Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Disney's live action remakes are all massive wastes of time and money and it's crazy how much money was spent to remove any sort of color or personality from The Lion King, in favor of having this loving animal planet-looking horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dreylad posted:

wonder if i can get a following at spoken word poetry where my performance is i try to power up like goku

thinking about it, that would be so loving exhausting to do for more than like 30 seconds. just fully flexing every muscle and screaming at the top of your lungs in various poses. I can’t stop laughing thinking about it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/captain_faq/status/1434318919297159169

Lmfao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

The musical numbers do not help

I don’t think you “get” Disney if you don’t like the songs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hahahahaha what the gently caress is this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

wtf

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

cause the writer is given a mandate of “make this thing for 6-11 year olds into something Serious and Adult with Pathos but also it still needs to appeal to the 6-11 year olds”

e: and also the remakes lose out on the Disney cheat codes: awesome musical numbers

saw free guy today and have had engaging discussions with family on this subject i think free guy works better without the real world sections because all they do is remove the ambiguity about guys self actualization by confirming that milly is telling the truth

but my adult family thinks petty rear end in a top hat techbro is necessary both to emphasize the reality of toxic game workplaces and also to maintain the interest of children this despite my professional computer working sister agreeing that most of the programming stuff that happens makes no sense and that this is only an issue because the real world half of the plot tries to give technobabble explanations for whats happening in the game

interestingly the actual kids agree that the real life sections are important but also expressed a strong interest in theorycrafting because they watch that stuff on youtube all the time and the main individual quirks they liked on free guy were plot holes they made up their own explanations for and not the actual textual worldbuilding

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched the Amazon Cinderella movie last night. Uh, spoilers, I guess?

The primary twist in the movie is that Cinderella wants to be a dressmaker. She gets an idea for a dress she wants to make, she makes it, and then tries to sell it. Her first "sale" is prompted by the Prince, who recognizes her beauty from a prior encounter and buys it just to get into her good graces. Otherwise she would never have gotten anywhere, because the market square is dominated by men, and women aren't allowed to run a business.

Indeed, her going to the ball isn't about meeting and falling in love with the Prince, it's about hob-knobbing with the wealthy elite so that she can meet people that she can sell her dresses to.

The parallel side-plot in the movie is with the Prince rebelling against his overbearing father. The King wants nothing more than to preserve his legacy and reputation, and that means his heir, the Prince, needs to settle down and marry a noble-born woman. The Prince frequently pushes back against this.

The Prince also has a younger sibling, Princess Gwen, who is basically Elizabeth Warren - she keeps trying to get a word in edgewise about her progressive ideas on how to rule, but nobody gives her any credit and they repeatedly ignore her as a busybody. At one point, she says "why we are spending money on catapults when we have so many already? It really just benefits the catapult makers", along with other similar comments that wouldn't be out of place in a speech by AOC, except transposed into this quasi-medieval setting where necessary. This will be important later.

Cinderella wants to go the ball, her step-mother stops her, her Fabolous Godmother appears, does the transformation, and she makes it to the ball.

While there, she meets a queen from a foreign kingdom that is impressed by the dress she's wearing, and they agree to meet the day after in the market square so she can present the rest of her wares, with the expectation that Cinderella will be brought-on as a dressmaker for this queen. Along the way, Cinderella does meet the Prince once again, and this time they do fall in love... but Cinderella rejects the Prince's proposal for marriage because she wants to be able to chase her dream of becoming a successful businesswoman, which she wouldn't be able to do under the expectations of being a Princess.

The clock strikes midnight, Cinderella flees, leaves her slipper behind, etc.

The following morning, she has a confrontation with her stepmother, who reveals that the reason why she's so bitter and cruel towards Cinderella was because she too used to have dreams of being an independently successful pianist, that she had to tamp down in order to fulfill her duties as a wife and mother, and she resents Cinderella for trying to escape that.

In parallel, the King comes to a realization that he's being way too controlling and decides to tell his son, the Prince, that he should be free to do whatever he wants with his life, without any impositions from his father's expectations.

The Prince rides off to find Cinderella, and Cinderella stages an escape from her stepmother's house to make her way to the market square. They run into each other, and they re-declare their love for each other, except this time the Prince says that he'd be willing to abdicate his responsibilities as Prince if it means being with Cinderella, and Cinderella agrees for them to become a couple, since now they can do that without her having to give up her entrepreneurial ambitions.

They make it to the market square, Cinderella shows off her projects to her newfound patroness, and she's hired.

The two of them go back to the King, declare their love for each other, and the King agrees... which paves the way for Princess Gwen to become the heir apparent and usher-in a new era of progressive monarchism under her enlightened rule.

In case it wasn't clear, this is an extremely lib-brained film and the reframing of the story to be about Cinderella's rise to be a Girlboss is eye-rollingly bad.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how this movie apparently completely buys into the idea that medieval era women couldnt be professionally ambitious because patriarchy but also features as a central plot point a medieval era woman who could succeed in her professional ambitions because she was literally born into them

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
shadow in the cloud is bonkers hahaha wtf

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lmao

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
poo poo this looks loads worse than the Disney Cinderella remake and that one was just dull.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched the Amazon Cinderella movie last night. Uh, spoilers, I guess?

The primary twist in the movie is that Cinderella wants to be a dressmaker. She gets an idea for a dress she wants to make, she makes it, and then tries to sell it. Her first "sale" is prompted by the Prince, who recognizes her beauty from a prior encounter and buys it just to get into her good graces. Otherwise she would never have gotten anywhere, because the market square is dominated by men, and women aren't allowed to run a business.

Indeed, her going to the ball isn't about meeting and falling in love with the Prince, it's about hob-knobbing with the wealthy elite so that she can meet people that she can sell her dresses to.

The parallel side-plot in the movie is with the Prince rebelling against his overbearing father. The King wants nothing more than to preserve his legacy and reputation, and that means his heir, the Prince, needs to settle down and marry a noble-born woman. The Prince frequently pushes back against this.

The Prince also has a younger sibling, Princess Gwen, who is basically Elizabeth Warren - she keeps trying to get a word in edgewise about her progressive ideas on how to rule, but nobody gives her any credit and they repeatedly ignore her as a busybody. At one point, she says "why we are spending money on catapults when we have so many already? It really just benefits the catapult makers", along with other similar comments that wouldn't be out of place in a speech by AOC, except transposed into this quasi-medieval setting where necessary. This will be important later.

Cinderella wants to go the ball, her step-mother stops her, her Fabolous Godmother appears, does the transformation, and she makes it to the ball.

While there, she meets a queen from a foreign kingdom that is impressed by the dress she's wearing, and they agree to meet the day after in the market square so she can present the rest of her wares, with the expectation that Cinderella will be brought-on as a dressmaker for this queen. Along the way, Cinderella does meet the Prince once again, and this time they do fall in love... but Cinderella rejects the Prince's proposal for marriage because she wants to be able to chase her dream of becoming a successful businesswoman, which she wouldn't be able to do under the expectations of being a Princess.

The clock strikes midnight, Cinderella flees, leaves her slipper behind, etc.

The following morning, she has a confrontation with her stepmother, who reveals that the reason why she's so bitter and cruel towards Cinderella was because she too used to have dreams of being an independently successful pianist, that she had to tamp down in order to fulfill her duties as a wife and mother, and she resents Cinderella for trying to escape that.

In parallel, the King comes to a realization that he's being way too controlling and decides to tell his son, the Prince, that he should be free to do whatever he wants with his life, without any impositions from his father's expectations.

The Prince rides off to find Cinderella, and Cinderella stages an escape from her stepmother's house to make her way to the market square. They run into each other, and they re-declare their love for each other, except this time the Prince says that he'd be willing to abdicate his responsibilities as Prince if it means being with Cinderella, and Cinderella agrees for them to become a couple, since now they can do that without her having to give up her entrepreneurial ambitions.

They make it to the market square, Cinderella shows off her projects to her newfound patroness, and she's hired.

The two of them go back to the King, declare their love for each other, and the King agrees... which paves the way for Princess Gwen to become the heir apparent and usher-in a new era of progressive monarchism under her enlightened rule.

In case it wasn't clear, this is an extremely lib-brained film and the reframing of the story to be about Cinderella's rise to be a Girlboss is eye-rollingly bad.

at least they tried something different instead of just doing cinderalla again for the 30th time i guess?

i dunno why you chose to inflict so much psychic dmg on yourself tho

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

cataloging every piece of media one consumes in how lib it is must be exhausting

4 libs out of 5

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

why does every woman lead have to be a girlboss in every property, where's my slacker pot smoking princess

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Tiberius Christ posted:

why does every woman lead have to be a girlboss in every property, where's my slacker pot smoking princess

Appealing to upper class libs. Pot is gross unless you whitewash it into a hipster couple's shop

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Tiabeanie but goth, live-action.
And weed over booze. It seems the cool people nowadays don't drink (but Mormonism will still never be cool, lol).

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dreylad posted:

meanwhile in poetry land (crosspost from RWN thread):

She's 100% correct. Poetry has been dead as a popular artform since the mid-80s. The closest we've had to an influential poet in the past 30 years was Billy Collins, and even he didn't achieve the level of popularity and success that people like Bukowski, Brautigan, and Angelou used to achieve (and they were also novelists as well), let alone people like Shelley, Keats, or Byron...

Much like how comic books were once read by every child, and sold in the millions, but have now become a specialty artform made for and consumed by people who are really into them, poetry sells like poo poo, has no widespread penetration unless translated into a different medium, and is generally only read by other poets. You either read none, or you read way too much, with almost no one in between. See also, horseback riding, classical orchestral music, stamp/coin collecting, HAM radio (though they swear they're getting more popular), model trains, service organizations (ie. Elks, Masons, Rotary, LWV)...

But if you tell this to any poetry person, that no one reads it, no one knows how to read it, and no one cares, they tend to lose their poo poo, similar to how comic people tend to lose their poo poo if you say that superheroes are dumb, because you don't understand, this is modern mythology and provides an inspirational and aspirational vision of moral conduct that pushes us to be better and do the right thing...

One should not conflate popularity with quality, of course, but popularity and influence are pretty impossible to separate. If no one pays attention, no one is influenced.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
oh man the ads telling me this marvel movie deserves to be seen on the big screen….lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

She's 100% correct. Poetry has been dead as a popular artform since the mid-80s. The closest we've had to an influential poet in the past 30 years was Billy Collins, and even he didn't achieve the level of popularity and success that people like Bukowski, Brautigan, and Angelou used to achieve (and they were also novelists as well), let alone people like Shelley, Keats, or Byron...

oh yeah what about that poet who did a poem at the biden inauguration who was hailed as the greatest artist of her generation and then everyone immediately forgot about her

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That was rather cringe, tbqh, every part.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Was that Rupi Kaur, the only living poet I can think of?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

it was amanda gorman

it was a fine poem and she said it well but yeah, nobody gives a poo poo about poetry outside the small window of time every 4 years where inagurations make them relevant

did someone read a poem at trumps inaguration? was it about the woman and the snake

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
her poem had like four references to the Hamilton musical

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I look forward to the day an inauguration poem has a reference to spider-man in it.

Our president is so awesome and so dapper
You can't help but yell "whallop'in websnappers"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DesertIslandHermit posted:

poo poo this looks loads worse than the Disney Cinderella remake and that one was just dull.

its funny how a couple of the old movies still stick in my head better than the few movies ive seen that have come out recently. learned about the artists who inspired sleeping beauty at a show about georgia okeefe, and mary blair's work that inspired cinderella is wonderful

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Sep 6, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Poetry is still extremely powerful

quote:

“open letter to my facebook friends

who voted for Jill Stein:

unfriend me now, I don’t care

if we’ve known each other for ten years!

delete me from your friend list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

at this point my life is very nicely

2/3 wishing I were dead and 1/3

wishing I was never born

tbh your problems won’t go away

just bc you finally acknowledged yr own

longstanding depression:

the survivor mentality never worked

for me but then again I haven’t lived

thru much: “it happened to me:

I dated a white anarchist

who made me do all the dishes

while he crowdfunded his trip to Rojava”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jennybagel/read-this-very-short-story-by-jenny-zhang

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Just got back from seeing Shang Chi. It was a fun movie, owing mostly to some banger action scenes, but not one I would describe as good. Some plot elements felt very contrived, and frankly there was far too much clunky exposition.

I do wish they'd kept the Mandarin's powers intact in the translation from comic book to movie; it would have made a much more interesting third act climax instead of having your usual Marvel mirror match. I'm also not convinced the final kaiju battle was a good idea. And I'm left with the strong suspicion that there's something in Shang Chi's backstory that was left on the cutting room floor (and if I'm right it's a shame, would have made for a better character arc.)

Throughout much of the movie, it really felt like nearly as much of a Meng'er Zhang vehicle as a Simu Liu one, though it turns out there's a reason for that which becomes clear after the credits.

I was expecting to hate everything about Awkwafina based on the trailer, but she was actually fine - the role of "I hate this character and wish they weren't in this film" ended up going to Ben Kingsley, surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly.)

Thematically, it's trying to say something about the importance of family and heritage with regards to the immigrant experience, but I'm not entirely sure it's very coherent in this regard. I'll need to let the movie percolate a bit more. Also, given how thoroughly prole Shang Chi is at the beginning of the movie (as opposed to his comic book origins, where he's more akin to James Bond with Kung Fu), a Marxist reading could be pretty interesting.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

oscarthewilde posted:

i guess he’s conservative in the very broad sense that he is opposed to modern life and attitudes in general, and puts the fault of the decline of effective left wing movements sorely on the (increasing anxiety and retreat into atomized culture and identity) left. if you’re a lib anyone who blames the left for their own self imposed meaninglessness must immediately be a conservative, if he were a true leftist he’d just blame those damned populists and right wingers

By this criteria, Mark Fisher is a lib

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/KindaHagi/status/1434950649486233605?s=19

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Shang Chi reaction:

The fight scene in the bus was good.
The fight scenes in the gambling den were good
The big final battle was an incoherent punch fest between nameless good guys and faceless bad guys with some cgi monsters thrown in. Like every big final battle in a Marvel movie.
Kaiju fight was at least something Marvel hasn't done before.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1434972172800364548?s=20

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

gently caress this :smith:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

did she date PissPigGranddad??? guess she did something good with her life afterall

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mother fucker

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Spuckuk posted:

By this criteria, Mark Fisher is a lib

i was giving an example of the lib mindset where everyone who dared challenge the liberal paradigm must immediately be a bad actor. but yeah, Fisher and Curtis have a lot in common. They don't have the same lexicon, and Fisher prefers small, phenomenological narratives over sweeping historical/political ones, but their identification of life under late capitalism, the withdrawal of politics from society at large, and the inefficacy of the left are essentially the same. hypernormalisation and capitalist realism are essentially interchangeble concepts

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

OH poo poo

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

drat, what the gently caress?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

indigi posted:

if this is his actual belief then he’s even dumber than his detractors make him out to be

Haven't watched his stuff in full but I did listen to an interview with him on Russell Brand's podcast (lol) from like 4 years ago and one of his theses is that the hippies, rather than using the collective energy of the civil rights movement, entered the world of meaningless mystic self-actualization. Turn on, tune in, drop out and so on. I don't think that's a controversial take on C-SPAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBy08P7tHPQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah nobody likes hippies