Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

brand engager posted:

Figured out why the dx7 roasted that exp pedal, they don't use the normal pinout.
Normal:
Sleeve - ground
Ring - whatever reference voltage
Tip - return path from wiper, current limited

DX7:
Sleeve - ground
Ring - return path from wiper, limited to 1.5mA
Tip - 15 volts, limited at 400 - 500 mA

Using something with the normal pinout will run about 6 watts through the potentiometer when the pedal is in the heel position.

Where did you find those specs? I'm not surprised that the ring and tip are switched (see also: sustain pedal) but I've also used a regular expression pedal with no problems in the past (and mine was an ancient early Mk1 DX7). It's possible that the M-Audio pedal I had just didn't care about seeing that much current, and my very limited electrical knowledge would make me think that switching polarity on a potentiometer doesn't really matter.

But 15V still sounds like something is wrong with yours IMO. If those values are correct, why would the portamento expression input have a different voltage range?

Edit: ok, I looked at the circuit diagram here: https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/d.j.benson/pages/dx7/manuals/dx7-circuit.pdf
I think you're right! The portamento and sustain are on the same 5V circuit for some reason and the volume/expression are running 15V :wtf:
FWIW, this is the M-Audio pedal that worked for me- https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalExp--m-audio-ex-p-expression-pedal

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

you should’ve got it for your phone/tablet

the Switch version is suuuuper cut back and limited compared to iOS/Android

Also Switch software follows a regular pattern of sales. You never want to buy Switch stuff full price. The correct time to buy KORG Gadget is November :eng101:

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/korg-gadget-for-nintendo

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i have a friend who managed to write and produce a song entirely on korg gadget for switch so it’s definitely capable

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone here use teh elektron stuff with any regularity?

I've been watching Cuckoo's videos trying to figure out which two would be the best to use together.

I want to get a Digitakt first but I'm not sure what would be best to pair with it? I was thinking that the Analog would go really nicely with it but I guess you really can't go wrong when you're just having fun making music :)

Is the Octatrack worth the extra $$$ over the Digitakt?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Digitakt and Digitone have similar form factors and the menus are similar so if you are pairing stuff up it will be a good back and forth. I have an Analog 4 mk1 and going back and forth from the Digitone to it sometimes turns you around becaues the menus are kind of different and quality of the screen etc.

I was considering a drum machine and was looking at the new LXR-02. Most other similar price range machines don't seem to do it for me like the Roland ones. Any other drum machines currently out that people like? I know there is the Digitakt but I am not a fan of sampling and coming from a Machinedrum I like a drum machine with more synthesis control.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

For my first bit of hardware I bought a digitakt with my stimmy $ last year. I felt like it had a bit of a learning curve- it wasn't as "immediate" as other gear ive used, and it took me a good amount of practice and reading to get used to it. The manual doesn't include all the key combinations and theres all sorts of weird tricks and workarounds I've found for things by looking online. I do really like it now though and can work pretty quickly, but I still feel like I've scratched the surface of it.

My goal with it was record everything into ableton and work from there, and its been great for that. Having each of the 8 tracks come in on a seperate channels, along with the master L/R and the 2 inputs, all over USB, is real nice. The sampler is real easy to use too and ive sampled records, the TV, my phone, etc into it for use.

The main thing I dont like is the lack of a song mode. You can chain patterns but the chains aren't saved. You could sort of hack it with extensive use of conditional triggers, resampling, etc, but its not very straightforward. An MPC, polyend tracker, or (i believe) the octotrack all have song modes.

For something to pair it with you don't necessarily have to stay in the elektron system. The digitakt has 8 midi tracks it can send, so you can use the sequencer and LFO of the digitakt to control other hardware. That being said, I havent used any of the other elektron stuff but ive heard its all good.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Said gently caress it and bought the only seaboard block I was able to still find available. I'll probably play around with it for a little bit, then sell it for OP-1 money.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

a loathsome bird posted:

Where did you find those specs? I'm not surprised that the ring and tip are switched (see also: sustain pedal) but I've also used a regular expression pedal with no problems in the past (and mine was an ancient early Mk1 DX7). It's possible that the M-Audio pedal I had just didn't care about seeing that much current, and my very limited electrical knowledge would make me think that switching polarity on a potentiometer doesn't really matter.

But 15V still sounds like something is wrong with yours IMO. If those values are correct, why would the portamento expression input have a different voltage range?

Edit: ok, I looked at the circuit diagram here: https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/d.j.benson/pages/dx7/manuals/dx7-circuit.pdf
I think you're right! The portamento and sustain are on the same 5V circuit for some reason and the volume/expression are running 15V :wtf:
FWIW, this is the M-Audio pedal that worked for me- https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalExp--m-audio-ex-p-expression-pedal

I got those current limits using a multimeter. I already picked up a dunlop volume/expression pedal to replace it, so that modified ev-30 is going to be my dedicated dx7 pedal.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

Roli's other big legacy is Juce, and I hope that gets open-sourced or something. It feels like half of new audio apps are using it under the hood.

quote:

Juce resulted from a split-out of the underlying C++ code that was developed by Julian Storer to create Tracktion's (now Waveform) DAW graphic and audio capabilities. It was first released to the public in 2004. It is covered by a dual GPL/commercial license.

JUCE and Raw Material Software were acquired in November 2014 by London-based hardware manufacturer ROLI for an undisclosed amount.[2]
dual, that's g-

quote:

In April 2020 it was announced that JUCE had been sold by ROLI to the audio technology company PACE.
gently caress

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Struggling to get my head around how to effectively use a 24 port patch bay to connect some synths/drum machines to an multi-port audio interface, a mixer, some effect boxes and if possible a basic recorder. Want to make the jump from noodling around with a single device to having something with some structure and start using a DAW, any recommendations/pointers would be great.

Watched a lot of youtube videos but find they either focus on normalised/half normalised/not normalised, connecting an instrument to a single device then skip over everything else or jump straight into a large studio setup with multiple patch bays. Lots of talk about planning stuff out but not finding much showing that planning.

I've filled a 10u rack with some cheap gear I've picked up over the years and have a guitar plus some cheap synths/drum machines I'd like to connect together as flexibly as possible. I also have a Yamaha MG10XU, a set of powered monitors and a Zoom R8.

* 1U VU meter
* Behringer UMC1820 Interface
* 24 port Patch bay
* 1U 2 channel compressor
* 1U Reverb
* 2U EQ
* 3U Oscilloscope (unneccesary)

My first thought was to go something like instruments -> interface inputs -> interface outputs -> mixer with remaining ports for everything else something like.

First set of 8 patch bays - Instrument inputs to audio interface inputs.
Second set of 8 patch bays - audio interface outputs to mixer inputs.
Third set of 8 patch bays - compressor/reverb/eq/vu meter.

This seems like it might work but doesn't leave much room for expansion and leaves out the main outs and some others things. Dropping to 6/6/6/6 sounds like an improvement but can't help think I'm missing a better approach.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i just have a single 48 patch bay most channels half normalled. snake out to mixer, inserts out in a thru configuration, stuff like that

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

This came up in my YouTube recommends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCfcTR7eBtA

I bought an Ensoniq Fizmo from Musician's Friend when they were on blowout in 1999/2000 for $500. I, like many other Fizmo buyers at that time, thought it was a virtual analog that was worth its original list price of $1200, and that it was a steal. The fact that it was a 61-key keyboard, with knobs and stuff, and the read out of the specs (48-note polyphony, 4 sounds with two oscillators per sound simultaneously) made it sound like a great deal.

The Fizmo does three things really well - underwater bubbling sounds, tinkly bells sounds, and aliasing noise.

At that time, my setup was an ASR-10 and the Fizmo, until about 2003 when I got a Korg MS2000R, and then got into the Logic ecosystem after that. I was mainly using the Fizmo as a MIDI controller at that point.

I replaced the allegedly faulty voltage regulator myself around 2005, and then sold it on eBay in 2008 for $800 to go towards an Access Virus TI.

A few years ago, I saw Fizmos were going for $1600 on Reverb, and now I guess they're going for ~$2400. One in Japan sold for over $4000, but that one claims that the PSU was entirely rebuilt in addition to some other parts being serviced/replaced.

Meanwhile, the Virus TI plug-in is no longer compatible with current versions of Mac OS X, and their value on Reverb seems to have fallen to about $1200.

Synthesizers - do never buy.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I bought an Ensoniq Fizmo from Musician's Friend when they were on blowout in 1999/2000 for $500. I, like many other Fizmo buyers at that time, thought it was a virtual analog that was worth its original list price of $1200, and that it was a steal. The fact that it was a 61-key keyboard, with knobs and stuff, and the read out of the specs (48-note polyphony, 4 sounds with two oscillators per sound simultaneously) made it sound like a great deal.

The Fizmo does three things really well - underwater bubbling sounds, tinkly bells sounds, and aliasing noise.

At that time, my setup was an ASR-10 and the Fizmo, until about 2003 when I got a Korg MS2000R, and then got into the Logic ecosystem after that. I was mainly using the Fizmo as a MIDI controller at that point.

I replaced the allegedly faulty voltage regulator myself around 2005, and then sold it on eBay in 2008 for $800 to go towards an Access Virus TI.

A few years ago, I saw Fizmos were going for $1600 on Reverb, and now I guess they're going for ~$2400. One in Japan sold for over $4000, but that one claims that the PSU was entirely rebuilt in addition to some other parts being serviced/replaced.

Meanwhile, the Virus TI plug-in is no longer compatible with current versions of Mac OS X, and their value on Reverb seems to have fallen to about $1200.

LOL sorry, I've been there. More with cars than synths though.

Anybody have a good audio to midi convertor? That Sonuus thing any good?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
for those who have been craving a modern mmt-8:

https://www.gearnews.com/superbooth-2021-retrokits-to-reveal-the-rk-008/

isn't this thing cute as a button

really wonder what price point they can hit with this

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

i just have a single 48 patch bay most channels half normalled. snake out to mixer, inserts out in a thru configuration, stuff like that

Thanks, that makes some sense.

Just figured out that the line outs on the UMC1820 don't work the way I thought, in that they don't mirror the inputs unless routing within the DAW is configured that way.

I need to have a think on what I'm trying to achieve, most of the fun so far has been doing something without a computer but seems my plans to setup something that works standalone or integrates with a DAW is more complex than I expected.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

had it been craigslist and not ebay I would say I probably have your fizmo. I have since changed the gross rubberized knobs and replaced an encoder. the future is now, as it was then, underwater bubbling sounds and robot speech.

the really infuriating thing about the fizmo is that there are two envelope settings and something else I can't remember that you need a working copy of sounddiver to access. had the UI crew splurged for, like, one or two more encoders and and another momentary switch, the whole thing would be editable via the front panel

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

had it been craigslist and not ebay I would say I probably have your fizmo. I have since changed the gross rubberized knobs and replaced an encoder. the future is now, as it was then, underwater bubbling sounds and robot speech.

the really infuriating thing about the fizmo is that there are two envelope settings and something else I can't remember that you need a working copy of sounddiver to access. had the UI crew splurged for, like, one or two more encoders and and another momentary switch, the whole thing would be editable via the front panel

You couldn’t edit the effects without Sounddiver, all effects are basically presets without it. I had the Fizmo-only version of Sounddiver (versus the full version of what billed itself as a “universal synth librarian”), and it was a pain in the rear end to use, and could easily make patches into a distorted mess. The video mentions a new editor called Fauxmo, but editing patches via a midi cable (as opposed to USB) is a slow, glitchy pain in the rear end just in general.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Laserjet 4P posted:

for those who have been craving a modern mmt-8:

looks like it's missing a square root button

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
So was anyone else like me and finally went out and got a wavestate after the 2.0 FW & Editor/Librarian + Sample Builder SW dropped the other day?

My gear lust goals are so laughable these days that I sorta-not really-kinda feel like it was some sort of calisthenic exercise of will that I didn't talk myself into one a year ago during launch, but instead waited if and until they actually added the functionality I felt were minimal table stakes features before I bought in.

Also, please sned halp and convince me to stop buying more reverb & delay pedals.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 7, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

minidracula posted:

So was anyone else like me and finally went out and got a wavestate after the 2.0 FW & Editor/Librarian + Sample Builder SW dropped the other day?

My gear lust goals are so laughable these days that I sorta-not really-kinda feel like it was some sort of calisthenic exercise of will that I didn't talk myself into one a year ago during launch, but instead waited if and until they actually added the functionality I felt were minimal table stakes features before I bought in.

Also, please sned halp and convince me to stop buying more reverb & delay pedals.

I really want a wavestate but I think I want the big one that’s coming out. Idk.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

minidracula posted:

Just get a beebo or zoia and you'll have a great reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, drum.machine, and synth, all in one pedal

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Ok Comboomer posted:

I really want a wavestate but I think I want the big one that’s coming out. Idk.
Yeah, I saw that teased. It was easy for me to say no to that for now because 1.) it's not out yet (and I suppose there's some risk it might never come out, if for no other reason than I think it was still couched in "concept"-type language), more importantly 2.) it's full-size/huge keyboard dimension, and I already have enough/too many of those for the space available (and the space not available), and 3.) while it reputedly has aftertouch in the keybed, unlike the current wavestate, I already have other fuller-size keyboards/controllers with aftertouch, so I'll just get that via MIDI if I want it.

This is what I told myself anyway. Also, it'll probably be more expensive; how could it not be? The bigger one's build is allegedly going to be more robust too, and yeah, I'm not thrilled with the wavestate build (if it's gonna be a metal top plate and plastic, I think I'd prefer it to be smaller, like the minilogues, but that's me), but it is nice that (with the current/OG one) size oddness + plasticy nature aside, it's not heavy.

Looking at the OSS repository on GitHub did make me grimace a little bit (oh man, protobufs and ZeroMQ in my synth...), but I'm doing my best to ignore all that.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

minidracula posted:

no :q:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
get a monkey, a monkey sized synthesizer and a bottle of rum. train the monkey to copy the keys you play. give monkey additional rum to increase the length of the delay

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

titty_baby_ posted:

Just get a beebo or zoia and you'll have a great reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, drum.machine, and synth, all in one pedal
Have a ZOIA. Also have the Empress Reverb (and an Eventide Space, etc., etc.). "Sadly" the rabbit hole is already a lot deeper.

I tell myself that when pedal lust strikes, at least on average (for the prices I've been buying used & new pedals at, and for the types I've been buying) I'm getting more than what I would get out of a similarly priced single Eurorack module...

This poster gets it.

get a monkey, a monkey sized synthesizer and a bottle of rum. train the monkey to copy the keys you play. give monkey additional rum to increase the length of the delay
I kinda have a dumb idea I've been playing with that is not too far off from this, actually, involving at least nominally simple inputs into crazy reverb & delay signal chains across multiple pedals...

minidracula fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 7, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I volunteer to be the monkey. I come with my own synth, love rum, and need direction.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I've been putting together a little analog acid techno set up and my dad randomly gifted me a behringer neutron. I no longer have any desire to make music and have spent the last two days making weird bird noises and bassy gurgles. I also can't stop looking at modules so I guess I'm gonna be poor from now on.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ok Comboomer posted:

you should’ve got it for your phone/tablet

the Switch version is suuuuper cut back and limited compared to iOS/Android

Eh, I just bought it for farting around with. Plus it's iOS only, so not gonna happen.

Rutibex posted:

Also Switch software follows a regular pattern of sales. You never want to buy Switch stuff full price. The correct time to buy KORG Gadget is November :eng101:

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/korg-gadget-for-nintendo

I don't need graphs and poo poo, I'm making ridiculous music on a Switch

It was $48

CatBlack posted:

spent the last two days making weird bird noises and bassy gurgles. I also can't stop looking at modules so I guess I'm gonna be poor from now on.

And this is all correct

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Just sold my Azumi flute and purchased an Akai EWI 5000 so that I can play silently and make weird noises.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

SchrodingersCat posted:

Just sold my Azumi flute and purchased an Akai EWI 5000 so that I can play silently and make weird noises.

Holy Toledo! I've been totally looking at stuff like that. Please keep us informed! I really want a wind controller.

I'm not a woodwind player though, so I bought a silent brass mute for my Goodwill store trumpet and a piezo pickup instead,

which I will be using with this:

But I've noticed a few of these wind controllers have "recorder fingering" as an alternative or main or only configuration, which is all I need for dooting. I really want one now.

And then I discovered old school wind controllers, and I'm like drat, you people can bind your breathing to CCs and mod wheel and nobody bothers?

Incidentally, I've also been looking at MIDI controllers for the PO. I keep thinking putting one on a 33 would be pretty awesome.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 7, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

petit choux posted:

Incidentally, I've also been looking at MIDI controllers for the PO. I keep thinking putting one on a 33 would be pretty awesome.

Whaaat that looks like an awesome project. Got a link with more info?

I’ve gotten a somewhat good grip on the OP-1 synths, drums and sequencers but I’m gonna need some help getting my footing with recording and editing tracks. Anyone have a series or YouTuber they recommend?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

Whaaat that looks like an awesome project. Got a link with more info?

I’ve gotten a somewhat good grip on the OP-1 synths, drums and sequencers but I’m gonna need some help getting my footing with recording and editing tracks. Anyone have a series or YouTuber they recommend?

https://www.tindie.com/products/hanztech/pocket-operator-midi-adapter-v2/

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

petit choux posted:

Holy Toledo! I've been totally looking at stuff like that. Please keep us informed! I really want a wind controller.

I'm not a woodwind player though, so I bought a silent brass mute for my Goodwill store trumpet and a piezo pickup instead,

:sickos:

I really want to hear the results of this!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

:sickos:

I really want to hear the results of this!

Okay but It's going to take me a while to get into my thing.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Like tonight Imma try using the mic built into the mute, may not even bust out the PZM pickup.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'll have to record myself playing "The Camptown Ladies" for you or something

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

petit choux posted:

Yo whaaaaaaat, I've never seen a pickup like that before, where do I get one and how do I do that, I've wanted to electrify my trumpet for so long

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

OMG this is Sun Ra in a can

Johnny Truant posted:

Yo whaaaaaaat, I've never seen a pickup like that before, where do I get one and how do I do that, I've wanted to electrify my trumpet for so long

This is what I heard about Miles using during his Dark Magus or Pangea tour. I don't think they really had the technology all that together yet.

Okay, RN I'm just using the Yamaha pickup in the mute, have not gotten out the piezo yet. It is pretty good too. This is so loving awesome. Of course the mute fucks up your intonation, etc but not as bad as a DIY I tried making last week. And I'm playing in a small apartment RN too.

Here's a link to the guy what sole me the piezo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323881190790

Yeah, I think I found my new instrument. I'm just didgeree-doot-doot-doot

ED: and I'm still using the Yamaha mute. I'd have to say it's working pretty good. I don't think anybody can hear me and I'm running the synth into the stereo and it's louder than the trumpet. Just cycling through all the presets, it's gonna take me a minute to assimilate all this.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 8, 2021

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

SchrodingersCat posted:

Hello fellow EWI player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

That’s so stinking cool. This thread is budget poison.