Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DarkEuphoria posted:

Covid thread you are a nightmare but also a respite in this crazy world.

I was just thinking to myself, man this poo poo loving sucks, I’m tired of being isolated and everyone else has accepted Covid into their hearts, maybe I should just give up and start rubbing myself on the plagued masses.

Obviously that meant it was time to check into the thread (lol), and at first it was just confirming how hosed everything is, but then I was reading the last few pages and y’all are talking about the inherent value of the individual and I remembered that I’m not the only one having this problem, that other reasonable people exist and are able to put aside short term individual gain for a better outcome.

Anyway, covid winter #2 is going to suck.

I refuse to let it suck. i’ve got a backlog of books and video games and tv shows. I’m going to get in the best shape of my life. I’m gonna come out in the spring being a bad rear end. I’m gonna focus on my job which I control, and make more money than I’ve ever made before. That’s what I’m gonna do in this isolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acems
May 8, 2019

this winter i’ll finish the yakuza franchise. then i will go back and do all the substories. god help me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

acems posted:

this winter i’ll finish the yakuza franchise. then i will go back and do all the substories. god help me.

Trying to avoid COV19, is like the Majima everyone subplot

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Stop freaking out guys, tine to OPEN BIDEN

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1434681932173004804

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Part of what's tempered any despairing reaction in me to all the stupidity and pain in the world right now is the knowledge that it never really was much better anyway, ever.

It still sucks though. But as long as there is food, beer, and cats, I know I'll be ok on the low "in the moment" level for a time which is all many can hope for

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Thise Tuesday numbers are going to be WILD!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Waiting for the papers to use the 3 day weekend reports to act like it's finally waning again.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

triple sulk posted:

please label people with cspam poster names

Yeah absolutely do this lol

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Thise Tuesday numbers are going to be WILD!

yeah but I'll get to hold my husband's hand for the first time in 21 months.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Chamale posted:

RIP Zokari, stood in the line of fire.

5 million children worldwide die of poverty every year, and so many people think it's OK to add millions of preventable deaths if it lets them get Applebee's and work in an office again.

I'm not shocked that people in the US don't really care about people in the developing world dying. And "learning to live with COVID" means millions more colonized people in the US and abroad dying.

But plenty of the people who die from COVID are the relatively privileged Applebee's fans. They are being impacted by this! They are embracing death in a hopeless attempt to pretend everything is normal.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

Part of what's tempered any despairing reaction in me to all the stupidity and pain in the world right now is the knowledge that it never really was much better anyway, ever.

It still sucks though. But as long as there is food, beer, and cats, I know I'll be ok on the low "in the moment" level for a time which is all many can hope for

looking at it from the perspective of world history can get you into some dumb Pinker style takes though. like, COVID isn't that bad compared to Yellow Fever epidemics, and no one remembers those.

what's frustrating about it for me is that this was entirely preventable. We can look to China and New Zealand and see the pandemic is able to be stopped. But the ruling class in the US has decided it is too expensive to deal with, and are willing to let it spread and kill. And the working class in the US has no organizations that are large and politically developed enough to fight back. Or even to present a coherent counter narrative to the moralism the mainstream media and politicians are spouting.

yeah, my dumbass coworkers may believe that the vaccines are a plot by Bill Gates to sterilize us, but all the explainers I could send to them are from media outlets that cried about the US leaving Afghanistan.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Any time I consider subbing to Defector, I remember that people like Roth and Magary are the dumbest rear end motherfuckers on anything but making sports jokes.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the last (?) australian state looks like it'll be abandoning zero-covid. tbh i think it was probably going to be impossible if everyone else was going to also OPEN GLADYS. our premier hasn't completely capitulated though, probably about the best we can hope for in the west. we'll see how NZ goes after they handle this outbreak.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-05/wa-premier-mark-mcgowan-on-covid-19-vaccines-opening-borders/100432088

quote:

'Completely nuts' to open at 70 per cent'

Under the latest modelling, if WA opened its border to NSW and Victoria at 70 per cent double-dosed vaccination — even with restrictions such as the two-square-metre rule and reduced stadium capacity — there would be hundreds of deaths, the Premier explains.

"[If we] have a high seeding event at 70 per cent two-dose vaccination, you then have around 900 people die in the next 180 days.

"I don't want to do that. The idea that all these people over in the east are saying we should do that is completely nuts."

quote:

Currently, WA is on track to reach 80 per cent double-dose vaccination in early December for people aged 16 and over.

But the WA government will include children aged 12 and over in its vaccination threshold, which is another deviation from the national plan, and it is not yet clear when that target will be reached.

"If we get to 80 per cent two dose vaccinated ... my aim would be to get significantly above that ... and then set a date," Mr McGowan said.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Taking my meds with bourbon and a vape.

Feeling anxious.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

The most radical thing you can do in a world designed to beat you down and isolate you is believe in yourself and build meaningful networks with others.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Caseman posted:

The most radical thing you can do in a world designed to beat you down and isolate you is believe in yourself and build meaningful networks with others.

Practice hope as a radical action.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 6, 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

nooo, gently caress no dude

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Very rude of you all to not acknowledge my cat post.

Very...

Fuckin...

Rude...

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hospitalizations WAY down! covid has at long last ended!! we are victorious!!!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Gonna get pretty interesting when the Delta wave finally starts this week

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

apatheticman posted:

Very...

Fuckin...

Rude...

i am happy you enjoy your weird cats

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Caseman posted:

Yeah it's been said before that Covid is a social disease more than anything else, and the cure is solidarity and co-operation. It may not be possible to make much of a local difference right now with the hordes of covid sterilised and brain-damaged morlocks everywhere but even the information sharing in this thread has probably saved some lives.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

empty whippet box posted:

hospitalizations WAY down! covid has at long last ended!! we are victorious!!!

Don't ask where the patients went tho

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

acems posted:

i beat 0-6 on Legend this year, 100%ed 0, and i’m planning on going for platinum in the whole set

could be worse, is what i’m saying

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

smoobles posted:

Don't ask where the patients went tho

They got discharged to an Applebee's

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Please to enjoy Apatheticmans covid cats

Mortica and Gomez were adopted 1 month before covid from a sphynx rescue. They are our forever cats. Morticia is probably the most affectionate cat you will meet in your life. Gomez is a skittish weirdo but still affectionate.

Neelix and Tuvok were cats that we fostered from the same place that we adopted Morticia and Gomez. They were from a group of 30 cats. Their eyes were taken due to ulcers.

Neelix unfortunately passed away due to complications from being in a shithole most of his life.

Buddy was a rescue as his parent died, he was an orphan of a widow, basically, an old dude's wife passed away and then he did.

He was a very nice cat and I miss him. He's with a single lady and has an Italian greyhound friend now.

:hellyeah:

rip neelix :(

on a related note when can we get a dang cat vaccine

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Nothus posted:

nooo, gently caress no dude

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1434656065052942338

"I considered not writing this because I have no idea what I was talking about but did it anyway."

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

apatheticman posted:

Very...

Fuckin...

Rude...

Cats cute, so what

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shiroc posted:

Any time I consider subbing to Defector, I remember that people like Roth and Magary are the dumbest rear end motherfuckers on anything but making sports jokes.

what exactly was the point of his article?

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Rah! posted:

on a related note when can we get a dang cat vaccine

i would never want to be immunized to cats.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Once kids start getting sick em masse all across the country, I can’t imagine society will continue to function as it has been right?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Skyelan posted:

cats literally invade your home, we need protection from these criminals

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Once kids start getting sick em masse all across the country, I can’t imagine society will continue to function as it has been right?

lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Skyelan posted:

every time i do a flip their eyes get wider its making me nervous

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I mean, depends on what you mean by functioning

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Crazypoops posted:

Cats cute, so what

So pet them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Gio posted:

what exactly was the point of his article?

'Don't scold the kids' I guess based on his later tweets in an extremely 'Open Biden for everyone, actually' way.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

LionArcher posted:

I refuse to let it suck. i’ve got a backlog of books and video games and tv shows. I’m going to get in the best shape of my life. I’m gonna come out in the spring being a bad rear end. I’m gonna focus on my job which I control, and make more money than I’ve ever made before. That’s what I’m gonna do in this isolation.

this is a good attitude

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

jetz0r posted:

i am happy you enjoy your weird cats

Oh sure Pugs exist but a hairless cat... A BRIDGE TOO FAR SIR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, I've decided I need to make my life as good as I can, I suppose I'm lucky in that I'm perfectly happy being inside and playing old snes roms. I'm going to try to get healthy, I've been coping by drinking too much and eating too much but this is never going away, this is how things are now. I have to face up to it and start taking care of myself.