Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SerthVarnee posted:

Interesting. In Denmark you will not get a booster until at least ten years have passed, and then only after some sort of relevant injury occurs. In Sweden you don't get one until 20 years have passed and then also only after a relevant injury occurs. This is stressful as a Dane living in Sweden, since the intensity of the booster is presumably different between the two nations, but the Swedes insist on going by their rules and presume that the Danish booster is the same as the Swedish booster.

Oh, it's roughly the same here, the rule-of-thumb for adults is your last booster shot shouldn't be older than 10 years, it's not like they bug you annually to get your booster.
When you get bad cuts or moderately-sized open wounds outdoors, they'll generally suggest an immediate booster shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Stravag posted:

There was something like that with the army jrotc i went through. I thought it was if you went jrotc rotc then joined you recieved a step up on the people who only did rotc but i was in like 8th grade when they mentioned that and could be 100% wrong.

I did Navy JROTC (pre-9/11) and this was a thing then too. At my school you had to take two years of either PE or JROTC. So the juniors and seniors were the true believer types that were really into it, but probably half of the sophomores and freshmen were nerdy kids who didn't want to get bullied in PE.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Every US doctor said I should get a booster between 5-10 years; which runs right along with how often I get hurt enough to have a Doctor look.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
In my experience here in Québec if you can’t remember the last time you got a tetanus booster and it’s not in your file at that specific ER, they’ll just give you the shot as part of treatment if you have any kind of open wound.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I treat vaccines like I use any other drug- take it whenever it's offered.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

On Friday, internet host 'GoDaddy' told the Texas website that collected reports about abortion providers in Texas to GTFO. Now, the new host that the site moved to has also told them they can't do that poo poo here. They were not kicked-off the host in exchange for disabling the info collection portion of the site.

https://twitter.com/CatEmbedded/status/1434317058620207105

The law in Texas that went into effect at the start of the month allows anyone to sue an abortion provider for damages. My understanding is that the website does not share any proceeds from the lawsuit with tipsters — their business model seems to be "thanks for the tip, we'll investigate, *nyoink*"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

They'll find a web host just fine in a bit of time. The free market provides.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Probably a server in russia

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

St. Louis doc

https://twitter.com/StLouisLung/status/1434466871248621568?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Best Friends posted:

They'll find a web host just fine in a bit of time. The free market provides.

Epik, the one that gave them the boot above, is the right wing host of last resort that hosts 8vhan, daily stormer, gab, parler, etc

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I feel for him, but I've seen projections. It's not even *close*. Even a sub-kiloton detonation in the right place in a city would completely paralyze a region with regards to medical resources. Walk-in clinics would have to be repurposed as non-critical ER spaces.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I feel for him, but I've seen projections. It's not even *close*. Even a sub-kiloton detonation in the right place in a city would completely paralyze a region with regards to medical resources. Walk-in clinics would have to be repurposed as non-critical ER spaces.

Never mind the hojillion people who would show up with spurious radiation sickness/cancer complaints in the first 24 hours.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

Never mind the hojillion people who would show up with spurious radiation sickness/cancer complaints in the first 24 hours.

That's one of the reason for the modifications of walk-in clinics. Standalone ERs, as well as regional and satellite hospital ER and Trauma Centers would be completely wrecked within a 100+ mile radius.

People who lived in the suburbs would be going insane about ~radiation sickness~ when their symptoms are those of a garden variety panic attack, which would cause rashes, which would just exacerbate the :supaburn:ing.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Also the people who need their stomachs pumped bc they heard that chugging dog shampoo prevents radiation sickness

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

Also the people who need their stomachs pumped bc they heard that chugging dog shampoo prevents radiation sickness

Not even that. You'd have people chugging iodine like Red Bull and giving themselves a thyroid storm and/or lapsing into comas.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He said what it feels like.
It's a common turn of phrase to make a point of the horror. Do you also 'well, actually' when the phrase was used to describe what used to be neighborhoods in Fallujah or Belgrade?

You picked the absolute dumbest possible objection to a dude who spent 12 hours wading through the dead, and making decisions that no one can win. You are ignoring the man's entire point to win an argument no one made.

If I misread the tone, I apologize, but this makes you sound like a dicktwat. Again, I'm a grouchy old man, so I may have misread the tone, and am sensitive about stuff.

E-seems like I'm the dicktwat in the conversation, since I'm the only one reading it that way. My bad, yo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

If I misread the tone, I apologize, but this makes you sound like a dicktwat. Again, I'm a grouchy old man, so I may have misread the tone, and am sensitive about stuff.

You did. I was by no means discounting the guy's anguish.

That aside, I could've worded it better.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You did. I was by no means discounting the guy's anguish.

That aside, I could've worded it better.

I was editing as you were responding. Apologies.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kfile/status/1434529815114272774?s=21

Deplatforming concern trolls of yesteryear(s) can shove it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I kinda read it the same as bulletsponge13, so maybe a little poorly phrased.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

https://twitter.com/StLouisLung/status/1432583535680950275

this dude rules

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I read it as "this amount of death is enough to make it feel apocalyptic. From what I understand, there are things that could be even more horrific". Could be worded differently but then again what couldn't.

Kind of like the apocryphal story about the ww1 staff officer visiting the front and breaking down in tears, only to be answered with "oh don't worry we are only at the outskirts yet, it gets much worse up ahead".

Text is well recognised as a bit dry and featureless compared to other forms in human communication. It should probably be sued for damages, honestly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/FutbolBible/status/1434596400361361419

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It should probably be sued for damages, honestly.

yeh, I just wanted to support the "this can be misread" angle, not pile on.
I will say I appreciated the bleak outlook on what happens in a real nuke situation

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I liked the doctors statement but yeah recognize it's not a nuke incident as the doctor probably also does because their hospital is not rubble.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The unfortunate truth of people using off-label vet meds and "miscellaneous substances" for personalized COVID treatment is that you turn a viral pandemic into de facto and self-inflicted chemical attack situation as well.

I'd imagine it's NOT a fun time to be involved or employed in poison control. :smith:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd imagine it's NOT a fun time to be involved or employed in poison control. :smith:

Poison control company goes public. Lobbying that promotes bleach and horse dewormer and snake venom and antifreeze and flea and tick medicine as COVID cures becomes the billion dollar industry.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The unfortunate truth of people using off-label vet meds and "miscellaneous substances" for personalized COVID treatment is that you turn a viral pandemic into de facto and self-inflicted chemical attack situation as well.

poo poo, you're right. As a society we're just begging for another Gloria Ramirez situation, aren't we?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

None of those drat libtards in blue cities are dying of covid no more, must be the carbon monoxide from commie public transit buses

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
really looking forward to five years from now when the times goes to diners in COVID denial America to learn what makes these people tick

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

That Works posted:

I liked the doctors statement but yeah recognize it's not a nuke incident as the doctor probably also does because their hospital is not rubble.

He could have meant nuclear incident as in a large release of radiation, like Chernobyl.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That was my thought

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Humor is how you get through it, or at least my favorite coping mechanism.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

poo poo, you're right. As a society we're just begging for another Gloria Ramirez situation, aren't we?

God how did I know who that was, not by name, even before I clicked on it.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 6, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I had never heard about this, but the description sounded familiar, and sure enough, that case was the inspiration for the X-files aliens with poison gas blood.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hannibal Rex posted:

I had never heard about this, but the description sounded familiar, and sure enough, that case was the inspiration for the X-files aliens with poison gas blood.

Also an episode of Law and order and probably one or two more similar shows.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

really looking forward to five years from now when the times goes to diners in COVID denial America to learn what makes these people tick

Turns out what's keeping them ticking is that they have learned to breathe through their squeaky clean colons

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

maffew buildings posted:

I'm increasingly curious just how far we are from Covid's disproportionate impact on CHUDs meaningfully impacting elections. While vaccinated folks can still contract and transmit the virus, the likelihood of severe impact is drastically reduced (and the likelihood of death just as dramatically smaller on top of that). If one political party keeps rabidly encouraging its members to play Russian roulette, its obviously not going to end well for their vote counts even if those who survive still vote for them. 40k more fatalities are expected in the US in just the next four weeks.

I guess the GOP leadership genuinely believes that making it part of the culture war issue is worth the cost? Or are just stuck catering to a monster of their own creation, given that even Trump got booed for advising his crowd to get the vaccine? And then you've got folks like Tucker who are so actively pressing the accelerator to the floor that it's almost hard to believe they're not foreign assets intent on sowing chaos in the United States.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We are nowhere near close, 60m turned out to vote for Trump and COVID has had a big impact on populations the GOP doesn't give a poo poo about. It may, in fact, mean fuckall for negative impact on GOP turnout

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

We are nowhere near close, 60m turned out to vote for Trump and COVID has had a big impact on populations the GOP doesn't give a poo poo about. It may, in fact, mean fuckall for negative impact on GOP turnout
It's not going to flip Montana but a few tens of thousands dead that are heavily weighted to Republicans could make a difference in Florida.

Edit: but to be clear, your border point stands. Even if the 5:1 ratio is real, we would need millions more dead for COVID to kill the threat that right wing assholes present.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stealie72 posted:

It's not going to flip Montana but a few tens of thousands dead that are heavily weighted to Republicans could make a difference in Florida.

FL excluded felons from voting again yeah? I am sure they can pass more exclusive voting laws before the next election.