Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
really fecal take from the guy quoting... Diddy?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

SimonChris posted:

In Gattaca all of the loudspeaker announcements are in both Esperanto and English because obviously Esperanto has become a global world language by then.

Same with Red Dwarf (the UK sci-fi sitcom that started in the 80s, for those unaware)

Signs on Red Dwarf are often in English and Esperanto, and there are quite a few jokes about it in the first two series.

The books go into more detail than the show does.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GazChap posted:

That's Red Dwarf!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mzuri posted:

The word "racism" was uttered, so there's no need to elaborate because everything is about race all the time.

A quick perusal of your rap sheet suggests that you should maybe familiarize yourself with how the forums have evolved over the last two decades.

It also looks like you did a good job of not posting for most of that time, so you could just commit harder to that!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GazChap posted:

Same with Red Dwarf (the UK sci-fi sitcom that started in the 80s, for those unaware)

Signs on Red Dwarf are often in English and Esperanto, and there are quite a few jokes about it in the first two series.

The book series Magic 2.0 has one set of wizards using Esperantu for their spells because it was invented hundreds of years in the future and there's basically 0 chance any of the local people will know it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
As a thread palate cleanser, I'd encourage everyone to Google Enrico Palazzo.

I need to watch Police Squad and Naked Gun again...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Google's default photos for the characters are all in-movie stills or promo shots. All except Nordberg for some reason :thunk:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s black

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That trial was his best acting performance, so it makes some sense.

Even trying to sway the conversation from racism I find more racism. Sorry, America.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Krispy Wafer posted:

As a thread palate cleanser, I'd encourage everyone to Google Enrico Palazzo.

I need to watch Police Squad and Naked Gun again...

There’s a great obit on the ESPN page

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby_101129_enrico_pallazzo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I forgot exactly where it was in the movie but in Apocalypse Now Col Kurtz wrote a paper on the Howling Wilderness campaign in the Philippines which is one of those things that in hindsight might have been a red flag

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Milo and POTUS posted:

I forgot exactly where it was in the movie but in Apocalypse Now Col Kurtz wrote a paper on the Howling Wilderness campaign in the Philippines which is one of those things that in hindsight might have been a red flag

It’s probably on screen during the voiceover about his earlier service history? I’ve seen this film a lot and it’s not in the dialogue that I recall. Also it’s so subtle that not only have I never noticed it in the film, I’d never even heard of the action. It made interesting reading, thanks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Looking at my Plex server this morning:

...?

Imagined has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Sep 9, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PLEASE tell me that the family dog is just Ozzy Osbourne in a dog costume who just randomly goes "woof woof" through the movie.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Randalor posted:

PLEASE tell me that the family dog is just Ozzy Osbourne in a dog costume who just randomly goes "SHAROOOOOON!" through the movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gets injured, and the dog yelps "Aie, aie, aie...."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm adding "Ozzy Osbourne dressed as a dog randomly walking through scenes screaming "SHAROOOOON!'" to my list of things that would improve any film.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Sunswipe posted:

I'm adding "Ozzy Osbourne dressed as a dog randomly walking through scenes screaming "SHAROOOOON!'" to my list of things that would improve any film.

"I can't carry the ring for you Mr. Frodo, but i can car-"

"SHAAAAROOOONNN. Whatthafuck arr these midgets doing here? There's loving lava!"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shauroooon

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Randalor posted:

PLEASE tell me that the family dog is just Ozzy Osbourne in a dog costume who just randomly goes "woof woof" through the movie.

Finally a rival to that movie where Gary Busey is a dog :prepop:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just watched the first episode of apple TV's Foundation series. I never read the books, but it's good so far. Even if I wasn't interested in the story, the sets, costumes and production design are rad. Also Jared Harris absolutely owns, not that you should expect anything less.

But I'm posting itt because in the episode's big dramatic moment Lee Pace's character rushes to look out at the destruction. He's shirtless, and you see his incredible physique. Abs, pecs, the gun show, a hint of dong through his pjs. But... he doesn't have a belly button. Earlier in the episode its stated he is a clone. So he wasn't born 'normally' and wouldn't have needed one. They must have removed it digitally. They could have left it in and nobody would have noticed.

deoju has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Sep 28, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm curious about Foundation but very very cautious due to the nature of the first book being several short stories that each feature a different lead character and take place decades or centuries apart, the sort of thing where you have to make a radical departure from the source if you want it to work at all.

Prelude To Foundation would have been a better starting point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's a cool subtle moment. But why the hell is it even there that makes no sense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

flavor.flv posted:

Airlines were looking for an excuse to drop them because the profit margins weren't as high

Fun fact about Concorde fares: When the margins were really tight, they polled some passengers about how much they thought a ticket cost. Remember, if you were flying on the Concorde, your assistant actually booked the flight for you. When the survey responses all came in at much higher than the actual price they raised the fare to reflect that. Didn't help enough to keep them going after the accident, no.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Fun fact about Concorde fares: When the margins were really tight, they polled some passengers about how much they thought a ticket cost. Remember, if you were flying on the Concorde, your assistant actually booked the flight for you. When the survey responses all came in at much higher than the actual price they raised the fare to reflect that. Didn't help enough to keep them going after the accident, no.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“They tell me it can turn on a dime. Whatever that is.”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm curious about Foundation but very very cautious due to the nature of the first book being several short stories that each feature a different lead character and take place decades or centuries apart, the sort of thing where you have to make a radical departure from the source if you want it to work at all.

Prelude To Foundation would have been a better starting point.

The reviews aren't very good. Every 3rd review site is jumping on the chance to say "They called it unfilmable. They were right."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The reviews aren't very good. Every 3rd review site is jumping on the chance to say "They called it unfilmable. They were right."

I think it would have been a good setting for an anthology series set over the 500? years the Foundation books were set, but that's more because you could make a point of showing settings decay over that time while having the changes be more believable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My parents flew on Concorde a bunch in the 80s and they always booked themselves :shrug:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'm enjoying the Foundation series so far. And as a big fan of the books, I think they're doing a great job. It's pretty, good acting, and taking some of the fun ideas of the books.

Anyone who wants a literal translation of the original story doesn't understand the difference between books and movies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There is a wise gap between what it is, and a literal translation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The super rich don't fly commercial.

And they are never flying urgently.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Im almost too embarassed to say this, but i rewatched blades of glory and i noticed something that probably isn't really subtle unless youre a big dumbo like myself, but it didnt register the first time I watched it and it made me lol out loud irl. Craig t. Nelson, star of hit sitcom Coach, plays a figure skating coach referred to exclusively as Coach throughout the movie

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That movie has aged astonishingly well - you'd expect it to be a bunch of homophobic jokes about men dancing together, but it's not - the whole point is that the characters initially think along those lines, and the spectators do as well, but by the time they are performing, they have long since stopped caring. THEY know that they aren't gay, no matter how slamming together on the ice dicks first might make them look, they are just making art and doing what they love. Just boiled down to "Everyone's staring at us..." "Let 'em stare. Let's do this!"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

That movie has aged astonishingly well - you'd expect it to be a bunch of homophobic jokes about men dancing together, but it's not - the whole point is that the characters initially think along those lines, and the spectators do as well, but by the time they are performing, they have long since stopped caring. THEY know that they aren't gay, no matter how slamming together on the ice dicks first might make them look, they are just making art and doing what they love. Just boiled down to "Everyone's staring at us..." "Let 'em stare. Let's do this!"

Yeah i love it. I lied in my initial post I must have seen it ten times:cabot:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

There should be 1000% more movies about figure skating.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I know I know it's anime but Yuri on Ice is fabulous.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Escobarbarian posted:

My parents flew on Concorde a bunch in the 80s and they always booked themselves :shrug:

Your parents are poor hth

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mescal posted:

I, Tonya was great. One of my top 10 movies of the last 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mescal posted:

Slapshot sequel