Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Pro shirt/cat combo

Yes ok here is a cat for the snipe

DarkEuphoria fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

Over/under on 300k cases within 2 weeks with College Footbaw's OPEN 'ER UP? :thunk:

over

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
oh I guess it's night drinking now. Who knew? It's fun

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol the us posts like 2000 deaths a day now and nobody cares.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

astronautism posted:

Hello friends! One thing I have found to keep your chin up is to have a pet and get a friend or buddy to take pictures of you. Here is my example. I hope this finds you all well and I'm going to continue daydrinking

:kimchi:

take it easy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

it's p good

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Stereotype posted:

people using "endemic" is just a perfect example of doublespeak. it glazes over what that word actually means and uses it as a disguise that you can use to support whatever you want. when someone says "it's endemic you just have to go out and live your life" there is no correlation between the word "endemic" and "you have to go out and live your life." in fact the truthful meaning of the word; that a regular and prevalent deadly disease that is causing massive waves of incapacitated, hospitalized, and dead people; would seemingly be understood as bad and demand dramatic action. but you don't say that definition, you say endemic, and then it can mean whatever you want.

Something I’ve been noticing is people calling it “an endemic,” which is sort of interesting. They don’t know it’s typically an adjective, they think it’s the other kind of demic and use it as a noun to match the use of pandemic. Maybe that’s a valid use, but I’ve never seen it before as just a standalone noun. “Endemic wildlife,” sure, “this fox is endemic” makes sense, but “look at this endemic” seems pretty uncommon. This implies to me that it’s a new word that people are using for the first time while they’re trying to correct you about what’s really going on. We already know there’s a big media push to get the word endemic out there, but you can really clearly see people experimenting with it if you pay attention lately.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Fireside Nut posted:

lol hell yeah. I’m currently playing through UFO Defense again. game holds up so well

if you're not playing with OpenXCom, get on it

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe
Thoughts on getting the booster post-Regeneron treatment? Obviously yes, just wondering about timing.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Are they going to fix the quarantine system? Even living in the US it's aggravating to see places that managed to eliminate COVID throw it away because they screwed up what should be a simple, airtight process. Wasn't Australia's current out-of-control outbreak caused by a single driver transporting international arrivals to quarantine getting infected? Because drivers somehow can't get infected when on the job, just like people don't get infected when eating at restaurants? Obviously the bigger issue was the NSW state govt choosing death but still.

I want to say that we will but on the other hand as I've said before the government does seem quite slow to react to changing conditions at the 'actual implementation' level. Also despite being the 'Labor' government they still have streaks of being far too lenient with businesses. As an example the fishing industry here has for a long time relied on flying in overseas workers to work on the ships because they're cheaper than training up a local workforce. Cue covid causing that to be an issue and rather than take the L for relying on a ready supply of cheap foreign labour they instead carved out a special exemption system for themselves. And so we had a case a while back where some ship workers coming in from Russia (?) flew into the country, got a Covid test but were allowed to immediately drive 6 hours across the country and get on a ship before they even got the results back for the test. Whoops turns out one of them was positive, pozzed the whole ship full of workers but luckily didn't manage to infect anybody else on their 6 hour cross-country drive.

So yeah on the one hand we do tough lockdowns and generally get good compliance and the government has been quite good about not bullshitting in their press conferences, but on the other hand we still get pandering to industry in ways that massively increase our risk and exposure to border leakage. I hope that they realise after this one that we just can't survive any more fuckups and they cut way back on exemptions and lax quarantine facilities.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Helith posted:

unmasked and unvaxxed in a job where he was supposed to be both
he wasn’t even a regular driver for them either but pulled from a pool of drivers to do that particular job and look where we are now
I blame NSW govt more than him for this though, they should have hired dedicated drivers and made sure they were vaxxed and had sufficient ppe on the job.

They should have encased any international arrivals in giant plastic bubbles on exiting the plane and rolled them to their quarantine cabins in the middle of a desolate windswept plain for three weeks. Failing that, put arrivals on a driverless shuttle to ferry them to the quarantine site. If that's still too hard make the driver's compartment air tight or have them sit on the roof or operate the vehicle by remote control or something! Any one of these arrival quarantine solutions would have been massively cheaper than the direct and indirect costs Australia is going to pay for allowing this to spread out of control.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Please tell me that cats name is Sputnik.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Any explanation why hospital rates are dropping even though they are opening up/schools? Less hospitals reporting? Suppression?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Chud Death cult update 2

Masks don't work still
https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1433837322252926977?s=20

Australia is a hermit kingdom
https://twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1433618004504420355?s=20

Lockdowns are causing the excess deaths
https://twitter.com/MichaelPSenger/status/1433480167213572133?s=20

They fear Eric
https://twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1433444838008147971?s=20

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Death By The Blues posted:

Any explanation why hospital rates are dropping even though they are opening up/schools? Less hospitals reporting? Suppression?

death

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just blatantly ignoring the graph ticking downward at the end

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
we can blatantly ignore whatever we want; there are no consequences because covid is over

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

No matter how bad things get, remember that Joe Biden's plan is working
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1433891056953790482?s=20

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Atrocious Joe posted:

very confused about Liz Bruenigs stance between this and the horse paste article

also wtf. you can do both

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1433815160582381577?s=20
https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1433824258321383435?s=20

Monica Gandhi is an enormous piece of poo poo that is building her whole brand and wealth around being a Blue Maga Covid Influencer. She and Emily Oster need to just fall in a manhole some day. They have/will have killed more kids and families than a two decades of school shootings by the end of the year with their “expertise”.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
american dickheads commenting on the australian situation with no loving idea infuriates me. idiot hell fuckers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lol the us posts like 2000 deaths a day now and nobody cares.

huh, I remember reading this post last year

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

:china:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Atrocious Joe posted:

gotta get that stock market to a ludicrous high before the rich people cash out and leave everyone else broke and homeless like 2008

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Out of interest I checked out the NZ GDP vs. time:

Lmao, drat do you think the Covid is going to be by far the biggest deal of our lifetimes? (No, because that will be climate change)

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I want one of those “covid is over” graphics except with “9,000 covid dead yesterday”

Or “covid forever”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Monica Gandhi is an enormous piece of poo poo that is building her whole brand and wealth around being a Blue Maga Covid Influencer. She and Emily Oster need to just fall in a manhole some day. They have/will have killed more kids and families than a two decades of school shootings by the end of the year with their “expertise”.

I’m confused wasn’t she pro mask?

“Gandhi studied the benefits of wearing face masks to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, and was the first researcher to show evidence that face coverings protected both the mask wearer and others.[15][16] Her research suggested that most masks reduce viral load by filtering 80 percent of particles, and countries with mask mandates had dramatically decreased death rates.”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

it’s the new normal

It’s the μ normal

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Blackhawk posted:

Out of interest I checked out the NZ GDP vs. time:

Lmao, drat do you think the Covid is going to be by far the biggest deal of our lifetimes? (No, because that will be climate change)

covid's the opening act

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

lol we're killing these children
lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Steely Dad posted:

I want one of those “covid is over” graphics except with “9,000 covid dead yesterday”

Or “covid forever”

thousands of people died everyday before COVID

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Blackhawk posted:

Once-in-a-century hurricane/flood/drought/tornado/wildfire/power cut 3 times a month

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
There is a patient in the icu with vaccine induced myocarditis turned NSTEMI that is probably not going to make it.

The antivaxxers were right :tinfoil:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Caseman posted:

lol we're killing these children
lmao

kid flipping the bird rules

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I convinced my mom to go out and augment her titers. I’m still not letting her anywhere near my kids until the metrics look a hell of a lot different, but I feel better about her odds of being around to visit them next summer

As long we all dodge mu, lol lmao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Blackhawk posted:

Nah, because nobody really cares about death as it turns out. Wild fires, floods, hurricanes, and general climate-induced weather poo poo will be a much bigger deal because they aren't ignorable and they're going to directly affect people's lives beyond just killing their neighbors or parents.

I already know people who have been complaining almost non-stop that high temperatures, humidity, and rain just completely ruined summer for them this year. Like more whining than I heard all year last year. People are gonna start crack pinging hard as summer goes from the "fun" season to the "death" season in lots of areas.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

People are gonna start crack pinging hard as summer goes from the "fun" season to the "death" season in lots of areas.

Florida #1 for both 21st century disasters!
WOOOOOO

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Like oops your kids have off, but you're stuck in the house with them because it's a bazillion degrees, all the water has no-swim warnings because of flood contamination, and the air is filled with smoke from wildfires on the other side of the country. Better luck next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

thousands of people died everyday before COVID

I’m not expecting it to change any idiots’ minds