Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I was all set to complain about my galaxy watch 4 being unable to measure heart rate consistently during bike rides. I was 0/5 on it tracking the entirety of half hour rides, and usually it'd track for 2-3 minutes and never again. But then I tried switching from the active 2 40mm sport band I had put on it, back to the watch 4 44 sport band it came with, and I'm 1/1 on it tracking heart rate. Subjectively the fit of the active 2's band seemed good, but the watch 4 band juts out a bit horizontally more, rather than going straight down and around the wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like Wear 5100 may be 3100 all over again. It's been tipped to still be A53 cores, same as Wear 4100. It's likely to be not much different than the 4100+ other than a light coat of paint. It would be nice if it was built on a smaller node, but given that it's still A53, not sure how likely that is.

Would have been nice if they would have moved to A55 with Samsung or waited long enough to go A510 which would have been a leg up.

I wonder if Samsung is open to licensing out the W920 to other watch manufacturers.

Basically, until we see how Wear 3.0 performs on the TicWatch Pro 3 or Fossil Gen 6, we might as well assume that everyone else is going to have to put out a nerfed product for a few more years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sourdough posted:

I was all set to complain about my galaxy watch 4 being unable to measure heart rate consistently during bike rides. I was 0/5 on it tracking the entirety of half hour rides, and usually it'd track for 2-3 minutes and never again. But then I tried switching from the active 2 40mm sport band I had put on it, back to the watch 4 44 sport band it came with, and I'm 1/1 on it tracking heart rate. Subjectively the fit of the active 2's band seemed good, but the watch 4 band juts out a bit horizontally more, rather than going straight down and around the wrist.

Yeah, quite a few reviewers have complained about the way the new watch band sits on the wrist, but I'm starting to wonder if they did it for a reason for stability for heath readings. Would be interesting to see someone test for that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Something interesting I noticed today, Outlook on my Watch 4 has a completely different interface (and actually works) compared to Outlook on my TicWatch Pro 3 and Fossil Gen 5 (both of which always say I'm caught up on email even if I have email)

Given that Outlook for Wear just got an update today and nothing changed for the two older watches, it would appear that MS is either developing for Wear 3.0 or Samsung specifically. At any rate, it's nice to have functioning Outlook on my wrist as it allows me to peek at work email without really engaging with it on my phone.

There's also reports of the new Messages UI appearing for some people (on both old and new watches). This is the cleaner dark UI that was shown off at IO. I don't have it yet on my devices though.

It's....strange but nice seeing activity in this space again.

My top wish list right now:

Full Google Chat app so I can initiate conversations from my wrist
Google Home app so I can control lights, thermostat, locks, and answer the doorbell from my wrist.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 2, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just realized today that I can go down to Best Buy and walk out with a watch instead of waiting for mine to ship in October from Samsung directly lol

Edit: watch is good!

Edit 2: I think the strap I had on my old watch is just ever so slightly too wide to fit in the space. The standard rubber strap on this thing is pretty bad, it feels like the parts closest to the watch face bow out too much if that makes sense.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 2, 2021

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Yea not a fan of the stock strap. Think the way the bands connect to the watch also contribute to it jutting it out a bit more.

Body comp has been decent in my experience. Fluctuates maybe 1% or so. And of course, the initial shock of thinking it was broken since the bf% seemed higher than I thought (lol)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I bought a new wireless charging pad for my phone should it also charge the watch? I notice the one I have for my phone doesn't work on the watch but I can powershare to the watch from my phone so I assume I just have an old charging pad or something?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Something interesting I noticed today, Outlook on my Watch 4 has a completely different interface (and actually works) compared to Outlook on my TicWatch Pro 3 and Fossil Gen 5 (both of which always say I'm caught up on email even if I have email)

Given that Outlook for Wear just got an update today and nothing changed for the two older watches, it would appear that MS is either developing for Wear 3.0 or Samsung specifically. At any rate, it's nice to have functioning Outlook on my wrist as it allows me to peek at work email without really engaging with it on my phone.

Part of the Samsung/Microsoft snuggling has been Microsoft doing development for Samsung and vice versa. I'd be curious to hear more about Outlook on the Watch 4, I haven't seen anyone talk about that in reviews and the Outlook app on the Tizen watches was terrrrrrrrible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Believe me, the outlook app on WearOS in general is much much worse (and only partially because it can't actually fetch any mail.)

The one I'm seeing on the watch 4 is limited. You can only see your inbox, you only see the first 10 or so lines of of an email, you can reply to a message but you can't create a brand new message.

I would like to see more functionality, but this does what I need it to do. I want to be able to quickly glance at new emails and see if anything really requires my attention.

The one on my Fossil Gen 5 and TicWatch Pro 3 just refuse to sync messages and it's an ugly interface on top.

The thing I was sort of surprised about is that MS went through the effort to make the WearOS version for the Watch 4 at least match the Tizen one rather than defaulting to the one that other watches have. This is coming from the play store too, I had an update today on both my Watch 4 and TicWatch and it didn't give the TicWatch the interface and functionality of the one on the watch 4.

explosivo posted:

If I bought a new wireless charging pad for my phone should it also charge the watch? I notice the one I have for my phone doesn't work on the watch but I can powershare to the watch from my phone so I assume I just have an old charging pad or something?

Reply hazy, try again.

The watches use Qi, but the coils are smaller than most charging pads can handle, so it's a crapshoot if compatibility isn't expressly called out

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 3, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edit: NM confused old man

mystes
May 31, 2006

Can anyone who uses maps (especially any app that allows navigation with premade gpx routes) on wear os say how it is?

I'm vaguely considering getting a TicWatch E3 or E2 (the latter seems really junky but B&H has it for like $90 right now) if it would be convenient for looking at maps while exercising but it seems like it's impossible to actually get information on how well this would actually work.

(Honestly I'm probably going to wait and get a Garmin Instinct Solar or Fenix or something if they're on sale for cheap enough again even though they're pretty expensive and just have really lovely low resolution maps because the whole Wear OS situation seems terrible. It's unfortunate because f I was an apple user I would probably just buy an apple watch without thinking twice.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 5, 2021

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
What's the go-to for watch faces? The Galaxy Store had a somewhat nice section for just watch faces but it seems harder to find/navigate on the Play Store.
I tried using some of those 3rd party platforms like Facer and Watchmaker but looks like there's some compatibility issues with getting the complications to sync (like some faces don't support the Steps counter for Samsung Health so it just shows a blank). Also, a lot of the watch faces require a separate app just for the watch face itself??

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 5, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well poo poo, my Fossil Sport decided to succumb to the Fossil group battery death right when I was packing it up to send it in for trade it. It won't boot off a charger anymore. This will be the 3rd Fossil Group watch I've had that has the battery just give up the ghost under load (like resetting or booting up.)

I guess I'll be sending in the Vapor X that I managed to snag for $40 awhile ago since it will probably eventually start doing it too before too long. Really wonder how much longer my Gen 5 is going to last.

Edit:
Ugh, after the 3rd attempt it booted, but it's probably not safe to risk it to the RMA people because who knows what it will end up doing after they get it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hmmxkrazee posted:

What's the go-to for watch faces? The Galaxy Store had a somewhat nice section for just watch faces but it seems harder to find/navigate on the Play Store.
I tried using some of those 3rd party platforms like Facer and Watchmaker but looks like there's some compatibility issues with getting the complications to sync (like some faces don't support the Steps counter for Samsung Health so it just shows a blank). Also, a lot of the watch faces require a separate app just for the watch face itself??

I bought pujie black with google survey credit and just made my own simple watch face. But ymmv, I literally only cared about having (1) digital time that (2) would show seconds when I woke it from the always on display.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'd be curious if anyone else is actually exercising with their galaxy watch 4. Heart rate tracking still is a little spotty, but what seems to help the most is to have the watch almost loose enough that it doesn't stay in place on my wrist, plus have it as close to my hand as possible instead of a more natural spot. Literally never had this much issue getting consistent heart rate tracking and I've been doing it for like 5-6 years now, through a Fitbit, multiple wearOS watches, galaxy active 2, and an apple watch. Just curious if the Galaxy watch 4 is more fiddly than usual or if mine may be defective.

I am using Samsung health to track exercises which I normally haven't, because strava wasn't acquiring or holding gps well lol. So dunno if it's possible Samsung health sucks, but I know strava's app sucks so doubt it'd be better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've recorded 5 exercise sessions with my watch 4 so far and I've only had one few second drop in heart rate tracking throughout that whole 5ish hour cumulative time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh, there are already open-box sales on the Watch4s.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Everyone that owns an original Samsung Gear watch is crying because it doesn't have 5 day battery life while not recognizing it's doing a ton more and returning/review bombing it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I've recorded 5 exercise sessions with my watch 4 so far and I've only had one few second drop in heart rate tracking throughout that whole 5ish hour cumulative time.

Pretty sure I'm being samsung'd. Had my heart rate for like a minute, couldn't reacquire for the next 5-6 minutes biking, so I stopped and manually did the stress measure thing. Sure enough, heart rate when I resumed was tracked just fine.

Guess I need to try another app and see if it's Samsung health being dumb.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Considering the extent at which 20mm watch bands have suddenly sold out on Amazon in the past week, I think Samsung might have a hit on their hands.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got my new band in today and it makes the watch fit so much better when the bands can swing straight down instead of bowing out at the sides like the standard one does. Looks nice on the ol wrist too!

Edit: I will say that after a day using the computer with the watch on and the new strap that the stock rubber strap is way more comfortable to use as a computer toucher which kinda has me reconsidering using the new one all the time.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 6, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I think I'm also having issues with heart rate tracking during workouts. Maybe it's because I'm using Google Fit instead of Samsung Health, but this is what I get when I go biking:

That obviously makes no sense, but my last few rides all show the same profile where it registers more or less no change from the start to half way through and then a ramp up to peak at the end of the ride (which also doesn't make sense as the hardest part is the climb about a mile before the finish, it's almost all coasting or flat cruising from there.

If I flip over to the realtime heart rate tile it always seems to be reasonable and changing regularly but something clearly isn't happy. Stock black rubber strap, and I wear it tight enough to not move around on my wrist.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 7, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know that Fit doesn't seem to want to do realtime polling of heart rate. I can only assume it's from not having all the fitness stuff for Wear 3.0 done.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, yours may just be fit being dumb.

You can usually find a support post about literally anything, so dunno how widespread it is, but might be an issue specifically with biking. So I'll try something else soon and see if it records better for me:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/heart-rate-tracking-bug-galaxy-watch-4/td-p/3907820

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/watch-4-hr-tracking-stops-during-training/m-p/3943532

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, Samsung Heath updated on the watch yesterday, so I would give that a go to see if it helps your issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like my Messages app finally updated to the nice dark Wear 3.0 UI rather than the garish blue one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly came in expecting the battery on the watch 4c to not be that good based on a few reviews but it seems perfectly acceptable. I charge it to 90-95% before heading out to work for the day and still have 50%+ the next day even after taking 1+ hour workout sessions.

And boy is the gamification of exercising doing wonders in helping me keep pace. I should have bought a smart watch a long time ago.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

And boy is the gamification of exercising doing wonders in helping me keep pace. I should have bought a smart watch a long time ago.

Agreed with this.

I'm coming from the Series 6 to the GW4 and I'm really liking all this. Setting it up as I post this but so far the watch reminds me of a Pebble Time.

I miss Pebble...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, like I said, battery life complaints seemed to come from 1 of 2 camps.

1) They owned an OG Galaxy Watch or a Tizen watch from 3+ generations ago and were comparing battery life to it when those watches didn't have anywhere near the sensors or capability.

2) They have an axe to grind about moving to WearOS over Tizen so they wanted to be hyperbolic about battery life claims on both sides (inflating the old, and being overly pessimistic about the new.)

There were yet others that expected some sort of miracle around the 5nm processor when it's the display that remains the highest consumer of battery.

The Ticwatch pro 3 will last longer without a doubt. It should, it has a 60% larger battery and effectively has AoD off in default configuration since the tranflective LCD takes the place of it. Compared to the previous two generations of Samsung watches though, it's right on par.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Factory resetting (and maybe not reinstalling strava or google fit? shouldn't have interfered but I'm using samsung health so don't need them anyway) seems to have mostly fixed my heart rate tracking issues. It still stops reading maybe once every 4-5 bike rides, but that's a big improvement over what I was dealing with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung Health has also seen several updates over the past week so maybe it's possible you caught an update during a factory reset that you didn't have before.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, also possible. I manually checked updates for it, but wouldn't be surprised to have gotten one without realizing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I presume the blood pressure measurement of the GW4 can't do gently caress-all right after exercise, i.e. triggering right exactly after stopping a run?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 12, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Probably aren't going to find a ton of help here because BP monitoring was never approved for the US and thus isn't available.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Trying to mess with the smart lock stuff here and I'm curious about something, with the AW once I take it off the watch would be disconnected and that's it. I'm seeing here that once I add my GW4 to Smart Lock it's always connected to the phone. Even if it's in a different room charging. Is there no way to just have it disconnected when it's not on me so the smart lock thing could work more to what I want it too?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Probably aren't going to find a ton of help here because BP monitoring was never approved for the US and thus isn't available.

It's approved here in Australia shockingly and my watch arrives today. I bought it only because this is the first time we've had ECG let alone blood pressure and I've got a hosed up ticker.

But I can already answer, obviously you're supposed to test BP in a resting state.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pujie Black has a very nice editor, but having to pay a subscription to download other people's faces royally sucks, especially when there's not much on there. It also completely ravages my battery, even with ambient and tilt to wake off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I pretty much abandoned it after the whole subscription thing.

You don't get to charge a sub for community produced content.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Am I grandfathered in for pujie or is it just a one time purchase cause I made my own watch face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can make your own, you just can't browse the community library without paying for a sub.