Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Barudak posted:

In hindsight it was still, somehow, the wrong move.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Grittybeard posted:

Speaking of trades I just stumbled across this again

Whew.

Not even close to the worst trade conducted by the Vikings either.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Nothing before 1998 matters

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ZenVulgarity posted:

Nothing before 1998 matters

Joe Montana and Steve Young say you're a liar.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I never thought Vick would make the HoF – my impression as a casual Euro fan is that you qualify on either lots of ringz, gaudy stats or being well-liked by the voters. Vick lacks the first, doesn’t have enough of the second and is probably too divisive for the third.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Vick is, to me, a prime example of how ignorance can cause people to do horrible things and how someone can sincerely learn from their mistakes, as a result I don’t hold the dog fighting against him anymore.

I also can’t think of a player that me and every single one of my friends thought was cooler than Atlanta Falcons Michael Vick. He had the same effect on pickup football that Michael Jordan had on pickup basketball.

Impact on the game should be enough imho but I completely understand why it isn’t.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't the falcons play in goatse stadium? It has a butthole for a roof

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Don't the falcons play in goatse stadium? It has a butthole for a roof

All that's missing is the ring.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Mike Vick wasn't as good as he was hyped up to be, but you can also say that about literally every mobile QB in NFL history except Mahomes. They have a fantastic season or two here or there, but the realities of injury, adaptation, and the fact that good teams with good coaches tend to prey on them in the postseason always catches up to them. They're fun to watch, but aside from Mahomes none of them have had the skills to have a truly great career.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Eifert Posting posted:

All that's missing is the ring.

:eyepop:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

K8.0 posted:

Mike Vick wasn't as good as he was hyped up to be, but you can also say that about literally every mobile QB in NFL history except Mahomes. They have a fantastic season or two here or there, but the realities of injury, adaptation, and the fact that good teams with good coaches tend to prey on them in the postseason always catches up to them. They're fun to watch, but aside from Mahomes none of them have had the skills to have a truly great career.

Mahomes has already started getting concussions. He's super fun and I hope he has a long career, but it's absolutely possible he comes back to earth in the same way as his predecessors

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Absolutely, I almost put a bit into my post about how Mahomes career could be ruined by the fact that the Chiefs haven't protected him, but I figured it was sort of missing the point and they have made some OL upgrades this year. The physical abuse his playstyle puts on him is tremendous even if he never got hit. There's certainly no guarantee that he has a great career, like anyone in the NFL it could go poof at any time - but if the Chiefs understand that they need to treat his mobility as a bonus and not something to build a team around, his passing accuracy and power as well as general QB skills can keep him an elite QB in the game for a long time. I expect there are only so many 50 yard bombs you can throw while running the wrong way across the field before your shoulder completely explodes, it can't be half of their plays.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Imagine if qb eagles had literally any coach other than buddy " offense is for nerds" ryan.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I don't think it's the protection that's the issue, it's the amount of times that he extends the play into the "treated as a runner" ruleset. If they could convince him to abandon going for first downs if he's going to take a hit he'd last a lot longer, but it feels like he's not (yet) willing to do that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

tarbrush posted:

I don't think it's the protection that's the issue, it's the amount of times that he extends the play into the "treated as a runner" ruleset. If they could convince him to abandon going for first downs if he's going to take a hit he'd last a lot longer, but it feels like he's not (yet) willing to do that.

I don’t think the Chiefs make any Super Bowls without Mahomes being exactly what he is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tarbrush posted:

I don't think it's the protection that's the issue, it's the amount of times that he extends the play into the "treated as a runner" ruleset.

This may be an insignificant distinction because the result is the same. But my interpretation is that he doesn't do that this much, when he decides to run he runs (and frustratingly is willing to lower a shoulder into someone too often).

The problem is he's willing to backpedal forever in an effort to extend plays, then runs around the backfield dodging guys. We're really saying the same thing in different ways, he should still be a quarterback until he takes off in theory but it doesn't matter much because he's gonna eat hits.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

I just want to see Jon relieve perhaps his greatest Twitter moment

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/828444534472372225?s=20

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 6, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember when the Falcons traded a first for peerless price

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember when the Falcons traded a first for peerless price

Calling your kid "Peerless" really feels like tempting fate.

Also trading a 1st for a guy who had 1 great season out of nowhere in Buffalo I guess!

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1434874951463579653?s=19

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Practice squad should be named covid replacement squad.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

boop the snoot posted:

Practice squad should be named covid replacement squad.

Covid Crew.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hizawk posted:

Covid Crew.

:hmmyes:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Joe Montana and Steve Young say you're a liar.

What does this even mean? Yes anything that happened before 1998 isn't relevant anymore it doesn't matter. Really anything before there being 32 teams does not matter.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Metapod posted:

What does this even mean? Yes anything that happened before 1998 isn't relevant anymore it doesn't matter. Really anything before there being 32 teams does not matter.

If you’re willing to move the bar in your own post then I think it’s fair to say there’s no consensus.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

He is. Your heroes of the past played against unathletic cornboys that got into the NFL by running meat first into each other with no skill. They were slower, weaker, and less agile than present day 4th round picks. Players of today have access to way more training, nutrition, and advocacy for full time dedication to football. Their skill can only translate so much if they're physically worse than every D1 athlete now.

Nobody could accuse me of "good ol' days syndrome", but I think its unfair to say athletes of 30-50 years ago couldn't compete with modern athletes without a few qualifiers. If you plucked a guy out of 1980 and dropped him into 2020, sure, he hasn't been training from birth to be an NFL running back, with the latest in training, weightlifting, and nutrition technology, but if they were born at the same time there is no evidence to suggest they wouldn't be just as competitive.

Your boy Eli looks like a monkfish but played QB at the highest level, along with his brother. Either a) they somehow got Extra Athletic genes from their father who was just OK in the 80s on a losing team, OR their success had more to do with a lifetime of free NFL coaching, training, and guidance.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think lineman are the exception, since you can't train to be 6'7", 350lbs, and with a larger population there are just more of them to choose from.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

If you’re willing to move the bar in your own post then I think it’s fair to say there’s no consensus.

Time moves forward the game changes if there are fundamental league changes such as added teams, major game rule changes, major roster management regulations added, schedule changes, etc the years before them stop mattering as the game is different and if they're no players in a draft class in the league remaining then that year especially doesn't matter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In a way, nothing matters.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think it's cool to remember the history of the sport.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

In a way, nothing matters.

No this year definitely matters

Grittybeard posted:

I think it's cool to remember the history of the sport.

There's a difference between remembering the history with admiration and trying to act like those who played before the current stars were born are relevant

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
E: misread whoopsie

E2 actually no I’ll post it anyway

People still say Mossed even in high schools.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 6, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

boop the snoot posted:

E: misread whoopsie

E2 actually no I’ll post it anyway

People still say Mossed even in high schools.

Please stop hanging around high schools

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The stalemate continues

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1434903360600109063

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The stalemate continues

I still don't understand the decision making here. Yeah I get it there are no good answers and Watson is a valuable asset despite being a trash person who doesn't want anything to do with the Texans but...

It seems like you'd either go full speed ahead and start him or suspend him either way instead of this. If you suspend him other teams will remember he's good at football should he stay available. Putting him on the scout team and benching him doesn't seem worse than suspension for his future trade price. Doing the NFL a solid for future consideration and making it so Goodell doesn't have to weigh in just yet?

Is there some procedural reason they can't suspend him?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

tarbrush posted:

Mahomes has already started getting concussions. He's super fun and I hope he has a long career, but it's absolutely possible he comes back to earth in the same way as his predecessors

???

He's had one concussion and it was at Tech

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kiimo posted:

???

He's had one concussion and it was at Tech

Uhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_xfXiUbyu8

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Is there some procedural reason they can't suspend him?

No.

The Texans are not suspending him because they want the NFL to make a move so they have ground to recoup salary cap, but they also don't want to do anything that decreases their future leverage for a trade.

The NFL doesn't want to do anything supposedly because, they claim, they have to wait for the legal process to play out which is of course nonsense. They don't want to sully one of the five best QBs in the league, almost certainly because owners are whispering behind the scenes that they'd like to make a move for watson if everything resolves behind the scenes (bribes, payoffs, settlements, etc). notably, I wouldn't be shocked if David Tepper were one of the ones doing this.

Add on to this that the Texans are run by a complete failson idiot enthralled by a religious zealot like loving Theoden, and the NFL is run by a loving failson talk radio fan who only got his job because his daddy was in politics, and you have a situation where no one in a leadership position is capable of making a tough decision.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is kind of a gray area here, he gets hit in the vagus nerve in his neck and gets knocked out because of it. It's not his brain hitting the skull so that's different than "he's started getting concussions"

maybe someone with an actual medical background can explain this better than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He looked pretty dazed. I certainly wouldn't put it past an NFL team, or their doctors, to conceal the true nature of an injury to a star QB.