Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Depends on your budget. If you just want to shoot some slow animal and scenery you probably want to invest more money on a good wide lens than a good tele lens.

Different people's tolerance on heavy quality lens is also very different.

Without knowing your budget, all I can recommend is spend 60-70% of your budget on lens and the rest on body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The a6100 has the new autofocus, but the Sony kit lens sucks. They do make good lenses and there are lots of third party offerings, but as a kit I wouldn't be happy with it.

The Fuji kit choices are much better, shoot really good jpegs, and they offer a good selection of weather sealed primes, but they've discontinued their cheapest bodies I think.

Canons apsc mirrorless isn't as well supported but they have a 22mm fast compact prime and a ultra wide zoom which would be a good travel kit.

Another m43 choice could be an Olympus em5 ii and 12-40mm f2.8 would, probably about $1000 used for a rugged camera and lens.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really love my XT-20. It's just enough camera for me. I don't know if it'd qualify it as compact, but I hook it up the front of my backpack strap while hiking and it's fairly comfortable.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I managed to get that Tamron 180mm at $150 which is absolutely brilliant for the price.

_DSC8305 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Of course, it hasn't changed my ability as a photographer:

_DSC8292 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

... gently caress.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

okay beauty thanks all, I'll look at what the local stores have and just get one of the ones you guys recommended.
Thanks!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

sildargod posted:

I managed to get that Tamron 180mm at $150 which is absolutely brilliant for the price.

_DSC8305 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Of course, it hasn't changed my ability as a photographer:

_DSC8292 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

... gently caress.

That first image is great!

For shots like the second one, try focus bracketing; set focus to manual and do a burst while moving the focus ring in and out around where you think your subject will be.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ethics_Gradient posted:

For shots like the second one, try focus bracketing; set focus to manual and do a burst while moving the focus ring in and out around where you think your subject will bee.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
How the hell are you going to focus stack a flying bee?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

jarlywarly posted:

How the hell are you going to focus stack a flying bee?

very carefully

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

8th-snype posted:

very carefully quickly

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

seravid posted:

I'm jealous. Was planning on purchasing it this year, but looks like it'll have to wait until 2022. Post some pics when you get a chance!

I know this was a few pages ago, but I just posted my first few pics in the GBS Critterquest thread - all taken on an A7ii with the Sony 200-600 and all at 600mm f6.3.

We've been locked down for a while now, so this is the first chance I've had to get out and about with it, and it seems like it was 100% worth the cost of admission ($2,000 AUD).

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

I know this was a few pages ago, but I just posted my first few pics in the GBS Critterquest thread - all taken on an A7ii with the Sony 200-600 and all at 600mm f6.3.

We've been locked down for a while now, so this is the first chance I've had to get out and about with it, and it seems like it was 100% worth the cost of admission ($2,000 AUD).

Goddamnit I want a 200-600 so much. Great shots!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Looks like Cosina Voigtlander is coming out with a 35mm f/1.2 APSC lens for X-Mount. CV lenses are usually pretty sharp, and the fast, manual focus, specialty APSC lens market has gotten popular but mostly remained the domain of pretty cheap and low quality stuff from the likes of Kamlan and 7artisans, so it’s cool to see them stepping in to offer something that might actually have good max aperture IQ.

Two questions:

Did Laowa beat CV to the punch with their 33mm f/0.95? I haven’t seen any in-depth reviews of the Argus, but it’s definitely in the same price and spec range as the CV. Anyone here know if it’s worth the ~$500?

One thing that I wish Fuji would hurry up and make is a fast ~40mm equivalent lens. Now that they’ve come out with an 18mm f/1.4, it gives me a little hope that they might follow suit with a faster 27mm some day. But in the meantime Voigtlander makes easily adaptable 28mm f/2 and f/1.9 lenses for M-mount. Does anyone know how well they work when mounted on a Fuji? I know that symmetrical extreme wide angle lenses like the original CV 15mm have rear elements that protrude so far back that they exhibit bad color fringing in the corners on digital sensors. Are the CV 28mm lenses like that, or do they work ok?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Voigtlander does make good (I mean in the technical sense not in the artistic/character/look sense) lenses, like their apo-lanthar lenses, but their fast manual primes have been pretty weak, especially at the maximum aperture. Google turns up a review that says the 7artisans f0.95 is sharper than the voigtlander wide open. I couldn't find a good review with a clear comparison between the loawa and the 7artisans, but some people said one or the other was sharper, but the loawa is probably better corrected.

I probably just gravitate toward whatever one I liked the rendering of better (or build quality or price), and not worry about sharpness across the frame/color fringing/vignetting/etc if this was the type of lens I was shopping for.

Also the voigtlander apo-lanthars are so nice and I would buy them if I was the monopoly guy.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah I went looking and the 7artisans 0.95 was actually rated as sharper than the Argus in one review that had images to back it up. The Argus had nicer focus roll off.

I didn’t realize any reviews of the Nokton were out but the Japanese one I just looked at actually showed a pretty sharp performance wide open from the sample images.

Did a little digging and it looks like the 28mm Voigtlanders are not great when adapted to Fuji.

Guess I’ll keep putting away my pennies and looking out for a good deal on a used Fuji 23/1.4. Probably as close as I can get to what I want.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah I went looking and the 7artisans 0.95 was actually rated as sharper than the Argus in one review that had images to back it up. The Argus had nicer focus roll off.

I didn’t realize any reviews of the Nokton were out but the Japanese one I just looked at actually showed a pretty sharp performance wide open from the sample images.

Did a little digging and it looks like the 28mm Voigtlanders are not great when adapted to Fuji.

Guess I’ll keep putting away my pennies and looking out for a good deal on a used Fuji 23/1.4. Probably as close as I can get to what I want.

Have you looked at the Viltrox 23/1.4? Reviews seem to be quite positive, and it’s AF capable.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Fools Infinite posted:

Voigtlander does make good (I mean in the technical sense not in the artistic/character/look sense) lenses, like their apo-lanthar lenses, but their fast manual primes have been pretty weak, especially at the maximum aperture. Google turns up a review that says the 7artisans f0.95 is sharper than the voigtlander wide open. I couldn't find a good review with a clear comparison between the loawa and the 7artisans, but some people said one or the other was sharper, but the loawa is probably better corrected.

I probably just gravitate toward whatever one I liked the rendering of better (or build quality or price), and not worry about sharpness across the frame/color fringing/vignetting/etc if this was the type of lens I was shopping for.

If we're thinking of the same lens I found a few reviews comparing the Laowa and 7artisans 0.95, most gave the edge to the latter (cheaper, better build quality, IQ roughly the same or maybe even slightly better on the 7artisans, can't remember exactly).

I'm sort of tempted, I've got a Canon 50 1.2 LTM already, but it's a bit of a dog wide open.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Christopher frost posted a review of the Venus 33mm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuYJTdTk29s
And has previously covered the 7artisans 35mm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-zs6qbOW6I

His copies/review/experience seem to show the Venus is sharper and better corrected. I think the rendering on the Venus looks better, but the 7artisans doesn't seem like a bad lens for half the price, and a lot of the flaws add to that vintage look.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Have you looked at the Viltrox 23/1.4? Reviews seem to be quite positive, and it’s AF capable.

Been using the Viltrox 23 since about November last year, and I think it's okay. Good value considering it's so cheap, but you could probably pick up a Fuji 23/1.4 used for not that much more.

After about a month of use the glue holding the focus ring to the lens failed, but I got the entire lens replaced under warranty. No similar issues with the new one. AF works well, 35mm equivalent is a great focal length, and it's reasonably sharp considering the price. For reference, I had the 16-80/4 but sold it since I didn't like the slow aperture or performance wide open.

I also got the Viltrox 85/1.8 and wide open it's miles ahead. I really like that one.

e: This on an X-T4.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

OG A7Rs are cheap now. Tempting to get a nice small higher-res, high DR camera for landscape shooting, but does shutter shock ruin it? I know it was a common complaint when it came out.

Was there ever any consensus on a workaround for it (I seem to remember reading that even sticking it on a tripod didn’t really help), a firmware update with EFCS, or anything?

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

OG A7Rs are cheap now. Tempting to get a nice small higher-res, high DR camera for landscape shooting, but does shutter shock ruin it? I know it was a common complaint when it came out.

Was there ever any consensus on a workaround for it (I seem to remember reading that even sticking it on a tripod didn’t really help), a firmware update with EFCS, or anything?

My clanky, beat up A7r is my most used camera. It's glorious in it's stupid tedious slowness, unintiutive choices and breathtaking sensor. The shutter shock is very much real, and cannot be avoided, aside from using an unbelievably heavy or stiff tripod, or shooting far out of the affected shutter range (anything from about 1/125 to 1/30), or, using a flash. I've had very, very good results with it even in shutter shock country and if you pair it with any average to decent glass, it's spectacular.

_DSC7022 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

As an example of the resolution and sharpness, this shot of my pittie was taken with the 85/1.8:

_DSC7856 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

_DSC7856_1 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

It really does feel medium-format in the amount of resolving power the little camera has.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I am extremely excited for the Fuji 33mm F1.4 LM WR R coming out this month. To me this is sort of an end-game lens. I love shooting in rain, snow and other weather, and I travel to places where dust and smog is a concern. Having weather sealing and fast quiet focusing is going to be the thing that gets me to jump in when the 35mm F1.4 could not entice me enough. Anyone else looking at this or other lenses coming in 2021?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

sildargod posted:

My clanky, beat up A7r is my most used camera. It's glorious in it's stupid tedious slowness, unintiutive choices and breathtaking sensor. The shutter shock is very much real, and cannot be avoided, aside from using an unbelievably heavy or stiff tripod, or shooting far out of the affected shutter range (anything from about 1/125 to 1/30), or, using a flash. I've had very, very good results with it even in shutter shock country and if you pair it with any average to decent glass, it's spectacular.

_DSC7022 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

As an example of the resolution and sharpness, this shot of my pittie was taken with the 85/1.8:

_DSC7856 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

_DSC7856_1 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

It really does feel medium-format in the amount of resolving power the little camera has.

Yeah, I love the sensor on my d810 but the focus is so shoddy (the 150K shutter count might have something to do with it) and the whole package so bulky. It does feel like medium format detail level, especially when compared to the scan quality I usually get for my 67’s negatives. And the dynamic range is even better.

I could get the A7r experience by simply using live view but that makes the whole bulky DSLR-ness feel superfluous.

Shammypants posted:

I am extremely excited for the Fuji 33mm F1.4 LM WR R coming out this month. To me this is sort of an end-game lens. I love shooting in rain, snow and other weather, and I travel to places where dust and smog is a concern. Having weather sealing and fast quiet focusing is going to be the thing that gets me to jump in when the 35mm F1.4 could not entice me enough. Anyone else looking at this or other lenses coming in 2021?

I watched the DPR video on the 33/1.4 WR and it looks like a great lens, but not so great that it would replace my trusty 35/2 WR. I await the verdict on the 23/1.4 WR, because I want a prime in that focal length and at the very least hope that the new version will drive down prices on the original 23/1.4.

I could get a new Fuji lens, or pick up a used A7r. As much as I use and enjoy my X-T30 for family, wildlife, and general picture-takin’, I feel the lack of detail when printing landscape shots. 20x30” is pushing it. Do I spring for the A7r (and a lens oh god the $$$) or just keep adding to the Fuji lens collection and have faith in the 42MP sensor coming next year?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, I love the sensor on my d810 but the focus is so shoddy (the 150K shutter count might have something to do with it) and the whole package so bulky. It does feel like medium format detail level, especially when compared to the scan quality I usually get for my 67’s negatives. And the dynamic range is even better.

I could get the A7r experience by simply using live view but that makes the whole bulky DSLR-ness feel superfluous.

I watched the DPR video on the 33/1.4 WR and it looks like a great lens, but not so great that it would replace my trusty 35/2 WR. I await the verdict on the 23/1.4 WR, because I want a prime in that focal length and at the very least hope that the new version will drive down prices on the original 23/1.4.

I could get a new Fuji lens, or pick up a used A7r. As much as I use and enjoy my X-T30 for family, wildlife, and general picture-takin’, I feel the lack of detail when printing landscape shots. 20x30” is pushing it. Do I spring for the A7r (and a lens oh god the $$$) or just keep adding to the Fuji lens collection and have faith in the 42MP sensor coming next year?

I'd probably stick with Fuji rather than invest in an entirely new lens ecosystem (I say this as someone currently standing athwart both of those systems...). For your landscape shots, you could try getting a Nodal Ninja or similar panorama head and stitching - a goon pro photographer I know did this to great effect with his Olympus and a 25mm prime. He was selling big (1m+) prints to dentists, doctors, etc for their waiting rooms.

OTOH you can get some cheap glass for the Sony if you're willing to go manual focus; most of those cheap 50mm f/1.8 primes from any major system are going to be tack sharp at f/8.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Buy a gfx

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I get you. For me, the three things I love about photography are inclement weather (rain etc.), lower light and black and white. It's almost like the lens was made specifically for me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hope they do a 16 or 18mm in the same design, 28 is my favorite focal length.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
New GR iiix announced, has a 40mm equiv lens instead of the usual 28. I'm definitely interested as I've never been a huge fan of lenses that are quite that wide.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I loved the gr iii but not fixing the dust issue and adding ibis making it even harder to service was a really lovely thing to do. A new lens probably means changes to the internal design but as they are but touting it as a new feature I doubt they've done anything to address the problem.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Yikes I'm glad I got my used EM5 III in July, prices seem to be ~$80 more now than they were then. You're only saving about $40 off new at this point.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

CodfishCartographer posted:

New GR iiix announced, has a 40mm equiv lens instead of the usual 28. I'm definitely interested as I've never been a huge fan of lenses that are quite that wide.

Dumb question, but that's the full-frame equivalent?

I'm sort of curious to own something like that despite being married to the Fuji system (heck my Capture One sub is also Fuji-only).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it’s actually a 26mm lens.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wish they'd make the GR like an inch taller and slap a viewfinder on it and maybe a bigger battery. I love 28mm for sky pictures and tight spaces but I can see the appeal of 40mm.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Yikes I'm glad I got my used EM5 III in July, prices seem to be ~$80 more now than they were then. You're only saving about $40 off new at this point.
I have that camera and the x-pro 2 on my "if I see it cheap" list and I haven't seen either cheap in ages.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

qirex posted:

I wish they'd make the GR like an inch taller and slap a viewfinder on it and maybe a bigger battery. I love 28mm for sky pictures and tight spaces but I can see the appeal of 40mm.

I have that camera and the x-pro 2 on my "if I see it cheap" list and I haven't seen either cheap in ages.

I got a "used" like-new(49 shutter activations) one in July to replace my broken EM10 mk.I for $850. Same site is now selling like-new for $925.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

qirex posted:

I hope they do a 16 or 18mm in the same design, 28 is my favorite focal length.

Maybe the news slipped past you or maybe I’m misreading your post, but Fuji just released an 18/1.4 WR and it’s their sharpest prime under 90mm.

Also the 26mm GRiii sounds really cool. ~40mm equiv. focal length is my favorite and the pocket-size of the GR has always been attractive. I’d probably just get a 27/2.8 pancake lens for my Fuji, though.

I went to the local shop and played with a used A7R and A7Rii. The ii was only about $200 more, definitely felt better-built, and the shutter was noticeably smoother, quieter, and had less of a clunk.

But are they known for having focusing issues, especially as they get worn out? The A7R was spitting out tack-sharp in-focus pics while I could never really get the Rii to give me a good in-focus shot with the same lens. (The lens was a Samyang AF 35/2.8… super cheap but the used/adapted/3rd-party world of E-mount lenses is pretty enticing overall).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did the ii get phase detect? Maybe the third party firmware/hardware couldn’t handle that.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It appears my Oly EM5 kit walked out of a hotel and I will need to replace it. My main uses are backpacking and travel and I mainly shoot macro, landscape, and some photos of my wife and doggo. I prefer minimal post processing.

I think I’ve narrowed my choices down to another Oly, X-T3, or X-T4 - is there anything else I should consider?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Ropes4u posted:

It appears my Oly EM5 kit walked out of a hotel and I will need to replace it. My main uses are backpacking and travel and I mainly shoot macro, landscape, and some photos of my wife and doggo. I prefer minimal post processing.

I think I’ve narrowed my choices down to another Oly, X-T3, or X-T4 - is there anything else I should consider?

Unless you're shooting video an X-T2 will do pretty much everything the X-T3 does. Assuming you can find one, it could be a way of saving some money if you decide an X-T4 is more than you need.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Unless you're shooting video an X-T2 will do pretty much everything the X-T3 does. Assuming you can find one, it could be a way of saving some money if you decide an X-T4 is more than you need.

Outside of a GoPro when scuba diving or mountain biking I don’t shoot video. I didn’t see anything the 4 offered over the 3, did I miss anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The banner feature on the X-T4 is stabilization, the rest of the meaningful improvements over the 3 are for video.