Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Didn't they quit 40k cuz GW cease and desisted them?

P dumb imo. Do they hate free marketing?

No actual action but GW said they were against fan animations and they jumped ship to someone that won't suddenly C&D them for silly animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

I'm pretty sure we have an explicit 'Yes please' stance on fan content.

Excellent.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Didn't they quit 40k cuz GW cease and desisted them?

P dumb imo. Do they hate free marketing?

GW hates everything you might define as "reasonable business decisions"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GW also had a copyright case go so poorly for them that they lost some of their own! They were trying to sue over some really generic terms like "Space Marine" and "Imperial Guard" and when they lost they decided to rename a bunch of their model range into weirdo fake latin names.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I’m interested in seeing whether the Anbennar community tries to port the mod’s setting (or an 1836 equivalent) to Victoria 3. It surely can’t be that difficult to add fantasy species to a pop’s definition using modern Paradox modding support.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

I’m interested in seeing whether the Anbennar community tries to port the mod’s setting (or an 1836 equivalent) to Victoria 3. It surely can’t be that difficult to add fantasy species to a pop’s definition using modern Paradox modding support.

Culture?

I remember a mod I made for V2 had Cthulhu monsters as general/admiral portraits by overwriting the Native American slots (since I don't think they were ever used by vanilla countries at the game start, only releasables)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Enjoy posted:

Culture?

I remember a mod I made for V2 had Cthulhu monsters as general/admiral portraits by overwriting the Native American slots (since I don't think they were ever used by vanilla countries at the game start, only releasables)

Problematic

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I haven't seen Suzerain come up in here, but it's on sale and a lot of you would enjoy it. The game 's setting strongly resembles a Paradox mod in the style of presentation and what's emphasized, though it's a text-based adventure game with a little bit of chrome from mapgames. There are no real win conditions and it takes around 4-5 hours to explore and play the main narrative, though I will go back to try other paths.

To me the narrative and character development really stood out as well thought-out. The writers created an alternate world 1953 where you rise to power in a bitterly divided country and try to get your agenda done, mainly through dialog trees. Paradox players will quickly notice that the variables and triggers are pretty simple (the economy is at 4/10 in the below screenshot, and that's about as complicated as it gets) and often you just have to guess if your decisions will turn out well. I think this works fine in this format, but know that this is as almost as far from a Vicky-style simulation you can get. The politics and philosophy will also not blow your mind but you do have considerable freedom to pursue a variety of historicalish paths in a pretty fleshed-out scenario.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://www.breakit.se/artikel/3002...-tystnadskultur

I dunno what this says but seems significant according to twitter

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fuf posted:

https://www.breakit.se/artikel/3002...-tystnadskultur

I dunno what this says but seems significant according to twitter

Some highlights courtesy of google translate (so pinch of salt for machine translation):

quote:

In August, the two unions Unionen and Sveriges Ingenjörer conducted an employee survey at Paradox Interactive. The survey concerned the work environment and it was conducted in the Swedish part of the business.

When the answers from the 133 employees who chose to participate in the survey (the company has a little more than 400 employees in Sweden) were to be compiled, it turned out that almost half, 44 percent, have experienced abusive / incorrect treatment, or "mistreatment" as it is called in the English data that Breakit has read.

Among the female employees, who make up 26 per cent of the respondents in the survey, the answers were even worse - 69 per cent answered that they had experienced abusive treatment. The corresponding figure for men was 33 percent.

"Offensive treatment is a systematic and far too common problem at Paradox," reads the conclusion from the unions concerned.

When Breakit [spoke to] Fredrik Wester on Thursday, he knew about the employee survey, but said that he had not had time to get acquainted with the results. Instead, he referred to the company's HR manager Marina Hedman.

When asked what role the employee survey played in Ebba Ljungerud's departure, Wester replied "None."

[We asked], But what views do you and Ebba not share then?

"We will discuss it another time. I can get back to you when I can answer that, maybe next week ", replied Wester.

"Paradox is now in the process of bringing in an external, neutral company to conduct a thorough review of our processes and a comprehensive employee survey," Paradox's communications manager wrote on Friday.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I haven't seen Suzerain come up in here, but it's on sale and a lot of you would enjoy it. The game 's setting strongly resembles a Paradox mod in the style of presentation and what's emphasized, though it's a text-based adventure game with a little bit of chrome from mapgames. There are no real win conditions and it takes around 4-5 hours to explore and play the main narrative, though I will go back to try other paths.

To me the narrative and character development really stood out as well thought-out. The writers created an alternate world 1953 where you rise to power in a bitterly divided country and try to get your agenda done, mainly through dialog trees. Paradox players will quickly notice that the variables and triggers are pretty simple (the economy is at 4/10 in the below screenshot, and that's about as complicated as it gets) and often you just have to guess if your decisions will turn out well. I think this works fine in this format, but know that this is as almost as far from a Vicky-style simulation you can get. The politics and philosophy will also not blow your mind but you do have considerable freedom to pursue a variety of historicalish paths in a pretty fleshed-out scenario.

I can't recommend this game enough, it's an absolute blast.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

If recent examples are any indicator, the external company they'll bring in will have been involved in war crimes.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Mokotow posted:

If recent examples are any indicator, the external company they'll bring in will have been involved in war crimes.

Technically that already happened, with the prison architect guys. Red cross contacted them and asked to change red crosses in their game because it's against Geneva convention

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Technically that already happened, with the prison architect guys. Red cross contacted them and asked to change red crosses in their game because it's against Geneva convention

I think HoI4 had the same issue (support equipment had a red cross on the medical gear at one point)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mokotow posted:

I think you're confusing things. The external company was union busters, the company itself was the one with war criminals. Unless the union busters were also war criminals, which to be fair, is not out of the question.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think you're confusing things. The external company was union busters, the company itself was the one with war criminals. Unless the union busters were also war criminals, which to be fair, is not out of the question.

I assumed Mokotow was referring to White Wolf dragging Paradox into an international incident over the war crimes in Chechnya, rather than Blizzard hiring some trump admin people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I assumed Mokotow was referring to White Wolf dragging Paradox into an international incident over the war crimes in Chechnya, rather than Blizzard hiring some trump admin people.
Wasn't that just having takes too hot for people to handle, not actual involvement in the war crimes? In any case, games development would be a lot better off if it stayed away from war crimes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it is about time that paradox had an internal reckoning, i hope it is real and serious. you can tell from the posting of some of our former and current paradox dev friends on this forum that something went very very wrong with paradox's internal culture in the last few years.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

this is the price we have to pay for vicky 3

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jeoh posted:

If that's the price they can keep it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

one hopes that wiz isn't an rear end in a top hat and the v3 team is a relative safe zone from bad behavior but idk

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Also, the fuckhead who presided over the company during the NWW fiasco is back.

:kheldragar:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Say it ain't so. :smith: :smith: :smith:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, the fuckhead who presided over the company during the NWW fiasco is back.

:kheldragar:

I'm not familiar with the NWW fiasco what is that?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Abusing employees is just getting into the Victorian spirit.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jeoh posted:

Yeah no. Reading the results of this survey was absolutely heartbreaking and I'm personally insistent that this poo poo is handled in a good way and not swept under the rug and that the investigation is actually impartial because this is not acceptable.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The fact that this survey only happened thanks to the unions goes on to show how vital unionisation is for the health of the games industry.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fredrik is a cool guy I saw an interview where he said he writes back to every customer who writes to him and he complained that never happens to him anymore so I sent him an email and he wrote a nice email back.

I know men have a blind spot for this sort of thing so I'm just going to hope that while he was writing me a nice email he wasn't screaming abuse at four women in his line of sight.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/union-survey-alleges-culture-of-mistreatment-at-paradox-interactive

It's basically the same story as Ubisoft and Blizzard and the rest of them.

Some Upper management shitbag did something total unacceptable, there was a cover up, I imagine whatever he/she/they did had something to do with 69% of female Paradox employee having experience mistreatment.

No offence Wiz, this is getting old, really old.

Luck the Swedish Unions are going to give you a bollocking too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/union-survey-alleges-culture-of-mistreatment-at-paradox-interactive

Some Upper management shitbag did something total unacceptable, there was a cover up, I imagine whatever he/she/they did had something to do with 69% of female Paradox employee having experience mistreatment.

I feel like we're missing some elaboration on what constitutes mistreatment to see if it's the same story as Blizzard. Maybe in very general terms, with harassment and shielding management from consequences, but the poo poo going on at Blizzard seems like the next evolution. Based on some of the statements coming out on Blizzard, the number wouldn't be 69% for "mere" mistreatment, but straight up sexual assault - a lot of it in plain view of co-workers. Of course Blizzard's behavior is arguably bad enough that RICO charges would be appropriate, given the organized nature of the wanton criminality there, so Paradox Interactive could be a long way from being as bad and still be really loving bad.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like we're missing some elaboration on what constitutes mistreatment to see if it's the same story as Blizzard. Maybe in very general terms, with harassment and shielding management from consequences, but the poo poo going on at Blizzard seems like the next evolution. Based on some of the statements coming out on Blizzard, the number wouldn't be 69% for "mere" mistreatment, but straight up sexual assault - a lot of it in plain view of co-workers. Of course Blizzard's behavior is arguably bad enough that RICO charges would be appropriate, given the organized nature of the wanton criminality there, so Paradox Interactive could be a long way from being as bad and still be really loving bad.

the picture you get from some of the posts of paradox employees here is more along the lines of being verbally browbeated and having your creative input straight up ignored in favor of mandated nonsense features to sell DLC. they had to create a whole separate team for stellaris that would just focus on fixing broken poo poo because the devs kept raising the alarm on tech debt and being told to shut up and make more deliverables. a culture of bullying by management seems like a better way to look at it rather than sexual assault or anything like that, at least until more details are available

not gonna name names on the devs in question but i'm sure people who follow most of the paradox threads here know what i'm talking about

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 6, 2021

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

the picture you get from some of the posts of paradox employees here is more along the lines of being verbally browbeated and having your creative input straight up ignored in favor of mandated nonsense features to sell DLC. they had to create a whole separate team for stellaris that would just focus on fixing broken poo poo because the devs kept raising the alarm on tech debt and being told to shut up and make more deliverables. a culture of bullying by management seems like a better way to look at it rather than sexual assault or anything like that, at least until more details are available

not gonna name names on the devs in question but i'm sure people who follow most of the paradox threads here know what i'm talking about

Not trying to downplay, because this is extremely poo poo, but it does seem to be the norm in videogames nowadays.

if you can shovel literal hundreds of DLCs, lootboxes and basically lottery tickets inside games, the potential revenue will make some people blind to anything else

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

RagnarokZ posted:

*sadly uninstalls Mount & Blade franchise titles*

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

one hopes that wiz isn't an rear end in a top hat and the v3 team is a relative safe zone from bad behavior but idk

I had the pleasure of meeting Wiz during the first (I believe) Paradox Convention in Stockholm and he was very nice, and very patient with a lot of people and struck me as a genuinely nice person. He took a few Goons and people from the associated discord out to a local bar that was just amazing, and was like all caverns and caves and whatnot and was really neat! If you are a big Star Citizen fanboy there may be problems. Groogy was exceptionally friendly as well. I did not have the opportunity to meet any other Paradox folks, with the exception of... the name escapes me, but he did a fair amount of mods I believe, and he was not with Paradox at the time, but now I believe he is.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Flavahbeast posted:

*sadly uninstalls Mount & Blade franchise titles*

They Self-publish Bannerlords.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Jazerus posted:

Bit of a weird mix of bad management and abusive behaviour here. The abusive behaviour is bad enough on it's own without trying to push some anti-DLC quality of product angle to it.

That said, fix your poo poo PDX, abusive behaviour is not acceptable anywhere.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Bit of a weird mix of bad management and abusive behaviour here. The abusive behaviour is bad enough on it's own without trying to push some anti-DLC quality of product angle to it.

That said, fix your poo poo PDX, abusive behaviour is not acceptable anywhere.

you don't think bad management counts as 'mistreatment' when it involves making employees do work they are dissatisfied with, that they feel bad about? i think it's strange for you to discount the importance of that when paradox very much advertises themselves as being a creative space for creative people to work on games they love. it is genuinely not clear to me that whatever swedish word is being translated as "mistreatment" strictly means "abusive behavior" and you trying to insinuate that i'm "pushing an angle" is lovely. i'm not anti-DLC, i'm anti-bad management.

obviously abusive behavior is part of the conversation here but i think that some teams having a creatively stifling culture is also probably not something that paradox employees enjoy and it's an issue they should probably address! if i was working on a paradox game i liked a lot, wanted to fix bugs that are very irritating to users or implement features i think would be cool, and my boss said "no, no, go make this feature that the marketing team thinks will sell and ignore the bug reports" i would feel 'mistreated' particularly if my boss was a real rear end in a top hat about dismissing my ideas and concerns over and over again

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 7, 2021

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
From someone on reddit who seems to be the union's press guy it does sound like the translation is making it sound harsher than the union's actual statement was putting it, but tbh even for the most generous to paradox reading of "mistreatment" that twice as many of the women responding were saying it happened to them as the men responding were saying points to some serious issues at paradox.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Jazerus posted:

you don't think bad management counts as 'mistreatment' when it involves making employees do work they are dissatisfied with, that they feel bad about? i think it's strange for you to discount the importance of that when paradox very much advertises themselves as being a creative space for creative people to work on games they love. it is genuinely not clear to me that whatever swedish word is being translated as "mistreatment" strictly means "abusive behavior" and you trying to insinuate that i'm "pushing an angle" is lovely. i'm not anti-DLC, i'm anti-bad management.

obviously abusive behavior is part of the conversation here but i think that some teams having a creatively stifling culture is also probably not something that paradox employees enjoy and it's an issue they should probably address! if i was working on a paradox game i liked a lot, wanted to fix bugs that are very irritating to users or implement features i think would be cool, and my boss said "no, no, go make this feature that the marketing team thinks will sell and ignore the bug reports" i would feel 'mistreated' particularly if my boss was a real rear end in a top hat about dismissing my ideas and concerns over and over again

If the article is simply that PDX are asking people to work on things they don't want to and potentially not taking on ideas from staff, then I don't know why anybody is even talking about it.

One thing is arguably bad business and certainly bad PR, the other thing is bullying and abusive behaviour.

Being creatively unfulfilled by management decisions is not mistreatment, bullying or abuse, suggesting that it is is an insult to people actually suffering those things.

Considering the strong reaction from PDX staff on social media and in this very thread, somehow I doubt people's creativity being stifled is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
PDX should never have gone public.