Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PinkDawn posted:

ZAIDA! I have to be real, I wasn't expecting Zaida and I am PLEASANTLY happy about it. Also she finally gets to be called by her name and not her identification! Until she gets a teammate that knew her from LobCorp. I'm kidding.

It was actually interesting to see you lose the Bloodbath fight but also very funny; WhiteNight, one of the most feared Abnormalities in LobCorp? Here's a programming exploit to make it way easier. A blood clot in a bath that's meant to be a tutorial? That'll getcha.

It helps that the core gameplay of Ruina is much more streamlined than LC.

While it'll always have that :lobcorp: touch under the hood, everything uses the same system for cards and pages, so you won't have the wildly different effects between Abnos that resulted in so much jank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

PinkDawn posted:

ZAIDA! I have to be real, I wasn't expecting Zaida and I am PLEASANTLY happy about it. Also she finally gets to be called by her name and not her identification! Until she gets a teammate that knew her from LobCorp. I'm kidding.

It was actually interesting to see you lose the Bloodbath fight but also very funny; WhiteNight, one of the most feared Abnormalities in LobCorp? Here's a programming exploit to make it way easier. A blood clot in a bath that's meant to be a tutorial? That'll getcha.

I'm very good at LobCorp because I have a massive knowledge base to work from, and I can make and devise plans on the fly in order to use that knowledge base to make the game basically do whatever I want it to.

I usually do not put nearly as much thought into my Ruina gameplay, and this is probably going to show as we go through the game. I play card games by instinct, for better or worse. :sweatdrop:

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

I'm very good at LobCorp because I have a massive knowledge base to work from, and I can make and devise plans on the fly in order to use that knowledge base to make the game basically do whatever I want it to.

I usually do not put nearly as much thought into my Ruina gameplay, and this is probably going to show as we go through the game. I play card games by instinct, for better or worse. :sweatdrop:

That's fair -- as someone who plays it as safe as possible with LobCorp and is currently refusing to grind cards that I need in Ruina because that's effort, I can't talk, but it just gave me a chuckle. Not in a bad way! And it did make for some entertaining commentary.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Oh yeah, for sure. I'm looking forward to absolutely getting destroyed at some point in this playthrough.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

PinkDawn posted:

I totally expected it to be Zaida. :v: Because I'm completely unoriginal, I used the characters from the LobCorp LP as my Librarians on my last run of this game, so I think I've got a pretty good idea of who's going to be showing up where and when. It should be BICEPS and Bishop coming up next. :ssh:

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021

GilliamYaeger posted:

I totally expected it to be Zaida. :v: Because I'm completely unoriginal, I used the characters from the LobCorp LP as my Librarians on my last run of this game, so I think I've got a pretty good idea of who's going to be showing up where and when. It should be BICEPS and Bishop coming up next. :ssh:

I did the same, but only for Keter! The librarians I used personally were Tenebrais and Medea, but that's just 'cuz I liked them.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: I'm glad the resident slacker and ascended clerk is back for another go. And in something comfy this time, too.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So wait, if Angela booked all the agents
Where’s the EGO equipment?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Please do not have a nice soak in the bloodbath

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Who was Zaida?

Oh Zeta 21 hahaha

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I think I've got a pretty good idea of who's going to be showing up where and when.

Same. It has been very hard not to make constant jokes about the abno my agent is currently spooning. At least they finally got the rest they needed.. Or a very, VERY thorough massage :sweatdrop:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course Zeta is the first person Angela wakes up to force to go back to work.

Angela that isn't very nice.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021

CHiRAL posted:

the abno my agent is currently spooning.

Maybe my humor is broken, but this absolutely had me in tears laughing. There was absolutely no possible better way to phrase this.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
No rest for Clerks, even in death. Truly a cursed fate.

As a side, I've seen many people have a degree of difficulty with Bloodbath exactly because they don't seem to have realized you don't need to play cards, and then just exhaust and stagger themselves by spending all their light trying to overcome triple 1-7 Block dice.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I took a different approach with my librarians.

I'm naming them after fiction writers I like, in case you couldn't tell.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 5, 2021

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

By the way, not setting any pages for a scene is worth an achievement.

Also was there a battle video in there, or

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 5, 2021

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I can't give TQ poo poo for losing to Bloodbath. For a tutorial abno, I have seen it gently caress so many people up because of Scars. It's really quite rude, the best pages in the game right now are all slash, and most players will have probably been relying on Gut Harvesting to clear out the last two encounters.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
This is. All really complicated I’m just gonna read the dialog

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

goblin week posted:

We haven't even gotten into Emotion Levels yet!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I hope we eventually call Paul.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Definitely give the abno battle music a listen if you remember the music from the first game.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
For being the first abno you fight, Bloodbath's cards are a surprisingly effective at all points. Anything that grants additional power to die is welcome in my book (though I prefer offensive over defensive die), the reduced damage effects are nice even in the late game, and we will eventually get to the point where enemies aren't reliably staggered in 3 attacks and the bonus damage to stagger adds up. Though the restriction of being locked onto 1 enemy is annoying, I don't like being locked into always attacking one character in case I roll a slower die than them and they're attacking someone else.

It may seem a bit weird, but I honestly prioritize dealing/defending against stagger damage over HP where possible. As TQ mentioned, staggering an opponent gets you back one light (for a total of 2 when you include the 1 light you get each turn by default) so you can better capitalize on the enemies shiny new 2x weaknesses to literally everything by playing a stronger card. Enemies also follow light mechanics, so getting staggered is pretty bad since they can unload on you too!

As an aside, killing an enemy adds 2 light (with the 1 regular bringing that to 3). It's basically a full refill at this part of the game, setting aside the "light curve" TQ spoke about where leveling your emotion level refills your meter. Which we still aren't talking about!

goblin week posted:

This is one of the things where posting a YouTube video of most later battles would clear things up a lot with methodical explanation. It's much easier to see in action, and guests die too quickly in the early game to see how you'll interact with some mechanics in the mid- or late-game, like emotion.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Welcome back Zaida.

Ruina really does some like the kind of game that makes more sense in motion than it does having it explained in screenshots. But man, I don't think I can handle C++'s "random" range for 1-7 rolls. Programming is weird.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Evil Kit posted:

Ruina really does some like the kind of game that makes more sense in motion than it does having it explained in screenshots. But man, I don't think I can handle C++'s "random" range for 1-7 rolls. Programming is weird.

Oh, I assure you that people tend to be very confused even when playing the actual game for the first time (or two) :v:

It's better than LobCorp in this regard, but Ruina still suffers from PM's... lack of expertise on tutorials.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
In all honesty, confusion is natural when trying to approach the deluge of information thrown at you by Project Moon. If anything, it’s probably one of the biggest issues with the series in general. The game’s already pretty complicated as is and it only gets more complex as more mechanics and cards are introduced. When I played it some time ago, I think I didn’t get like half the mechanics but still made decent progress.

Overall, :lobcorp:.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's much easier to understand when you're doing it yourself, and the learning curve at the beginning is extremely gentle (now, after being tuned down many times over the course of early access) which gives you a lot of pressure-free space to bounce cards off one another and observe what happens.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
So, I just wanna point out that after 1 million subjective years trapped in LobCorp being forced to work on a project she had no stake in and would never benefit her...
Angela has trapped all of the LobCorp employees in the Library and is forcing them to work on a project they have no stake in and will not benefit them.

Her new haircut resembling A's continues to be fitting. :v:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't LobCorp written in C#? I guess they switched engine since then for some reason if it's C++ for LoR? For the random number generator thing, modern C++ gives you access to different random number generators and has a whole module dedicated to doing that. It's not too hard to get some high quality but still cheap to compute random numbers, so I'd have expected them to use that. Alternatively they might be using the ancient C rand() function, which is probably more likely to have issues like that. So what I'm saying is, Project Moon might still be partly to blame here, depending on the details.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Wasn't LobCorp written in C#? I guess they switched engine since then for some reason if it's C++ for LoR? For the random number generator thing, modern C++ gives you access to different random number generators and has a whole module dedicated to doing that. It's not too hard to get some high quality but still cheap to compute random numbers, so I'd have expected them to use that. Alternatively they might be using the ancient C rand() function, which is probably more likely to have issues like that. So what I'm saying is, Project Moon might still be partly to blame here, depending on the details.

Even if you’re using the ancient C rand function there’s ways around common RNG issues you’d notice in a game like this.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

So, I just wanna point out that after 1 million subjective years trapped in LobCorp being forced to work on a project she had no stake in and would never benefit her...
Angela has trapped all of the LobCorp employees in the Library and is forcing them to work on a project they have no stake in and will not benefit them.

Her new haircut resembling A's continues to be fitting. :v:

It’s ring theory!!

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Here's a sketch I was working on for the last thread but didn't finish in time, enjoy (?)

I'm sure we'll see these fellas again soon enough anyways.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Even if you’re using the ancient C rand function there’s ways around common RNG issues you’d notice in a game like this.

Sure. But you're still trying to just patch over what's probably a crappy linear congruential generator underneath when there's already higher quality generators and adaptors to give you uniform distributions already available to you instead.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
[EXCISED ON REFLECTION]

[FURTHER EXCISED ON REFLECTION]

MetaMeme fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 6, 2021

MiracleGrow
Jul 17, 2021

fart
That Roland in the maid uniform is extremely powerful.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

It is still Unity and C#. Can't comment on quality of its RNG yet.

TeeQueue posted:

Additionally, we're given [...] access to new Abnormality pages, which we'll talk about when we see them in action.
Then I'll wait until next update.

Looks like blood in bathtub got tired of waiting for next agent to work with it and got up for a walk. I wasn't expecting THIS when I played, and was really surprised. One thing I regret is that we don't get any of its cards to play.

I always imagine Abnormalities not talking, but instead projecting fragments of their mind into brains of everyone around, invading their thoughts, slowly filling everything and driving recipients mad. Definetly a cool effect in their battles.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm skeptical of that RNG comment unless it was made by someone who's very familiar with the code. A bias bad enough to actually be noticeable by human players in a game like this would take a serious programming error since C#'s Random class should be fine for anything short of actual cryptography.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
I've played through the game three times and am two-thirds through a fourth time, and I never noticed that you're on a different side of the field for Abnormality fights. What the gently caress.

Mr. Stizblee
Aug 24, 2021

Solitair posted:

I took a different approach with my librarians.

That's awesome, I love Mitchell and Webb! People unfamiliar with them will probably know them through the "Are we the baddies?" sketch but they did a lot of great stuff. I encourage anyone curious to look up the cheese argument and speedo sketches because those are my personal favorites.

MetaMeme posted:

"Lots of stuff"

I genuinely feel bad for saying this and I'm sure I don't speak for everyone but I just want to say, please try not to hijack the thread too much. Shitposting relentlessly is fine and even encouraged but posting an entire gameplay update is a bit too much. Especially when it's just "here's me doing this fight better than the actual LPer", at least that's how it came across to me. Once again opinions will differ for this but I think this should be put in either the general Project Moon thread or it's own LP thread. Than again, what do I know? I'm still very new to this site.
At the very least I applaud your enthusiasm!

Anyway, abnormality battles. I talked a bit about how I didn't like them and promised to explain my reasoning once we saw them but on second thought I think I'll save it for later once more gameplay mechanics are revealed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcvasti posted:

I've played through the game three times and am two-thirds through a fourth time, and I never noticed that you're on a different side of the field for Abnormality fights. What the gently caress.

I didn't really think about it before but it makes sense. Usually we are the defending team but when we go into the abnormality space or whatever you want to call it they are on the defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Stizblee posted:

That's awesome, I love Mitchell and Webb! People unfamiliar with them will probably know them through the "Are we the baddies?" sketch but they did a lot of great stuff. I encourage anyone curious to look up the cheese argument and speedo sketches because those are my personal favorites.
Not sure if :thejoke: but context would seem to imply a different David Mitchell.