Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

if it wasnt for the duke id have never gone from humble meth lab owner to dude with subs and avengers and a mkii in every garage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Same but chromed out fully-upgraded Felon GTs back in the 360 days when you could dupe glitch sell every minute or so

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

For the free car talk, go to all of the vehicle stores. Legendary, SASuperAuto, warstock even the plane and boat stores. Hit the “Sort by price” button and anything free will bubble up so you don’t miss it. There’s a lot but I’m not sure if it’s for everyone like mentioned, or just older players. Def worth checking tho

The best part of this game is it doesn't tell you if you already own something so whenever I do this I inevitably end up "buying" 1-3 cars I already own because I can't remember if I own them already or not.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sleekly posted:

if it wasnt for the duke id have never gone from humble meth lab owner to dude with subs and avengers and a mkii in every garage

It was, IIRC, one of the earliest armored vehicles in the game. The D'oD can tank a few RPG rounds, and only high rate of fire weapons or shotguns can really get through the louvers on the back window. All for 0$.

I've found driving the D'oD, Kuruma, and Nightshark in first person helps illustrate where you are vulnerable from. If you can see it through the vision slits, it can hit you.

On the subjects of armored cars and new player vehicles, the Benefactor Schafter V12 (short wheel base) is one of the best values around. Fast, stable, tough, with four seats. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the regular version and later upgrade it to the armored variant.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Requoting for ONE WEEK WARNING - nothing planned tonight (but stop on by!)

Otacon posted:

Friday, September 10th at 7pm PST / 10pm EST

We're gonna give this new Kart Krash game-mode a solid look-see before we further devolve into whatever funnels or insurgents or bowling standards.

Stop on by the Discord to join the festivities. I hope to see everyone there!

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Otacon posted:

Requoting for ONE WEEK WARNING - nothing planned tonight (but stop on by!)

Might as well reinstall gta, why not.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Medullah posted:

The best part of this game is it doesn't tell you if you already own something so whenever I do this I inevitably end up "buying" 1-3 cars I already own because I can't remember if I own them already or not.

I ended up making a spreadsheet after doing this too many times :eng99:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Baron von Eevl posted:

The story I heard was they had been free for anyone who upgraded from the 360 or PS3 versions to either PC or next gen consoles, but then R* hosed something up in the update and flagged all those cars as hacked and removed them from people's garages so the solution was to just make them free for everyone.

is this related to how all my chrome wheels (where I ground out the requirements for each category) giving me a price mismatch/failure every single time I try to use them or is that a different flagging mistake?

not like chrome wheels are at all a big probem but I put in the work for those, rockstar.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Psion posted:

is this related to how all my chrome wheels (where I ground out the requirements for each category) giving me a price mismatch/failure every single time I try to use them or is that a different flagging mistake?

not like chrome wheels are at all a big probem but I put in the work for those, rockstar.

Lol, I think that problem is R* trying to apply an Auto Shop discount to a base price of 0 and getting NaN. I just went down the street to LSCustoms for my free chrome wheels.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You know, I did only try in the auto shop. Okay, well glad that's an easy fix.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Underflowing free Chrome Wheels prices at the autoshop to own Daddy Rockstar

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
I swear I saw there were low grip tires added for drifting, but all I'm seeing is the Track tires at the Auto Shop and Car Meet. Am I missing something?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Captain Melo posted:

I swear I saw there were low grip tires added for drifting, but all I'm seeing is the Track tires at the Auto Shop and Car Meet. Am I missing something?

are you looking in the menu with the bulletproof tires at the car meet?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also it's just for the new cars I think.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
Yes, the low grip tires are only available on some of the new tuner vehicles. Make sure you don't have bulletproof tires equipped because you won't be able to select the slippery ones.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

sometimes when you are fleeing Cayo Pavel will warn you about some huge thing on the sonar (but he doesnt want to panic you) and then he says its an old friend and no threat.

what is he going on about?

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Sleekly posted:

sometimes when you are fleeing Cayo Pavel will warn you about some huge thing on the sonar (but he doesnt want to panic you) and then he says its an old friend and no threat.

what is he going on about?

It's an Easter egg. Nessie will show up if you take a boat to a certain point off the main docks

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ripper Swarm posted:

It's an Easter egg. Nessie will show up if you take a boat to a certain point off the main docks

ah! thanks!

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Otacon posted:

F620 is a great car but has no spoiler - traction at speed can be an issue.

Other great cars to find and steal are the aforementioned Felon GT, the Sultan, the Sentinel (or Sentinel XS) the Bati 801 (honestly an actual end-game motorcycle, available day 1 for $0) and the Dominator. And while you cannot steal one off the street, the Elegy is available for free to purchase from Legendary Motorsports.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you haven't been able to steal a Bati or Akuma off the streets for awhile. Every time I've tried driving one into my garage, I get the same prompt telling me to buy it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Scorched Spitz posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you haven't been able to steal a Bati or Akuma off the streets for awhile. Every time I've tried driving one into my garage, I get the same prompt telling me to buy it.
Well I'm going to check that

also just agreed to a new EULA that i totally read, awesome

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Welp, confirmed for Akuma at least.

Apparently it's cars <$100K, bikes <$10K

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 6, 2021

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Dumb question from a GTA:O newbie. I just started my character and went through the tutorial and all that, now at level 7. When does Simeon call me so I can buy things? I have a free executive office that is sitting around I can’t access because first I had to be rank 5, then I got pranked bro because I also need a loving phone call. I’ve driven around randomly, done quick jobs, robbed a few stores, but not a phone call. Do I need to do a certain mission or something?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The scripted phone-calls have a history of not firing correctly.

Do you have a large "S" present on your map? If so, try driving there.

Have you tried jumping to a new session yet? Hit Escape (or Pause) and go to Online > Find New Session.

Comments online are suggesting it may fire if you're on-foot, rather than driving.

If you're on PC, please stop by our Discord server in the OP - we'd like to shower you in love.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
PS4 player. I did go to the big S and did a repo mission where I was the host and had ZERO idea what I was doing. I feel bad for the other players who joined because I drove up and through the police and got us all killed very quickly without ever touching the cars we needed to steal. Maybe I need to actually complete a mission for him.

I’ll try a private session next time I play and take a walk after doing another S mission if I can. Thanks for the tips.

And if you’re out there, sorry to the driver who had to rely on me to press the left and right arrows to direct you through the race. Again, no idea what I was doing and we spent 6 minutes completing a race that should’ve been done in 4 minutes if the world record is anything to go by.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 7, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

So the consensus online seems to be to create a new 2nd slot character, and skip the tutorials. You'll be able to buy everything as soon as you exit the cutscene at level 1. Once everything seems to be working, you can safely delete the first character.

Since you don't have any properties or vehicles yet, there shouldn't be any pain.

(Your money is shared between characters as long as you deposit it - in your phone or visit an ATM)

Don't worry about losing 7 or 8 levels! It's nothing.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Okay, cool, I’ll try that tonight. Thanks!

Edit - Loading up a private session, walking around and buying a shirt triggered it. Thanks for the help.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 8, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Hey PC goons! This Friday, September 10th at 7pm PST / 10pm EST we're playin' videogames. And playing until people stop showing up. You don't need to be in our crew or anything - just stop on by the Discord to join the festivities.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
I look forward to this event and hope that everybody shows up!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I was super lucky last night. I purchased my CEO office and everything and decided to try out one of the cargo missions - picking up packages and bringing them back to the warehouse. I was playing by myself and I had no idea what the mission might entail. Anyway, the game tells me I need to go to a place out in the middle of nowhere to pick up the stuff. Great. I head out. Right as I arrive, suddenly the game tells me I need to actually look at four different vehicles scattered around LS and one of those vehicles will have the poo poo. Well, gently caress. Okay then, off I go to each car individually. Finally I find the right one (3rd of 4 I was checking) and I jack it. Immediately, I discover I ping the entire map to my location. And I'm in a slow moving van type vehicle. Well poo poo. I start driving.

Halfway through the trip, I get that thing that happens (I assume everyone has experienced this) where everybody except me drops from the session. I'm by myself, but I'm still in a public session - so I can keep doing CEO stuff but I run zero risk in actually getting the cargo to its destination. I take advantage of that to deliver some cargo for profit, then do another cargo run - this time, I need to pick up three packages. To my surprise, I can only carry one at a time. So I have to drive to a place, pick up one package, drive it back to the warehouse, then go back. Two more times. I can see why this is really designed to be a multiplayer activity because if there were other people in the session that could attack me, I doubt I would've gotten anything done. But hey, luck was with me. I'll need to remember this next time everyone in the session drops - time to do the risky stuff because it's easy money. It just takes time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You can force that to happen pretty easily if you want a solo session. Super easy to do on PC, pretty easy to set up on PlayStation. I used to do it all the time to sell guns.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

imagine if you could harness the power of netsplit, and perhaps even conjure it at will...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I always found the CEO cargo missions to be way more trouble than they're worth. First you have to invest money in buying a crate, and then you have to do a mission to get it, and then you have to do another mission to deliver it, and also the pickup missions are way harder than they need to be even without other players griefing you. I find the biker businesses (esp coke and cash) and gunrunning to be much more reasonable time vs profit.

edit the one advantage to doing a delivery on a crowded server is an extra 1% pay for every other player on there. It doesn't sound like much but a 25-30% boost if you're on a server with a lot of idlers or just chill ppl is a huge plus

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Yeah, I’m still feeling my way around the whole mission system and getting used to other players and stuff. I never had any problem with doing random pick up multiplayer in other games like Destiny 1/2, the Souls series, things like that. But in this I’m always a bit nervous because everybody seems to know exactly what to do and I’m just bumblefucking my way through the game.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

a server with a lot of idlers or just chill ppl

A what?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Lucas Archer posted:

I was super lucky last night. I purchased my CEO office and everything and decided to try out one of the cargo missions - picking up packages and bringing them back to the warehouse. I was playing by myself and I had no idea what the mission might entail. Anyway, the game tells me I need to go to a place out in the middle of nowhere to pick up the stuff. Great. I head out. Right as I arrive, suddenly the game tells me I need to actually look at four different vehicles scattered around LS and one of those vehicles will have the poo poo. Well, gently caress. Okay then, off I go to each car individually. Finally I find the right one (3rd of 4 I was checking) and I jack it. Immediately, I discover I ping the entire map to my location. And I'm in a slow moving van type vehicle. Well poo poo. I start driving.

Halfway through the trip, I get that thing that happens (I assume everyone has experienced this) where everybody except me drops from the session. I'm by myself, but I'm still in a public session - so I can keep doing CEO stuff but I run zero risk in actually getting the cargo to its destination. I take advantage of that to deliver some cargo for profit, then do another cargo run - this time, I need to pick up three packages. To my surprise, I can only carry one at a time. So I have to drive to a place, pick up one package, drive it back to the warehouse, then go back. Two more times. I can see why this is really designed to be a multiplayer activity because if there were other people in the session that could attack me, I doubt I would've gotten anything done. But hey, luck was with me. I'll need to remember this next time everyone in the session drops - time to do the risky stuff because it's easy money. It just takes time.

Some of the cargo crate stuff is defintiely deisgned to fit the CEO/associate meta that was all that existed at the time. You start up and do a bunch for you, then rotate to a different boss and do some of theirs, etc. No surprise that the next big business (MC) went to a much more solo-friendly model

For that specific crate mission, there's a little trick to pick out the correct vehicle first time. When it tells you whats going on, watch the mini map at the bottom. All 4 dots dont show up at once, they appear one at a time. If you pay attention to the LAST dot that appears, thats going to be your winner. This also applies on the variation where you have to use the phone app. Same thing the blips show up one by one, see which is the last to appear, and go there

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Lucas Archer posted:

Yeah, I’m still feeling my way around the whole mission system and getting used to other players and stuff. I never had any problem with doing random pick up multiplayer in other games like Destiny 1/2, the Souls series, things like that. But in this I’m always a bit nervous because everybody seems to know exactly what to do and I’m just bumblefucking my way through the game.

Plus in "normal" lobbies, these other 20 dudes that know what's going on are out to make your life miserable a lot of the time. So many players now just shoot first and dont even bother asking questions. Then theyll either move on to the next target/easy kill, or keep bothering you until you leave or give up. It's super lovely for newer dudes that are trying to figure things out and play some of the older content

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The severs I tend to land on tend to be an even mix of either:
1) chill people who are all just doing their own grind, maybe sometimes a few people will goof off together and try to stay on the roof of a plane while it's flying or whatever
2) weirdly aggressive where nobody's griefing or trolling but everyone's kind of in that "just kill whoever let's have a big fight" mood
3) dickbags griefing or modders going hog wild

You tend to see the third one more on weekends.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Some of the cargo crate stuff is defintiely deisgned to fit the CEO/associate meta that was all that existed at the time. You start up and do a bunch for you, then rotate to a different boss and do some of theirs, etc. No surprise that the next big business (MC) went to a much more solo-friendly model

For that specific crate mission, there's a little trick to pick out the correct vehicle first time. When it tells you whats going on, watch the mini map at the bottom. All 4 dots dont show up at once, they appear one at a time. If you pay attention to the LAST dot that appears, thats going to be your winner. This also applies on the variation where you have to use the phone app. Same thing the blips show up one by one, see which is the last to appear, and go there

Oh nice, good tips. When I gently caress about with CEO and mission stuff in the future I’ll make sure to keep my eyes open for that kind of stuff. The core elements of running a crime empire are really cool - it almost makes me wish they’d make a single player game with those kind of activities with NPCs who try and stop you. I’d play CEO Crime Syndicate in a heartbeat.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Baron von Eevl posted:

The severs I tend to land on tend to be an even mix of either:
1) chill people who are all just doing their own grind, maybe sometimes a few people will goof off together and try to stay on the roof of a plane while it's flying or whatever
2) weirdly aggressive where nobody's griefing or trolling but everyone's kind of in that "just kill whoever let's have a big fight" mood
3) dickbags griefing or modders going hog wild

You tend to see the third one more on weekends.
I think he was making a "lol no dedicated servers in gta" point.

Its all peer hosted I guess is the term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

FFT posted:

Welp, confirmed for Akuma at least.

Apparently it's cars <$100K, bikes <$10K

At this point, $100k is such chump change nowadays, you should be allowed to steal any car off the street.