Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

well why not posted:

on that note, can anyone tell me if it's possible to make youtube less annoying in safari? no ads and a dark mode would be ideal. Firefox has this neat enhancer suite, i'm a bit hesitant to move from that.

Click on your YouTube profile picture, and you can select dark mode under 'Appearance'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Zenostein posted:

Don't see ads with aguard (safari ver), and there's been a built in dark mode since the last redesign.

Seconding "AdGuard for Safari" to kill Youtube ads. Youtube is the only site I have it installed for, everything else is handled via 1blocker.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I need to do some simple video editing, ultimately exported to OGG format. Is there any good tool for this? It doesn't seem like the Apple or Adobe video editors support OGG natively.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Seconding "AdGuard for Safari" to kill Youtube ads. Youtube is the only site I have it installed for, everything else is handled via 1blocker.

Did you have to pay for 1Blocker to get it to be useful?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ThermoPhysical posted:

Did you have to pay for 1Blocker to get it to be useful?

I paid for a permanent 1Blocker license years ago. I don't know what they gate behind the license these days. I find the developer's excuses about youtube very strange. If AdGuard can figure it out... you can figure it out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

binarysmurf posted:

a) What does OCLP actually do to hoodwink the OS installer into installing onto an unsupported system? It looks like it created a 'fake' UEFI bootloader and boots through that, misrepresenting the model # of my machine thus allowing Big Sur to install - am I close?

yeah, it installs right into the /efi folder and substitutes its own boot code that replaces the BootROM, and some other things that I'm not up on but I'm told are absolutely necessary to allow Big Sur / Monterey to work.

It's super useful depending on the machine, it can allow a Mac Pro 5,1 to use its GPU to do HEVC decoding (something Apple decided not to bother with, they probably thought throwing 5,1 owners a bone with supporting aftermarket AMD GPUs was enough) and older models enabled to use Sidecar.

I'm using it on a Late 2013 rMBP to run Monterey beta 5, and it's a blast.. seems to run tighter than the supported Big Sur, especially on an 8 GB RAM machine..

quote:

b) Given that the machine is totally viable running macOS 11, why would apple choose to EOL it? Seems a bit arbitrary.

Apple really doesn't want to support machines older than 5-6 years, and in some cases they have modded the OS to require newer chipsets like for 802.11ac WiFi and newer GPUs than the Intel HD 4000. Your iMac 2012 is especially suspect, since it uses nVidia GPUs.. The OpenCore Legacy folks have gone the extra mile to fudge support for these older GPUs as much as they can..

For example, Monterey / Big Sur have zero support for the 802.11n chipsets inside the Mac Mini 2012; if you want WiFi support period, it's either a USB dongle or surgery on the logic board + new card.. or you just use built-in Ethernet hooked into an 802.11ac router like everyone else.

quote:

Resources used:
This video is fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M1MepotME0
Website of video creator - cool info and resources on here: https://mrmacintosh.com
OCLP: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

This oughta go in the OP for folks looking to extend the life of their old Mac, but I get the feeling that really needs another thread devoted to it other than Mac Hardware.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 30, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

I paid for a permanent 1Blocker license years ago. I don't know what they gate behind the license these days. I find the developer's excuses about youtube very strange. If AdGuard can figure it out... you can figure it out.
I'd guess it's only blocking using the content blocking API, given the iOS roots. AdGuard's YouTube blocking relies on some traditional desktop extension style JavaScript stuff afaik, available on the Mac, but like 1Blocker not on iOS.

The next iOS/macOS enable common/shared extensions which should help 1Blocker...if they do the scripting tricks needed to block YouTube ads nowadays. AdGuard put up a blog entry detailing things a little bit after that was announced at WWDC:

https://adguard.com/en/blog/apple-wwdc21-browser-extensions-on-ios.html

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I recommend this Firefox addon to block YouTube ads, but you'll need to use Firefox.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Binary Badger posted:

I'm using it on a Late 2013 rMBP to run Monterey beta 5, and it's a blast.. seems to run tighter than the supported Big Sur, especially on an 8 GB RAM machine..

Cool - I'll look forward to the Monterey release then. Might throw some 💰 at the OCLP peeps - I can easily get another year out of my current system now, which means I'll upgrade to the 'Pro' iMac when it's released next year. Brilliant result for me.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Quackles posted:

I recommend this Firefox addon to block YouTube ads, but you'll need to use Firefox.

Sponsorblock is also good.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I remember years ago (like 10-15+), there was a tool that I'm forgetting the name of that let you use one keyboard/mouse across multiple machines, kind of like Sidecar but for multiple computers. Does anything like that exist for MacOS? I have two MacBooks on my desk and it would be super awesome if I could just use one set of peripherals and not need something like VNC or whatever.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Synergy.

Monterey's upcoming universal control is a similar feature.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

nexxai posted:

I remember years ago (like 10-15+), there was a tool that I'm forgetting the name of that let you use one keyboard/mouse across multiple machines, kind of like Sidecar but for multiple computers. Does anything like that exist for MacOS? I have two MacBooks on my desk and it would be super awesome if I could just use one set of peripherals and not need something like VNC or whatever.

I had to check back what the fork of it was, but yes, as mentioned above: Synergy (commercial) or Barrier (OS fork).

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

I had to check back what the fork of it was, but yes, as mentioned above: Synergy (commercial) [...]
Yes! Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking of.

I'll deal with this until Monterrey is out.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is there anything free and good like equalizer APO / Peace for macos?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

teraflame posted:

Is there anything free and good like equalizer APO / Peace for macos?

Not free so feel free to discount but SoundSource is really good and has a built in EQ with saveable presets.

Also let's you force MacOS to have keyboard volume control even if your DAC doesn't support it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Seconding Soundsource, as one of its other perks is that you can increase your volume by much more than what Apple's paltry default settings allow.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rogue Amoeba apps in general are just a good starting point for anything sound related.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Speaking of sound I have the weird thing happening on my M1 macbook pro.

If I leave the computer without rebooting for a few days, at some point it'll start delaying effects of the volume buttons (like I'll push volume down and it'll take 1 second to register and lower the volume one time) AND making a staticy noise when I hit the caps lock button. I thought it was SoundSource interfering but quitting that didn't make a difference.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been having that same problem, but on my pre-M1 Macbook. It seems to be that the computer is lagging whenever I change the volume or accidentally hit the caps lock.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I can't upload photos to Twitter because they're all in HEIC.

Is there any setting that will automatically convert photos before uploading or get Photo's to convert pictures taken on my iPhone to JPEGS when they're synced?

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there any setting that will automatically convert photos before uploading or get Photo's to convert pictures taken on my iPhone to JPEGS when they're synced?

I know this isn't exactly answering your question, but you can set your camera preferences to "Most Compatible" and it'll save JPEGs for pics and MP4s for video.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

HorseHeadBed posted:

I know this isn't exactly answering your question, but you can set your camera preferences to "Most Compatible" and it'll save JPEGs for pics and MP4s for video.

Yeah but it's actually quite nice to have the reduced file sizes on my phone. I've figured out there's a Twitter app that seems to accept HEIC - so its solely a browser issue.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I need to run a piece of Windows software, which I assume is poorly written. It needs to be able read/write via my USB bus (?) to some external hardware! Is Wine appropriate for this? I'm not sure if it would have hardware access, since it is supposed to be only not an emulator. I don't have BootCamp or Fusion.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Toe Rag posted:

I need to run a piece of Windows software, which I assume is poorly written. It needs to be able read/write via my USB bus (?) to some external hardware! Is Wine appropriate for this? I'm not sure if it would have hardware access, since it is supposed to be only not an emulator. I don't have BootCamp or Fusion.

The way Wine works is it replaces the libraries that windows programs use with versions built to run on the target computer instead. As the replacement libraries are constructed using copyright-safe reverse-engineering techniques, there's sometimes a disconnect between what should happen and what actually happens.

Whether your program will work with Wine or not...? Maybe. Try it and see.

There's also the case of if there's any drivers this item needs.

If 'some external hardware' is a copy protection dongle, by the way, I'd say the odds are lower than if it's another hardware item.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

Why not use Fusion? It's free for personal use and has full access to USB devices.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Virtualbox is also an option for hardware access IIRC. I think a hypervisor is your best bet for this. My limited googling suggests that if your USB device requires any specific drivers then you’re probably boned. If your USB device speaks serial then you can probably make it work somehow but that seems like an edge case.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sri.Theo posted:

Another non-answer answer: I've just taken to opening them in Preview and then exporting as JPEG. I don't have to do it very often so it's obviously not a great long term solution but if you only have to do it once in a while, it's not the worst thing in the world.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Anyone know why certain websites seem to absolutely crush the CPU? Seems to be related to WindowServer, but I can't quite suss out why or how to prevent it... WindowServer usage in general seems really high on my machine. Right now it's the highest CPU time of all processes by a factor of 4x.

Idle WindowServer sits at a perpetual 20-25%. Just MOVING MY MOUSE will spike it to 80%+.

edit: someone griped about SteelSeries mice causing it, which I have. Swapped for my old Logitech, no improvement. :\

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 7, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Anyone know why certain websites seem to absolutely crush the CPU? Seems to be related to WindowServer, but I can't quite suss out why or how to prevent it... WindowServer usage in general seems really high on my machine. Right now it's the highest CPU time of all processes by a factor of 4x.

Idle WindowServer sits at a perpetual 20-25%. Just MOVING MY MOUSE will spike it to 80%+.

WindowServer is the process that handles any and all screen updates.
Any website (or program) that updates often will make WindowServer spin up a lot. Funnily enough, one of the best ways to really get worried about how much CPU WindowServer uses is to open up the activity monitor and sort by CPU — every time it needs to update to show exactly how much CPU is being used, WindowServer gets invoked, and invoking it gives it more CPU usage, which means the activity monitor needs to update to reflect the new situation, which yields more CPU usage, which means… etc. :D

This is what gives you that silly high idle WindowServer usage.

It's not actually as high as it seems — the sampling method of the activity monitor is just… interesting, and will happily capture spikes and make those seem like they last much longer than they really do. And with core OS components, that gives a very skewed and incomplete view of what's going on behind the scenes. Usually, it's actually better to look at the Energy screen to see what's causing issues, just because of how the logic of the grouping is done.

That said, it also explains a bit of why some websites cause issues: lots of dynamic updates will inherently invoke WindowServer, if only just to figure out that it's not something that needs to be (re)drawn at this time. Other sites cause similar issues with different daemons, but with sound, for instance: something that is constantly prepping to give off a real-time alert noise will — depending on how cleverly (or not) it's coded — constantly invoke the sound systems just to clarify that it should not play a sound at this very moment, but aaaaany second now…

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tippis posted:

WindowServer is the process that handles any and all screen updates.
Any website (or program) that updates often will make WindowServer spin up a lot. Funnily enough, one of the best ways to really get worried about how much CPU WindowServer uses is to open up the activity monitor and sort by CPU — every time it needs to update to show exactly how much CPU is being used, WindowServer gets invoked, and invoking it gives it more CPU usage, which means the activity monitor needs to update to reflect the new situation, which yields more CPU usage, which means… etc. :D

This is what gives you that silly high idle WindowServer usage.

It's not actually as high as it seems — the sampling method of the activity monitor is just… interesting, and will happily capture spikes and make those seem like they last much longer than they really do. And with core OS components, that gives a very skewed and incomplete view of what's going on behind the scenes. Usually, it's actually better to look at the Energy screen to see what's causing issues, just because of how the logic of the grouping is done.

That said, it also explains a bit of why some websites cause issues: lots of dynamic updates will inherently invoke WindowServer, if only just to figure out that it's not something that needs to be (re)drawn at this time. Other sites cause similar issues with different daemons, but with sound, for instance: something that is constantly prepping to give off a real-time alert noise will — depending on how cleverly (or not) it's coded — constantly invoke the sound systems just to clarify that it should not play a sound at this very moment, but aaaaany second now…

Well, what triggered it was that typing in a reply in Twitter was lagging 20 characters behind my actual typing, which seems insane.

It may/may not be WindowServer itself, but twitter and other websites are pounding an insane amount of CPU and actually inducing performance lag on a relatively high-spec newer 16" MBP. That's insane, is it typical?

edit: yes, I understand and agree that not engaging with Twitter at all is the best fix.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, what triggered it was that typing in a reply in Twitter was lagging 20 characters behind my actual typing, which seems insane.

It may/may not be WindowServer itself, but twitter and other websites are pounding an insane amount of CPU and actually inducing performance lag on a relatively high-spec newer 16" MBP. That's insane, is it typical?

edit: yes, I understand and agree that not engaging with Twitter at all is the best fix.

Not typical, but I've come across something similar.
There's been enough scattered amount of comments about it to make it a known issue, of sorts, but I haven't seen any definitive source for it. The accounts I've heard (and encountered myself) seem to suggest some semi-hung process that keeps intercepting key presses, presumably for some kind of hot key activation, and only when it fails to do anything sensible with it does the input actually get passed on to where it needs to be.

Does it go away (if only temporarily) if you log out and back in again, or reboot?

Violator
May 15, 2003

How the gently caress do I reset mail now?

Mail.app takes over 3 minutes to launch on both my 2015 iMac and 2018 MBP. It just sits there Application Not Responding until eventually the window opens. I have three accounts (1) my personal account with 15k emails, (2) my work account with 19k emails, and my iCloud account with 0 emails. 33k emails doesn't seem like enough to cause the app to hang for 3+ minutes on either device.

I tried rebuilding the mailboxes with no luck so now I'm trying to restore the app to factory defaults and just redownload my mail to force everything fresh.

So far:
- Closed all other apps / menu bar items
- Went into Accounts and deleted both my personal Gmail account and my work Gmail account
- Deleted ~/Library/Mail
- Deleted everything Mail related I could find in ~/Library/Preferences
- Deleted the mail related items I could in ~/Library/Containers
- Disabled my iCloud email account
- Rebooted

I've done these steps multiple times. The app is completely empty with no content, no accounts, and no configuration. It still takes 3+ minutes to launch. I also noticed fseventsd stays around 94% CPU while Mail is launching but then drops down around 0.5% after it's open.

What the gently caress do I have to do to at least get a completely empty Mail.app to launch at a normal speed? Is there a cache or a db somewhere I need to delete?

[Side Note: When I deleted my Gmail accounts, it asked if I also wanted to delete them from my other devices using iCloud Keychain. I said yes and of loving course it doesn't delete them from the other devices.]

Edit: I just launched Mail in the macOS guest account and it opened on the first bounce.

Edit2: Trying OnyX to clear more caches. Probably going to end up hosing everything trying to fix this.

Edit3: Woohoo, looks like OnyX fixed it. Not sure which cache flushing did it since I did several.

Violator fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 7, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Quackles posted:

The way Wine works is it replaces the libraries that windows programs use with versions built to run on the target computer instead. As the replacement libraries are constructed using copyright-safe reverse-engineering techniques, there's sometimes a disconnect between what should happen and what actually happens.

Whether your program will work with Wine or not...? Maybe. Try it and see.

There's also the case of if there's any drivers this item needs.

If 'some external hardware' is a copy protection dongle, by the way, I'd say the odds are lower than if it's another hardware item.

CygnusTM posted:

Why not use Fusion? It's free for personal use and has full access to USB devices.

Martytoof posted:

Virtualbox is also an option for hardware access IIRC. I think a hypervisor is your best bet for this. My limited googling suggests that if your USB device requires any specific drivers then you’re probably boned. If your USB device speaks serial then you can probably make it work somehow but that seems like an edge case.

Welp, it seems only developmental versions of Wine work with macOS Big Sur. I remembered that CrossOver exists and gave that a whirl instead.

I guess that answers that? I guess I need to suck it up and buy a Windows 10 license.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nexxai posted:

Another non-answer answer: I've just taken to opening them in Preview and then exporting as JPEG. I don't have to do it very often so it's obviously not a great long term solution but if you only have to do it once in a while, it's not the worst thing in the world.

You can make a quick Automator action that will do this. I have one so I just right click on the images and it resizes and spits them out to my desktop.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Toe Rag posted:

Welp, it seems only developmental versions of Wine work with macOS Big Sur. I remembered that CrossOver exists and gave that a whirl instead.

I guess that answers that? I guess I need to suck it up and buy a Windows 10 license.

What about one of these for 90 days? Virtual box should be good enough for serial drivers.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 8, 2021

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

You can make a quick Automator action that will do this. I have one so I just right click on the images and it resizes and spits them out to my desktop.

Genius. Thank you.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

There are two goons in sa mart that sell legit licenses for cheap.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

Isn't Windows 10 free to download or did they change that? Like 30 days to buy a license/activate and if you didn't after that, it'd have an unlicensed copy watermark in the corner of the screen and lock out minor stuff like customizing like the desktop background. Probably more important stuff but for basic use the noticeable limitations were just cosmetic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

AlternateAccount posted:

Are you using a DisplayLink "dock" by any chance?