Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lol holy poo poo

EDIT: This was a very bad page snype so have this delightful brand new video about being afraid of change https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD204kSuxY0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

For a very select group of very stupid players that made Max relatable, thank you very much!

i liked spirits within well enough so instead i was losing it at the phrase "tasty plasma". truly a line read that has something for everybody

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

egg tats posted:

https://youtu.be/Gg4WyuKM3xM

Mildred Thoughtslime is out here skateboarding, in public

like a hussy

(it's a p good video about adhd if you don't know much about adhd you should watch it! I'm newly diagnosed but this seems... p accurate)

Adding my recommendation to this video its one of the best explanations of living with ADHD I've seen. And I was one of the segments that pops up towards the end.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My memories of The Spirits Within are that it's a prequel to Xenosaga, since the enemies are basically the Gnosis.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Arc Hammer posted:

You ever come across a video essay, you start watching[...]?

seldom

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Takoluka posted:

My memories of The Spirits Within are that it's a prequel to Xenosaga, since the enemies are basically the Gnosis.

Symphogear also stars Basically The Gnosis as a threat, up to and including graphically disintegrating people on camera and only a few ladies can make them physical to harm them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Invictus posted:

life is strange is bad but twelve minutes still seems much worse

this. life of strange seems to at least have an overall good story and great moments and seasons, despite Chloe being an pretty unlikable in my opinion and "how you fellow kids" style writings at times. also the games heart is mostly in the right place which makes it better then some dumb pretentious trash that blew its money on rey and professor X.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

secretly best girl posted:

Symphogear also stars Basically The Gnosis as a threat, up to and including graphically disintegrating people on camera and only a few ladies can make them physical to harm them.

"Group of strange and unknowable beings with inscrutable motivations and an apparent hostility to humanity, that are immune to conventional weapons and can only be combatted by a select group of people with special powers/technology" is actually an oddly common trope in anime and Japanese video games and I think mostly stems from the success of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean anything you credit to Evangelion actually comes from Ultraman.

Relatedly, watch Kamen Rider Kuuga.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

DoctorWhat posted:

Seems like a slight downplaying of what NGE contributed to anime as a whole.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

nurmie posted:

i got the feeling i wouldn't enjoy this game basically as soon as i heard of it, and nothing i've seen or heard about it since have changed that. on the contrary, the more i see of it the more i get annoyed by this game lol

between the incest, the vapid "high-concept" chin-rubbing loving void of a story that's been hastily plugged by "shocking" twists and the compulsion to have nothing less than A-list Hollywood actors doing the voices, 12 Minutes seems to just tick every single box in the list of lovely "This Videogame Is Art, Actually" elements

It’s The Room of video games and I love it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Seems like a slight downplaying of what NGE contributed to anime as a whole.

Maybe but Anno would probably say the same thing. NGE didn't invent any of its tropes, it just helped popularize them. And while you can definitely see its immediate influence on stuff like Digimon Tamers and, yeah, Kamen Rider Kuuga, the influences go back further and the people making stuff in the late 90s and early 2000s were as much influenced by the classics as they were by contemporary successes.

Now if you want to see stuff that riffs on EVA as a classic, you gotta check out SSSS.Gridman and SSSS.Dynazenon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DoctorWhat posted:

Also the original Gundam.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

GigaPeon posted:

It’s The Room of video games and I love it.
I think thats giving the game too much credit.

12 hours feels like a condensed david cage game, interesting premise, holiwood actors involved somehow but the plot quickly goes insane and yikes at its treatmemt of women.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

12 hours feels like a condensed david cage game, interesting premise, holiwood actors involved somehow but the plot quickly goes insane and yikes at its treatmemt of women.

Don't spoil the sequel title!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DoctorWhat posted:

Weird way to Misspell Kamen Rider Ex-Aid.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

one of the same hollywood actors that david cage used, no less lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Zedd posted:

Weird way to Misspell Kamen Rider Ex-Aid.

i mean watch ex-aid if you like it's a fun, funny show

kuuga is cinema

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I will always be fascinated/entertained/repulsed by algorithmically generated stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPf9DsQ1ts&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 6, 2021

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

DoctorWhat posted:

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also the original Gundam.

And Nausicaa, almost literally in that case. The march of the giant warriors feels like a proof of concept for what eventually became NGE.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Everything comes from Violence Jack, pass it on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

And Nausicaa, almost literally in that case. The march of the giant warriors feels like a proof of concept for what eventually became NGE.

Evangelion has some roots in Anno wanting to do a movie about Princess Kushana. Asuka's backstory is basically taken from her.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

DoctorWhat posted:

Maybe but Anno would probably say the same thing. NGE didn't invent any of its tropes, it just helped popularize them. And while you can definitely see its immediate influence on stuff like Digimon Tamers and, yeah, Kamen Rider Kuuga, the influences go back further and the people making stuff in the late 90s and early 2000s were as much influenced by the classics as they were by contemporary successes.

Now if you want to see stuff that riffs on EVA as a classic, you gotta check out SSSS.Gridman and SSSS.Dynazenon.

Yes, but Evangelion popularizing these tropes was what I was talking about. I actually originally included a caveat that NGE didn't invent the trope I was talking about per se, but its broad commercial success led to a surge in the tropes it did use in subsequent media; I decided to excise that caveat as I didn't think it was necessary to include as I didn't think I actually needed to explain that Evangelion didn't invent the trope I was talking about out of whole cloth.

For pretty much any piece of media or trope/plot we can trace a long chain of influences and where a particular idea "starts" is often a very murky point far back in history, but pretty much all of the major works of Japanese sci fi from the late 90s onward that deal with an inscrutable and unknowable alien force that antagonizes humanity and is immune to conventional weaponry and can only be combatted by a select group of special individuals owes at least some debt to NGE, whether as a direct inspiration or for demonstrating to studios that those kind of plotlines are marketable.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

MonsieurChoc posted:

Evangelion has some roots in Anno wanting to do a movie about Princess Kushana. Asuka's backstory is basically taken from her.

Hell I'd be down for a movie about the March of the Cyborg Black Queen through a giant bug infested post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alaois posted:

one of the same hollywood actors that david cage used, no less lol

I'm contractually obligated to repost this image now

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's a good contract

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Beyond Two Soul's climax with Dafoe's character was so insane I had to laugh even though the scene was meant to be really serious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Emooshuns

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mr Phillby posted:

12 hours feels like a condensed david cage game

:hmmyes:

i dont know how i didnt notice the david cage connection earlier lol

it really does feel like a david cage game, even down to all the unintenionally-funny bits that end up being the most interesting thing about it

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I think this might make Defoe look even more depressed.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Flying Zamboni posted:

I think this might make Defoe look even more depressed.

hide the pain Defoe

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

i mean watch ex-aid if you like it's a fun, funny show

kuuga is cinema

All toku is cinema

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
SaltFactory's Fable II retrospective is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bCshLeNSpY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i just finished a 12 hour Oblivion retrospective video and i don't know if i would recommend it but i enjoyed it well enough

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I will forever hold on to my very good idea of a podcast where each episode is on a niche Wikipedia page, but only one host researches it, and is allowed to just add falsehoods whenever they like. The episode ends when one of the other hosts correctly identifies a falsehood.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007mf4f

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I will forever hold on to my very good idea of a podcast where each episode is on a niche Wikipedia page, but only one host researches it, and is allowed to just add falsehoods whenever they like. The episode ends when one of the other hosts correctly identifies a falsehood.

Not exactly the same, but this reminds me of a fun little game show that Tom Scott did a short run of called Disconnected. Each of the contestants take turns answering questions. When they give an answer, another contestant can challenge them. If they were wrong, they lose a point, if they were right, the challenger loses a point. Whoever goes the longest without losing all three of their points wins. It was fun!

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Mr Phillby posted:

Heh. You’re probably right. I think I lucked into a couple puzzle solutions so I never got fatigued setting stuff up so it was “a ride” from start to finish.

I wonder if the guy thought up the story first and tried to figure out a way to tell it, or if he came up with the concept of a time loop bottle episode first and it took him to the logical conclusion of imaginary incest baby

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

All toku is cinema

The episode of ex-aid where Nico pushes emu down into the water like six times is cinema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DoctorWhat posted:

The episode of ex-aid where Nico pushes emu down into the water like six times is cinema

Same but the Anhk vs Eiji beach fight from OOO.