Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It can happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZHpeBubb_M

It doesn’t happen in every machine shop because it takes high temperatures to start and sustain an iron fire. You ever see steel cut with an torch? It’s preheated by a gas flame till it glows, then the reaction in the steel can be sustained with oxygen alone. But it takes that jet of pure oxygen. Close the valve, and the I-beam or whatever won’t burn like a candle in ordinary air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uPAjIOkLVA&t=920s

Other metals like magnesium are far more reactive. A pile of magnesium shavings will burn vigorously once ignited. Consequently, machinists practice better hygiene with magnesium.

Ok, thanks. So I gather it’s not usually a problem unless one or more of the conditions are true:
-Dispersed as a very fine powder, like a grain explosion
-Chips are exposed to extreme heat and lots of oxygen
-The chips are made of a “fun” metal like magnesium that is flammable (and exothermic, I think?) and relatively easy to trigger a reaction with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

The root verbs are pedicare and irrumare, so you want "pedicans irrumator".

e: that might not be right, but it's closer.

Yeah i like that more

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I just got a job through a recruiter, and so far the experience has been surprisingly pleasant and the guy has been very helpful. Today he called me up to wish me luck on my job, and explained that his company often takes the people out for dinner afterwards(?) He said it would be free since the recruiting agency covers it. Is this normal?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

The root verbs are pedicare and irrumare, so you want "pedicans irrumator".

e: that might not be right, but it's closer.

This is still wrong. "pedicans" is a gerund, which in English takes the "-ing" form, so you'd translate it as "sodomizing", but it specifically refers to the act of sodomizing rather than a quality of a person. The right way to do this is to rephrase the English as "facefucker who sodomizes" and then translate that, but I'm not sure how to do that because I haven't studied Latin in the last 25 years.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

I just got a job through a recruiter, and so far the experience has been surprisingly pleasant and the guy has been very helpful. Today he called me up to wish me luck on my job, and explained that his company often takes the people out for dinner afterwards(?) He said it would be free since the recruiting agency covers it. Is this normal?

I wouldn't call it normal, but stuff like that does happen. A recruiter offered to send me a congratulatory bottle of champagne earlier this year after they helped me out with a new position. If you don't feel comfortable with the offer, you can turn it down.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ultrafilter posted:

"pedicans" is a gerund
It's a present participle, not a gerund.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In TV and movies when cops pull people over they usually ask for “license and registration” but whenever I’ve been pulled over they ask for license and insurance, I guess since my registration has always been in a sticker on my windshield or on my license plate.

Is the way they do it in TV/movies just a holdover from when registration was a piece of paper, or is that how it is in California and/or New York and they just generalize?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

In TV and movies when cops pull people over they usually ask for “license and registration” but whenever I’ve been pulled over they ask for license and insurance, I guess since my registration has always been in a sticker on my windshield or on my license plate.

Is the way they do it in TV/movies just a holdover from when registration was a piece of paper, or is that how it is in California and/or New York and they just generalize?

I've only ever been pulled over in CA and it was 15 years ago, BUT I recall being asked for "license, registration and proof of insurance"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

They get a pretty serious payday for placing someone, and they're probably just wanting to make sure they make a good impression so the next time you're ready to jump ship, you'll reach out to them.

I don't know that it's "normal," but it's not anything to be worried about. Get yourself a free meal.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Boba Pearl posted:

That's awesome thank you!

One more question, I'm trying to use the SA search function but I can't find an answer.

What are the specific steps to make a long avatar? Buy an avatar, copy the link, buy a new avatar, put the old link in the title?

• Buy an avatar of the image you want on the BOTTOM of the long-tar.
  • Grab the URL for that image now that it is hosted on the forums.
  • Buy a new avatar with the image to be the top of the avatar and add the previous image in tags into the text field.
  • Add in redtext so people don't buy you a red text avatar later and negate the good work you just did.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How does one add a twitter or instagram feed to a discord server?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
How did the word "detail" come to be used to mean "clean a car'?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

dokmo posted:

How did the word "detail" come to be used to mean "clean a car'?

There is a clay bar that's used to finish cars and remove impurities and it's called detailing clay. Does the term pre-date this usage?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I've noticed that gmail's search seems to have gotten a lot more liberal in what it shows for a search - so like if I type in "haircut" (without the quotes) it'll show me emails with "haircut" in them but also "barber" etc. I can make it show me only the word I want by putting quotes around it, but is there a way to make it so it will do only exact searches without having to type the quote marks?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I need to get a bunch of empty beer bottles. How could I do that cheaply? Not for making my own beer, they need to have beer labels and everything. They're part of a set I'm designing.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

NotNut posted:

I need to get a bunch of empty beer bottles. How could I do that cheaply? Not for making my own beer, they need to have beer labels and everything. They're part of a set I'm designing.

Go dig through a recycling bin by a college campus. Do you really not know anyone who drinks bottled beer?

Alternatively just buy a case of bottled Coke from Costco. Unless it specifically has to be beer bottles. Then just buy the cheapest case of beer.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Why is it that I see specifically apple logos blurred out or blocked out on TV on laptops but not other brands and not on iPhones, which have the exact same logos?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Koivunen posted:

I sold my plasma there in college, over ten years ago. It’s a legit place. However you can’t really call it donation since they pay you, and you should look into the effects of taking plasma out of your blood on a regular basis before you decide to do it. I also have scars on my AC areas from all the pokes with those huge needles. In retrospect I wish I had never done it.

What effects have you experienced beyond the scarring?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

I've noticed that gmail's search seems to have gotten a lot more liberal in what it shows for a search - so like if I type in "haircut" (without the quotes) it'll show me emails with "haircut" in them but also "barber" etc. I can make it show me only the word I want by putting quotes around it, but is there a way to make it so it will do only exact searches without having to type the quote marks?

nope, I think it's because they're throwing tensor flow at everything now a days. Gmail and other google search bar things don't even fully respect the quotations anymore.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Douche4Sale posted:

Go dig through a recycling bin by a college campus. Do you really not know anyone who drinks bottled beer?

Alternatively just buy a case of bottled Coke from Costco. Unless it specifically has to be beer bottles. Then just buy the cheapest case of beer.

It does need to be beer bottles. And I know people who drink it but not in the quantity I'd need. And I don't want to buy anything preferably.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

NotNut posted:

It does need to be beer bottles. And I know people who drink it but not in the quantity I'd need. And I don't want to buy anything preferably.

I don't know how recycling works wherever you are, but maybe go to a bar an ask of they have a surplus? If there's no deposit system, chances are it's a pain in the rear end to get rid of them.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'd kind of assume that bars have ways to get some money back from a deposit? Or that there are centers that pay for large numbers of clean glass bottles in a way where they normally won't pay for recycling from "regular" people, who usually have dirty recycling.
I'd offer to pay if going to a bar. Say that you need a lot of bottles, offer some money to make up for the recycling return, and even if that isn't a thing in your state or city it's still a nice tip since it's going to take some amount of an employee's time to deal with the whole situation.
I think I'd offer a twenty for getting something like a hundred bottles. This is probably a lot more than the deposit, since I think that's usually something like 5 cents, but like I said it also covers the time the employee spends either bringing out some boxes of bottles or watching you while you go into the back to get them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Do any of you have yoga mats? Any brands you'd rec?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

tuyop posted:

Not who you asked, but I donated plasma for a good long while, and had to take a break from it because I started getting sick more and more often. It's a known long term possible effect of frequent donation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not who you asked, but I donated plasma for a good long while, and had to take a break from it because I started getting sick more and more often. It's a known long term possible effect of frequent donation.

Little bit freaky, I guess I didn’t notice. I’ve been donating every couple of weeks for a few years now.

Though the masking from COVID times has me healthier than ever so I’m not sure if I would notice anyway.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I've been dying my hair for a while and I've stuck to the same shade of red. I tried a different color yesterday (Dark Blue) and I really don't like it. This is just a coloring dye, no bleach. How long should I wait before dying it again? I'm hoping to just cover it up, so if I can avoid using bleach that would be preferred. I've been using Garnier if that makes any difference.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do any of you have yoga mats? Any brands you'd rec?

My only rec is to not get something too thick. A thick mat is surprisingly hard to balance on

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
How do “compilation” YouTube channels avoid getting enough copyright strikes to get them shut down? In one of those “people are awesome”-like videos today they had samples from Brittany Spears, the Offspring, Imagine Dragons, and a host of other popular/recognizable artists.

When other channels are losing monetization and/or are getting copyright strikes for less pervasive infringement, how do these long-standing channels survive?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

tuyop posted:

Nothing long term as far as I know, but when I was in college I was there as often as I could be, and I felt terrible. I tried to stay hydrated but there were several times where I almost passed out while hooked up to the machine. There was one time where I gave plasma, and the next morning I woke up, got out of bed, and promptly passed out and face planted on the floor. That’s the only time in my life I’ve actually passed out. I also got pneumonia twice and almost required hospitalization one time, and I was never sick like that before or after. I didn’t party in college, I tried to take care of myself as much as possible, but I felt tired and ill a lot and I’m sure it was tied to depleting my body of a blood component regularly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m trying to find an art history documentary series I watched in middle school in like, the late 90s/early 2000s. The presenter was British, it was probably made in the 70s/80s/maybe 90s, mostly focused on Western European art. It’s not Kenneth Clarke’s ‘Civilisation’ or Berger’s ‘way of seeing’. The presenter was much younger and more vibrant/animated than Clarke and had a really great way of saying ‘the re-NAY-ssance.’ Not Simon Schama either. My google-fu is really failing me here.

E: found it, it's still good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgWno9NMGks&t=81s

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 7, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ok, thanks. So I gather it’s not usually a problem unless one or more of the conditions are true:
-Dispersed as a very fine powder, like a grain explosion
-Chips are exposed to extreme heat and lots of oxygen
-The chips are made of a “fun” metal like magnesium that is flammable (and exothermic, I think?) and relatively easy to trigger a reaction with.

That's about my understanding. The sparks when someone is angle grinding something are burning metal (eg steel), and happens because the particles are very, very fine. I think turnings from machining are not fine enough.

Check out this, an actual Chemistry PhD making thermite, testing out different sources of iron oxide. Note that the iron oxide and aluminium is in fine powder form. Also that to get the reaction started, he uses magnesium wrapped around sparklers - obviously much more reactive than trying to light iron with a blowtorch.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RiF73l4PjyY

He also directly addresses the particle size thing, and notes that it just won't work if the particles are too big, or that they need to be started by smaller particles.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 6, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Koivunen posted:

Nothing long term as far as I know, but when I was in college I was there as often as I could be, and I felt terrible. I tried to stay hydrated but there were several times where I almost passed out while hooked up to the machine. There was one time where I gave plasma, and the next morning I woke up, got out of bed, and promptly passed out and face planted on the floor. That’s the only time in my life I’ve actually passed out. I also got pneumonia twice and almost required hospitalization one time, and I was never sick like that before or after. I didn’t party in college, I tried to take care of myself as much as possible, but I felt tired and ill a lot and I’m sure it was tied to depleting my body of a blood component regularly.

Weird. I used to donate regularly in my 20s, I'd guess I've sold plasma easily 200ish times, and never had any reaction like that. In fact I never had any side effects, the worst part was how long it takes (especially if not super hydrated) and the shivers when they pump the saline in you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Why do dozens and dozens of people pour into the ring immediately at the end of a boxing match? Do they really need upwards of 50 people in there?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

How do “compilation” YouTube channels avoid getting enough copyright strikes to get them shut down? In one of those “people are awesome”-like videos today they had samples from Brittany Spears, the Offspring, Imagine Dragons, and a host of other popular/recognizable artists.

When other channels are losing monetization and/or are getting copyright strikes for less pervasive infringement, how do these long-standing channels survive?

When a DMCA strike is filed against a video usually the rights holder can either block the video or keep the video up and take the ad revenue instead.

It's my understanding that if the rights holder takes the ad revenue it's not considered a strike against the account so they can keep uploading videos all they want but they won't get any ad revenue from it. If the compilation video you're watching has ads in it, the revenue from those goes to the music rights holders, not the uploader.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 6, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Maybe I should post this in the scam thread but: I'm looking to buy some electronics and I have found the thing I want for Amazon for $150 less than it is listed for literally everywhere else. I would write this off as an obvious fake but it's sold by actual Amazon rather than a third party. I would love to save $150 but would also love to get the actual authentic version of the thing I'm buying. Is there any more research I can do to see if I'd be buying a fake?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
You can still buy fakes from Amazon, they put all products fulfilled by them into the same box no matter if the headphones came from Sony or Son's good electronics.

https://www.redpoints.com/blog/amazon-commingled-inventory-management/

I guess you just really have to know what legit ones look like.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I ended up calling another authorized dealer and they just matched the Amazon price. Best of both worlds!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I ended up calling another authorized dealer and they just matched the Amazon price. Best of both worlds!

This is the best route, I can usually have Best Buy or Target price match Amazon stuff with no issue and I can get the item instantly from the store.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there an app or plugin that will delete or make typos in code?

I'm learning python and while doing exercises is fine, I'm learning the most when I have to find and fix errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The more code you write, the more errors you'll get to hunt down.