Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Milosh posted:

my wife miscarried last night. gently caress 2021.

you don't have DMs so uh

this is how i kicked off my 2020 a little over a month before the pandemic hit

it was our first pregnancy and we haven't tried again. don't know if this is your first but i hope you haven't suffered through this poo poo repeatedly.

after our miscarriage my wife changed jobs and we moved. the whole thing is shaping up like a road not taken since i don't know how to rationalize trying again right at this insane moment.

therapy is good in this situation because partners grieve differently and can be unsuited mediators for each other's grief

i've felt less alone because of the number of friends who have shared that they've had similar experiences, and also the pervasive sense of loss in this moment

there's no right way to handle what you're experiencing right now and the same goes for your wife. the next few days as her body comes crashing off of all the pregnancy hormones and she suffers through whatever Rx or procedure is needed are going to be some version of hell for her, both physically and emotionally. it seems like physical pain levels are wildly variable. nursing her through that will keep you very busy for the next few days and give you a sense of purpose when everything feels like absolute poo poo. focus on that for now and you'll have plenty of time later to process how you're feeling.

condolences on the things that can't be changed and good luck on the things that are indeterminate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
Yeah turns out the college thing is just everywhere, lol.

My social media feed is filled with friends who are at packed indoor concerts. Open Biden I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Salt Fish posted:

I got tim tams during some SA candy exchange thread where I traded 50 dollars of candy to some bloke in AUS. That was pretty cool but I'm too lazy now for something like that now.

They taste great if all you drank was soda

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Also just got around to reading the interviews with the Sydney limo driver patient zero, and yeah, he comes across as a tool

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
God loving drat it, Melbourne is really genuinely gonna let 'er rip:

quote:

Victoria records 183 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19, with 101 linked to known outbreaks

Victoria has recorded 183 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 as the state pushes to get vaccination rates ahead of a rapidly growing outbreak.

Of the new infections, 101 have been so far linked to known cases.

The state has stopped providing detail on how many people were in the community while infectious as contact tracers deal with hundreds of new cases.

It brings the total number of active infections in the state to 1,417, with only three of those acquired overseas.

There are 24 people with COVID-19 in Victorian intensive care units, and 13 of them are on a ventilator. Only one of the 89 people in hospital has had two doses of a vaccine.

With the goal of COVID zero now abandoned, authorities have urged Victorians to stick with lockdown rules until vaccination targets are met and it is safe to ease restrictions.

There were 29,950 doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered yesterday at state-run sites, and tens of thousands more through the Commonwealth rollout.

It means more than 60 per cent of Victorians aged 16 and above have now had at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

"And we are well on our way to achieving the 1 million jabs over a five-week period," Premier Daniel Andrews said.

"We are indeed ahead of that a bit and we should meet that target ahead of schedule."

There will be a slight easing of restrictions in regional Victoria in the coming week, and Melbourne will get very minor freedoms once the state hits a target of 70 per cent of the 16+ population having one dose of a vaccine.

Those include an extra hour allowed for exercise and the expansion of the 5-kilometre radius to 10 kilometres.

Mr Andrews hinted there may be some further restrictions eased at that threshold if Victorians got vaccinated at a faster rate.

But it is not until 70 per cent of people aged 16 and above have had both doses that Melbourne's extended lockdown will end.

The most significant opening up will occur once 80 per cent of the 16+ population has had two doses of a vaccine, in line with the National Cabinet plan.

"It is not going away until we get 80 per cent of people through the vaccination program," Mr Andrews cautioned.

"And even then it will be very challenging, because we will open up and it will tear through the people who are not vaccinated.

"That's the peak. That's the spike that we are going to have to manage."

The new local cases were found from 48,487 test results processed on Saturday.

Mr Andrews said 91 per cent of the new infections were aged under 50.

Overall, 216 of the cases are under 10 years old, 232 are aged 10-19, 348 are aged in their 20s, and 245 are aged in their 30s.

The state saw a significant jump in cases during the week, from 73 on Monday to a high of 208 from Thursday's tests and 190 from Friday's tests.

The number of people in intensive care units across the state has steadily risen along with infection rates.

The Chief Health Officer yesterday said it was not yet clear whether the state had reached its peak, but that it was possible there would be a "steady" continual increase in infection rates like is being seen in Sydney.

There are concerns Victoria's health system would not be able to cope with an influx of COVID patients in hospitals.

A new COVID-19 pandemic ward opened at the Northern Hospital in Epping on Friday afternoon, with 20 of the 24 beds already filled by Saturday
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-05/victoria-records-183-new-local-covid-cases/100434852

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL not to be outdone, Sydney is promising to open up even harder

quote:

COVID live updates: No statewide lockdowns 'ever again' once NSW is 80 per cent vaccinated, Berejiklian says

Ms Berejiklian says life will look better when 80 per cent of the population has had two doses of a COVID vaccine.

"I know I sound like a broken record, but with good reason because when we get those vaccination rates, life will look better and feel better and we certainly will not have to have a statewide lockdown ever again when we hit the 80 per cent double dose vaccination rates which is what we're looking forward to."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-05/covid-live-blog-nsw-press-conference-victoria-new-cases/100435000

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

covid is over!

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

LionArcher posted:

this is from today.

enter the sandman was so two days ago.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1434227610393972737?s=20

The crowd is dressed like that covid virus pic we have all seen for ages now.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Fireside Nut posted:

ah poo poo. that’s awful. younger male?

Relatively, yes. 46 years old. Also a whole bunch of comorbidities and mrsa sepsis, drug use, alcohol, etc. If he did truly get myocarditis, then it happened at the worst loving time possible (we can't do a cardiac mri because he won't fit and also a study where you hold your breath 80+ times is hard when you're intubated).

Anyway there are 6 critical care ICU patients just hanging out in the ED right now because all the ICU pools are full (neuro, med, cardiac).

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
More importantly wvu lost and that mad me mad and then I think about ea dropping that college game in the near future and it's going to be such a lovely disaster.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

I want one of those “covid is over” graphics except with “9,000 covid dead yesterday”

Or “covid forever”

Covid Forever
Covid Returns
Covid: The Long Halloween
Covid: The Man Who LOL LMAOs

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm an introvert. It's a piece of cake for me to avoid people. My partner is an extrovert. She was willing to play it safe until she got vaccinated. After that, I have had a hard time talking her out of going places and doing things un-masked. Her lungs are already damaged because both her parents smoked indoors. She knows this, she knows the risks, she believes all the doomer data I show her, she isn't a succlib or a chud, but she's insistent that she must hang out with people or she'll go insane. And she might be right. She's had some serious breakdowns during all this.

I work in a university dining hall that opens for full indoor, sit down, take your mask off and spread this aerosolized virus all over the building in a matter of days.

If I'm not posting in a month, I'm dead.

I'm a barfly by nature

This entire pandemic has been pretty fuckin' easy for me to handle because I realized that if I gently caress up and die I can't go back to the poo poo I used to love. It goes away forever. A person I worked with put it best, "this is a moment in time, the stuff you love will be there in the future if you do the right things now."

People who suicide over the need to hit Red Lobster right now aren't extroverts, they're just nihilists.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nihilists think that nothing matters, not that red lobster matters so much that life isn't worth living without it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm a barfly by nature

This entire pandemic has been pretty fuckin' easy for me to handle because I realized that if I gently caress up and die I can't go back to the poo poo I used to love. It goes away forever. A person I worked with put it best, "this is a moment in time, the stuff you love will be there in the future if you do the right things now."

People who suicide over the need to hit Red Lobster right now aren't extroverts, they're just nihilists.

Same here. My favorite thing to do with my SO was go out and try new restaurants. I loved going out. And I'll get to do that again unless one or both of us gets hosed up with Long Covid or worse because we couldn't keep it in our pants for a couple years when death walked the streets. People are rationalizing poor decisionmaking because IT'S MY LIFE I HAVE TO LIVE well it's real loving easy to say that until you can barely make it up a flight of stairs or can't pull a paycheck anymore because you can't focus for more than five minutes without getting a migraine. It's one step removed from people saying my body my choice and then getting tubed a month later.

Actually one of the worst things about this poo poo situation is that I'd really like to hang out with people at this point but almost none of the piece of poo poo libs I used to be friends with will wear masks when they hang out outside, so it's a no go. Because wearing masks is ~upsetting~, why can't it be ~normal~.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 5, 2021

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

ban the NCAA forever

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure China's still a developing country as far as IMF loans are concerned.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm a barfly by nature

same. my social dances too, and martial arts. and I’m just holding out and waiting. the next three months is me losing weight/ and just focusing on my business.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 5, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"You just like to be alone and are using this as an excuse"

Weird how much I must love being alone when before covid I was on an adult amateur sports team with twenty other people and traveled with them for tournaments for no reason other than I enjoyed doing that.

Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Same here. My favorite thing to do with my SO was go out and try new restaurants. I loved going out. And I'll get to do that again unless one or both of us gets hosed up with Long Covid or worse because we couldn't keep it in our pants for a couple years when death walked the streets. People are rationalizing poor decisionmaking because IT'S MY LIFE I HAVE TO LIVE well it's real loving easy to say that until you can barely make it up a flight of stairs or can't pull a paycheck anymore because you can't focus for more than five minutes without getting a migraine. It's one step removed from people saying my body my choice and then getting tubed a month later.

Actually one of the worst things about this poo poo situation is that I'd really like to hang out with people at this point but almost none of the piece of poo poo libs I used to be friends with will wear masks when they hang out outside, so it's a no go. Because wearing masks is ~upsetting~, why can't it be ~normal~.

I'm going insane here at being shitbagged by supposed normies for being a 'basement dweller' when I never was pre-covid. I am now, and it's their fault. thanks guys.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Back of the chair could easily be a headstone

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
no one in america has actually ever been asked to sacrifice anything ever. telling people they have to completely halt their lives for months is just never going to work with people who have enormous tantrums about high efficiency lightbulbs and low flow toilets.

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

no one in america has actually ever been asked to sacrifice anything ever. telling people they have to completely halt their lives for months is just never going to work with people who have enormous tantrums about high efficiency lightbulbs and low flow toilets.

They're dying

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

LionArcher posted:

same. my social dances too, and martial arts. and I’m just holding out and waiting. the next three months is me losing wait and just focusing on my business.

not to mention documented evidence bear orgies are a nogo if u don't want to get infected :smith:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Stereotype posted:

this is so wrong, sometimes I mistime the skip 30 second button on my DVR and have to watch a commercial

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Stereotype posted:

never understood people complaining about lightbulbs. okay, so the law says i have to buy the lightbulb that lasts 100 times as long and uses 1/10th of the electricity. hold on while i rend my garments and tear out my hair

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

astronautism posted:

Hello friends! One thing I have found to keep your chin up is to have a pet and get a friend or buddy to take pictures of you. Here is my example. I hope this finds you all well and I'm going to continue daydrinking

the aura of this post is, quite frankly, outrageously powerful

i will offer blessings to you and your cat, goon. stay strong during these uncertain times

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

well they haven't died yet, so how dangerous could it be. they'll stop being obnoxious crybabies when they're dead.

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

well they haven't died yet, so how dangerous could it be. they'll stop being obnoxious crybabies when they're dead.

it's fun because they keep dying and also there are more of them and they keep dying the same way.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the μ normal

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the μ normal

lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

It's lunacy. I've got a toddler. My friends have got toddlers and kids too young to be vaccinated. I've got immunocompromised mates, some in high risk work. The official policy is basically for them to go gently caress themselves so we can all head back into the office or go for brunch and pretend nothing is wrong.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

it's fun because they keep dying and also there are more of them and they keep dying the same way.

everyone seems to be thinking "how bad could it possibly get" and man, there are a ton of people who are going to die. there's a seemingly never-ending stream of identical fat white people clumsily telling you about an article they read on facebook about how actually the lockdowns and vaccines have killed more people. big numbers are scary because people do not understand them at all. i do numbers for a living and i definitely can't properly imagine them. there are a lot of people who are awfully confident that whatever numbers they are saying are okay, people i assure you would cringe and say "oh i hated math" when i tell them what my job is.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the μ normal

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

I'm going insane here at being shitbagged by supposed normies for being a 'basement dweller' when I never was pre-covid. I am now, and it's their fault. thanks guys.

lol this made me realize that for years pre pandemic I was on a bo burnham type arc of coming out of a depressive and isolatory shell due to paat trauma over the course of years and had for the first time in my life felt a sense of purpose and belonging and community and then everyone in that community got brain damage from trump leading to full blue maga mindset leading to full open biden and here I am disconnecting fully from a death cult society again but this time it's good alienation because it's based on valuing life

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance ends tomorrow :hmbol:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

ram dass in hell posted:

lol this made me realize that for years pre pandemic I was on a bo burnham type arc of coming out of a depressive and isolatory shell due to paat trauma over the course of years and had for the first time in my life felt a sense of purpose and belonging and community and then everyone in that community got brain damage from trump leading to full blue maga mindset leading to full open biden and here I am disconnecting fully from a death cult society again but this time it's good alienation because it's based on valuing life

:same::same::same::same::same::same::same:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

to the goon who makes the covid gear, bring back v-necks you son of a bitch :argh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the μ normal

lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

how long til yr remote work opportunities expand to california ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

ram dass in hell posted:

how long til yr remote work opportunities expand to california ???

no idea but as soon as i know we've expanded, i'll update my poo poo