Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That Works posted:

FL excluded felons from voting again yeah? I am sure they can pass more exclusive voting laws before the next election.
And they will. Why else would they have so patiently packed the courts for three generations.

And the Dems will offer their usual useless "resistance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm increasingly curious just how far we are from Covid's disproportionate impact on CHUDs meaningfully impacting elections. While vaccinated folks can still contract and transmit the virus, the likelihood of severe impact is drastically reduced (and the likelihood of death just as dramatically smaller on top of that). If one political party keeps rabidly encouraging its members to play Russian roulette, its obviously not going to end well for their vote counts even if those who survive still vote for them. 40k more fatalities are expected in the US in just the next four weeks.

I guess the GOP leadership genuinely believes that making it part of the culture war issue is worth the cost? Or are just stuck catering to a monster of their own creation, given that even Trump got booed for advising his crowd to get the vaccine? And then you've got folks like Tucker who are so actively pressing the accelerator to the floor that it's almost hard to believe they're not foreign assets intent on sowing chaos in the United States.

i don't think you understand the magnitude of the gerrymandering that has already happened, not to mention the bench stuffed to the gills with people who see it as their duty to refuse to overturn them. then there's the senate, which short of a few more democratic states being added or a constitutional convention will remain firmly in the GOP's grasp for decades. they don't care because they've already entrenched their power; short of tens of millions dying, nothing is going to change that and that's why they give zero shits about their voting bloc throwing themselves onto the funeral pyre.

stealie72 posted:

It's not going to flip Montana but a few tens of thousands dead that are heavily weighted to Republicans could make a difference in Florida.
lol if you think free and fair elections will ever happen in florida again, or that the GOP there won't do absolutely anything to sabotage the vote permanently in their favor now that they have full control of the government.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

brains posted:

lol if you think free and fair elections will ever happen in florida again, or that the GOP there won't do absolutely anything to sabotage the vote permanently in their favor now that they have full control of the government.
Listen, the wine moms on my local #resist #herturn facebook group are all convinced that Texas has opened the floodgates of angry women and the Republicans will pay in the next election, sabotaged elections or not. The GOP will get only 54% of white women's votes instead of 56%.

It takes a lot for me to not constantly ask "oh yeah? What are you going to do to stop it?

Because yeah. We likely have already seen the last fair-ish election.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well. That is certainly a loving read. :stare:

Edit: Gloria

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Posting for the wholesomeness to interrupt any dooming:

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1434606369332736014

In fairness, "thousands" is technically correct.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Mark Hamill is an extremely wholesome twitter follow.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Mark Hamill is an extremely wholesome twitter follow.

his bio is pretty good

quote:

Believe in yourself! Work hard, never give up & anything's possible! OR: Kick back, relax & aim low: You'll never be disappointed...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn this picture....is something else. It would make a great trash painting...similar to the great trash works of "American Conservative Art."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58453778

quote:

The fate of Guinea's President Alpha Condé is unclear after an unverified video showed him surrounded by soldiers, who said they had seized power.

They appeared on national TV claiming to have dissolved the government.

However, the defence ministry said the attempted takeover had been thwarted by the presidential guard.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Deplatforming concern trolls of yesteryear(s) can shove it.

The cynic in me thinks this divorce is just a tactic to protect assets from a lawsuit they expect to lose (possibly in addition to hating eachother). Derek and Kellie Chauvin did the same thing in their divorce.

"According to the December proposal: Kellie Chauvin's share of marital assets was $658,461; Derek Chauvin's share was an $8,862 debt.

After all assets and debts are factored in, Kellie Chauvin would receive $703,717; Derek Chauvin would receive $420,768."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
lol

https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1434657636268527619?s=20

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

so this all comes back to hillary clintons emales

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

3%er and christian hate group content sure sure we already knew it was Texas politics how bout some news pal

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Goddamn this picture....is something else. It would make a great trash painting...similar to the great trash works of "American Conservative Art."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58453778

Someone's getting a raise

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I legit thought that was a screen from like an old C&C fmv or something :aaa: I think it's the blue grid background.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I legit thought that was a screen from like an old C&C fmv or something :aaa: I think it's the blue grid background.

we’re going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world *cue c&c music*

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I was thinking “cover art for the next Far Cry game.”

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hahaha it certainly has that feel. I also like the kind of just standing around quality to it that also reminds me of bad FMV cutscenes.

https://youtu.be/qEQN06lyMHE

5:22 in to receive your briefing commander.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

brains posted:

The GOP has had effectively full control of the FL state government for over 20 years. What exactly do you think they’re going to do differently to prevent free and fair elections today vs what they’ve already done in that time?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Gunna guess "be backed up by a 5-4 SCOTUS ruling that roughly says democrats winning too much is unconstitutional" is part of it.

Edit: and also see the last sane local republican officials be primaried by Q idiots who literally do not believe in the rule of law.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 6, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nystral posted:

The GOP has had effectively full control of the FL state government for over 20 years. What exactly do you think they’re going to do differently to prevent free and fair elections today vs what they’ve already done in that time?

Exactly what was done for the 2020 presidential election.

Just fight the results.

On a long enough timeline it will eventually work.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I was thinking “cover art for the next Far Cry game.”

Honestly I wish someone would take the mechanics (and additional gameplay it would incur) from 5 and just put them into a remastered 2 and 3. I mean I’d love those features in 4 too but, I could see how it’s pretty close to 5 already.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 6, 2021

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Florida isn't a swing state now hth

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
DeSantis won by fewer votes than the number of people who have died to covid in Florida.

FL’s legislature is hopelessly gerrymandered, but the state’s population is very close to 50:50.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Yeah, as gerrymandered as things are, there's still a ton of downballot races across the country that have the potential to be competitive. Whether it's at the state, local, or even school board level, CHUDs committing mass suicide has a chance to push the needle (especially as it's unclear where the ceiling is for fatalities).

If nothing else it's currently killing off a bunch of true-believer young radicals who might have otherwise taken the reins from the older generation. While they're all dumb shits, the self-winnowing risks depriving the party of the more competent dumb shits who might have been its future leaders.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I would put a lot of money on the people dying are the follow the leader idiots and the competent ones who are a risk to take the reigns got vaccinated very early on

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

I would put a lot of money on the people dying are the follow the leader idiots and the competent ones who are a risk to take the reigns got vaccinated very early on

Betas are sheeple. Alphas are horses.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maffew buildings posted:

:same:

It’s sort of like the Conservative Radio self owns are all small or medium tier. Sean and Tucker have probably been vaccinated since day 1 and even if not that early, certainly are now.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Sean and Tucker have probably been vaccinated since day 1 and even if not that early, certainly are now.
Fairly certain that their employer requires it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stealie72 posted:

Fairly certain that their employer requires it.

The rumor was that it was before the Fox mandate.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

entirely consistent with their philosophy.

corporate oligarchies are great and A-OK as long as liberals don't get a say.

democratic government is terrible because other people get to put their opinions in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some of the voting laws recently written say poo poo like they can just over ride the election results if they don't like them "have significant concerns about the validity and security".

The Republican party is playing footsie with straight up one-party, authoritarian "for national security Democrats are now illegal" poo poo and their base deeply, desperately desires that outcome.

brains
May 12, 2004

Nystral posted:

if you haven't noticed, the mask (hood?) has come off and the GOP has shown itself perfectly willing and even enthusiastic to dismiss election results in favor of their own hand-curated victories. yes, they've been pulling this poo poo for 20 years, but it was hidden from the spotlight and and done with some level of deniability, and now it is not just blatant but a policy position. they're signalling loud and clear that every election they lose is subject to "review" and dismissal through the levers of the state government.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1434900548176785415

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We can just send Lindsay. It's cool. Let him play republican commando, see how far he gets.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Humor is how you get through it, or at least my favorite coping mechanism.

You could also use your dead patients as your creative writing prompt without their consent for Twitter clout instead!

https://twitter.com/kathryniveyy/status/1434496650182025220?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We can just send Lindsay. It's cool. Let him play republican commando, see how far he gets.

I think I’ve seen this as a comedy movie.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Eej posted:

You could also use your dead patients as your creative writing prompt without their consent for Twitter clout instead!

https://twitter.com/kathryniveyy/status/1434496650182025220?s=19

To be honest, this sounds exactly like what my sister has experienced doing rotations through her COVID ICU. If it convinces one person to get vaccinated it’s worth it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Omar / Chalky died

:smith:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/06/actor-michael-k-williams-found-dead-in-nyc-apartment/

e: looks like potential overdose.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Probably not news for most of you but

https://twitter.com/osamabishounen/status/1434967749025927168?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!