Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just figured he was one of those libertarians that picked their targets better than others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
in any case English accents suck poo poo and I’m not gonna listen to any besides David Attenborough

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Let me just go ahead and read the Atlantic rn

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The general argument [of Curtis’s work] seems to be that history is made by individuals and not larger historical or social forces, that ideas are always to be suspected (especially those of philosophers and scientists), and we shouldn’t trust people with plans for improving things
This seems like the exact opposite of his prescriptive message but whatever

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
watched Shadow in the Cloud last night

movie kicks rear end hell yeah

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it rules, i wanna show it to people without mentioning the second act twist

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

How much Max Landis bullshit bleeds through?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

sounds like a real bad take on adam curtis imo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sex isnt real

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

WHen the racist obama avatar man links you to an atlantic article saying that adam curtis is bad with no elaboration >>>>>>>>>>>>>

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Farm Frenzy posted:

WHen the racist obama avatar man links you to an atlantic article saying that adam curtis is bad with no elaboration >>>>>>>>>>>>>

pwns

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

BUT ONE MAN DISAGREED

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Just saw the last 45 minutes of A Quiet Place 2. I don't recommend it. If you want to deal yourself immense psychic damage, listen to the cast and crew talk about how very very deep and meaningful and clever the movie is.

Immediately after I posted this, they started succing at 10x force. :yikes: This is so grim.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

Just saw the last 45 minutes of A Quiet Place 2. I don't recommend it. If you want to deal yourself immense psychic damage, listen to the cast and crew talk about how very very deep and meaningful and clever the movie is.

Immediately after I posted this, they started succing at 10x force. :yikes: This is so grim.

it blows. its just a retread of the first movie. like literally the same arc for all the characters, with the same ending. they even got a new father figure to replace jimbo

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ I didn't see the first movie and I feel like I will watch Centaurworld first (I quit 5 minutes in because it was obviously generated by algorithm).

The A Quiet Place 2 cast and crew commentating on a gridiron match:

"Well, you see, gridiron was invented by homo sapiens as a showcase of their physical prowess and affinity for launching gourd-sized objects over short to medium distances."

"Yeah you can tell the guys here are really determined because they're running really fast around this big, delineated field."

"I think what really sets gridiron apart from all other sports is the creativity of wearing a helmet and shoulderpads, because we haven't always had shoulderpads, you know, in terms of human evolution, and that, I think, is very inspiring."

"Victory isn't always a sure thing when your opponent runs around the field at the same as you. It takes determination to run and throw objects like you see the gridiron players doing, and I really think that comes across here in this particular gridiron match."

"Sometimes when a player breaks the rules of the game, they might receive a penalty from a referee, because it's not really a fair match if one team is allowed to perform maneuvers the other team isn't, as it would put the compliant team at a major tactical disadvantage to the other team."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what the gently caress is gridiron

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

indigi posted:

what the gently caress is gridiron

American Football.

Anyway, The Suicide Squad was OK. It felt like I was reading a mid 2000s Vertigo Omnibus comic.

Probably not gonna see the Peacemaker show. They're gonna make intro a lib character for Cena to bounce off of and to justify atrocities in the name of freedom. It'll just be the Dick, Pussy and Assholes speech from Team America for 10 episodes.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

adam curtis is definitely a big ol stinky lib

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cosmopolis had a mixed reaction when it came out, but it's a very CSPAM movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WFKdIBdpjM

There's a scene where the head of the IMF gets stabbed to death in front of a mural of Kim Il-sung.

The movie has a bunch of dumbass anarchists protesting domestically and doing media stunts, while Robert Pattison gets destroyed when he bets again China.

Robert Pattison seems to be playing the character that Epstein imagined himself to be as well.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

for a second I was like “wait the Impossible Mission Force is in other movies??”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just stumbled upon Reservation Dogs and I love it, highly recommend

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Paul Giamatti's character gives off Cushvlog vibes

Sadly he is not playing a marxist

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

funny how folks got drawn in by the imagery of adam curtis's stuff and ignored the lack of politics beneath it

thank you for this tepid take that has been written in one form or another a 100 times here in cspam, you can leave now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/paynusIII/status/1433887305052393477

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so has anyone actually seen shang chi the trailers make it seem kind of funny because awkafinas doing her bumbling millennial schtick but all the magic kung fu bits just have me going like yawn

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

adam curtis is definitely a big ol stinky lib

Yes, though he's a British lib, which means he's allowed to criticize, say, US imperialism in Latin America or what have you, and therefore can come across to a US audience as an extreme leftist.

Some Guy TT posted:

so has anyone actually seen shang chi the trailers make it seem kind of funny because awkafinas doing her bumbling millennial schtick but all the magic kung fu bits just have me going like yawn

I'll be seeing it tomorrow, will report back when I do.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

got a few more episodes into Reservation Dogs and i love it. it was clearly inspired by Atlanta if you like that show. video not a spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlSfJ6ZBbI8

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Falstaff posted:

Yes, though he's a British lib, which means he's allowed to criticize, say, US imperialism in Latin America or what have you, and therefore can come across to a US audience as an extreme leftist.
Next up: Adam Curtis's Bathroom Predators

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

lol I have no idea how anyone can watch maybe any single Adam Curtis doc and come away with a conservative moral

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Some Guy TT posted:

No jake U are just racist

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Any criticism of Shang Chi must be racist" was the same torpedo that sank Lindsay Ellis

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Any criticism of Shang Chi must be racist" was the same torpedo that sank Lindsay Ellis

I missed this, what?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

HootTheOwl posted:

I missed this, what?

she was twitter cancelled for like 20 minutes for being critical of Mulan or something

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

I missed this, what?

She said Raya was a lazy ripoff of Avatar TLB or something and twitter decided that this was because she thought all shows with asian characters were indistinguishable or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did it sink her? Wasn't it just some twitter drama?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did it sink her? Wasn't it just some twitter drama?

She made a 2 hour video as a response to it lmao.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Calico Heart posted:

lol I have no idea how anyone can watch maybe any single Adam Curtis doc and come away with a conservative moral

i guess he’s conservative in the very broad sense that he is opposed to modern life and attitudes in general, and puts the fault of the decline of effective left wing movements sorely on the (increasing anxiety and retreat into atomized culture and identity) left. if you’re a lib anyone who blames the left for their own self imposed meaninglessness must immediately be a conservative, if he were a true leftist he’d just blame those damned populists and right wingers

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

She made a 2 hour video as a response to it lmao.
Translated into content creator: Used the drama to farm more views. Though I suppose the real trick would've been to make it a video series with a lot of shorter videos.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Translated into content creator: Used the drama to farm more views. Though I suppose the real trick would've been to make it a video series with a lot of shorter videos.

apparently the consensus is very much in favour of single long videos, algorithm-wise at the moment. but yeah, it's hard not to view the whole thing with a degree of cynicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crime pays but botany doesn't: i'm truly, truly sorry (pt. 1)