Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

depends on how hardcore covid gets with bigger waves because they're being aggressively lovely in a stubborn way about open biden

and yes, NYC is the seat of capitalism, the de facto capital. There were already laborers organizing mass protests in the streets that were not covered by the media because of Afghanistan, so it'd have to be so bad that they're forced a coverage

well I'm sure ending UI and the eviction moratorium will bring stability to the working class so nothing to worry about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My experience has been that hospital security is usually woefully underpaid and undertrained dudes.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

[COVID-19] "Open Biden" is a direct quote

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

bedpan posted:

[COVID-19] "Open Biden" is a direct quote

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Caseman posted:

The fun thing that most people don't think about with situations like this is when you're this short-staffed it's obviously dangerous for patients, but if something gets missed by a nurse because they're overworked do you think it's the hospital that suffers? Of course not, it's the nurse who loses their license! Every single dangerous thing a nurse does they put their career on the line. It's great!

I literally applied for malpractice/liability insurance a couple weeks ago for this reason :(

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

In Training posted:

well I'm sure ending UI and the eviction moratorium will bring stability to the working class so nothing to worry about

stabilize.... the accelerationism :mmmhmm:

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

there's different degrees of Normal. Currently we are at Normal level V.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

tangy yet delightful posted:

What sorta hours did you work pre-pandemic and are you working any more hours now?

Have they raised your pay at all (like for normal shifts, not picking up these extra $1K bonus shifts)?

There's no forced overtime yet so we're all obligated to work the same hours, but plenty of RNs quit the field/specialty/hospital and despite a $20k sign-on bonus, we're consistently short staffed still

Raised our pay? Buddy, they stopped our retirement contributions (but recently restarted them)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Fireside Nut posted:

what in the gently caress is wrong with security there. loving useless

Yup. A lot of the nurses are carrying weapons there now they are so scared. Of course you will get fired for actually having a weapon on you but a small pair of super sharp scissors is considered a tool so someone is definitely gonna get an artery opened up soon if things don't calm down.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1434580405299159044?s=20

"days after father dies of COVID, son volunteers to help others join him"

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurtilik posted:

I thought we were going to have like 3.3 million in the US dead within like a year. Which might make me sound like the real doomer but I thought it was going to kill quick and burn itself out. Now it's going to kill 5 million over 6 years.

Therapeutics in the pipeline might keep the unvaccinated out of the hospital and out of the morgue, but even the Pfizer protease inhibitor is a 5-day treatment that's given after you test positive, so who knows if in a ~8 day window there's enough time to stop symptomatic COVID/Long COVID

I expect another 18 months of death waves and then another couple years of people getting diagnosed with brain fog

Mu could change everything though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jetz0r posted:

Covid really was the trial run for climate change. And in the scope of climate change, currently we're in the first little wave of infections from spring 2020.

32 pinnochios, get therapy

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

There's no forced overtime yet so we're all obligated to work the same hours, but plenty of RNs quit the field/specialty/hospital and despite a $20k sign-on bonus, we're consistently short staffed still

Raised our pay? Buddy, they stopped our retirement contributions (but recently restarted them)

Haha ok I was expecting the raised pay answer to be "lol no"

Stopped your retirement contributions is another crack ping from me.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SchrodingersCat posted:

I remember back in March 2020 I was talking to my child brother who kept saying COVID was just the flu. I predicted 500k dead and thought that was a tragedy. We're gonna pass a million by Christmas.

With numbers now being totally hosed by the Biden administration there's no way to know how bad it really is except by the fact that when I go out in public almost everywhere is dead.

The US will never cross 1 million deaths. Ever. Record keeping will get steadily worse as we asymptotically approach one million, until eventually COVID is over but pneumonia deaths are getting out of control

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurtilik posted:

security is usually woefully underpaid and undertrained dudes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

thiccabod posted:

Personally I'm still waiting for the Mad Max Hellscape version of America that 90% of cpam was insistent we'd be living in by easter of 2020. When I do get to shoot my neighbor in defense of my beans???

you missed your chance around may and june of last year

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

is Mu the next one. I thought we were "reaching the variant ceiling" with delta+

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
is there a good write up of how we should have responded to covid over the past 18 months anywhere?

I’m trying to convince someone to get vaccinated because they can’t rely on Biden to do the right thing, so I’d really love to have a “Covid occurs in a better timeline” write up

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I work in healthcare metrics for Medicare credentialing and recently NCQA has decided that customer healthcare experience surveys are every bit as important as health outcomes and have instituted a thing they call CAHPS to measure how satisfied they are as customers.

Produce good outcomes but people are upset about waiting on hold too long when they call? Eat poo poo buddy, enjoy your poor rating.

the consumerization of healthcare is disgusting. there are some legit quality related changes that are a small positive, but a lot of it is just capitalism’s continued destruction of the industry.

I remember we had this CMO over the cancer institute whose big ‘vision’ was a concierge service for cancer patients. and, no, this wasn’t about care coordination and healthcare related stuff, he wanted this to be a line you could call and have them make dinner reservations and schedule you a taxi. I think they got like a few calls a month until they realized it was costing the hospital an insane amount of money for the worst idea ever. he took a job with one of competitors shortly after lmao it must own to make like $750k a year to come up with inane poo poo like that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pillowpants posted:

is there a good write up of how we should have responded to covid over the past 18 months anywhere?

I’m trying to convince someone to get vaccinated because they can’t rely on Biden to do the right thing, so I’d really love to have a “Covid occurs in a better timeline” write up

watch contagion or any pre-2019 "pandemic horror" movie

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah, I checked in on the thread to ask about mu. Some articles say its a minor South American variant thats already over and doesn't hold a candle to delta, and some articles claim mu cannot be stopped by vaccines and is coming to end humanity. Kinda hard to tell whats true without investing a lot of time reading medical journals, so instead I thought Id ask a bunch of obsessive weirdos who do read medical journals

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

I remember back in March 2020 I was talking to my child brother who kept saying COVID was just the flu. I predicted 500k dead and thought that was a tragedy. We're gonna pass a million by Christmas.

With numbers now being totally hosed by the Biden administration there's no way to know how bad it really is except by the fact that when I go out in public almost everywhere is dead.

Where do you go in public that is dead, cuz everywhere I pass by or get takeout from is full-on 100% Open Biden

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i am kind of curious, the general public always mentions the 'supernero nurses and doctors' but what the gently caress happens to all the hospital support staff? do the cleaners, janitors, etc get offered the same amount of high quality ppe, pathogen training and ensuring they know about pathogens? do they get therapy to deal with turning over a bed because the person in it has died, again, every single day? or is it all just min wage contracted work? how is that compatible with spread given lower income means higher likelihood of being in a multigeneration home with multiple members that are old or can't be vaccinated?

for some reason i never read anything about this

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, I checked in on the thread to ask about mu. Some articles say its a minor South American variant thats already over and doesn't hold a candle to delta, and some articles claim mu cannot be stopped by vaccines and is coming to end humanity. Kinda hard to tell whats true without investing a lot of time reading medical journals, so instead I thought Id ask a bunch of obsessive weirdos who do read medical journals

fauci said mu was nothing to worry about so we're all preparing for it to be the notable variant for the first 2022 peak

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Zurtilik posted:

My experience has been that hospital security is usually woefully underpaid and undertrained dudes.

Yeah you’re certainly correct. We seem to be an exception to the rule and have a decent department for whatever it’s worth

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Biowarfare posted:

i am kind of curious, the general public always mentions the 'supernero nurses and doctors' but what the gently caress happens to all the hospital support staff? do the cleaners, janitors, etc get offered the same amount of high quality ppe, pathogen training and ensuring they know about pathogens? do they get therapy to deal with turning over a bed because the person in it has died, again, every single day? or is it all just min wage contracted work? how is that compatible with spread given lower income means higher likelihood of being in a multigeneration home with multiple members that are old or can't be vaccinated?

what timeline do you think you're in here lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

wait...

did someone in here say close biden?

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

In Training posted:

is Mu the next one. I thought we were "reaching the variant ceiling" with delta+

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

every variant is funky kong edition if you've got the right mindset

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I quit nursing when a provider got so mad that he had to sign his orders on the computer that he threw a keyboard at me (I just happened to be in the area), and hospital administration did nothing because "he's an important surgeon!" :qq:

Now I'm a healthcare computer toucher and I make a poo poo ton more money than I ever did as a nurse and I never get assaulted anymore!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Biowarfare posted:

absolutely. An open ICU room isn’t much good if it isn’t clean…

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Biowarfare posted:

Mhm Mhm, *consults notes* gently caress 'em. NEXT.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

what timeline do you think you're in here lol

thanks, i've successfully parsed your response as "min wage contractor 0 benefit 0 sick leave, finds out they're cleaning out an ebola patient's room from the grapevine two days after they do it"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fireside Nut posted:

the consumerization of healthcare is disgusting. there are some legit quality related changes that are a small positive, but a lot of it is just capitalism’s continued destruction of the industry.

I remember we had this CMO over the cancer institute whose big ‘vision’ was a concierge service for cancer patients. and, no, this wasn’t about care coordination and healthcare related stuff, he wanted this to be a line you could call and have them make dinner reservations and schedule you a taxi. I think they got like a few calls a month until they realized it was costing the hospital an insane amount of money for the worst idea ever. he took a job with one of competitors shortly after lmao it must own to make like $750k a year to come up with inane poo poo like that

As a former cancer patient, it would have been cool to have chemo days catered or have somebody take care of the work of being alive for the day or two post chemo, but why the gently caress would that be the hospital's job unless I was inpatient? Spend that money on getting better comfy reclining chairs for the two hours I'm strapped in, maybe a little movie screen or something

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

The US will never cross 1 million deaths. Ever. Record keeping will get steadily worse as we asymptotically approach one million, until eventually COVID is over but pneumonia deaths are getting out of control

yeah i'm going with this, fits the whole collapsing empire motif pretty well

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Biowarfare posted:

Environmental services staff at most hospitals I've worked at don't speak good English, are terrified of losing their jobs, and are thus susceptible to being extremely hosed over at every turn by administration.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

With Covid defeated, the number of Americans dying peacefully at home in their beds surrounded by loving families has increased exponentially! These freedom loving individuals fought the good fight against the now defeated Covid pandemic and are now taking a well deserved rest.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Hungry posted:

26 hours after Pfizer shot number 3, and I ache literally from head to toe, with every joint in my body, and have done for the last 12 hours.

Is that similar to your shot number 2?

I'm a little under 24 hours from shot 3. My arm is a little sore near the injection site, and a wave of drowsiness just hit me. Otherwise I'm fine. Shot 2 was more or less the same.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

fosborb posted:

lol

lmao

My school district has done more than others (Was fully distanced 3/4 of the year last year, is requiring masks for all staff and students, upgraded the woefully outdated HVAC in buildings) but it's still not enough because they are very much "Following the guidance of the CDC"

My union has asked for simple things like "N95's for all staff", "Paid sick leave for people who test positive for Covid", "Child care leave for people whose kids test positive", "A clear COVID plan communicated to all staff and families" and "Require all staff to be vaccinated" (plus a ton of other reasonable stuff that still isn't enough but is something!) and the district just said "Yeah lol no. Open Biden."

Not exactly excited about what the next few weeks are gonna bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

In Training posted:

Mu is a promising high school player, delta is the league dominating star player.