Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Gologle posted:

Man I fuckin' love comic books you guys

Hell, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

The second Jack O'Lantern was a second mercenary (eventually named as Steven Levins) who just bought the old Jack costume from somewhere. He didn't do a lot before getting his head exploded by the Punisher in the Civil War mini-series, but then got resurrected by Lucifer and turned into a Daniel Way Ghost Rider villain. He got un-possessed by Lucifer and exploded again in Ghost Rider. Then he got resurrected in the Clone Conspiracy too.

Is this the guy who appeared in Spectacular Spiderman directly after the Clone Saga wrapped up?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

The original Jack O'Lantern (Jason Macendale) was a mercenary with a vaguely Green Goblin-inspired gimmick. He was the last man standing in the late 1980s when there was an absolute clusterfuck of "WHO IS HOBGOBLIN?" and while all of the original picks either got killed or disappeared, they revealed Macendale had found the original Hobgoblin's Battle Van and became the new Hobgoblin, who went on to get demonically infected, then freed of the demon, then turned into a cyborg, then killed, then brought back as a clone. He is (probably) currently Hobgoblin, or at least one of them, but he hasn't explicitly appeared anywhere since the Clone Conspiracy.

Was Macendale a candidate? I thought the two big ones were Ned Leeds and Roderick Kingsley and of course they settled on the obvious choice with all the evidence KingsleyLeeds.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

Is this the guy who appeared in Spectacular Spiderman directly after the Clone Saga wrapped up?
That was the Daniel Berkhart (aka Mysterio II) and Maguire Beck, the original Mysterio's cousin. But none of that appears to have been explained until almost five years later in THE MYSTERIO MANIFESTO mini-series.

Dawgstar posted:

Was Macendale a candidate? I thought the two big ones were Ned Leeds and Roderick Kingsley and of course they settled on the obvious choice with all the evidence KingsleyLeeds.
Macendale wasn't a candidate, he was just a character floating around (and feuding!) with Hobgoblin.

Stern wanted it to be Roderick Kingsley but left the book before he finished the plotline. He explained it to DeFalco (it involved him having a barely mentioned brother as an accomplice) and DeFalco didn't like it, so DeFalco's plan was to make Richard Fisk the Hobgoblin, and Roderick Kingsley The Rose.

But then a year or so into DeFalco/Frenz's run, Danny Fingeroth was replaced by Jim Owsley as the editor of the Spider-Man books. DeFalco and Owsley did not get along, and as DeFalco continued to drag out the mystery of Hobgoblin, Owsley demanded DeFalco at least tell him who he planned to reveal as the Hobgoblin's secret identity; DeFalco lied and told him Ned Leeds, and more or less out of spite Owsley fired DeFalco, wrote the Spider-Man/Wolverine one-shot where Ned Leeds turns up dead with his throat slit. Allegedly Owsley was going to have Foreigner revealed to be Hobgoblin, but before that happened Owsley got fired and incoming editor Jim Salicrup wrapped the whole thing up with a fill-in issue that revealed yes, Ned Leeds was the Hobgoblin and yes, he got killed in a one-shot. But Macendale/Jack O'Lantern found his gear so he's the One True Hobgoblin now!

THE END.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

But then a year or so into DeFalco/Frenz's run, Danny Fingeroth was replaced by Jim Owsley as the editor of the Spider-Man books. DeFalco and Owsley did not get along, and as DeFalco continued to drag out the mystery of Hobgoblin, Owsley demanded DeFalco at least tell him who he planned to reveal as the Hobgoblin's secret identity; DeFalco lied and told him Ned Leeds, and more or less out of spite Owsley fired DeFalco, wrote the Spider-Man/Wolverine one-shot where Ned Leeds turns up dead with his throat slit. Allegedly Owsley was going to have Foreigner revealed to be Hobgoblin, but before that happened Owsley got fired and incoming editor Jim Salicrup wrapped the whole thing up with a fill-in issue that revealed yes, Ned Leeds was the Hobgoblin and yes, he got killed in a one-shot. But Macendale/Jack O'Lantern found his gear so he's the One True Hobgoblin now!

THE END.

That sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole with the drama behind the scenes. Shooter asking Priest why he fired DeFalco and Priest responding "it was your idea!" with Shooter answering "Well I didn't think you'd actually do it" sure is a vibe. Priest and DeFalco had quite the grudge it seems.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I genuinely love that there's so much drama and history tied to the Green Goblin but orange.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheHan posted:

I genuinely love that there's so much drama and history tied to the Green Goblin but orange.

It’s fitting as I have always heard there was also drama with the original green goblin.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Was Kingsley gay or at least written to be? He is a fashion designer created in the 80s and I felt that at least in his first appearance he was gay coded

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

radlum posted:

Was Kingsley gay or at least written to be? He is a fashion designer created in the 80s and I felt that at least in his first appearance he was gay coded

Roger Stern touches on this a bit in an interview in Comics Creators on Spider-Man:

Roger Stern posted:

"When I first created [Roderick Kingsley], I described him as a cross between Rex Reed, who was this famous newspaper columnist and television personality at the time, and Jim Backus, who played Thurston Howell III on the old GILLIGAN'S ISLAND television show. ... Mike Zeck read my description of Kingsley and drew him in some very effeminate poses. When the book came out, some readers complained because they thought we were making fun of gays in the fashion industry. Kingsley wasn't gay; he was just a little effeminate."

So-- no. But he really does come off as the kind of gay man that a straight writer would create in the 80s, doesn't he? There's this one panel of him with his palms flat against either side of his face in shock saying "Oh, ghod" that really really seems to be drawing on 60s-80s era gay tropes, but I'll take Stern at his word that he was just meant to be a little effete.

There's some similar ambivalence a decade and change earlier with the Daredevil villain Starr Saxon, who'd later become the out gay villain Machinesmith. In that case Barry Windsor Smith has acknowledged that Saxon was supposed to be drawn in such a way as to suggest that he was gay, but admits but at that very early stage in his career (1969) it doesn't really come off. Which is sort of true-- he gives Saxon this very big, loose body language which I guess is meant to read as flamboyance and extravagance but in practice he mostly just looks kind of stoned and sloppy, like he's seconds away from accidentally knocking all his gadgets to the floor. C'est la guerre I guess.

Edit: Here are a few BWS Starr Saxon panels just so people can see for themselves. I chose a handful that I think most clearly convey BWS' intent:

I imagine BWS meant for Saxon's hands to do a lot of his emoting for him-- you can see what he was aiming for if you look at the very elongated, stylized choreography he gives to Saxon's hands throughout this little arc.

I'll be honest, I think about Saxon and to a lesser extent Kingsley quite a bit, since I'm very interested in how straight media constructed a universal language of "queer" body language and movement over the course of the 20th century. Part of this stems from criminology textbooks and travel guides from the very late 19th and very early 20th century which are full of physiological tips to "spot" gay men, and very quickly branches out into silent comedies, and then from there American mass media is kind of off to the races in terms of the gay male body. I think it's interesting stuff, but as you can hopefully see above, quite difficult to pin down in a medium with static or quasi-static images like comic books.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 5, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

It’s fitting as I have always heard there was also drama with the original green goblin.

Steve Ditko quit over the Green Goblin's secret identity.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Steve Ditko quit over the Green Goblin's secret identity.

Isn’t that an urban legend? Wasn’t it the case that Stan lee and ditko were no even speaking at that point?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bobkatt013 posted:

Isn’t that an urban legend? Wasn’t it the case that Stan lee and ditko were no even speaking at that point?
It depends a lot on who you want to believe, Lee (in the 1960s) admitted they weren't getting along and for the most part Ditko dropped off the pages with notes in the margins and Lee would script based off of those. John Romita (who took over the book right after Ditko quit and drew the Green Goblin reveal) has consistently said that he was told Ditko quit the book over the Green Goblin reveal, and over the years various other Marvel office folks (and Stan Lee well into the 2010s) also said this was the breaking point for Ditko.

Ditko in a 2009 essay claimed that Norman Osborn as Green Goblin was his idea in an essay, and that he quit because Stan Lee wouldn't even come out and speak to him when he was dropping off some pages. There have been comments and interviews over the years where "creative differences" -- from Lee trying to smooth over the prickly Objectivist edges of Ditko's Spider-Man, to Ditko hating guest stars "ruining the individuality" of the starring heroes, to credit/compensation issues -- that probably all played a significant role.

Whether or not the Green Goblin reveal played a role, primary or otherwise, in him quitting, the fact is that Lee, Romita, Brodsky, etc. have at least claimed that it was why Ditko left since he left in the 1960s elevates it past "urban legend" to at least... "dubious company line" or something?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Can anybody explain what the marks on Prince of Power's cheeks are supposed to be? When I saw them on his original schlubby form, I thought he just had jelly beans stuck to his face, but he still has them as Prince of Power... sometimes.

Is that his He-Man cutie mark, or is just some kind of equivalent of that one art trend where everybody had permanent blush on their cheekbones?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are pages and spoilers out do the next ASM issue and they're uh, kind of stupid.

it's not Harry.

it's G W E N

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

There are pages and spoilers out do the next ASM issue and they're uh, kind of stupid.

it's not Harry.

it's G W E N

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haha I know right?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Am I going to regret asking for context to that spoiler?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Am I going to regret asking for context to that spoiler?

Yes.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

it's not Harry.

it's G W E N

Oh gently caress off.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wow are you loving kidding me.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Pretty sure that's a fakeout.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Those pages aren’t even leaks. They are the official preview pages. So I’d imagine there’s more to it than just that. There are also rumors that there’s a big retcon undoing a terrible story in this issue. Not the story everyone has been thinking it is though. Apparently it might undo Sins Past/Remembered, not One More Day.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's actually uncle Ben

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

it's not Harry.

it's G W E N

:negative:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

it's not Harry.

it's G W E N

I mean given it's in the preview, it could be a fakeout.

My out there guess: (given the whole thing with the Mephisto deal with Norman trading his firstborn and we know that Norman likewise kidnapped Peter's firstborn) is that Kindred is Baby May Parker! Dun dun DUN!

X-O posted:

Those pages aren’t even leaks. They are the official preview pages. So I’d imagine there’s more to it than just that. There are also rumors that there’s a big retcon undoing a terrible story in this issue. Not the story everyone has been thinking it is though. Apparently it might undo Sins Past/Remembered, not One More Day.

Given we now know that MJ had Mysterio as a therapist at some point between Harry's Death & Sins Past proper, that seems likely. Can anyone else say 'false memories'?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean given it's in the preview, it could be a fakeout.

My out there guess: (given the whole thing with the Mephisto deal with Norman trading his firstborn and we know that Norman likewise kidnapped Peter's firstborn) is that Kindred is Baby May Parker! Dun dun DUN!

Congratulations on coming up with something even loving dumber than Rhyno's spoilers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't you link me to that poo poo as if I came up with it.

I just shared the pain

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't believe rhyno is nick spencer and is writing bad spider-man

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"ANYTHING other than Slott writing Spider-Man!"
*Monkey paw's finger curls*

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm hopeful for the new team taking over in October.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

Tired of seeing other destroy spider-man, he decided to it himself

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno can't possibly be Nick Spencer because no comic book writers survive this subforum as long as he has.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

Rhyno can't possibly be Nick Spencer because no comic book writers survive this subforum as long as he has.

I am also not a racist rear end in a top hat.

I'm just a regular rear end in a top hat.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

look Rhyno might be terrible but I cannot believe he would have written SECRET EMPIRE

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Congratulations on coming up with something even loving dumber than Rhyno's spoilers.

You’re welcome.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rhyno posted:

it's not Harry.

it's G W E N

Just cackling right now

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Oops

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I can't open any of the comics that dropped yesterday in Unlimited. Is anyone else having trouble?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Beerdeer posted:

I can't open any of the comics that dropped yesterday in Unlimited. Is anyone else having trouble?

Thank god it’s not just me. I can’t get anything new to open, even after reinstalling the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just checked and Immortal Hulk at least worked for me. This is on Android.

They just announced a new X-Men thing dropping exclusively on Unlimited on Thursday by Hickman and Declan Shalvey, so maybe they hosed around with the back end if it's supposed to be a unique format that only works on screens.