Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alan Wake has an insanely repitious but fun core bang bang loop but the story is just horrendously told and impressively Alan Wake is by far the worst part of Control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

I just remembered that Morpheus died in the Matrix Online (or maybe some other game?) and all of it was considered canon, so maybe that's why he's not back? Then again, Trinity & Neo died so :psyduck:

If that's true about Niobe being back but as a younger version I think I understand why Fishburne is not returning. If Niobe is younger, maybe Morpheus is as well?

I think everything Matrix branded was canon if it came out around then. I had completely forgotten this, but there was a big multimedia tie-in where the games were 100% canonical. It was really a pretty cool idea and ahead of its time. Then the third movie came out and sucked, so everyone quit giving a poo poo.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The worst part of control is the shooting combined with obnoxious enemy design.

Hell, I’ll say everything involving combat is the worst part of control. The general movement feels pretty good though.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Alan Wake’s intentionally overwrought story is still fun and much better than Control, an incredibly overrated and boring game.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Blue Raider posted:

I think everything Matrix branded was canon if it came out around then. I had completely forgotten this, but there was a big multimedia tie-in where the games were 100% canonical. It was really a pretty cool idea and ahead of its time.

Enter the Matrix directly tied into Animatrix. Specifically "Final Flight of the Osiris," which I guess my brain considered more important to remember than, like, my dead grandmother's voice

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Blue Raider posted:

The worst part of control is the shooting combined with obnoxious enemy design.

Hell, I’ll say everything involving combat is the worst part of control. The general movement feels pretty good though.

Kind of a problem when this is all in service of combat encounters

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ultrachrist posted:

Alan Wake’s intentionally overwrought story is still fun and much better than Control, an incredibly overrated and boring game.

:yeah: I really liked the Alan Wake, loved the Quantum Break, but bounced hard from Control.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Control is loving extraordinary if you play it through Assist Mode and make combat a non-factor.

Frustrating as the regular combat in that game can be, there are few things in gaming more satisfying than pulling a chunk of concrete out of the ground and whipping it full speed right at some fuckwit's head. Or doing the same with a mail canister, so you get that real nice PING

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alan Wake is soooo boring to play nowadays, I can’t imagine it’s gonna be received well if it’s just a straight port with slightly better graphics.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Alan Wake = Unbreakable
Control = Split
Next Remedy Game = Glass

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
whats quantum break though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BoosterDuck posted:

whats quantum break though

The Happening

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

American McGay posted:

Alan Wake = Unbreakable
Control = Split
Next Remedy Game = Glass

So I should play Alan Wake and stop there.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

So I should play Alan Wake and stop there.

No you should play all three but lower your expectations about the finale.

Or not, because who cares.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

Alan Wake = Unbreakable
Control = Split
Next Remedy Game = Glass

Split was really good

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
That scene in Glass where they break out of the hospital was pretty cool.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

adhuin posted:

In-game band Old Gods of Asgard is good stuff:
(Played by poets of the fall)

They are also on Spotify so you can listen to all their songs together. Aside from Poet and the Muse, I love how different the style of songs are from the usual Poets of the Fall fare.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Split was really good

the only film in my life where I walked out of the cinema because of how bad it was

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Real hurthling! posted:

Split was really good

Split was really good at further stigmatizing people who suffer from dissociative identity disorder and vilifying mental health issues.

It loving honks.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

No remaster pc version? Boo

I don't know if you're making a joke, but it seems like Alan Wake Remaster is at least coming to the Epic Game Store.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zerot posted:

I don't know if you're making a joke, but it seems like Alan Wake Remaster is at least coming to the Epic Game Store.

Yeah, I like to think Epic would appreciate more than just new games from Remedy.
https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1243182644785033216

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

For all those Remedy games’ flaws, the worst is using that terrible butt rock metal band over and over. That band sucks loving rear end, everybody thought the best part of Control was having to listen to 5 minutes of lovely hair metal revivalism.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

For all those Remedy games’ flaws, the worst is using that terrible butt rock metal band over and over. That band sucks loving rear end, everybody thought the best part of Control was having to listen to 5 minutes of lovely hair metal revivalism.

No, that was the second best part. The best part was a music video.

Control rules.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blue Raider posted:

No.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

very hard disagree with this one

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Blue Raider posted:

This is the worst post in this thread.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I forget who recommended this controller but I used it to replace the cheap gamestop branded one as my dedicated pc gamepad and it fuckin' owns, so thanks for the recommendation I guess. Bonus points for having a similar texture to a steering wheel to enhance my Forza experience. Highly recommend, they're only under 60 bucks because there's a newer version that's like 120 so get em while they last I guess if you need a nice new controller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQXQMR9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

So yeah big ups to the kind soul who shared this first.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

A page or two back but someone had asked what 4k discs are worth it - typically what I do is search (movie name) 4k blu ray comparison on youtube and there are a couple channels on there that do comparisons that will help you decide if its worth going for the 4k first or upgrading a blu ray you already had to 4k. It's been really helpful to me. Keep in mind you need to watch them on a 4k capable screen to really see the full comparison but many of them are obvious huge upgrades even watching them on a 1080p screen.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR0lKeed24

This is a good one for showing what a huge upgrade 4k can be over 1080p blu ray

It's definitely worth it in that case but you can tell for that film (and in the case of a few other Blu-rays) it's mostly because they're just working from a new master while the one used for the BR from 2008 was flawed. Differences aren't always quite as dramatic as they are in the video you linked (but I think that's what you were inferring in your post anyway). Also for the movies where this is the case, there are pirate groups online that release a new "remastered" 1080p SDR render from the 4K, if the new master isn't also used for a traditional BR release.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Blue Raider posted:

siri show me the most disagreeable thing

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Alan Wake was a gorgeous game on release and it still looks decent on PC. I loved the story, atmosphere, and world. A little bit of Stephen King, Twin Peaks, and Twilight Zone. The weak point is the combat. You should have just been able to just shoot everything. I get what they were attempting with the flashlight burn mechanic and it fits thematically, but it was very tedious and clunky. The rest of the package was so superb I suffered through it though.

I've been hoping for a sequel for years. Hopefully the re-release is more than a graphical upgrade.

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, I like to think Epic would appreciate more than just new games from Remedy.
https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1243182644785033216
"It's not a lake. It's an ocean"

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 6, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The writing in Alan Wake is just miserable and unless this new release has a speed run mode that just turns all of that garbage off and chucks the collectibles into the void Im not buying it.

Blue Raider posted:

Im with you, although I don't know if I'd describe the music as hair metal. The worst part of non DLC control is the Ashtray Maze when that music kicks up because it completely deflated what otherwise would have been pretty cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

The writing in Alan Wake is just miserable and unless this new release has a speed run mode that just turns all of that garbage off and chucks the collectibles into the void Im not buying it.

Yeah the writing is atrocious

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I haven't played it since it's release but was the writing intentionally cheesy horror writing or just bad even when trying to do that?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I haven't played it since it's release but was the writing intentionally cheesy horror writing or just bad even when trying to do that?

the latter. Alan is one of the most annoying characters ever

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
I remember enjoying Alan Wake, not sure if it would hold up though. Loved Control but bounced super hard of Quantum Break.

I am not sure who is waiting to buy an Alan Wake remaster though, a full remake would maybe get some hype, but if it was a full remake they would have been marketing it for longer so close to the rumored release date.

Maybe day 1 on both gamepass and PS+ with an announcement for Alan Wake 2 next year or something? Unless they simply think they can milk some of that Control hype with a remaster of one of their earlier games?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BonoMan posted:

It is someone who thinks they are better than the intentionally cheesy horror they are writing who really, really isn't. It feels like the authors have not read a single novel, much less an airport horror novel.

It also ignores its own ending mcguffin and so does Control, where, funnily enough, it brings up the character causing the problem as well so like, they brought this problem to more games

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

DaitoX posted:

I am not sure who is waiting to buy an Alan Wake remaster though

I have no idea either, but I think some of Alan Wake’s popularity (or infamy) comes from when it was new and before launch. Iirc, it was teased as a really big 360 game early on and was in development for so long it looked like vaporware. So it was a big deal when it came out just because it was seeing the light of day, and I think that initial hype inertia helped it a lot at the time and still contributes to its popularity in hindsight somehow. Of course it came out and was a simple 3rd person adventure game with nothing novel except live action tv shows.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it was supposed to be an open-world Windows Vista launch title :eyepop:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

DaitoX posted:

I remember enjoying Alan Wake, not sure if it would hold up though. Loved Control but bounced super hard of Quantum Break.

Yeah, I thought Alan Wake was fine back in 2010 when I played it. There wasn't much else like it out at the time which was nice. Don't think I'd ever bother playing a remaster though (gently caress collecting those thermoses and manuscript pages again :suicide: ).

Really enjoyed Control too. Quantum Break wasn't good but its saving grace was being both a short completion aswell as being 'free' on Game Pass.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

adhuin posted:

:yeah: I really liked the Alan Wake, loved the Quantum Break, but bounced hard from Control.

Did Quantum Break end up being as good as the pre-release gameplay trailers or did it get downgraded at all? I know there's the live-action stuff which puts me off the game but the actual gameplay looked ridiculously fun and a real spectacle. I remember some E3 demo with a bridge that was stuck in time with various trucks etc. moving back and forth during combat and the effects when fighting enemies were insane :stare:

I think I watched a video review when it launched however and it didn't seem to be as crazy and impressive? Could be remembering wrong, though. I've been tempted since I think it's pretty cheap to buy now but the big draw for me is purely the spectacle of the fights and how wild it looks with all those broken glass effects. The whole idea seems ripe for exploring so many avenues in a combat environment but I have a feeling they probably spent more time on the live action stuff.