prices won’t fall.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
tbh it's kinda hard to motivate myself to get back to work when I have the feeling that either myself or many people I care about are about to just, like, die

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My grandparents were all alive before 2020 and are all dead now, either directly from covid or indirectly, I know a lot of other people who have lost grandparents or parents already too. Grandparents are old and death prone but it seems higher than usual? Maybe society will just fail and kill everyone older than 60ish that isn't rich or healthy? I don't really know how this ends, it feels like it never will

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We are having a BBQ with the wife's parents tomorrow and one of her nieces may have been exposed to covid and is lying that she wasn't. She said the guy she is dating just popped positive then changed her story to he is negative lmao

She would totally lie about this. She lost her job at the local hospital back in February because she refused to wear masks

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
what about young kids, the immunocompromised, the allergic, and the old?
*pulls big boy pants up* well, the important thing to remember there is that none of those people matter and that we can't let people dying or hospitals overflowing get in the way of brunch and going to the footy.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

walgreens wouldn't boost me. filled out paperwork saying i was immunocompromised but they wanted a specific diagnosis vOv

Tell them you take a biologic for psoriasis and it is an immunosuppressant.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

STRAIGHT OUTTA MARTHA'S VINYARD.

Someone make this into a rap album cover.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This poo poo is so insane. Did they want you to show them proof of a prescription or something ?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Tell them you take a biologic for psoriasis and it is an immunosuppressant.

thanks for the dx

raisin kane
Dec 26, 2019
love that the virus has lobbyists. love reading a tweet or op ed that's indistinguishable from what a covid virion would write if it had little hands and a teeny little keyboard

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Stereotype posted:

It's like how people are saying "brain fog" instead of brain damage.

Your brain! It's foggy! Forever! Can't think! It's just fog though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

This poo poo is so insane. Did they want you to show them proof of a prescription or something ?

just wanted me to name a diagnosed thing, didn't ask for proof