Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Business Gorillas posted:

no idea but as soon as i know we've expanded, i'll update my poo poo

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ram dass in hell posted:

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance ends tomorrow :hmbol:

of course, the pandemic and any associated losses of employment is over now. everything is back to normal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Remember April 2020? We had no clue what spreads covid the most. This got posted in the pseudoscience thread for suggesting that noise could be a factor. She's been vindicated many times over by the many studies saying that loud talking massively increases the amount of aerosolized saliva spewed into the air.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ram dass in hell posted:

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance ends tomorrow :hmbol:

i legit loving hate some of my coworkers because they're giddy that we'll start getting a flood of applicants into our jobs. we have people flooding in already trying to dodge the covid pits and what's coming to the point that our main barrier is we don't have enough time in the day to interview everyone

(check the mutual aid thread for more details and get yourself put at the top of the list)

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

My younger brother’s University reopened to having some in person classes. On his second day the professor made an announcement that someone who attended the first day tested positive for COVID so the professor will be posting everything online for the next few sessions.

University only sent out a notification email later that day after class lol

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm a barfly by nature

This entire pandemic has been pretty fuckin' easy for me to handle because I realized that if I gently caress up and die I can't go back to the poo poo I used to love. It goes away forever. A person I worked with put it best, "this is a moment in time, the stuff you love will be there in the future if you do the right things now."

People who suicide over the need to hit Red Lobster right now aren't extroverts, they're just nihilists.

Same here. I like drinking with friends and strangers, I like traveling, I like live music, I’m the most bored I’ve ever been in my life. That’s fine though, because not only am I keeping myself alive and being one less piece of connective tissue in this stupid thing, but I also know that the things I love don’t actually exist in the way that I love them right now.

You know who’s at the bar right now? The kind of people who would go to the bar right now. Those aren’t my people, I don’t want to hang out with them, we have nothing in common. I can’t deal with a conversation about how nice it is to be back to normal, or what we did during the pandemic, and I for drat sure don’t want to show my face and announce to a bunch of old friends that I have joined them in giving up, even if they would be very happy to see me do it.

Same deal with everything else. I don’t want to go make friends in a hostel, I don’t want to be the guy who went to Mexico at this point in history, I don’t want to know that I was at the show where everybody got sick. I won’t do it, I’m not going to do a shittier version of a cool thing just to feel like the world is okay again, it’s a dangerous lie and I won’t tell it to myself or anyone else.

This whole thing has asked us what we are each really made of. Are you good in an emergency? Can you turn off your desires long enough to make a decision that impacts others correctly? Are you a sentient enough dude to not blithely gently caress around and get your elderly neighbor killed because you got bored and the world got scary? Are you even put together well enough to realize that you’re taking a test? This is a very clear opportunity to decide what kind of person you want to have been when the chips were down. I don’t want to hang out with the people who didn’t even realize there was a moral decision to be made here, or worse, the ones who did realize it and decided it wasn’t important to make the right decision.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 5, 2021

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

gay_crimes posted:

My grandparents were all alive before 2020 and are all dead now, either directly from covid or indirectly, I know a lot of other people who have lost grandparents or parents already too. Grandparents are old and death prone but it seems higher than usual? Maybe society will just fail and kill everyone older than 60ish that isn't rich or healthy? I don't really know how this ends, it feels like it never will

My grandma called the other day because she's getting her affairs in order. :smith:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Rubby posted:

HELLO FRIENDS

Since my unemployment runs out tomorrow and nobody at any level of government has talked about extending it COVID MUST WELL AND TRULY BE OVER!!

If you want to celebrate labor day with a capitalism - buy shirt here: :siren::siren::siren:https://rubby.threadless.com/designs/open-biden/mens/t-shirt/regular?variation=front&color=black:siren::siren::siren:

It is also available as a Greeting card! or a ....zip pouch ...I don't know why, that's super loving weird BUT IT MAKES AN INCREDIBLE GIFT FOR THE BRUNCH LIB IN YOUR LIFE to acknowledge and celebrate that COVID IS OVER

I am INCREDIBLY EXCITED to GET BACK OUT THERE secure in the knowledge that there is not a much more transmissible variant floating about and that our miracle vaccines will SAVE THE DAY no this is NOT me having a mental break PRAISE BE TO OPEN BIDEN

lol i couldn't help it, got the shirt and the mug

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Real Mean Queen posted:

Same here. I like drinking with friends and strangers, I like traveling, I like live music, I’m the most bored I’ve ever been in my life. That’s fine though, because not only am I keeping myself alive and being one less piece of connective tissue in this stupid thing, but I also know that the things I love don’t actually exist in the way that I love them right now.

You know who’s at the bar right now? The kind of people who would go to the bar right now. Those aren’t my people, I don’t want to hang out with them, we have nothing in common. I can’t deal with a conversation about how nice it is to be back to normal, or what we did during the pandemic, and I for drat sure don’t want to show my face and announce to a bunch of old friends that I have joined them in giving up, even if they would be very happy to see me do it.

Same deal with everything else. I don’t want to go make friends in a hostel, I don’t want to be the guy who went to Mexico at this point in history, I don’t want to know that I was at the show where everybody got sick. I won’t do it, I’m not going to do a shittier version of a cool thing just to feel like the world is okay again, it’s a dangerous lie and I won’t tell it to myself or anyone else.

This whole thing has asked us what we are each really made of. Are you good in an emergency? Can you turn off your desires long enough to make a decision that impacts others correctly? Are you a sentient enough dude to not blithely gently caress around and get your elderly neighbor killed because you got bored and the world got scary? Are you even put together well enough to realize that you’re taking a test? This is a very clear opportunity to decide what kind of person you want to have been when the chips were down. I don’t want to hang out with the people who didn’t even realize there was a moral decision to be made here, or worse, the ones who did realize it and decided it wasn’t important to make the right decision.

fuckin a

well said

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

super sweet best pal posted:

My grandma called the other day because she's getting her affairs in order. :smith:

mine called me last week because I didn't check in every 5 days like normal :( it made me very sad and mad at myself.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Real Mean Queen posted:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

a good post

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

lol this made me realize that for years pre pandemic I was on a bo burnham type arc of coming out of a depressive and isolatory shell due to paat trauma over the course of years and had for the first time in my life felt a sense of purpose and belonging and community and then everyone in that community got brain damage from trump leading to full blue maga mindset leading to full open biden and here I am disconnecting fully from a death cult society again but this time it's good alienation because it's based on valuing life

I actually liked being social up until late 2019

what a loving moron I was. Utter dipshit.

I'm not being ironic here, I was actually a dipshit for being social, I get so much more done now and I've lost 30 lbs

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Real Mean Queen posted:

read that as a brunch of old friends and i'm going to stick with that

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Apr 7, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

One of the very people you're talking about murdered someone at a bar in my neighborhood last night because he was the sort who couldn't handle life without going out right now.

I don't want to be around people who can't self-police right now. I really can't do it.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I actually liked being social up until late 2019

what a loving moron I was. Utter dipshit.

I'm not being ironic here, I was actually a dipshit for being social, I get so much more done now and I've lost 30 lbs

Same except actually my mental health is in the gutter and I’ve gained like 50. I am doing this poo poo because it’s the right thing to do but boy will my face be red when the weight I gained staying home and depressed is what kills me when I catch the vaccine-resistant strain bred by all the people who went out anyway. lol lmao, as they say

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

One of the very people you're talking about murdered someone at a bar in my neighborhood last night because he was the sort who couldn't handle life without going out right now.

I don't want to be around people who can't self-police right now. I really can't do it.

jfc

Apr 7, 2003

Steely Dad posted:

Same except actually my mental health is in the gutter and I’ve gained like 50. I am doing this poo poo because it’s the right thing to do but boy will my face be red when the weight I gained staying home and depressed is what kills me when I catch the vaccine-resistant strain bred by all the people who went out anyway. lol lmao, as they say

Ride a bike, it's nice and gets you away from human beings and out into the woods where things are nice and also you can listen to podcasts while you ride if that's your thing.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Sounds about right, and I hope it wasn't anyone you knew or cared about.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Afghan refugees were given ivermectin as part of their vaccination program. Aha, said antivaxxers, there’s proof that ivermectin works against Covid:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7004224908637031685

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Real Mean Queen posted:

put that on a shirt

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Ride a bike, it's nice and gets you away from human beings and out into the woods where things are nice and also you can listen to podcasts while you ride if that's your thing.

I have done many a long bike ride and agree about this, but am unfortunately not in a place where I can turn this thought into the life change it’ll take. Not stuff I care to get into in the dead comedy forum covid thread, though

Apr 7, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

Sounds about right, and I hope it wasn't anyone you knew or cared about.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2021/09/04/homicide-pittsburgh-beechview-methyl-fatal-shooting/stories/202109040028

The guy who was charged doored my car a month ago and left his car running in the street because he was shitfaced on his way back from the bar. A neighbor of mine stopped him and I'm glad he didn't get murdered.

I love going out when things are good and normal. I will not hang out with people like this right now, in this moment.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

Afghan refugees were given ivermectin as part of their vaccination program. Aha, said antivaxxers, there’s proof that ivermectin works against Covid:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7004224908637031685

they just fundamentally don't understand why everyone is making fun of them for eating the horse paste

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

they just fundamentally don't understand why everyone is making fun of them for eating the horse paste

They literally think that it's smart of them to make choices outside of the medical orthodoxy because they genuinely believe that the medical orthodoxy is about killing people.

Apr 7, 2003

It doesn't matter what that choice is. Eat horse paste? Huff aquarium cleaning chemicals? All good. The DoKKKtors don't want you to do it. So it's fine.

Apr 7, 2003

My dad killed himself at 46 years of age with this mentality so I am infinitely familiar with it, ama

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

They literally think that it's smart of them to make choices outside of the medical orthodoxy because they genuinely believe that the medical orthodoxy is about killing people.

i mean these are real drugs that are definitely cures for things, they aren't completely outside the medical orthodoxy either. the part that is extremely stupid is that they are all just self administering a thing that happens to contain a real medicine but not in the way where it would be effective because they don't actually understand anything about it. it's very cargo-cultish. they don't think they need to understand any underlying mechanics or that there might be some subtlety, no, the horse paste has the covid cure because it says the same medicine word as the one i heard works.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there was a book about a guy who went a million years in the future and humans were actually still around but the world was more accurately just an enormous logistics computer supplying every possible need for the whole society, which was sort of just more machines endlessly expanding and sending out space freighters. the humans weren't really people though, they were just docile apes because they had lost all their curiosity about how everything worked. everything had always worked so no need to understand it. a ton of people don't understand how anything works

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/09/03/biden-unemployment-white-house/

quote:

Anticipating a backlash to the program’s expiration next week, the Biden administration two weeks ago said states could on their own extend the jobless benefits using leftover state aid from Biden’s stimulus bill in March. Not a single state appears likely to do so, at least as of Friday. As a result, roughly 10 million people are set to lose some unemployment benefits on Sept. 6, including 7 million people who will lose all benefits.

“There’s a lot of anxiety internally right now, particularly given [the coronavirus] delta [variant], about going over the cliff — much more than there was two months ago,” one senior administration official told The Washington Post in late August.

A senior congressional Democratic aide added: “At the White House staff level, there’s a ton of support for focusing on at least trying to extend additional weeks for gig-workers and self-employed workers. But they’re not trying.”

The Captain Planet parody where Don Cheadle is summoned to save the earth, but he loses his mind and just keeps turning everything into trees

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/09/03/biden-unemployment-white-house/

The Captain Planet parody where Don Cheadle is summoned to save the earth, but he loses his mind and just keeps turning everything into trees

did the whole drat eviction moratorium get forgotten too? what in the gently caress is the white house doing... are they working with Pelosi and congress to get anything done? loving anything!?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

mod sassinator posted:

did the whole drat eviction moratorium get forgotten too? what in the gently caress is the white house doing... are they working with Pelosi and congress to get anything done? loving anything!?

:dementia:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I didn't snap until we gave up and it was all for nothing.

And Israel number is pretty concerning.

Am I a chud now?

do you believe it was all for nothing because COVID is less dangerous than the flu

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

a great post and exactly how I feel.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
in hell world 2030 we'll have a new pandemic and people will just shrug and say "meh, covid kills the same number of people a year and we don't stop anything for it"

the life expectancy will be down to 65

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

Relatively, yes. 46 years old. Also a whole bunch of comorbidities and mrsa sepsis, drug use, alcohol, etc. If he did truly get myocarditis, then it happened at the worst loving time possible (we can't do a cardiac mri because he won't fit and also a study where you hold your breath 80+ times is hard when you're intubated).

Anyway there are 6 critical care ICU patients just hanging out in the ED right now because all the ICU pools are full (neuro, med, cardiac).

the good news is that a good portion of anti-vax people seem to be in favor of genociding obese people, so there is a possibility they won't all rally behind this case as a reason the vax is bad.

i don't actually know actually know if this is good news.

https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/1431746764390944768?s=20

like, these idiots think revamping the US food system is easier than vaccinating everyone.

Zaid is actually one of the less moralistic people advancing this line. He at least motions towards it being systemic.

Most of the ones I see online say stuff like "They just need more self control" while freaking out over not getting their Applebees

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

mod sassinator posted:

in hell world 2030 we'll have a new pandemic and people will just shrug and say "meh, covid kills the same number of people a year and we don't stop anything for it"

you leftists will do anything to avoid giving Joe credit for his accomplishments. Just like that, social security is solvent forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

I think people overly focusing on the Lib response of blaming the moral failings of anti-vaxxers, miss how conservatives are blaming the moral failings of the sick. When people say "my immune system can handle it," they're implying something is wrong and hosed up in all the people who do get sick and die.

yeah, a lot of GOP fans do get sick after saying they are one of God's chosen healthy ones, but that isn't going to change the narrative. Just like breakthrough infections and asymptomatic spread isn't going to change the Democrat storyline.

it's the same liberal moralism from both major parties and their supporters, just with different flavors. The republican response is more self destructive, but it's got the same ideological underpinning.