Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1. How the hell do you know what her priorities are?

2. Are you just going through somebody's personal/business financials like that?

3. gently caress

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know, I will kidnap the king's daughter-in-law!

When that idiot dies, he will find himself in a long line of People Who Crossed Prince Val.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

He really deserves a syndication deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjkt4UgcTmg&t=104s

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

If you live there, dusting the living room isn't "helping", you mullet. It's your chore as much as hers.

Edit: she's going to marry one of those insufferable guys who refer to looking after their own kids as "babysitting".

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 4, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Medenmath posted:

Nice. It's the only way I could think of to cheat at a foot race. By Encyclopedia Brown rules I believe you now owe me 25¢.

Also I love Sally's running pose in the first panel.

Crabgrass is a good strip.

I also love this, it's really growing on me.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 02, 1947)

The best part of this strip is that I honestly couldn't tell you which of Val, Katwin, or Aleta is going to kill this guy

They all have motive and skill

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Yeeeesssss. :neckbeard:

The arc that starts with Ulfrun's abduction of Aleta is one of the best in Foster's entire run.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Medenmath posted:

Nice. It's the only way I could think of to cheat at a foot race. By Encyclopedia Brown rules I believe you now owe me 25¢.

Also I love Sally's running pose in the first panel.

You're probably right, but I think we still have the "J'accuse!" and the "J'explain!" strip to go, don't we?

If it is twin sisters, feels like it's been presented poorly for the strip
. Maybe would be better to present her as having a twin sister who's always waiting for her at the finish line, and the reveal be that they're actually triplets.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Next Chapter: Lost Worlds

Beartato?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

For what it's worth, I distinctly remember "twins switching out in a race" as being the answer in one of the Encyclopedia Brown books, though in that case it was a pie-eating-then-a-footrace competition, which honestly sounds like a terrible idea. "Here let's make a bunch of kids gorge themselves on an entire pie each, and then go running."

In that case, the cheaters were exposed by the fact that the contest was using blueberry pie and the winner at the finish line did not have a mouth stained blue.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It seems like you'd have to be improbably far ahead for a switcheroo like that to have any chance of working. And even cross country races for kids usually have spotters placed throughout to insure no one is engaged in a less convoluted form of cheating.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Or Domokun

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeeeesssss. :neckbeard:

The arc that starts with Ulfrun's abduction of Aleta is one of the best in Foster's entire run.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to posting this storyline.

maltesh posted:

You're probably right, but I think we still have the "J'accuse!" and the "J'explain!" strip to go, don't we?

If it is twin sisters, feels like it's been presented poorly for the strip
. Maybe would be better to present her as having a twin sister who's always waiting for her at the finish line, and the reveal be that they're actually triplets.

Some Guy TT posted:

It seems like you'd have to be improbably far ahead for a switcheroo like that to have any chance of working. And even cross country races for kids usually have spotters placed throughout to insure no one is engaged in a less convoluted form of cheating.

I think the idea is the first sister will fall behind so the other runners won't be able to see her, and they'll switch then so the second can sprint back to first place to win. I do like the triplets idea - if there's no extra twist then so far the reveal relies on Encyclopedia stumbling on the other girl rather than figuring anything out.

As for spotters, I've run in a few rural 10ks where there were few enough people on the course that it would have been easy to do something unseen, and there are often some kids competing. A kids-only event like this is a little different from that though.

RoboRodent posted:

For what it's worth, I distinctly remember "twins switching out in a race" as being the answer in one of the Encyclopedia Brown books, though in that case it was a pie-eating-then-a-footrace competition, which honestly sounds like a terrible idea. "Here let's make a bunch of kids gorge themselves on an entire pie each, and then go running."

In that case, the cheaters were exposed by the fact that the contest was using blueberry pie and the winner at the finish line did not have a mouth stained blue.

The recent Pixar movie Luca has a triathlon like this in it, with an eating event in the middle. I can't imagine actually competing in something like that, it sounds horrible.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I may have said this before and don't remember, but I'm pretty sure that the "you have to move out at 18!" thing is mostly an American thing. In a lot of Europe, adults live with their parents long after they're 18, and I think in a lot of cases are expected to do this because it's seen as being a good son/daughter. Not that I would expect Ed to know or care, of course.

It's all a scam by the housing markets, credit cards, car manufacturers, etc. to get their hooks into people at a younger age.
American Rugged Individualism is a poison that splits the proles against one another.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MariusLecter posted:

It's all a scam by the housing markets, credit cards, car manufacturers, etc. to get their hooks into people at a younger age.
American Rugged Individualism is a poison that splits the proles against one another.

Capitalism is a giant MLM scam.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Scratch is the only good character in modern Overboard because he's the only character that acts like he's in the far superior 90s version.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Oh, I Guess The Revolution's Over

Peanuts (September 7, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 6, 1938)

Out Our Way (April 22-24, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (January 7-9, 1918)

Dok's "Okay, Now You're Just Dragging This poo poo Out" Duck (October 4, 1913)

Little Lefty indulges in some cheeky humor. (April 15 and 17, 1935)

And yeah, once again we're missing a page...

Which is a shame, because hey look, it's Pioneer Patsy to the rescue!

(And once again, Blondie is a victim of putting this stuff to bed before I put myself to bed.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "238 - Jucika Dresses The Shop's Window"

"239 - Jucika Goes In Fashion"

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: It's just like Fury Road! Except much, much slower, or Palmer, being a woman of culture, knows the appropriate dress for the opera, or Stand and deposit!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

riderchop posted:

:shrug:

it's just what's being served on gocomics

initially, i thought it was a dark heathcliff week but it's uploaded like this on Creators Syndicate's website and i can see about replacing them if the thread wants

i haven't done anything about it bc again, i thought it was a theme week, and also :effort:

Oh no, I don't mind. It's just that I noticed it and thought it was weird.

Also, adding my voice to the "adults living with parents" thing: over here (Italy) it's completely normal for adults to live with their parents until they get married, which coincides with moving into a home you share with your partner. Lately it's becoming more common for people to live together even before marriage (and it's becoming more common to not get married at all), but someone well into their thirties still living in their parents' home doesn't raise any eyebrows at all.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: rabbit's revenge (June 9-15, 2003)

Thus begins a storyline which has aged terribly. Like, there's quite a bit of YIKES in this, looking at it eighteen years after the fact.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

In the book it was established that Bernhard had read his uncle Torsten's notes about the ring and toyed with the idea of finding and using it, even though he didn't admit to himself that he believed in its power. Here he is mostly rambling deliriously.

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

And that's the end of the first year of Cruel Little Stories. It continued for two more years, but the internet archive ends here. I let this be the last one because it's such a perfect specimen.

The author (under pseudonym) is Merja Heikkinen, who AFAIK hasn't done other comics outside similar album Väylä in 2011. Meanwhile the artist (and her husband) Timo Mäkelä is very prolific cartoonist and has done it all from gag comics to philosophical stuff to political cartoons to historical edutainment. Unfortunately I don't find any of his other work particularly interesting, so I'm not going to post those.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 5, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

Thus begins a storyline which has aged terribly. Like, there's quite a bit of YIKES in this, looking at it eighteen years after the fact.
HERE WE GO :getin: :unsmigghh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kennel posted:

Cruel Little Stories

And that's the end of the first year of Cruel Little Stories. It continued for two more years, but the internet archive ends here. I let this be the last one because it's such a perfect specimen.

The author (under pseudonym) is Merja Heikkinen, who AFAIK hasn't done other comics outside similar album Väylä in 2011. Meanwhile the author (and her husband) Timo Mäkelä is very prolific cartoonist and has done it all from gag comics to philosophical stuff to political cartoons to historical edutainment. Unfortunately I don't find any of his other work particularly interesting, so I'm not going to post those.

Thank you for posting these, I really liked them! Well, "liked" them, they were a constant parade of Big Oofs and outright lovely people, but y'know how it is.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mikl posted:

Thank you for posting these, I really liked them! Well, "liked" them, they were a constant parade of Big Oofs and outright lovely people, but y'know how it is.

At least they were believably OOF and lovely, not like some of the crap that gets brought up in some drama comics.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mikl posted:

"Lady MacBeth's Cleaners" and "Bill Bennett's Video Poker" both gave me a Sensible Chuckle.

I enjoy Kevin & Kell.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Kennel posted:

The author (under pseudonym) is Merja Heikkinen, who AFAIK hasn't done other comics outside similar album Väylä in 2011. Meanwhile the artist (and her husband) Timo Mäkelä is very prolific cartoonist and has done it all from gag comics to philosophical stuff to political cartoons to historical edutainment. Unfortunately I don't find any of his other work particularly interesting, so I'm not going to post those.

Thanks for these! There were some really good & relatable ones in there, ones that made me kinda feel "oh noooo, don't do that" inside. This last one is very much that. It seems that Merja really resonated with kids facing awful stuff because their parents think they know better (or just don't think at all).

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mikl posted:

Also, adding my voice to the "adults living with parents" thing: over here (Italy) it's completely normal for adults to live with their parents until they get married, which coincides with moving into a home you share with your partner. Lately it's becoming more common for people to live together even before marriage (and it's becoming more common to not get married at all), but someone well into their thirties still living in their parents' home doesn't raise any eyebrows at all.

Continuing "adult children at home" chat - it's also important to remember that's Ed's lovely attitude is ahistorical for the United States as well. Living in the family home until marriage was the norm here in the US until after WWII, and in fact continued to be the norm for most Americans well into the 60s and 70s, when (you guessed it) the Baby Boomers started to reach adulthood. And in their haste to go to college and get out of the homes of their Depression and war traumatized parents, a whole new social expectation was born.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Cruel Little Stories

Thank you for translating and posting this! It was dark but always interesting and amusing.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
It's in the public domain, you oik.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/4/01

Brenda Starr 3/9/47

Smokey Stover 3/28/01

Bonus ad! Don't let drabness spoil your chances!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I presume the thing about kids moving out as soon as they graduate from high school is bundled up with American culture's obsession with individuality, which unfortunately seems to manifest more and more often as a refusal to care even slightly about other people.

Prince Valiant

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Interesting colouring there. I quite like it, it lends itself to the hallucinatory tone.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

And here we have Connie’s new forever-hairstyle! Probably easier to draw consistently.

Sylvia

100 Demons: Lost Worlds

This is probably my favorite story of the bunch, especially the panel of Lynda waiting on the sidewalk for everyone to come join the game. And of course everything with Chuckie. As an aside, did anyone else use the phrase “it’s your ups” instead of “it’s your turn”? I distinctly remember using it (although I’d forgotten until I saw it in this story, which is fitting), and iirc it was only for physical games, kinda like “batter up.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Tell me to infiltrate NAPA and I"m off to the auto parts store.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot