Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

GARY BRECHER x TRUEANON CROSS OVER POD

straight into my veins immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't see it on epsteinfeed

edit it's up now

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Aug 26, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

a poetry editor got fired for having the same opinion on poetry as John Dolan
https://twitter.com/danirosepoet/status/1433816027947839494?s=20
https://twitter.com/BarrenMagazine/status/1434248666970300422?s=20

even the man's most mild takes are too much in some areas

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"poetry is an extremely powerful art form"

boy if that letter doesn't scream "convincing myself that what im doing is extremely important and anyone who challenges that in my orbit will demolish the mental construct in my brain that convinces me so."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/animatedseries/status/1434595826433761288

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

cancelled for not huffing the farts of your own poetry is my new favorite

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Art is not for expressing private feelings and thoughts

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Fired for saying the quiet part out loud

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WifHoZsRUVk

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1437144097979043840

hell yeah

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, where is it? Carl Zha would have released the episode already Because he never edits anything

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's here

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Phone posted:

it's here

I wrote to Dolan a few months ago and suggested they do an episode on Gurowski. He said it was a great idea and could be part of a series on the civil war they were preparing. You’re welcome everyone.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hedenius posted:

I wrote to Dolan a few months ago and suggested they do an episode on Gurowski. He said it was a great idea and could be part of a series on the civil war they were preparing. You’re welcome everyone.

now I want to bombard dolan with my stupid ideas.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
everyone starts sending john dolan articles chronicling the latest in EVE online

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hedenius posted:

I remember Dolan writing about Gurowski years ago. It's probably something he's wanted to do for a while.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I remember Dolan writing about Gurowski years ago. It's probably something he's wanted to do for a while.
Oh, absolutely. I'd never heard of Gurowski until I read his article in NSFWCORP (remember that?). I read Gurowski's diary and his book "Slavery in History" soon after and became deeply fascinated by the guy. Just looked up two parts Dolan quoted in his old article:

quote:

Men like this [Jefferson] Davis…roar against the African race. The more I see of this doomed people, the more I am convinced of their intrinsic superiority over all their white revilers, above all, over this slaveholding generation, rotten, as it is, to the core. When emancipated, the Africo-Americans in immense majority will at once make quiet, orderly, laborious, intelligent, and free cultivators, or, to use European language, an excellent peasantry; when ninety-nine one-hundredths of slaveholders, either rebels or thus called loyal, altogether considered, as human beings…constitute caricatures and monsters of civilization.

quote:

The Africo-Americans are the true producers of the Southern wealth—cotton, rice, tobacco, etc. When emancipated and transformed into small farmers, these laborious men will increase and ameliorate the culture of the land; and they will produce by far more when the white shams and drones shall be taken out of their way. In the South, bristling with Africo-American villages, will almost disappear fillibusterism, murder, and the bowie knife, and other supreme manifestations of Southern chivalrous high-breeding.

Not a hint of inane sentimentality or condescension.

And I'm still going to assume that I'm 100% responsible for this episode.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
"McClellan couldn't command a trip to Jack in the Box"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Poland has only ever produced the best or the worst humanity has to offer. That's what makes it so Pole-ish :dadjoke:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hedenius posted:

thank you

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Poland has only ever produced the best or the worst humanity has to offer. That's what makes it so Pole-ish :dadjoke:

Also The Witcher 3 and Cyperbunk 2077, so you might say it's really bi-Poler

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

much like germany, all the good ones got kicked out in the ninteenth century and the remainder got super into antisemitism

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
liz is a finance gal right? wanna hear her take on the recent chinese reforms in tech, education and real estate. i'd also be interested in brace's opinion. i vaguely remember him saying he was a maoist and would admit he was wrong about deng if china made big moves in getting capital under control.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

much like germany, all the good ones got kicked out in the ninteenth century and the remainder got super into antisemitism

There's plenty of good people still in Poland, but they're all either artists or part of the rump Polish Left. Every other decent Polish person left the country because they could make more money in richer EU countries. Being part of the common market literally made Poland a more reactionary polity.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's plenty of good people still in Poland, but they're all either artists or part of the rump Polish Left. Every other decent Polish person left the country because they could make more money in richer EU countries. Being part of the common market literally made Poland a more reactionary polity.

I'm friends with two poles who were streetsweepers in london before they got kicked out after brexit. now they spend their time complaining about polish cities being flooded with cheap muslim labor

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

John brings up a point I never considered. How the gently caress you gonna let Lee just resign and walk out lmao. My mind is loving blown by this simple thing I never bothered to consider.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I liked the line "With compassion for the dumb peasants and a noose for anyone colonel and above."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Omnicarus posted:

I liked the line "With compassion for the dumb peasants and a noose for anyone colonel and above."

I was happy to hear this because during quarantine I did read-alongs of a bunch of Civil War histories with a friend and our position was "hang everyone above captain"

I'm still mad at Horace Greeley paying Jefferson Davis' bail. Old bitch

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I was reading about how Pickett, the same guy from the charge, fled the country after the war. It looked like he might face trail for executing captured Union soldiers who were from Southern states because he personally considered them all traitors and deserters.

Grant pulled strings to get him back in the country and out of trouble.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i say swears online posted:

I'm friends with two poles who were streetsweepers in london before they got kicked out after brexit. now they spend their time complaining about polish cities being flooded with cheap muslim labor

https://twitter.com/notesfrompoland/status/1439550244673437700?s=19

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Guy even has the bow tie

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Starting to think most of eastern europe is incapable of self governance

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

bring back the Warsaw Pact imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god dolan insulted austrians while in salzburg at 56:30

i love him and i wish him well on his permanent visa journey

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

i say swears online posted:

oh my god dolan insulted austrians while in salzburg at 56:30

i love him and i wish him well on his permanent visa journey

I'll allow it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Terminal autist posted:

Starting to think most of eastern europe is incapable of self governance

The Soviets were right.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reminded that semi-frequent RWN antagonist Anne Applebaum and her husbard Radosław Sikorski signed the "Polanski innocent" letter.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

I was reading about how Pickett, the same guy from the charge, fled the country after the war. It looked like he might face trail for executing captured Union soldiers who were from Southern states because he personally considered them all traitors and deserters.

Grant pulled strings to get him back in the country and out of trouble.

America has always just been incredibly dumb

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

bring back the Warsaw Pact imo

bring it back baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Omnicarus posted:

Wars are always way too loving kind to the generals both during and after. It kinda reminded me of a talk Thomas Ricks did comparing personnel management at the top during World War 2 to the modern US military and arguing how the military starting around Korea began to become more and more about being a vehicle for the careers of the officer class rather than about effectiveness. At least according to him, the statistics for turnover above the field level was staggering, something like the majority of commanding officers at the level for relieved before ever finishing their tour, often only a few months in, and promotions and assignments at the general level were given with little regard for rank/time in grade. Compared to today where I don't think any major flag officer ever got their tour cut short, and the only flag officers who have been punished in any notable way all faced consequences because of personal dumbassery that didn't really have much to do with their ability.

The modern army pretty much just tracks officers to the top and only stops them if they gently caress up significantly (usually in their personal life) or make someone higher up upset, which he argues has made it a perfect system to produce extreme mediocre officers that are very good tactically and operationally but utterly incompetent strategically and totally unwilling to question higher military leadership. If you do get in trouble and slip off the narrow track, your career is pretty much over, and there's no flexibility in the system to place people in ways that use their strengths or mitigate their weakness.

Ricks is a huge Petraeus fanboy at least relative to the rest of notable GWOT generals which makes it even funnier since he really gets animated when he compares the career of Petraeus to Franks or Sanchez, who he loving haaaates.

It's be interesting to see Ricks on the show. I wonder if his decorum-lib and pro-NATO slant has cracked has cracked more over the years. At least the last time I heard about him in the news, his decorum had slipped pretty good during the Benghazi stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OehvY94N-WA