Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Today I went to a CD store. I ended up buying a New Order album but what I was really excited about was an album called Froth by a band called Vaginal Discharge.

I guess they had records there too? Anyway that’s my post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Crack whores rule, i can confirm

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

Crack whores rule, i can confirm

Eh, you always say that

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this thread should basically include CDs, i think its what we're all gonna move to when vinyl completely collapses and it's literally impossible to get anything other than limited mondo releases of lovely 32x game soundtracks

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Garbage Hole.
I told you to stop calling me that.

I spent the entire day playing the new No Man's Sky update on mute and blasting these bad boys that I found one day in a freebie bin:

Chill-rear end Saturday.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 5, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

I told you to stop calling me that.

I spent the entire day playing the new No Man's Sky update on mute and blasting these bad boys that I found one day in a freebie bin:

Chill-rear end Saturday.

You still paid too much.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

caligulamprey posted:

I do need that, but is 2.0 coming back around, too? 'Cause I extra need that one.

Yeah. Both dropped on the same day. This is the new 2.0 release.

https://www.discogs.com/Garbage-Version-20/release/19927396

I have the earlier collector box for that already though

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

abraham linksys posted:

this thread should basically include CDs, i think its what we're all gonna move to when vinyl completely collapses and it's literally impossible to get anything other than limited mondo releases of lovely 32x game soundtracks

Nah. When society starts to collapse and the grid fails in a couple years, vinyl is the only medium that you can play without electricity!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

abraham linksys posted:

I’m sortof there already. Some of the nearby record stores do 10 used CDs for 5eur around me, with plenty of decent stuff in there. At that price I’m very into it. 0.5eur for an album is not a bad deal.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

abraham linksys posted:

Agreed. I was anti-CD (more ignored than anti) for the past 5-10 years but coming around. It's a CD buyers market right now.

I think it was the Garth Brooks box sets that changed things for me. I actually finally gave one of them to a friend today when I dropped off some edibles. They're going to have a fantastic night I imagine.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I have been buying more CD's as of late. Mostly for archival purposes, but buying CD's at least once or two a week. Depending on what I'm looking for.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CaptainBeefart posted:

Agreed. I was anti-CD (more ignored than anti) for the past 5-10 years but coming around. It's a CD buyers market right now.

Hell yeah it is, CDs are cheap and easy to buy! That and since no one is really looking at them it's still possible to find cool poo poo in a thrift store.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Hell yeah it is, CDs are cheap and easy to buy! That and since no one is really looking at them it's still possible to find cool poo poo in a thrift store.

One time I bought a copy of Phish - Farmhouse at a Salvation Army but when I got into the car the cd inside was Santana - Supernatural. There’s a lesson in there somewhere but I don’t know what it is.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

One time I bought a copy of Phish - Farmhouse at a Salvation Army but when I got into the car the cd inside was Santana - Supernatural. There’s a lesson in there somewhere but I don’t know what it is.

God laughs at your Phish related plans.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

dorium posted:

That and always check the disc if you can for scratches, correctness, and existence. I got real good at popping jewel cases open at the hinge when the thrift store decided to combat theft by packing taping cases shut. Eventually they gave up on the idea probably because it cost them a fortune in tape with no real benefit.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

My other cd related story is my friend who bought a used car that had billy Joel’s greatest hits stuck in the CD player and every time he turned the car on piano man would start up.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm definitely okay with people posting the occasional cd in here, especially when it's weird or obscure poo poo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For the first time in my life I will be visiting a record store later today.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Roth posted:

For the first time in my life I will be visiting a record store later today.

Buy something good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Buy something good

I'll try

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've been spending a lot of time considering going back to CDs lately. Everything just being a cash grab sucked all the fun out of record collecting and even though I do prefer the sound of vinyl LPs I'm just getting to that point where I kind of don't care anymore. I can't wait for CDs to be 30 bucks a pop two years from now.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Always be posting dank poo poo.

It should be full of neon gel, but that poo poo dried up even before I bought it at a Boredoms show in Hollywood. A friend snapped the spine in two. I don't let him borrow things anymore.

This one is from the era of The Residents where they were scrambling around trying to figure out how to combat piracy, so they started doing gimmick physical releases. They still stick to gorgeous hardback books for their CDs, but River of Crime! was (as always: ahead of the curve) a narrative true crime podcast they released online biweekly in 2006. You'd buy the release, which came with a download code and two CDRs. You'd listen to the eps as they came out then burn it all to the CDRs after it wrapped.

God, the 3D Poser Software era was dogshit.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 6, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got a headache so I just went home and instead

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CD's around here are kinda expensive. 5-10 bucks used.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Always be posting dank poo poo.

It should be full of neon gel, but that poo poo dried up even before I bought it at a Boredoms show in Hollywood. A friend snapped the spine in two. I don't let him borrow things anymore.

Super Are just might be my favorite song ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2vqPHUw7s

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

hexwren posted:

I'm definitely okay with people posting the occasional cd in here, especially when it's weird or obscure poo poo

I too will allow it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Felt better so I managed to stop by an hour or so before closing. $1 bin had a bunch of weird stuff in it like Robert Redford narrating wolf "music" so I think I'm convinced that a turntable and bargain bin records are a worthwhile purchase.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Finally got to spin this tonight.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
On CD related talk, there's also so much cool stuff that never was pressed on vinyl from the late 90s/early 00s.

One thing that comes to mind for me (as a Swede) is Rock 'n' Roll Highscool by Teddybears STHLM
https://www.discogs.com/Teddybears-Sthlm-Rock-n-Roll-Highschool/release/375064
which is a loving insanely good album (won album of the year in Sweden when it came out) and costs like 1eur used on discogs, or any second hand store CD bin over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9EMmKq90A is so good, but the entire album is great.

Really wish they'd do a vinyl pressing of this at some point.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

CD's around here are kinda expensive. 5-10 bucks used.

:siren:IT'S ALREADY STARTING!:siren:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I already wasted 90% of my spare income in the 90s/early 2000s collecting CDs, not gonna go through that again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have bought CDs in recent memory, mostly if they were the most reasonable way to get an album. But if I get a CD I'll rip it and 100% of the time thereafter I'll listen to the files and never touch the CD again, at which point it has little value as an object and only takes up space. Whereas I'll play my records even if I do have an album on hard drive and even as objects taking up space they're nicer to look at.

I still have a ton of CDs too but mostly as memorabilia/for nostalgia.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Most of my CDs are ripped. I just keep them in a box in the basement just in case I have my hard drive fail. I probably only have 75 or so so they don't take up too much space.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I listen to cds in the car all the time because the steaming/Bluetooth quality is so poo poo in comparison.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I have been thinking about tossing jewel cases and just keeping the discs on a binder though, but i’d like something for the inserts/booklets too. Must exist some good storage binder that holds both in a more soace efficient way

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Buffis posted:

I have been thinking about tossing jewel cases and just keeping the discs on a binder though, but i’d like something for the inserts/booklets too. Must exist some good storage binder that holds both in a more soace efficient way

https://spacesavingsleeves.com/

I use these for storage. Massively cutdown how much space they take up. Though I still have digipacks/carboard sleeve stuff around because at least there's something interesting with the packaging.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only CDs I’ve acquired in the last 10 years are from buying concert tickets and them mailing me the newest album (admittedly kinda cool) and a few promo things. I’m glad to leave them behind personally, MP3s completely eclipsing them with practically zero downside was always the endgame for digital music.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only CDs I’ve acquired in the last 10 years are from buying concert tickets and them mailing me the newest album (admittedly kinda cool) and a few promo things. I’m glad to leave them behind personally, MP3s completely eclipsing them with practically zero downside was always the endgame for digital music.

Yeah this pretty much. I ripped my entire collection to FLAC a few years back, and my car can play those natively from an SD card so I'm pretty well covered.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I collect a lot of John Zorn / Tzadik stuff, so I still buy CDs and they are expensive!

But that might just be the particular things I'm collecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I think the last CDs I bought were a couple Charisma.com albums since buying Japanese music digitally is a pain.