Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Besides being a super hosed up battalion in Vietnam who perpetrated all sorts of war crimes, I assume a Tiger-Force is a name for mans primal fear of predators. Ewing had some fun with the White Tiger being the embodiment of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was. GiJoe division.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DARKSEID IS.

(the Tiger-Force)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Darkseid has a lucrative side-job on New Genesis selling TIGER-FORCE MAXXX pills

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Great question. I've always wondered if he was riffing on Blake, which feels likely on a gut level to me, but I'd feel irresponsible just flat out saying "it's a Blake riff." Smarter people than me have pointed out tethers between Kirby and Blake *as visual artists* and they were certainly drinking from similar cosmological wells in some ways but again I hesitate to say "ok that's simply what it is." But yeah-- that's my personal reading of "tiger-force," which is such an unusual and evocative phrase (and I imagine not a reference to the disgraced army unit of the same name, but who knows); that it's him referring to the scary pulse at the heart of Blake's poem "The Tyger"-- the terrifying and inscrutable but beautiful force of destruction and hunger that, Blake wonders, was somehow created by the same god that made the tender lamb.

I've always read it as some cosmological stalking, devouring, inevitable power. The counter-point to the nurturing, creating forces of the universe. Entropy personified in its all-consuming nature.

Kirby had a lot of problems as a scripter, but every once and a while he hit a lyrical home run.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the reading of "tiger-force" as uncontrollable, predatory energy which cannot be destroyed or tamed but only avoided or adapted to is on point. In addition to Blake, the (truly dreadful but historically significant) fascist philosopher and mystic Julius Evola metaphorised the modernising force of liberalism as a tiger which fascists had to "ride" because it was impossible to avert it. This became the guiding principle of a lot of neo-fascist movements, being as it was essentially an instruction that to propagate fascism you would have to adopt the customs and practises of liberalism on a temporary or partial basis, since liberalism had too much cultural and economic momentum to be immediately or violently destroyed.

He wrote a book about this named Ride the Tiger/Cavalcare la tigre, and it was popular enough cod philosophy that you'll still hear financial analysts talking about "riding the tiger" when they're attempting to reap a profit from a volatile market, and a few musicians from the period after the book's release have songs that reference its philosophy - most notably Ronnie James Dio in Holy Diver, although I doubt Dio's lyrics were intended to be anything other than generically provocative. It's unlikely that Kirby having Darkseid talk about the "tiger-force" was any kind of reference, especially given Kirby's life-long hatred of fascism, but Forever People #3 was 1971 so it was a time period where the idea of "inevitable historical force as tiger" was modish from the popularity of Evola's writing. It's entirely possible the semantics of it were just there without the intended meaning. Then again, it could also just be Blake, or parallel allegorical coinage, or something else.

Evola in turn attributes the parable he based his allegory on to "a Far Eastern myth", but as far as I can tell the actual source isn't clear and that might be apocryphal on his part.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I guess if I don't want to be accused of being a neo-fascist I should rework my super sentai series Tiger Force into something else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is Michael Ironside on Cameo? I just had a cash windfall and talking about this has made me wonder if we could get him to read that speech...

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006
Tigers are big and scary and hunt in the night.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Android Blues posted:

I think the reading of "tiger-force" as uncontrollable, predatory energy which cannot be destroyed or tamed but only avoided or adapted to is on point. In addition to Blake, the (truly dreadful but historically significant) fascist philosopher and mystic Julius Evola metaphorised the modernising force of liberalism as a tiger which fascists had to "ride" because it was impossible to avert it. This became the guiding principle of a lot of neo-fascist movements, being as it was essentially an instruction that to propagate fascism you would have to adopt the customs and practises of liberalism on a temporary or partial basis, since liberalism had too much cultural and economic momentum to be immediately or violently destroyed.

He wrote a book about this named Ride the Tiger/Cavalcare la tigre, and it was popular enough cod philosophy that you'll still hear financial analysts talking about "riding the tiger" when they're attempting to reap a profit from a volatile market, and a few musicians from the period after the book's release have songs that reference its philosophy - most notably Ronnie James Dio in Holy Diver, although I doubt Dio's lyrics were intended to be anything other than generically provocative. It's unlikely that Kirby having Darkseid talk about the "tiger-force" was any kind of reference, especially given Kirby's life-long hatred of fascism, but Forever People #3 was 1971 so it was a time period where the idea of "inevitable historical force as tiger" was modish from the popularity of Evola's writing. It's entirely possible the semantics of it were just there without the intended meaning. Then again, it could also just be Blake, or parallel allegorical coinage, or something else.

Evola in turn attributes the parable he based his allegory on to "a Far Eastern myth", but as far as I can tell the actual source isn't clear and that might be apocryphal on his part.
"Ride the Tiger"/"He Who Rides a Tiger Cannot Dismount" was a phrase that predated Evola; it was the name of a popular Indian novel in the 1950s, a 1950s play that was adapted for television multiple times, a 1965 film starring Judi Dench, and if you search old newspaper archives/Google Books it pops up in articles, lists of idioms, "Eastern proverb" lists, etc. pretty regularly going back to the late 1800s. It's extremely likely it didn't actually originate in China, or if it did it may well not have been remotely ancient, but nor did it originate/get popularized by Evola, particularly.

Evola's book was published in 1961, Kirby's Tiger-Force was 1971, "Holy Diver" was 1983. In between Cannon titled an episode "To Ride a Tiger" in 1973, Jefferson Starship released a song "Ride the Tiger" in 1974, Bernie Taupin released an album called "He Who Rides The Tiger" in 1980, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I'm guessing none of these were intentional nods to each other.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I wish I knew of more solid sources on Kirby's reading habits/research practices because something like, say, The Eternals to take a fairly straightforward one obviously owed a lot to Erich von Daniken but I've never been certain whether Kirby was reading von Daniken himself or if it was just in the air enough at the time. Just like, you know, I'd be pretty shocked if I were to learn that Kirby knew absolutely nothing about Blake and never had a close look at Blake as a visual artist, but I have absolutely no idea if he was thinking and consuming Blake poetry or keeping abreast of Evola or what, or was just drawing on the general semiotic resonances surrounding the concept of the tiger, which is indeed a big scary jungle predator which can easily kill probably a lot of stuff.

Ditto someone a few weeks back in BSS asked about the visual references or inspirations for the blocky, geometric designs Kirby returned to over and over again for armor and costuming, and it really made me want to be able to pin down a more solid answer just for my own personal curiosity.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Random Stranger posted:

Is Michael Ironside on Cameo? I just had a cash windfall and talking about this has made me wonder if we could get him to read that speech...

Unfortunately no, because that sounds like a great idea

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ugh doesn't one of Darkseid's kids literally command a force of tigers?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Ugh doesn't one of Darkseid's kids literally command a force of tigers?

That was just in Final Crisis. Kalibak generally is just angry and strong and has one of those short, golden clubs.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Are there any retailers here? I got a weird question. About how much would it cost to buy every single issue of every released comic for a single month, give or take? How about a single Wednesday?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

Are there any retailers here? I got a weird question. About how much would it cost to buy every single issue of every released comic for a single month, give or take? How about a single Wednesday?

Look at the new release thread and multiply the number of entries by 3 or 4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ruddiger posted:

I had a guy who routinely dropped $300 a week on singles. His pull was smaller than you'd think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I had a guy who routinely dropped $300 a week on singles. His pull was smaller than you'd think.

This just reminded me that the reason Joker killed Jason Todd was a lawyer in California put the money down to set up a robocall for the 1-900 number DC set up for voting on it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

This just reminded me that the reason Joker killed Jason Todd was a lawyer in California put the money down to set up a robocall for the 1-900 number DC set up for voting on it.
You've got to be kidding. Wasn't the count actually kind of close?

Oh, that reminds me that we had a short What If Jason Lived in the What If thread!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You've got to be kidding. Wasn't the count actually kind of close?

Oh, that reminds me that we had a short What If Jason Lived in the What If thread!

Yeah, that's the reason it was close. if a single guy hadn't spent a ton of money Jason would have lived by a huge voting margin.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
And his name was... LightTzitzimine

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

And his name was... LightTzitzimine

He was trying to make him a better hero.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Reading a recent Black Cat series and there's a thieves' guild and: has she ever crossed paths with Gambit?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It's not a good comic by any stretch of the imagination, but the answer is yes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's not a good comic by any stretch of the imagination, but the answer is yes:

Vulpes references it, because he is a goon wise in the ways of continuity!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gail Simone is on her usual trolling thing about Superman and magic and it made me remember back when I was a kid in the 90's I knew that Superman was lactose intolerant. I'm not lactose intolerant so it wasn't me projecting or my parents trying to make me feel better about it. Was there anything at all about this? Woulda been close to, but after the Death and Return era. Or was it like a thing in the April issue of Wizard made as an April Fool's joke.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Luke Skywalker canonically stronger than Superman, purely on the basis of being able to digest the milk of beasts from alien worlds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Gail Simone is on her usual trolling thing about Superman and magic and it made me remember back when I was a kid in the 90's I knew that Superman was lactose intolerant. I'm not lactose intolerant so it wasn't me projecting or my parents trying to make me feel better about it. Was there anything at all about this? Woulda been close to, but after the Death and Return era. Or was it like a thing in the April issue of Wizard made as an April Fool's joke.

You sure you're not thinking of All That? That was a sketch on the show.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if lex just gave superman the lactose shits he wouldve won years ago

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

You sure you're not thinking of All That? That was a sketch on the show.

Oh gently caress. That's the old Nickelodeon sketch show with an incredibly young Keenan Thompson, I definitely watched that around that era.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Oh gently caress. That's the old Nickelodeon sketch show with an incredibly young Keenan Thompson, I definitely watched that around that era.

Yeah, Kenan played Superman. He one weakness was milk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Mystery solved. I remember it was near, but post Death and Return because I remember playing the SNES game with my cousin and one of the early levels has thugs throwing Molotov cocktails at you and joking with my cousin "oh they must be filled with milk."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

X-O posted:

Superdude, actually.

His nemesis was a Milkman

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

What's the state of Hickman's SHIELD? Did that ever get finished and collected?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

What's the state of Hickman's SHIELD? Did that ever get finished and collected?

I think so, not sure about collected but I think it all came out in singles at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They released a second HC to collect the rest, I assume there's a complete edition out there as well.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Shang Chi: I only knew the Ten Rings as Mandarin's finger rings that basically each control a single element or power. Did they get used in the movie bracer form in the comics at all, particularly in that flexible boomerang whip way?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bagrada posted:

Shang Chi: I only knew the Ten Rings as Mandarin's finger rings that basically each control a single element or power. Did they get used in the movie bracer form in the comics at all, particularly in that flexible boomerang whip way?

No, in the comics they were always finger rings. Here's a neat article about why they changed them

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/why-marvel-made-shang-chi-change-the-ten-rings-no-more-knuckle-jewelry

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Rhyno posted:

No, in the comics they were always finger rings. Here's a neat article about why they changed them

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/why-marvel-made-shang-chi-change-the-ten-rings-no-more-knuckle-jewelry

Great article, thanks! I guess I need to get around to watching Kung Fu Hustle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bagrada posted:

Great article, thanks! I guess I need to get around to watching Kung Fu Hustle.

I think I liked Shaolin Soccer a little more, but it's been years since I've seen either and I enjoyed both immensely.