Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

Gonna call this guy Mentos.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Played a Mystery Booster Draft got these 3 test cards.

Actually got to play High Troller for one match. Definitely very annoying to play with/against.. Definitely lived up to its name.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Voyager I posted:

Trying to tell how good Rebirth really is. 4 mana is the default rate for reanimate effects and generally doesn't get there in constructed unless the archetype is really pushed in that Standard or maybe if it's effects number 5-8 backing up a more efficient card. Coming in at a base 5 mana, this card is going to need some creatures dying to get there, and it's going to be non-trivial to do that without spending mana in the first place, especially if you're trying to take advantage of the cost reduction to go off quickly so you only have like two turns to set it up. We've seen some sac outlets and some cheap graveyard enabling creatures already, so it's entirely possible that deck will be there, but I think this card is a roleplayer rather than a reason to play an archetype.

Flashback is interesting and has been good enough to see Unburial Rites get played even in formats where its mana cost is tremendous, but this costs even more than Unburial Rites and it remains to be seen how effectively its first line of text can be leveraged to alleviate that.
Depends on a lot of things. One of the things that made Thragtusk / Unburial Rites so good was that the top end was a midrange beater that could reasonably be ramped into on its own without graveyard chicanery. Ultimately what that deck wanted to do was flood the board with 5/3s rather than cheat out something huge that immediately took over the game.

That might be a thing this time around. Depends on what it's bringing back.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Trying to tell how good Rebirth really is. 4 mana is the default rate for reanimate effects and generally doesn't get there in constructed unless the archetype is really pushed in that Standard or maybe if it's effects number 5-8 backing up a more efficient card. Coming in at a base 5 mana, this card is going to need some creatures dying to get there, and it's going to be non-trivial to do that without spending mana in the first place, especially if you're trying to take advantage of the cost reduction to go off quickly so you only have like two turns to set it up. We've seen some sac outlets and some cheap graveyard enabling creatures already, so it's entirely possible that deck will be there, but I think this card is a roleplayer rather than a reason to play an archetype.

Flashback is interesting and has been good enough to see Unburial Rites get played even in formats where its mana cost is tremendous, but this costs even more than Unburial Rites and it remains to be seen how effectively its first line of text can be leveraged to alleviate that.

The lynchpin for whether Rebirth will be good enough to see play in Standard or not is, in my opinion, Decaying. If there's a deck that can get solid midrange threats in the graveyard early and a couple decaying zombie tokens swinging on turn ~3 to get the cost down, I think it'll do solid work.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For some reason, the idea of an assassin that just comes in wearing a bull head and swinging a cleaver is hilarious.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
looked it up to see what other subtypes might work for a slasher villain and was surprised theres no like, murderer or butcher or hunter

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

looked it up to see what other subtypes might work for a slasher villain and was surprised theres no like, murderer or butcher or hunter

Human horror works good enough for me to describe Jason Voorhees and Michael Meyers.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i thought about that, and looked up to see if any cards care about horror as a type...and the only one that does is the sludge monster from this very set. weird. also a lot of eldrazi corrupted humans were typed as human horrors, and they might have wanted to ensure we know this is a human evil, not a cosmic one

e: ive put more research into this fuckin uncommon no one will ever play than i have into anything else in years

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

They're not a horror, they're just a jerk

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Really hoping that Kessig wolfman implies the existence of additional creature versions of the innistrad utility lands.

Bring on moorland haunter!

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
soul of the cavern
creature- spirit

1uu

flyinh

lands you put intto play can't be countered.

2/1

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

When ramp is strong and all the powerful creatures either have non-cheat clauses or cost 7ish, it's really hard ever justifying doing reanimation instead.

Pretty cool for a cheap pay to sac outlet creature.

Children of the Corn reference?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, we're clearly looking at a cow

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i thought about that, and looked up to see if any cards care about horror as a type...and the only one that does is the sludge monster from this very set. weird. also a lot of eldrazi corrupted humans were typed as human horrors, and they might have wanted to ensure we know this is a human evil, not a cosmic one

e: ive put more research into this fuckin uncommon no one will ever play than i have into anything else in years

Transformed Thing in the Ice only returns non-Horror creatures!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Froghammer posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, we're clearly looking at a cow

:agreed: creature type Human Ox

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
What is up with the pricing for the Innistrad preorders on MTGA? Unless I'm missing something, in the Play Bundle, it's $50 for 3 premier draft tokens and 1 sealed token (haven't played sealed before but looks like an entry usually costs 2k gems), which would cost 6,500 gems normally, plus some cosmetics and one copy of a lovely looking planeswalker. Or you could spend that $50 on gems in the shop and get 9,200. Like the $50-for-50-packs deal in the other bundle isn't great but at least you come out on top a little bit. The other one is so bad it feels like I'm missing something.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

goferchan posted:

What is up with the pricing for the Innistrad preorders on MTGA? Unless I'm missing something, in the Play Bundle, it's $50 for 3 premier draft tokens and 1 sealed token (haven't played sealed before but looks like an entry usually costs 2k gems), which would cost 6,500 gems normally, plus some cosmetics and one copy of a lovely looking planeswalker. Or you could spend that $50 on gems in the shop and get 9,200. Like the $50-for-50-packs deal in the other bundle isn't great but at least you come out on top a little bit. The other one is so bad it feels like I'm missing something.

You are, look again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

goferchan posted:

Mastery pass is included.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I have no idea what the use case for this is gonna be. Some kind of Aristocrats type thing as a 1-2 of, maybe?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Man that’d be so fun but probably a huge problem if it was instant speed lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yawgmoth posted:

I have no idea what the use case for this is gonna be. Some kind of Aristocrats type thing as a 1-2 of, maybe?

I like this card.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Woah. This is cool. Decayed lets them print a card that my instincts scream is nuts but I'm not sure how you'd actually convert this into a big advantage. It's also way less annoying than Spider Spawning, which was too good on defense.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Yawgmoth posted:

There have been a couple of cards so far in black and green that self mill, it might be a small theme in the set.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

Man that’d be so fun but probably a huge problem if it was instant speed lol

2 mana create 5 2/2 end of turn, you tell me if thats too much

E: this is probably meaner sounding then i meant it, im just saying it is 100% busted at instant

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

Interesting. Might be limited in use but it’s very cheap and has flashback

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Pretty insane in a Lion's Eye Diamond style Dredge, lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

2 mana create 5 2/2 end of turn, you tell me if thats too much

E: this is probably meaner sounding then i meant it, im just saying it is 100% busted at instant

Yea for sure, especially if there’s synergy to fill a yard rapidly in the set. The combination of sorcery speed, decay, and being dependant on creatures in the GY might make this a bit too fiddly for standard play even if the power is there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It potentially sets up a really good Diregraf Rebirth next turn. I can see those two cards powering a GB/Sultai self-mill deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wait we're already back in full on spoiler season? That was quick.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

It weirds me out that it doesn't require you to exile the creatures from your graveyard as part of the cost to play it. I guess that's compensated for by the tokens not being able to block and dying after they swing?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

New set is out on Arena in 10 days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Huxley posted:

New set is out on Arena in 10 days.

poo poo. time flies

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It potentially sets up a really good Diregraf Rebirth next turn. I can see those two cards powering a GB/Sultai self-mill deck.
For second I thought you meant Rise of the Dread Marn which would be hilarious if Rise didn't say "nontoken". Yeah lemme just swing out with all my decaying zombies and then get a bunch of non-decaying zombies for 2B, thanks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

poo poo. time flies

we can never escape spoiler season

the social media engagement must never end

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

Yea for sure, especially if there’s synergy to fill a yard rapidly in the set. The combination of sorcery speed, decay, and being dependant on creatures in the GY might make this a bit too fiddly for standard play even if the power is there.

Yeah, it might not make a splash which is kinda sad bc i think its a neat card. Guess it depends on the quality of sweepers we have right now? Idk whats in the format, i remember that one kaldhiem sweeper was a huge miss

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think if you have 8 or so creatures in the graveyard your opponent isn't going to have trouble clearing enough 2/2's that will kill themselves. I know it sounds broken at instant but IMO it's unplayable at sorcery out side of some weird combo deck but then it doesn't rally matter because it's a combo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rinkles posted:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm seeing it as a potential way for an Aristocrats deck to make a bunch more bodies to feed to the furnace for BG, with the additional option to do it again later on if they run out of gas before they close the game.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The cycle is complete.
Or it will be when I have an oversized promo...
(CL doesn't count)

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Arivia posted:

we can never escape spoiler season

the social media engagement must never end

lol remember a few years ago when people were like "urgh I wish spoiler season started sooner"