Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's the first book lol

lol. wheel of time is the family guy of fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kernel Sanders posted:

lol. wheel of time is the family guy of fantasy.

holy crap l’ois

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol like bad reviews are gonna stop me from seeing DUNC. no one liked Lynch's either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm still going to see it at cinesphere, assuming they show it after the TIFF opening. i have no doubt it's absolutely gorgeous

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

RokosCockatrice posted:

Back to the Future 4 is going to star a tesla cyber truck

Quote this post in 2035 when this inevitably comes to pass

the truck or the movie?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"setup for the second half" is exactly what the first half of Dune is. If it's accurate to the novel and has cinematography like villeneuve's other movies, I don't give a gently caress what some reviewer thinks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Guardian gave it 5* and Ebert liked it so it can't be trash.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

pointsofdata posted:

Ebert liked it so it can't be trash.
a what now

mystes
May 31, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

The Guardian gave it 5* and Ebert liked it so it can't be trash.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/shreyabasu003/status/1433886205670838274

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
smoked up and got on the first 3 eps of wandavision last night. pretty cool

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mystes posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

ebert became a movie review group as he got older, using his name as the group's title, which isn't confusing at all when the man himself is dead

that said, ebert had a soft spot for scifi films, though he panned the 1984 dune. the review is pretty on the nose https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/dune-1984

having started a rewatch recently, i forgot how much i forgave the film when i was younger. i hadn't read the books then, so maybe the beluga of plot and characters was more overwhelming and mysterious and the effects looked better on my tv with features such as stereo sound and cable-ready (didn't have cable)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Agile Vector posted:

ebert became a movie review group as he got older, using his name as the group's title, which isn't confusing at all when the man himself is dead

ebert is a famous reviewer and idfk what a “review group” is, and it was referred to solely by said famous reviewer’s name, it’s absolutely confusing and stupid lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

smoked up and got on the first 3 eps of wandavision last night. pretty cool

there's a making of series for the marvel shows (titled Assembled, natch) and a bit of it covers the openings of each episode. the couple that composed them did a great job capturing the style for each one, they fit really well in my opinion

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

indigi posted:

ebert is a famous reviewer and idfk what a “review group” is, and it was referred to solely by said famous reviewer’s name, it’s absolutely confusing and stupid lol

oh for sure, like even when he was alive he was under his umbrella… brand?… of reviewers, so I had to double check if it was him or not which is absurd

roger ebert's roger ebert film review

looking into it, I guess he assembled the other reviewers and his wife and friend run it now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
eberts assemble!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

ebert is the electronic version of bert (from sesame street)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chris Knight posted:

eberts assemble!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Truman Peyote posted:

ebert is the electronic version of bert (from sesame street)
Also a distant predecessor of qbert.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

i watched all but the last season. it’s not great. i hope you like comic book schlock

okay, thanks, but i specifically want to know how soon (if ever) the tone shifts back to the more positive feel of the start of the show. i can tolerate a lot of schlock, but it feels like the show is setting up for at least a season of depressing, oppressive poo poo, and i'm already watching mr roboto and living in the year 2021 and i don't need any more of that in my life

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

holy crap l’ois

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

bump_fn posted:

holy crap l’ois

I’m sure this is a fantastic pun but it’s been too long since I read the books to be able to decipher it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ymgve posted:

protip: knife plants to get seeds

works irl too

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i tried to read wheel of time and it was 400 pages of walking and i dont even think i was halfway done with that pos

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rjmccall posted:

okay, thanks, but i specifically want to know how soon (if ever) the tone shifts back to the more positive feel of the start of the show. i can tolerate a lot of schlock, but it feels like the show is setting up for at least a season of depressing, oppressive poo poo, and i'm already watching mr roboto and living in the year 2021 and i don't need any more of that in my life

if you liked the feeling of the show in the first season, the maybe check out here i guess. the rest of the show was more like the second season. they lay off a bit on the severe brain damage causing a speech impediment in a main character that’s a bummer to watch whenever he’s on screen, but from s2 on out the emotional theme of the show is basically about the characters dealing with loss and various tragedies

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if the following doesn’t sound fun to you, probably you don’t need to watch the show:

an alternate version of one of the main characters spends a whole season basically as dr. mengele working for the nazis and doing torturing and horrific human experiments and then that alternate version characters brain is merged with the real main character and for the rest of the run of the show the main character has to deal with those memories and fight the urge to abuse and murder his friends and family which lives within him, and dealing with the thoughts that the evil version was more accomplished and better than him

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

if the following doesn’t sound fun to you, probably you don’t need to watch the show:

an alternate version of one of the main characters spends a whole season basically as dr. mengele working for the nazis and doing torturing and horrific human experiments and then that alternate version characters brain is merged with the real main character and for the rest of the run of the show the main character has to deal with those memories and fight the urge to abuse and murder his friends and family which lives within him

Huh, that doesn't actually sound extremely fun to me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

an alternate version of one of the main characters spends a whole season basically as dr. mengele working for the nazis and doing torturing and horrific human experiments and then that alternate version characters brain is merged with the real main character and for the rest of the run of the show the main character has to deal with those memories and fight the urge to abuse and murder his friends and family which lives within him, and dealing with the thoughts that the evil version was more accomplished and better than him

lol brilliant

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i didn't think i'd be able to care less about a marvel show but here we are

i actually liked luke cage pretty well tbh

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I love when writers are like “how do we make people take this seriously,,,, our art is important and not just a show for bored teens and stunted adults and needs to be properly understood….. I know let’s introduce a maniac sadist who winds up giving all the main characters PTSD as a plot point”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

I love when writers are like “how do we make people take this seriously,,,, our art is important and not just a show for bored teens and stunted adults and needs to be properly understood….. I know let’s introduce a maniac sadist who winds up giving all the main characters PTSD as a plot point”

agents of shield had a maniac sadist who gave one of the main characters severe brain damage at the end of s1 and then a plot point of s2 was that character having a severe speech impediment and being unable to formulate long term plans, and all the other main characters trying to figure out how to keep him around and deal with his emotional outbursts of frustration without making him feel useless

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/captain_faq/status/1434318919297159169

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im considering watching apocalypse now again for movie night. i was kinda disappointed in the first samurai trilogy movie

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

agents of shield had a maniac sadist who gave one of the main characters severe brain damage at the end of s1 and then a plot point of s2 was that character having a severe speech impediment and being unable to formulate long term plans, and all the other main characters trying to figure out how to keep him around and deal with his emotional outbursts of frustration without making him feel useless

:discourse:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rjmccall posted:

so i’m a couple episodes into the second season of agents of shield, and it’s a heavy soapy drama where everybody’s crushed with the weight of responsibility, or deeply worried, or disaffected, or brain-damaged, and nobody is having any fun at all. i assume it can’t go on like this for another 120 episodes, but still, i’m not sure i can take much more of it. can i get a rough estimate of what i’m in for?

we started it earlier this summer:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoverwife is watching agents of shield and goddamn this is way way more comicbook-ey than i was expecting, they reeeeaaaaally leaned into it

also lol i totally called it that they would kill off one of them as soon as there were two black dudes on the team

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoverwife is binging her way through agents of shield and it's hilarious how comic book-ey it's become

multiple characters have been killed and resurrected, one of the main heroes is on her character's third renaming, and now people are being replaced by robot imposters

they are really leaning into it

and didn't finish, lol stopped when the whole team goes to an alternate future space station

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 6, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think that season their budget must have been cut back. they got to shoot the entire season on a leftover star trek soundstage or something and never even go outside or build other sets

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

decided on uncut gems

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

i think that season their budget must have been cut back. they got to shoot the entire season on a leftover star trek soundstage or something and never even go outside or build other sets

was it a netflix production?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It did get cut back, it’s a time travel storyline so they can use the same set twice with different dressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doesn't 1 of the main characters in agent of shield die in one of the avengers movies? Is the whole series supposed to be set before all that happens?