Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In terms of difficulty, it's basically the same as Doom so UV would be the fourth difficulty. Enemies in Heretic aren't so bad, but Hexen has some horrible bastards. Just remember to use tomes of power when you feel that the game is getting unfair and you should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Chinook posted:

Playing through all of the Quake content that was packed into the enhanced version has got me geared up to play some more non-Doom 90s shooters. What's the 'right' difficulty for Heretic? The "UV" equivalent, I suppose, in terms of difficulty. I am not sure they translate exactly..

And if there are serious issues with Heretic as far as enemies being bullet sponges, or other things that might be an issue, please let me know! I want to go through all 5 episodes. Thanks.

I'd recommend Heretic++ or another gameplay enhancer as the default weapons are quite weak and unsatisfying.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chinook posted:

Playing through all of the Quake content that was packed into the enhanced version has got me geared up to play some more non-Doom 90s shooters. What's the 'right' difficulty for Heretic? The "UV" equivalent, I suppose, in terms of difficulty. I am not sure they translate exactly..

And if there are serious issues with Heretic as far as enemies being bullet sponges, or other things that might be an issue, please let me know! I want to go through all 5 episodes. Thanks.
I think Heretic is fairly fine as-is, but there's Wayfarer's Tome that has some rebalancing, but I feel like you maybe shouldn't for your first go-through?

Skill 4, Smite-Miester is UV, but Skill 5, Black-Plague adds fast monsters and increased ammo.

Up to you which you want to go for, but I kind of like the increased ammo in Black Plague.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks all. I think I'll do Skill 5, and see how it goes. It doesn't appear to have the issues that Nightmare mode does in Doom, so that's cool.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I think Heretic is fairly fine as-is, but there's Wayfarer's Tome that has some rebalancing, but I feel like you maybe shouldn't for your first go-through?
Though if enemy spongeyness is the concern, Wayfarer's Tome certainly helps.
The mod also does amazing things to the Plasma Gun equivalent.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

tyhese are the best squishy gib sounds ive heard in years. absolutely gallagerian

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Is the opening of Episode 3 of Scourge of Armagon bullshit or is it just me (my monitor is on, thank you)?

I'm on Nightmare in the remaster but nothing up to this point has given me so much trouble.
I'm picking up the rocket launcher while only killing the zombies that I have to, taking out the spiked mine before getting on the lift but the vores that teleport in leave me with no ammo or way to avoid their attacks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite Q1 deathmatch map?

I think I like The Dark Zone most.

HIPDM1. I've always loved the freedom and the chaos of that map. It's a proto longest yard.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
there is something seriously messed up with kexquake's frame pacing on my 1080ti. it's like a night and day difference in smoothness between kexquake and vkquake despite both hitting my framerate cap.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

tyhese are the best squishy gib sounds ive heard in years. absolutely gallagerian

and this one is the ideal of chivalric virtue! ker-SPLAT!!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't get why they have the Collection when the titles are also individually listed, but I guess they have the collection on other platforms too and there's no (or not an obvious?) way to do bundles on the eShop.
I'm pretty sure it's mostly intended as a physical retail package.

In other Quake news, the first Alkaline Jam just dropped, bringing you ten (count 'em!) maps based on the Alkaline mod built over a three month stretch.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Bathtub Cheese posted:

there is something seriously messed up with kexquake's frame pacing on my 1080ti. it's like a night and day difference in smoothness between kexquake and vkquake despite both hitting my framerate cap.

Are you using a 120 fps cap? That's what fixed it for me. I've always had framey weirdness with Kex stuff if the game was running at something other than a multiple of 60fps.

There's a big thread in the steam\quake forum about people having issues like you describe.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

skill 5 for heretic is the best way to play it imo. enemies are fast and extremely aggressive, but you get tons of ammo and don't have to worry about respawning like in nightmare.

however this makes e4m1 one of the most difficult stock levels out of the doom/2/heretic/hexen set

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, episodes 4 and 5 of Heretic were bonuses for the retail release, ala Ultimate Doom's episode 4, and they just constantly go for the throat, never lifting their foot off the pedal.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Copper Vein posted:

Are you using a 120 fps cap? That's what fixed it for me. I've always had framey weirdness with Kex stuff if the game was running at something other than a multiple of 60fps.

There's a big thread in the steam\quake forum about people having issues like you describe.

120fps cap didn't work but I'll check that thread out. thanks!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Heretic e4m1 is what brought my skill 4 no mid level saves run to a screeching halt.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite Q1 deathmatch map?

I think I like The Dark Zone most.

I had collected all my favorite DM maps a few years ago. I uploaded them somewhere (dropbox? megaupload?) but I can't remember. There are actually a lot of great dm maps for Q1. Some of them later converted to quake3.

Also, earlier in the thread people were talking about Tribes: Vengeance. I had this video on a hard drive for a long time....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vevzu6nJ_5M

Classic style frag vid. Replays with EDM.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dopefish removed from Quake 64, the well of wishes has no wishes!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Dopefish removed from Quake 64, the well of wishes has no wishes!!!

whaaaat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a blank wall with bubbles coming out of it where a dopefish should be

I double checked the wiki, its a known weird thing. If I had to guess someone looked at the one off texture never used anywhere else and snipped it out to save space

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh wait so it was never there , not that it was removed in the latest patch

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've given the slightly-shamefully-sized OP a bit of an update, let me know if anything's still missing or needs doing!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quake ep 4 Owns and anyone who thinks this is a bullshit hard last episode should play Wolf3d ep6

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

I've given the slightly-shamefully-sized OP a bit of an update, let me know if anything's still missing or needs doing!

Turok 1 & 2 have PS4 ports.
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0913-CUSA20201_00-TUROKPS401042020/
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0913-CUSA25215_00-1190194351528830/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm trying to figure out the criteria the devs of Quake 64 used to determine which map per episode to cut but I can't figure it out so I'm leaning towards it was their least favorite per episode rather than anything to do with size or complexity. ~60 seems to be about the upper limit for enemies Quake 64 can have per stage, so its not like they weren't opposed to just slashing enemy counts if they needed to.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

I'm trying to figure out the criteria the devs of Quake 64 used to determine which map per episode to cut but I can't figure it out so I'm leaning towards it was their least favorite per episode rather than anything to do with size or complexity. ~60 seems to be about the upper limit for enemies Quake 64 can have per stage, so its not like they weren't opposed to just slashing enemy counts if they needed to.
From an interview with the programmer in the official strategy guide:

Aaron Seeler posted:

The N64 has four megabytes [of memory] total. And you have to realize that you've basically got a meg devoted to frame buffers, sound buffers and depth buffers, half a meg devoted to your code, and then two and a half megs for everything else!

[What levels were kept and what cut was] Totally size dictated. The levels basically got sorted from smallest to largest, and the levels that were the smallest were given favorable consideration because we didn't want to change the actual geometry of the entire level. The PC version has some vast, sprawling levels, but unfortunately, they were just too big.

There were some levels where the PC original had a lot of different types of enemies, and that was reduced. You'd see on some levels that where you may remember Rotfish, there are now Zombies. So there were some changes [to monster and item placement], but they were very minor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It would be sweet if KexQuake would also port the other console-exclusive levels at some point. I've always wanted to play Hell's Aerie from the Sega Saturn, for example.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, but the levels cut weren't the largest levels from what I can tell, so far they've been earlier levels in the episode with lower enemy counts. I completely believe they sorted by size and went "mid-size bad one? Gone" so they could keep a retooled or better bigger size one.

They did a really good job keeping enemies the same and then I played Wizards Manse and they seemed to have just flat removed every single knight and replaced it with another enemy. Its been the most jarring switch because its so immediately noticeable and makes the end gold door surprise fight way easier since instead of fiends and knights its fiends and uh those flying enemies I can't remember the name of

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yeah, but the levels cut weren't the largest levels from what I can tell, so far they've been earlier levels in the episode with lower enemy counts. I completely believe they sorted by size and went "mid-size bad one? Gone" so they could keep a retooled or better bigger size one.

They did a really good job keeping enemies the same and then I played Wizards Manse and they seemed to have just flat removed every single knight and replaced it with another enemy. Its been the most jarring switch because its so immediately noticeable and makes the end gold door surprise fight way easier since instead of fiends and knights its fiends and uh those flying enemies I can't remember the name of

scrags

early ID did a good job stealing names from D&D and using them for completely different things

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

It would be sweet if KexQuake would also port the other console-exclusive levels at some point. I've always wanted to play Hell's Aerie from the Sega Saturn, for example.
A mod came out earlier this year with the Saturn secret levels. It seems to run fine with the re-release.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Anyone got any word on when GoG is gonna get the Quake update?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Kins posted:

You've listed Super 3D Noah's Ark but not Chex Quest???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, sorry Quake 64, bad choice here.

In Dismal Oubliette in vanilla Quake 64, this is your introduction to Vores. Like the Fiend and Shambler before them, Vores get a special introduction so you know, yeah, you're dealing with something particularly nasty. You go through the entire stage, battle through a gauntlet of enemies (including a shambler and a fiend) capped off with the chamber you're in opening the wall with no over exits and revealing the vores, the prisoner of the titular Dismal Oubliette.

In Quake 64 the first vore is the 4th enemy you encounter in the map, filling in for a fiend as no fiends appear in this stage due to memory constraints, and just kind of hanging out around a blind corner hallway. You'll have to fight two more of them before you get to their formal introduction at the end of the level so they're already a thing you've learned to deal with in a variety of situations before you ever fight this double battle.

Also Dismal Oubliette on N64 is heavily edited as it cuts off the entire opening section of fighting your way up through the watery cavern into the main stone work area with the rotating central platform. It makes a more focused level but it makes it a lot less of a cool level; that transition of bursting from the unformed cavern into the strictly controlled castle space is one of my favorite transitions in Quake.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Barudak posted:

Also Dismal Oubliette on N64 is heavily edited as it cuts off the entire opening section of fighting your way up through the watery cavern into the main stone work area with the rotating central platform. It makes a more focused level but it makes it a lot less of a cool level; that transition of bursting from the unformed cavern into the strictly controlled castle space is one of my favorite transitions in Quake.
That opening bit of Dismal Oubliette with the cavern didn't even make it into any version of Quake until this rerelease. The original Quake version of E2M6 starts the same way as the Quake 64 version.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ExocideGame/status/1434220492450410503?s=19

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Carpator Diei posted:

Though if enemy spongeyness is the concern, Wayfarer's Tome certainly helps.
The mod also does amazing things to the Plasma Gun equivalent.

I finished Episode 1 of Heretic vanilla on skill 5, and yeah, spongeyness is an issue. I did add Wayfarer's Tome for episode 2, still skill 5, and this seems pretty good. I still get killed sometimes, enemies don't take 15 seconds to drop, and I actually kind of like every weapon now.

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm glad I asked.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

shoeberto posted:

Anyone got any word on when GoG is gonna get the Quake update?

i'm also waiting on this :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volte posted:

That opening bit of Dismal Oubliette with the cavern didn't even make it into any version of Quake until this rerelease. The original Quake version of E2M6 starts the same way as the Quake 64 version.

My memory has failed me. I played Quake 1 all the way through like last year. I resign in shame.

The new version kicks unbelievable rear end.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Scourge of Armagon is fine, but Dissolution of Eternity is clearly better. Fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
More progress in Doom3 VR, I finally have the BFG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWAg9vAUx8