Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Dorkopotamis posted:

Second PSA: If you're looking for a polished experience and don't want to be constantly noticing weird bugs, don't play as a Lich.

I am willing to tolerate all the bugs for how hard Decaying Touch makes my monk hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
I gave in and bought the game after having played Kingmaker but not finished it. I like the character idea of playing a dragon knight that rides a horse, go Azata, and then ride a dragon. However, I'm torn on how to do it. I originally thought of doing mostly dragonheir scion with a dip into cavalier to get the horse. Now I'm starting to think a better course would be Cav3/Sorc2/DD10 for the first 15 levels. This would sacrifice some BAB and combat feats, but give more stats, spells, and dragon form.

Any thoughts? I know both are suboptimal, but I tend to favor fun and thematic builds over optimal builds (I ran a wizard/fighter/EK two-handed in kingmaker and enjoyed it. I think the added abilities and stats outweigh the lost BAB and frats, but I wanted to see if there was something I was missing. Sadly there are so few good assets on class features online. What little time I get playing the game has been spent looking at class progressions...

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
When I try to imagine bringing a horse into some of the places I've already gone, I am forced to conclude that playing a cavalier is animal abuse 😞

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

This is going to be a mildly concussed PSA. When you want to use the crusade map there's a tab on travelling around the world map that swaps to it. It's top centre of the screen, looks like a purple ribbon.

Maybe I didn't notice it for a while because I was expecting to activate a table like in Kingmaker or have a button on the menu for it but that's not the case.

From what little I can tell from using the campaign mode high numbers of units beat low numbers of units to start off. Infantry, archers and clerics are good at the start. The clerics can use skills, like smite. hard recommend.

You can get these shield dwarfs that are low in number but hard to kill but the enemy doesn't seem to want to hit them and they do gently caress all damage so they are rear end. I'm assuming the low quantity of guys in a unit units will increase in value later on.

The most important stat for a general is the one that increases army size because you can have more stacks of guys. I think its called combat manoeuvres. Something like that. I've heard heals are really good too but that hasn't been an option for me yet.

Armies can be merged. This seems to be quite finnicky. They need to be in the same location. Sometimes you can merge them, its a button on the right. Not to be confused with split armies. That seems to make things just more confused. I get the feeling merge requires them to be in the same place before they use any movement points, so at the start of the day. I could be totally wrong about that though. If I'm wrong its not clear why they can't merge sometimes.

You can have an army without a general but it seems to be a bad idea unless they have a clear numerical advantage.

The army mode is wildly unfun to me so I installed the toybox mod to give myself money to buy whatever units I need. I recommend doing the same thing. You can always delete money you don't need to keep the core game normalish so you aren't buying +4 weapons at level 8 or whatever.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 5, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It feels bad to choose weapon bond over horse bond for Seelah at level 5, but my melee line is already crowded, and this seems like an awful place to bring a horse :( Yeah she could ride it but it sure seems like we’re going to be in a lot of dungeons and whatnot.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

She can ride the horse indoors or in caves. Doesn't make any sense. Doesn't have to. I named the horse, horsey, and horsey is a loving bad rear end.

I kind of feel bad when they go into a grease puddle and Seelah comes off the horse but then you shouldn't ride a horse in a cave and throw grease on the floor

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 5, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I’m sure it’s like mechanically all good and sound. Just seems weird to me, so she’ll bond with Radiance instead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Griffen posted:

I gave in and bought the game after having played Kingmaker but not finished it. I like the character idea of playing a dragon knight that rides a horse, go Azata, and then ride a dragon. However, I'm torn on how to do it. I originally thought of doing mostly dragonheir scion with a dip into cavalier to get the horse. Now I'm starting to think a better course would be Cav3/Sorc2/DD10 for the first 15 levels. This would sacrifice some BAB and combat feats, but give more stats, spells, and dragon form.

Any thoughts? I know both are suboptimal, but I tend to favor fun and thematic builds over optimal builds (I ran a wizard/fighter/EK two-handed in kingmaker and enjoyed it. I think the added abilities and stats outweigh the lost BAB and frats, but I wanted to see if there was something I was missing. Sadly there are so few good assets on class features online. What little time I get playing the game has been spent looking at class progressions...

Bloodrager with a dragon bloodline. There is a bloodrager subclass that gets a pet, the choice is EXTREMELY limited and you won't be able to ride it until level 7, but if you're going for dragon riding it's probably not going to matter much. But at least around early act 2 you'll be able to ride a big angry sabertooth tiger. Just focus in on polearm weapons and go HAM with full base attack bonus and sorcerer spells.

Barring that - go full Regongar and go Eldritch Scion. The problem with that as a mounted character is that you explicitly don't get to use the fun polearms.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, are there a lot of fights like the bar fight, cause that was pretty tedious waiting for all the npc actions

Also I'm glad to see my favorite kingmaker bug is still present, where you charge and then just stand there dancing like you really need to pee, then you lose your actions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm finding a ton of stuff that seems to overlap and not give additional bonuses. How is that working? Like mage armor and any assorted armor won't stack makes sense, but I'm still not clear on how to stack AC increases in general.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

pentyne posted:

I'm finding a ton of stuff that seems to overlap and not give additional bonuses. How is that working? Like mage armor and any assorted armor won't stack makes sense, but I'm still not clear on how to stack AC increases in general.

Things that are the same type of bonus won't stack. If you have a +2 deflection ring and cast shield of faith which gives a +2 deflection bonus to AC, you won't get +4, just +2. This is the same for everything: stats, skill checks, attack damage, attack rolls...

WELCOME TO 3.5

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

An important note related to this conversation is, early on you can find a pet (put it on your quick item bar and summon it, out of combat's fine), AND a familiar, who give you different types of bonuses to Perception (I think one's a "lore" bonus and the other's some other type), but they stack if you've got them both hanging out.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm playing a blood kineticist and am now encountering a bug where everything, even wolves, are immune to my basic blasts.

The game is extremely ambitious and good but 20 hours in and I am seeing at least one gameplay effecting bug per area or encounter. This might be a controversial statement, given recent history in video games, but I do think this is the buggiest launch for a game that I have played and I did start cyberpunk on day 1. In fact, the sheer amount of bugs I am witnessing and reporting vastly outnumbers that of any other game.

Sure, it doesn't stop me from playing, but it really damages the experience.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I killed halrun but get wrecked by seemingly everything else lol

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Grondoth posted:

Things that are the same type of bonus won't stack. If you have a +2 deflection ring and cast shield of faith which gives a +2 deflection bonus to AC, you won't get +4, just +2. This is the same for everything: stats, skill checks, attack damage, attack rolls...

Only almost everything: in Pathfinder, some specific types of bonuses stack with others of the same type: generally dodge bonuses, racial bonuses, and some-but-not-all circumstance bonus stack, as well as untyped bonuses that are not from the same source.

This is why I only play 3.5-alikes when there is a computer keeping track of all this poo poo for me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Oh so that's why I haven't been able to recruit more troops, there's an entire little city building thing to do the game really should have held your hand through!

Ugh, at least I'm only a week behind on it...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Only almost everything: in Pathfinder, some specific types of bonuses stack with others of the same type: generally dodge bonuses, racial bonuses, and some-but-not-all circumstance bonus stack, as well as untyped bonuses that are not from the same source.

This is why I only play 3.5-alikes when there is a computer keeping track of all this poo poo for me.

I've seen profane, inspired, competence, natural, etc. types of bonuses and I know the whole point is a +2 X bonus will stack with a +2 Y bonus I've just not figured out the combination of things to be doing sans equipment to stack them all, plus once you start getting equipment you have figure out what overrides what. I can't tell yet, but if you have a ring of +1 deflection, does that prevent a spell of +2 deflection from increasing your AC?

Is anyone enjoying Crusade mode? It's only been a few days but I feel like no one is really finding anything to praise about it.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'm playing a blood kineticist and am now encountering a bug where everything, even wolves, are immune to my basic blasts.

The game is extremely ambitious and good but 20 hours in and I am seeing at least one gameplay effecting bug per area or encounter. This might be a controversial statement, given recent history in video games, but I do think this is the buggiest launch for a game that I have played and I did start cyberpunk on day 1. In fact, the sheer amount of bugs I am witnessing and reporting vastly outnumbers that of any other game.

Sure, it doesn't stop me from playing, but it really damages the experience.

I am eagerly reading the thread so that when I play this in like a year I have some tips for the hopefully by then bug free game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pentyne posted:

I've seen profane, inspired, competence, natural, etc. types of bonuses and I know the whole point is a +2 X bonus will stack with a +2 Y bonus I've just not figured out the combination of things to be doing sans equipment to stack them all, plus once you start getting equipment you have figure out what overrides what. I can't tell yet, but if you have a ring of +1 deflection, does that prevent a spell of +2 deflection from increasing your AC?

Is anyone enjoying Crusade mode? It's only been a few days but I feel like no one is really finding anything to praise about it.

It doesn't prevent it, they simply don't stack. The +2 spell will take primacy.

To increase your AC you need high values from a lot of different sources (armor, natural, deflection, dodge, and as many untyped bonuses as you can stuff in your pants).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

pentyne posted:

I've just not figured out the combination of things to be doing sans equipment to stack them all, plus once you start getting equipment you have figure out what overrides what. I can't tell yet, but if you have a ring of +1 deflection, does that prevent a spell of +2 deflection from increasing your AC?

The highest bonus of X type will always apply. I think the game (in one of its more notable improvements over Kingmaker) will highlight when you've applied conflicting bonuses - so for example when I cast Shield of Faith (+2 deflection) on my PC who had a Ring of Protection (+1 deflection), there was a tutorial notice and also an icon on the portrait saying "you have these two bonuses applied but only the higher one is actually working".

The first part is harder, because it's going to depend on knowing the feat list, the spell list, and your class features very, very well (or not being afraid to go find a wiki - hopefully not the fextralife one because it's poo poo - or take notes from the various screens in game, or just go find a build guide where someone else has already done this for you), because there's no real place that easily consolidates all the various types of bonuses you currently and could potentially have access to, and finding the synergies for all of these between your race, class, feature, feat and equipment selections is pretty much the core of system mastery.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Coming off of Deadfire (and Dragon Age Origins a decade before), I'm disappointed with the party AI in WotR. It seems to be a weapons-only-focus-fire-all-the-time without any configs for positioning or grouping or survivability. If I send my two tanks into opposite directions, one will invariably beeline to the other because I didn't order them to attack a specific target or because the target they were assigned to died. In Deadfire, I can script my tanks to cover multiple chokepoints without much worry. I still had to, like, play the game, but I didn't have to persistently guide my units to do the opposite of their scripting and I don't want to have to order literally every attack to have a good amount of control

Right now I feel like the order of priority for further development is gamebreaking bugs -> Crusade frustrations/wonkiness/disinterest -> AI scripting. I mean, I'm enjoying it, I played all day today and quite a bit of yesterday, and the improvements from Kingmaker are notable, but there's still a ton of room to grow

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kaddish posted:

Finally encountered a fairly bad bug, probably stopping me from completing a location. The enemies in the basement of the Pitaxian wine cellar are completely invincible. No amount of restarting the game or flipping from rtwp/tb makes a difference. Seems to be a fairly common bug.

Edit - And nevermind, just reduced difficulty to Story and killed them nearly instantly in real time.

I had this one, going back and reloading fixed it too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Kingmaker question: I gave Valerie Crane Style, and I have her activating both Fighting Defensively and Crane Style. However, I do not see an increase to her armor class, nor do I see a change in my attack rating. Are those bonuses not displayed on the character sheet or something?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My entire experience with mounts in this game was in the beta respeccing in the middle of act 3 to a class with a mount and choosing Triceratops as my animal companion. It was so big it took up 1/2 the viewable screen while fully zoomed out. I promptly respecced and decided to never try mounts again :v:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Node posted:

Kingmaker question: I gave Valerie Crane Style, and I have her activating both Fighting Defensively and Crane Style. However, I do not see an increase to her armor class, nor do I see a change in my attack rating. Are those bonuses not displayed on the character sheet or something?

Some bonuses are only displayed during combat or in the combat log.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm feeling really dumb. How do I add new spells to a spellbook? I'm right-clicking on scrolls and not seeing scribe or anything.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Raged posted:

I'm feeling really dumb. How do I add new spells to a spellbook? I'm right-clicking on scrolls and not seeing scribe or anything.

That's how you do it, so either they already know it or they're a spontaneous caster and don't use a spellbook you can scribe things into. (Ember is a spontaneous caster, as is Daeran, for instance.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Raged posted:

That is how you do it. Make sure that it's a character who can add spells to his or her book (Wolif and Nenio from the early companions) and when you right click on the spell scroll, if it's one they can add to their book, it'll say "Add to Spellbook (Name of character)". If it isn't coming up, then either it's the wrong type of spell (can't scribe divine spells, for instance) or they already have the spell in their book.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

is no one else running into the issue where wights sometimes dont take any damage? the first time it happened i just brute forced through it, but now ive run into a named one who seems to never take any damage at all and killed my entire party single handedly

oh i should have scrolled up

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 5, 2021

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Thanks. Really wish there was a search function for all the scrolls I have

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

why the hell isnt my banner of defense turning green. there's no enemies sieging my forts, and i've killed every "attacking" demon army ive found, which apparently causes it??? but its still loving red and my morale is in the negatives.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gotta say, I'm loving Ember. Deep Slumber is so awesome. I'd swear I did more Coup de Graces in the Market Square alone than I did playing all of Kingmaker!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DropTheAnvil posted:

I picked up the Metamagic: Extend feat. I want to use it on Bulls Strength to extend the duration, but I'm not seeing any way to do that.

There's a metamagic toggle in the spellbook, use it to create icons for "this spell, but with that metamagic"

Node posted:

Fighting defensively only works when you're fighting. You have to attack a thing before it turns on, then keep attacking things else it turns back off.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
What feels like a better first playthrough? Angel or Azata? Both seem to have a strong connection to the campaign, with Azata being connected to Arueshale, and Angel being the most obvious and first one.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Should a Haramaki be turning off Canny Defense for a sword saint? It's light armor right?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Caidin posted:

Should a Haramaki be turning off Canny Defense for a sword saint? It's light armor right?

If 'sword saint' is what Owlcat called the kensei archetype, they don't use armour at all.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
How'd I get filth fever and how do I get rid of it? Also which monster did a strength loss attack on me? A ghost?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
is there a list of things you gotta do before the tavern fight that aren't available after?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

poe meater posted:

How'd I get filth fever and how do I get rid of it? Also which monster did a strength loss attack on me? A ghost?

You blew a Fortitude save when being bitten by a Rat Swarm. You can get rid of it with a good Treat Affliction roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Having beaten Kingmaker back before they made it less poo poo (I cheated in the House) I am once again confronted with the "You died of typhoid" fun of D&D. Not too far in, but currently confronted with the fact that my main character is blind, has -8 str, I'm low on health potions and too poor to afford enough potions of lesser restoration in addition to removing the blindness so just gonna have to tough it out for a bit.