Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

I think it's a little rich to imply that we shouldn't feel sorry for people who can't cross borders right now. The argument that international travel has only been the norm for a short amount of time is pretty weak. For the past, what, 40-50 years, people have been able to travel relatively cheaply at any time. The only time this wasn't true was after 9/11 when travel everywhere shut down for a bit. We've never seen anything on this scale before so of course this hasn't factored into calculus re: whether someone should move states or not.

This isn't an argument for opening borders necessarily (though I do think the *outward* international travel ban is an insane human rights violation, not the *inward* ban), just to say that, "well, cheap travel hasn't been around that long anyway!" is a bit rich.

I could turn this around and say, "well, we haven't had vaccines that long anyway, just have to live with it" as a reason to open schools right now.

My supply of sympathy is getting hit pretty hard by all the people literally loving dying right now. I don't really have much to spare on people whose main complaint from the global pandemic is not getting to visit granny. It's like a loving skit where someone's being interviewed on the scene of a multi-fatality car pileup to complain about how the tragic event caused them to stop suddenly and break a nail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
I mean I’m sure some people want to just visit friends but there are plenty of couples who have been separated, people who have been stopped from visiting dying relatives. I wouldn’t minimize the type of harm and grief that causes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think at the very least kids being separated from parents for weeks and months is pretty loving unacceptable, and whatever hoops the relevant state governments need to jump through to reunite them needs to be a priority

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

StrangeThing posted:

I mean I’m sure some people want to just visit friends but there are plenty of couples who have been separated, people who have been stopped from visiting dying relatives. I wouldn’t minimize the type of harm and grief that causes.

Speaking as someone whose best friend (who I considered chosen family) died in Melbourne just after an earlier lockdown came down: it was awful beyond measure not being able to visit her in hospital and having to attend her funeral in a loving zoom call, but given the option to travel I would have unequivocally said "gently caress off" because I'm not a shithead plague rat and I had no intention of having to bury my mother, or partner, or anyone else because of a selfish desire to put everyone at risk by traveling during a pandemic.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's a tough and lovely situation all round. i don't blame people for running out of patience at all, given the last two years of nonstop federal political spin and bullshit, but obviously there are situations where border closures are loving with people's lives in a major way. on a personal note, my grandad's very likely going to die of dementia within the next two weeks and only his very immediate family have a chance of saying goodbye beforehand, let alone attending the funeral. this fortunately includes me because i'm in SA with him, and i still think a hard border is the way to go - but there's absolutely a lot of sympathy for my extended family in NSW and VIC who won't get that chance. not fishing for sympathy, just that i can totally appreciate the hardships the border closures have put on relationships.

Breetai posted:

Speaking as someone whose best friend (who I considered chosen family) died in Melbourne just after an earlier lockdown came down: it was awful beyond measure not being able to visit her in hospital and having to attend her funeral in a loving zoom call, but given the option to travel I would have unequivocally said "gently caress off" because I'm not a shithead plague rat and I had no intention of having to bury my mother, or partner, or anyone else because of a selfish desire to put everyone at risk by traveling during a pandemic.

that sucks, really sorry for your loss.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

alf_pogs posted:

that sucks, really sorry for your loss.

Thanks. We knew it was coming as she had metastatic breast cancer for about 6 years, but we at least got to spend time with her two weeks prior on her 36th birthday, and probably gave her the last really good time of her life. Which is all kinds of hosed up bittersweet.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Breetai posted:

You’re a good person for seeing it that way. The problem is never people who feel sad about losing a friend or missing the chance to speak with a dying relative, it’s the people who can’t see past that individual pain and balance it against the great mass of human feeling outside themselves. And even then with a virus it’s understandable that it’s hard for them to make that calculation, because they never feel dangerous within themselves, they need to be shown that they might be fine but that for every 100/1,000/10,000 travellers indistinguishable from them an outbreak affecting millions of people will happen.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Breetai posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.

But I would always have sympathy for you during that situation. That's the point, really - that we should have sympathy for people cut off by borders, not to just dismiss it as people complaining they can't see grandma.

Except for children cut off from parents. That poo poo is deplorable and heads should roll.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The Reff in some Melbourne suburbs is 4. I know people are tired of lockdowns but this poo poo is ridiculous.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

gay picnic defence posted:

The Reff in some Melbourne suburbs is 4. I know people are tired of lockdowns but this poo poo is ridiculous.

Well, good news: Melbourne has no plans to relax lockdown rules yet?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.

But I would always have sympathy for you during that situation. That's the point, really - that we should have sympathy for people cut off by borders, not to just dismiss it as people complaining they can't see grandma.

Except for children cut off from parents. That poo poo is deplorable and heads should roll.

I have sympathy from a personal level. I have no sympathy from a policy level.

Except for the kids cut off from parents. Seems like that would be a small enough number we could arrange something.

Feels weird to say this given the argument I'm making, but sorry about that Breetai.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

Well, good news: Melbourne has no plans to relax lockdown rules yet?

I’m more concerned about when they’re planning on enforcing the lockdown rules.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

:auspol:

Sadly it's just the Vic Libs at it again.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lolie posted:

Our current outbreak started because a limo driver wasn't taking appropriate precautions while transporting an international freight crew, so it wasn't because people couldn't stand not travelling at a personal level. International freight has been hugely impacted by covid, but supply chains are dependent on it so it's going to continue irrespective of the risks.

Don't forget that the initial stages of the outbreak were poorly handled because the NSW Premier had gone all in on "No more lockdowns".

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

I’m more concerned about when they’re planning on enforcing the lockdown rules.

What should be happening right now that isn’t happening?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

Anecdotes aren't evidence but a friend of mine has moved back to Perth in the last 2 weeks from Sydney, so it's not an iron curtain, you just need approval. Though from her account it was a buerocratic pain in the arse.

Are the magic words to say they're an au pair?

The Artificial Kid posted:

No, what's staggeringly stupid is focusing solely on the pain of separated families and ignoring the pain of people watching (or in fact not being allowed to watch) their loved ones drowning in their own fluids, which can be prevented (perhaps only temporarily) through border closures. Right now in NSW 24,000 people have active COVID, around 2% of them will die and many more will endure weeks or months of severe illness, because somebody couldn't stand not traveling.

Edit - it is usually stupid to say "all the people", I should have said "a number of people who chose to live away from their families now demand the right to move around and infect families that elected to remain geographically close". The point being that there is an appealing story there of deprivation, which is privileged over the faceless, eventless deprivation of people who go from not having to worry about COVID to having to worry about it.

I'm not upset about it, I was just responding in kind. All over the world untold suffering has arisen from people's need to travel freely all over the world. This is yet another example of viruses having evolved to exploit our contact with one another, but that doesn't change the fact that that is why we have a pandemic going on. If we had proper quarantine facilities it would mitigate it more, but the ultimate solution is for everyone temporarily to work out where they actually want to be in the world and stay there.

Edit - I've obviously expressed myself badly. What I'm driving at is that someone not being able to get across the border to visit their dying mum is a neat story. The grinding despair of a million people with elderly parents living in a state that used to have zero transmission and now has 24,000 active cases isn't a neat story. But it's still real. And we (and our media) are bad at actually doing the calculus of human suffering, instead privileging events and narratives that catch our attention or imagination.

I know that's got to suck, and I'm sorry if I seemed heartless about that. I certainly don't think that it's painless or deserved. You seem already very cognizant of the point I was trying to make that got some backs up, that there is no escape from the need to juggle different forms of suffering in this pandemic.

You weren't responding in kind, you completely hosed your point and then went off. After fellating yourself for nobly clinging to your family pre-pandemic, being a oval office people who moved away pre-pandemic, you beat your chest about what worries a million people, presumably you included, are now facing like I loving don't understand and aren't facing them myself.

My back wasn't up before, it is now you loving idiot.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Don't forget that the initial stages of the outbreak were poorly handled because the NSW Premier had gone all in on "No more lockdowns".

Man it was so infuriating listening to people talking about how the government just wanted us to be locked down, like Gladys didn't drag her feet as hard as she could. There's claw marks on the pavement where she was dragged kicking and screaming into locking down at all and people were still like "gladys just wan lockdown sheeple" :bahgawd:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Can’t believe I’m agreeing with James Patterson and Tim Wilson

Forgot to quote this while I was in the angry dome but what a cursed time to be alive.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

I think it's a little rich to imply that we shouldn't feel sorry for people who can't cross borders right now. The argument that international travel has only been the norm for a short amount of time is pretty weak. For the past, what, 40-50 years, people have been able to travel relatively cheaply at any time. The only time this wasn't true was after 9/11 when travel everywhere shut down for a bit. We've never seen anything on this scale before so of course this hasn't factored into calculus re: whether someone should move states or not.

This isn't an argument for opening borders necessarily (though I do think the *outward* international travel ban is an insane human rights violation, not the *inward* ban), just to say that, "well, cheap travel hasn't been around that long anyway!" is a bit rich.

I could turn this around and say, "well, we haven't had vaccines that long anyway, just have to live with it" as a reason to open schools right now.

I'm not unsympathetic to this argument, though my general opinion is that just because something has been that way for a while doesn't mean a global catastrophe can't swing the needle back in the other direction for a while. But I think people's opinion on how commonplace interstate and international travel was/is can definitely come down to one's own experience and privilege. Like, what you said there - the idea that people could travel relatively cheaply at any time in the 1980s and 1990s - is most definitely not the experience of my family! My dad's brother lives in Sydney and during the 1990s/2000s, having his family come over to Perth, or having some of us go over to visit, was a once every 4-5 years thing. (Though granted, this may be a fairly unique Perth thing - it wouldn't be the same if we were split between Sydney and Brisbane.)

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

It's not like the Spanish Flu where we've lost the cultural memory over generations - millennials should remember when a trip to Europe was a once in a decade family event.

Even once in a decade seems a lot to me! I went with my entire family to Ireland in 2019 to scatter my grandparents' ashes and for many in the family it was the first time they'd ever been to Europe. It was the third time I'd ever been but the first was shoestring-budget backpacking, the second was when I lived in the UK for a year.

When I lived in the UK a lot of my coworkers asked if I was going home for Christmas. I get that Brits probably don't grasp the cost and distance involved, but that's a $2,000 return flight. It was laughably out of the question.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

What should be happening right now that isn’t happening?

A bunch of people in LGAs with high rates of covid transmission copping the long dick of the law would be nice.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Wife is a healthcare worker. One family has someone in hospital, two of their family members have already died, the family still believe COVID is a hoax/conspiracy. All members of the family at home are covid positive. Extended family still mingling through peoples homes. Members of the family (covid positive) attempted to attend the hospital to see the hospitalised family member, and assaulted security guards including pulling the guards mask down and coughing in their face when denied entry.

People are hosed, we actually do need to weld some people into their houses.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

A bunch of people in LGAs with high rates of covid transmission copping the long dick of the law would be nice.

Could you be more specific?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Solemn Sloth posted:

That's what section 62 is for. Every state has similar provisions.

quote:

(4) A public health order may authorise the person subject to the order--

(a) to be detained at a specified place for the duration of the order, or
(b) in relation to an order that requires the person to undergo specified treatment at a specified place--to be detained at that place while undergoing the treatment.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/pha2010126/s62.html

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so you'd like to see the cops attacking the migrant communities in south west and west sydney where the spread is the worst?

just want to be clear on what you're asking for here.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Solemn Sloth posted:

Just to be clear, no, we should never do this.

Lolie posted:

That's what section 62 is for. Every state has similar provisions.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/pha2010126/s62.html

Uh...no. We should not weld people into their homes. lol are we seriously discussing this?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

StrangeThing posted:

Just to be clear, no, we should never do this.

Uh...no. We should not weld people into their homes. lol are we seriously discussing this?

If they have repeatedly shown that they will happily put other peoples lives in danger by willfully spreading the virus, what else do you suggest?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

so you'd like to see the cops attacking the migrant communities in south west and west sydney where the spread is the worst?

just want to be clear on what you're asking for here.

If by attacking you mean strictly enforcing the public health orders then yes. If they want to be treated like adults they can start acting like them and follow the loving rules. People are going to die because these arseholes have decided it’s all too hard and they can’t be bothered doing their bit to stop the pandemic.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

NPR Journalizard posted:

If they have repeatedly shown that they will happily put other peoples lives in danger by willfully spreading the virus, what else do you suggest?

We already have policing measures to deal with this. There are a million things we can do - jail time, etc. We don't need to literally weld people into a house, jesus.

If by attacking you mean strictly enforcing the public health orders then yes. If they want to be treated like adults they can start acting like them and follow the loving rules. People are going to die because these arseholes have decided it’s all too hard and they can’t be bothered doing their bit to stop the pandemic.

I don't disagree, but you haven't exactly specified what you want to happen. What enforcement measures do you want to see increased? Do you want an increased police presence in these areas?

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
Regarding travel chat, I don't know about everyone else, the as soon as those international boarders are open iam getting my rear end outta here as soon as possible. My problem with Australia is it is full of Australian.

Not sorry for wanting a holiday, I do and see some hosed up poo poo whilst on duty. Pretty confident my rear end will be rolling around the Jordaan in Amsterdam with a head full of amenisa haze loving life at some point next year and it will be loving great.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Monitored house arrest should 100% be on the table for people who have demonstrated zero intent to comply with public health orders

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

We already have policing measures to deal with this.

I don't disagree, but you haven't exactly specified what you want to happen. What enforcement measures do you want to see increased? Do you want an increased police presence in these areas?

Whatever works. I’m sure the health department and the cops have a better idea than I do. If it’s going to take uniformed soldiers on the streets, spot checks of anyone seen outside and helicopters flying low overhead at night then so be it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Have choppers circling overhead shooting anyone without a mask on and if it turns out they had a medical exemption send the family a sorry card imo

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Whatever works. I’m sure the health department and the cops have a better idea than I do. If it’s going to take uniformed soldiers on the streets, spot checks of anyone seen outside and helicopters flying low overhead at night then so be it.

I mean, this still ignores the question re: how much of the transmission is due to people breaching health orders and how much of it is due to essential workers spreading the virus to their households. I don't think we know that breakdown, do we?

Solemn Sloth posted:

Have choppers circling overhead shooting anyone without a mask on and if it turns out they had a medical exemption send the family a sorry card imo

Are you being serious?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Makes sense. If people aren’t scared enough of the virus to stay the gently caress at home they need to be made scared of something else. Random extrajudicial killings might just do the trick.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Certainly this is not Gospel but the vast majority of cases here in ACT seem to stem from essential businesses;

https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/act-status-and-response/act-covid-19-exposure-locations

Coles, Woolworths, various chemists, etc. You can't stop this unless you move to full delivery only when in lockdown.

Anecdotally but when I was still going to Woolworths (as of last week we don't leave the house except for exercise, all food we order online) everyone was complying with social distancing, masks, and getting in and out as fast as possible.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

StrangeThing posted:

Are you being serious?

Of course not. He'd never say sorry.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I think looking at the cost of international, or even interstate travel for some people in Australia over the last decade, it's sort of rich to say travelling far from home has become common place in the last 50 years. And I do mean rich, I think the vast majority of people don't travel still.

I went to the Eastern states once, someone else paid for it, it was loving expensive. Can someone tell me why Clive Palmer is so desperate to get into WA?

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

Konomex posted:

I think looking at the cost of international, or even interstate travel for some people in Australia over the last decade, it's sort of rich to say travelling far from home has become common place in the last 50 years. And I do mean rich, I think the vast majority of people don't travel still.

I went to the Eastern states once, someone else paid for it, it was loving expensive. Can someone tell me why Clive Palmer is so desperate to get into WA?

In 2019 I tool a holiday, it was literally cheaper to fly to Amsterdam than it was to Sydney. So I went to Rotterdam to watch a soccer match. Travel was cheap as gently caress until the start of the pandemic. It will be cheap as gently caress again. What the gently caress are you idiots on about?

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Makes sense. If people aren’t scared enough of the virus to stay the gently caress at home they need to be made scared of something else. Random extrajudicial killings might just do the trick.

This is hosed up.

Konomex posted:

More than ten million Australians went overseas in 2017.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-19/more-aussies-pull-out-their-passports-with-nz-trips-on-the-rise/9344692

A few years ago it was possible to get a flight to LA for like, $850. Travel is loving cheap man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Konomex posted:

Can someone tell me why Clive Palmer is so desperate to get into WA?

rich spoilt dipshit got told he couldn't do something