Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

echinopsis posted:

cycles x might not do volumetrics? yet?

ages ago when I got my processor after ward I was unsure if it would have been better if I got an updated GPU instead.

updated GPU would have been epic but doing fluid sims lately and having many cores is helping me. for sure. its still slow, I suppose theres just a lot of thinking to be done

but one thing - I cant stand the denoiser. I hate the look of denoised poo poo. looks like its a jpeg encoded at quality of like 4 (or of 128)

I dont mind thre look of noise from low amounts of samples. I wonder if any effort could go into making the sampler act more like film so that low samples looked liked of like grainy film. I mean it kind of already does but just more so

It actually just recently, in the last month or two, got volumetric support. That was one of the main reasons I hadn't picked it up yet, so I'm glad it's in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

echinopsis posted:

but one thing - I cant stand the denoiser. I hate the look of denoised poo poo. looks like its a jpeg encoded at quality of like 4 (or of 128)

I dont mind thre look of noise from low amounts of samples. I wonder if any effort could go into making the sampler act more like film so that low samples looked liked of like grainy film. I mean it kind of already does but just more so
Are you using some old denoiser or modern magic machine learning denoisers like the OptiX or OpenImageDenoise ones? They do have limits in that if the image is just too noisy to start with you start losing detail and getting neural net vomit all over the place, but if the detail exists in the first place they usually work exceptionally well. Like this started life pretty heavily noisy and looks fine to me after a denoise:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm maybe. I’ve been using whatever blender has.

don’t get me wrong I think they do an incredible job but I personally prefer noise

I mean I use film grain textures in the compositor and add them to most of my renders as it is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/WateryVigilantAustrianpinscher.mp4

e: I've never cheated like this to make it loop but the last 30s of the video I fade into the first frame. genius

Sailor Dave posted:

It actually just recently, in the last month or two, got volumetric support. That was one of the main reasons I hadn't picked it up yet, so I'm glad it's in now.

cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/WateryVigilantAustrianpinscher.mp4

e: I've never cheated like this to make it loop but the last 30s of the video I fade into the first frame. genius

cool

howd you get the rainbow ring to spin? magnets?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

echinopsis posted:

hmm maybe. I’ve been using whatever blender has.

don’t get me wrong I think they do an incredible job but I personally prefer noise

I mean I use film grain textures in the compositor and add them to most of my renders as it is
It defaults to "NLM" which I think is the old denoiser. You'll want either OptiX or OpenImageDenoise. OptiX requires an Nvidia GPU with Optix turned on in Blender preferences, whereas OpenImageDenoise is Intel's CPU-based solution. Some people tell me OID gets them better results but I don't really know, they both do a good job.

Using render noise as the equivalent of film grain is often problematic because render noise tends to be localized to particular areas. For example, some types of lights make more noise than others, and bounced light is noisier than direct light. If I say have a spaceship lit by sunlight on one side and bounce light off a big space station on the other, the sunlit side will be perfectly noise-free while the space station side may be very noisy.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 5, 2021

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
If you denoise at a really low sample it can look like a painting, it’s cool.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goddamn im still in awe here. the classroom scene took me 35 minutes and 6 seconds to render on my old computer. now check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTAYJGaTR_k

e: i screwed up my screen recording. im trying to fix it!!!!
e2: now its fixed!

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 5, 2021

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Neon Noodle posted:

Speaking of fun render glitches, some time back I was trying to figure out how to make a realistic star field, in particular, one that would respond realistically to camera exposure.

I got a pretty good result. It's slow to render and only works for highly specific things though because it's hacky as hell.

At one point I accidentally rendered a sunlit object with a starlight exposure, and it turns out in Eevee light just kinda breaks at such extreme contrasts and you get some really fun effects.

Incidentally, if you've ever wondered if Blender realistically renders faraway objects too small to resolve (i.e. they're smaller than 1 pixel) realistically, the answer is yes, and you can indeed swoop a camera down into a speck of light and watch it resolve into a spaceship. The brightest star in this shot is the actual spaceship mesh 10 000 kilometers away:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Elukka posted:

Speaking of fun render glitches, some time back I was trying to figure out how to make a realistic star field, in particular, one that would respond realistically to camera exposure.

I got a pretty good result. It's slow to render and only works for highly specific things though because it's hacky as hell.

At one point I accidentally rendered a sunlit object with a starlight exposure, and it turns out in Eevee light just kinda breaks at such extreme contrasts and you get some really fun effects.

Incidentally, if you've ever wondered if Blender realistically renders faraway objects too small to resolve (i.e. they're smaller than 1 pixel) realistically, the answer is yes, and you can indeed swoop a camera down into a speck of light and watch it resolve into a spaceship. The brightest star in this shot is the actual spaceship mesh 10 000 kilometers away:

howd you get the render distance that far? i thought it was limited

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

fart simpson posted:

howd you get the render distance that far? i thought it was limited
You just have to adjust the near and far clipping planes of the camera (clip start and clip end). For the viewport camera the settings are in N -> View.

You want to keep the two clipping planes close enough, because the z-buffer which determines which things go in front of another things has finite precision. Like if your far plane is 1 billion and the near plane is 0.1 you'll have problems. Basically if you get weird flickering, move them closer.

There are no fundamental limits to scene sizes either, though somewhere maybe around a billion blender units you start running into floating point precision issues and things start jittering around. This scene and the viewport shot itself is about two light seconds across (600 million Blender units at 1 BU = 1 meter) and it behaves and renders fine. I wanted to get realistic lighting for a planet-moon system and I just built it to scale.

I did end up faking the final render for that though because bounce light from extremely distant objects is extremely noisy and you'd need a huge amount of samples. I made a tiny ground truth render and comped the final one together to closely resemble it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elukka posted:

It defaults to "NLM" which I think is the old denoiser. You'll want either OptiX or OpenImageDenoise. OptiX requires an Nvidia GPU with Optix turned on in Blender preferences, whereas OpenImageDenoise is Intel's CPU-based solution. Some people tell me OID gets them better results but I don't really know, they both do a good job.

Using render noise as the equivalent of film grain is often problematic because render noise tends to be localized to particular areas. For example, some types of lights make more noise than others, and bounced light is noisier than direct light. If I say have a spaceship lit by sunlight on one side and bounce light off a big space station on the other, the sunlit side will be perfectly noise-free while the space station side may be very noisy.

Yeah I was using OpenImage

I use adaptive sampling so I wonder if that evens out the samples a bit.

Anyway, still don’t care for denoising. It does an amazing job, I mean what it can recover from a
single sample is incredible, but I really don’t like the look of it .

In lightroom, the do noisier is also really good, but it’s easy to fo a touch too far and makes things look smoothed over which is bad in my opinion

I can see it being of benefit in production, trying to get stuff out the door for clients who might not know better, but for me I’m either happy with a fast enough render, or content to let it render away.

I admit I haven’t used it much in the case of high-ish samples to try to eek out a little bit more smoothness, I’ll give that a go, and I might end up doing what I’ve done before and blending it with noisy image to minimise that “dropped my paintbrush on the painting” effect I reckon it gives

Neon Noodle posted:

but like a neural nets idea of a painting. It’s interesting but I don’t like the look of it.

Can’t even stand it during previews.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

now I'm not sure if this is a good example or not

that is 10 samples on a relatively complex image

anyway, denoising to me still looks like a blur tool.

I wish it made it look like pixel art but it doesn't.

I suppose I should try the same but with lots of samples. perhaps it'll be more worthwhile on a less noisy image?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

10,000 samples on the left.

to my eye, shapes still have more definition through the noise, and that loss of definition is not worth the loss of the noise, imo anyway
it's also apparently applied evenly. like it doesnt want to risk denoising around an area it thinks is complex. so some stuff seems to get through untouched

perhaps this is a bad example though. curious what other people think about it

and also what people think about adaptive sampling.

I always use it, unless I am trying to make a reference image or something.

it's interesting to play around with the noise slider.

I used to wonder how the computer could tell how noisy something was because I thought that would require some kind of image noise analysis and didn't see anything like that anywhere.
and I suppose because I don't know the math well or even the type of math well, I didn't know that per-pixel the math could show you how "noisy" a pixel is, because it can build a statistical analysis of how the pool of samples is starting to align or not.

if I'm wrong on this someone please tell me. but I do try to understand the principle of the brdf function, even though I never did any calculus

so if with analysis we can see if a pixel needs few samples to converge to a stable result or a lot of pixels to converge, we can set the stop point for samples at a certain noise level. its faster because it drops samples but the way that it drops samples is towards each pixel having equal noise levels. ie it drops samples in a way that is the most efficient for dropping samples without noticing dropping them.

anyway, I am mostly pleased with how the noise ends up. I'd love some more options in blender around sampling tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the optix denoiser seems pretty good to me idk.

this is rendering with only 1 sample:

with optix denoiser:

100 samples with the denoiser:

1000 samples with no denoiser:

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 6, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh its amazing tech; the single sample shows that it's amazing techology and can save otherwise ruined things.

idk if it improves an already ok image though.

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1434857573522477061?s=20

https://giant.gfycat.com/GreatDimwittedBoutu.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well i mean, its kinda hard to find much difference between the 100 samples with optix and the 1000 samples without it that i just posted. that can save you A LOT of render time especially in an animation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how much faster. both of those show 13s

e:

yeah I think in production contexts for sure

for "hobbiest" people like you and me? eh I prefer the warm analog render

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol youre right i copied the wrong img link and those are both the same image.

huh yeah i do see a decent difference after correcting it. i still think i'd cut my render time by 4x if i were doing an animation here though

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Running an animation through a denoiser is a bit iffy because then you get random painterly splotches every frame; there's no temporal coherency. The Super Image Denoiser is supposedly pretty good at tackling that issue though, and is apparently better, faster, and more customizable than the built-in denoisers.

I've also read that the regular denoisers handle high-res + low samples better than it does low-res + high samples, so that's something to consider.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

echinopsis posted:

for "hobbiest" people like you and me? eh I prefer the warm analog render
I frequently run into situations where a render would take inconveniently long to make reasonably noise-free the traditional way. Denoising is definitely better for when you want to turn a kind of okay image into a good image rather than an absolute catastrophe to something tolerable, though.

I also often think about doing animations that I then calculate would take like three weeks of render time and then I abandon the idea of raytracing and switch to Eevee. Denoisers don't save me there so it's kinda beside the point but render times can definitely matter in a hobby context.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sailor Dave posted:

Running an animation through a denoiser is a bit iffy because then you get random painterly splotches every frame; there's no temporal coherency. The Super Image Denoiser is supposedly pretty good at tackling that issue though, and is apparently better, faster, and more customizable than the built-in denoisers.

I've also read that the regular denoisers handle high-res + low samples better than it does low-res + high samples, so that's something to consider.

i guess that makes sense.

btw i just found out about blenderkit which is built in to blender as an optional addon? its pretty cool and i got these character models and sand texture there and they have quite a few things

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sailor Dave posted:

that looks super impressive, i'm going to try it out

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
lost reboot looking amazing

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Corla Plankun posted:

(Xpost from the pics thread)

does anyone know what this weird deflated-looking animation style is called or how it is done? I see it a lot in 3d shitposts so it seems like it must be common enough that someone has explained it

ben levin actually answered this in his most recent vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n0mLWHukvM

the "inflated" look is just from using subdivision surface smoothing or whatever on regular squarish meshes and then doing bone stuff with it. I think y'all probably could have explained this if i asked my question better, sorry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so when you turn on "sheeting effects" in the fluid sim, it bridges gaps so that you dont get holes everywhere, improves the look, but also increases the volume of the fluid

in this video I tried to make the water fall, splash around, then I reverse gravity so it flows back up and can restart the animation

BUT the sheeting effects with so much splashing has added so much volume its it basically filled the entire fluid domain, and so it looks really odd when the gravity reverses, and then basically the thing is almost full with the surface of the water at the bottom

its a total fail but perhaps interesting to someone. gonna run it again without sheeting

https://giant.gfycat.com/VeneratedAdmirableGermanpinscher.mp4

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Corla Plankun posted:

(Xpost from the pics thread)

does anyone know what this weird deflated-looking animation style is called or how it is done? I see it a lot in 3d shitposts so it seems like it must be common enough that someone has explained it

Corla Plankun posted:

ben levin actually answered this in his most recent vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n0mLWHukvM

the "inflated" look is just from using subdivision surface smoothing or whatever on regular squarish meshes and then doing bone stuff with it. I think y'all probably could have explained this if i asked my question better, sorry

You can also use a lattice and a lattice modifier to get some squash and stretch going. This is actually how Veggietales was animated. The software that could do that back in the day was a serious expense for that show, and now we just kind of have it chilling in the back of this massive free software suite.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the sheeting effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/EnchantedFlickeringGarpike.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/FarSelfreliantCottontail.mp4

wish it generated some data for speed or churn or something so I could visualise that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can you extract the velocity or direction of each particle and color them accordingly?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I dont think the sim gives me access to it. it uses particles internally but only passes the surface back to blender

(the whitewater bits are particles)

you can visualise the velocity in the debugger, so it does exist on some level

its possible it does, as an "attribute", but I haven't had luck finding it

"attributes" gently caress me off a bit, but only because as a node based editor, unlike everything else, you need to know the name of them and type them in correctly. no drop down, no discovery

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://flipfluids.com/weekly-development-notes-55-new-geometry-attribute-features/

actually .. lol.. maybe this was added as recently as april

tbh I had forgotten the term attribute and only looked it up so my post would use the correct word, but then i used that word to google and lo and behold

it may only apply to the surface and not in the volume tho :cry:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/WeakGenerousChickadee.mp4

lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/FarSelfreliantCottontail.mp4

wish it generated some data for speed or churn or something so I could visualise that

i like both of the "unforgivable waveforms" ones - is the viscosity of the fluid in this one much higher than water's? It seems kind of freaky how it sticks to the letters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
theres a few tunable factors

the friction of the text mesh
the viscosity of the water

being the main two that's making that look like it does

viscosity seems to be on some kind of log scale, but I just find a number that suits my needs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh https://giant.gfycat.com/ThisCompetentHydatidtapeworm.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

v nice