Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

YggdrasilTM posted:

Fearless adversary
Creature - Human Scout

Lifelink

When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay 1W any number of times. When you pay for once or more, put that many courage counters on ~.

Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each courage counter on ~.

Whoof, that one toughness puts a huge target on this guy's back. Especially since they can Shock him etc. before the courage counters go on.

But maybe a 3/1 lifelinker for 2 with late-game upside is enough to see play on its own? That's a pretty sad-feeling mythic if that's the main reason you're playing it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jabor posted:

Whoof, that one toughness puts a huge target on this guy's back. Especially since they can Shock him etc. before the courage counters go on.

But maybe a 3/1 lifelinker for 2 with late-game upside is enough to see play on its own? That's a pretty sad-feeling mythic if that's the main reason you're playing it though.

Works pretty well with vial and blink effects, for what it's worth?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

!Klams posted:

So in this context, yeah, of course Eldraine was the most broken set ever. We'll probably get another even more broken set, because 'yes', categorically, that DID constitute a HUGE success.

This is the only part I'm not sure about. While Eldraine obviously made money, I think they're still at least a little aware of and concerned about tail risks catching up to them if they flat out ignore the health of the game in favor of $$$ at every turn. Yeah cash is the ultimate goal, and whale milking and increasing the amount of gambling and setting prices based on the secondary market and everything is definitely stuff they're doing, but I think the Standard legal sets are something they still want to keep playable and fun for people if they can so they have a continuing entry point for new and casual players. They thought they could massively push sets like Eldraine and still do that, but I think blowing it badly clearly did lead to toning down the power level a bit since then, and that there's at least some hope that they'll hold the line there for a while and use supplementary products like Modern Horizons and Commander decks to push cards directly into eternal formats instead.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

!Klams posted:

If we accept that the casuals are driving sales, why focus on tournament balance? Why not put in hugely splashy, powerful cards that will sell sets? We can always ban stuff next sales quarter? Oh, we do now, and it's hugely popular. Excellent.

If they squash competitive play entirely then they don't even need to ban anything. Now they also don't need to pay staff to balance or playtest cards.

Sinteres posted:

This is the only part I'm not sure about. While Eldraine obviously made money, I think they're still at least a little aware of and concerned about tail risks catching up to them if they flat out ignore the health of the game in favor of $$$ at every turn. Yeah cash is the ultimate goal, and whale milking and increasing the amount of gambling and setting prices based on the secondary market and everything is definitely stuff they're doing, but I think the Standard legal sets are something they still want to keep playable and fun for people if they can so they have a continuing entry point for new and casual players.

Why? Casual players like powerful cards, and if there's zero high level play they don't really need to worry about the tournament scene. So now the players who don't find the broken cards fun are gone and you only have to market to the people who will pay whatever amount of money you ask for.

Panderfringe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 6, 2021

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think people are misunderstanding what the end of the PT means. It's not the end of competitive play, which will still exist through stuff like FNMs, GPs, and random thirty party events. It's the end of there being a professional class of players (and even then, it's probably not that).

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
drat that white card is a slam dunk for cube wowie

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Panderfringe posted:

If they squash competitive play entirely then they don't even need to ban anything. Now they also don't need to pay staff to balance or playtest cards.

Why? Casual players like powerful cards, and if there's zero high level play they don't really need to worry about the tournament scene. So now the players who don't find the broken cards fun are gone and you only have to market to the people who will pay whatever amount of money you ask for.

Bans were happening as much because cards loving sucked to play against on Arena as anything, so I think it's a mistake to think even killing all competitive play would remove the necessity of bans. Honestly I think Arena is forcing them to take action on problems a lot faster than they would have even when they cared more about tournament play. From that perspective, loving up a non-premier set by pushing power levels is a lot less of a problem than ruining Standard.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 6, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Obviously we don't have access to sales data but what sets are perceived to be big "popularity spikes" for Magic? Like for example it's always been my understanding that when Duels of the Planeswalkers/the 2010 core set came out it was a huge boost for the game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Green is looking very good

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

Fearless adversary
Creature - Human Scout

Lifelink

When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay 1W any number of times. When you pay for once or more, put that many courage counters on ~.

one of the things I liked about the Vs tcg was that they had block and set mechanics, but also weren't allergic to acknowledging them in future sets. I am well aware that Innistrad 3 is not a set with kicker, but it's in the same standard as a set that does feature kicker, and it's not a huge stretch to just put Multikicker on a drat card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Fearless adversary
Creature - Human Scout

Lifelink

I really dislike making 1-2 cmc creatures loving mythic.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

one of the things I liked about the Vs tcg was that they had block and set mechanics, but also weren't allergic to acknowledging them in future sets. I am well aware that Innistrad 3 is not a set with kicker, but it's in the same standard as a set that does feature kicker, and it's not a huge stretch to just put Multikicker on a drat card.

Maro has said he regrets them having made Kicker because so many mechanics end up being "that's just Kicker"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Isnt multikicker a on-cast effect? Making it different then this cards effect?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

Magic does that too, those are called deciduous mechanics. Ones they consider worth porting over across sets but aren't evergreen core mechanics.
Also this isn't multi-kicker because it can be responded to after ETB and you can reset/grow it with a blink effect. It's very different.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Differences between this card and multikicker:
- You only ever pay 1W if your opponent counters it
- You can still "kick" the card if you cheat it into play with something like Aether Vial
- You can blink the card to pay its kicker cost later (funny combat trick, incidentally)
- More vulnerable to damage based removal since it will have one toughness with the trigger on the stack
It's different enough that I think it's reasonable to explore this space as a cycle. The black member also makes even more sense as something you'd want to flicker:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

Correct.
It's an additional cost, so you pay it when you first car the spell.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Putting decayed on the tokens you're paying a lot for kinda kills it for me. :(

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The strength of the tribe probably makes or breaks that card. It's potential both a pretty good early play and a devastating finisher in a zombie deck if there's decent support.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Obviously we don't have access to sales data but what sets are perceived to be big "popularity spikes" for Magic? Like for example it's always been my understanding that when Duels of the Planeswalkers/the 2010 core set came out it was a huge boost for the game.

Based on some cursory googling, battle for zendikar, ikoria rising, modern horizons 2 and kaldheim were also super high selling with MH2 possibly being the highest selling set of all time

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's different enough that I think it's reasonable to explore this space as a cycle. The black member also makes even more sense as something you'd want to flicker:

This one also gives you something if they remove it in response to the trigger, which is nice.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

This one also gives you something if they remove it in response to the trigger, which is nice.

Well, until you use them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think that card is probably pretty good. Mana sink on your tribal beater seems strong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HootTheOwl posted:

What sort of rate are you expecting where this is "a lot"?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

For five mana, which is only one pump, you get 7 points of power over 3 bodies. Thats pretty good imo

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
That card is also a slam dunk for cube

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Qwertycoatl posted:

Maro has said he regrets them having made Kicker because so many mechanics end up being "that's just Kicker"

Every mechanic is either kicker or split cards

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Remember that cool art that leaked a while ago on the booster box? The one people thought might be Tamiyo?

It's an alt-art of a limited card lol

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I hope we see the complete cycle of these Mythic tribal creatures today. Eager to see them all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

goferchan posted:

Green is looking very good

T1 Bird, T2 this, T3 play a small thing and Future Sight your deck? If it weren't boltable it would be so much better than Courser

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As long as that small thing isn't another bird or another two-power thing, I guess. And it goes away if they remove any of those creatures at all.

Coven, like Party, is going to be a bit of a pain to make work outside of limited unless your opponent just refuses to interact with you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

What sort of rate are you expecting where this is "a lot"?

When I pay 5 mana for something in my zombie deck it needs to win the game or I'd rather just pay 2 for Undead Augur or 3 for Geralf's Messenger and keep grinding. Getting a pair of 2/2's that my opponent doesn't have to answer isn't really that excited to me.

For five mana, which is only one pump, you get 7 points of power over 3 bodies. Thats pretty good imo

It would be if the bodies didn't have decayed, or could block. maybe. But it's not really 7 points. The decayed are basically drain life spells your opponent can block.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
My creatures always have power though. Often different ones too.
I hardly ever look at creature types and matching four specific ones out of many is way more clunky to me. There's +1/+1 counters in every set and that works well with this mechanic.

I wasn't around for Zendikar Rising, so idk about the party mechanic.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Doesn't improve my vintage deck, so poo poo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a 2 mana 2/3 with deathtouch in your tribe that also scales up in lategame. it's a good card

I think people are scared of decayed as if it's a massive downside, like you don't also want your zombie deck to have things die or be bodies to sacrifice for other reasons

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wooper posted:

My creatures always have power though. Often different ones too.
I hardly ever look at creature types and matching four specific ones out of many is way more clunky to me. There's +1/+1 counters in every set and that works well with this mechanic.

I wasn't around for Zendikar Rising, so idk about the party mechanic.

The mechanic could be "this does nothing unless you have three creatures on the board" without any specifics about the creatures themselves, and it would be a hard sell for constructed. Requiring you to jump through extra hoops means you're going to need some serious payoffs for it to be more than a janky win-more mechanic.

You've been playing in a Standard with Zendikar Rising so that should tell you quite a lot about how viable Party was for constructed.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

fadam posted:

Remember that cool art that leaked a while ago on the booster box? The one people thought might be Tamiyo?

It's an alt-art of a limited card lol

Gotta fill the mastery pass ranks somehow

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jabor posted:

The mechanic could be "this does nothing unless you have three creatures on the board" without any specifics about the creatures themselves, and it would be a hard sell for constructed. Requiring you to jump through extra hoops means you're going to need some serious payoffs for it to be more than a janky win-more mechanic.

You've been playing in a Standard with Zendikar Rising so that should tell you quite a lot about how viable Party was for constructed.

isn't bant party one of the better decks in standard 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not that I've noticed.

I've seen people play it against me and eat poo poo a whole lot I guess. Maybe they beat midrangey decks without much removal?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

flatluigi posted:

it's a 2 mana 2/3 with deathtouch in your tribe that also scales up in lategame. it's a good card

I think people are scared of decayed as if it's a massive downside, like you don't also want your zombie deck to have things die or be bodies to sacrifice for other reasons

Yeah, I was worried I was actually overvaluing it, because I'm seeing it all through the lens of 'this would be good in my Grimgrin EDH deck', where it's often actually kind of obscene. Obviously, that's a case where I've always got a particularly good sac outlet, but with basically any outlet at all they seem fantastic value. I actually went to check the legality, and yeah, after damage is dealt but before the end of combat step, the active player receives priority, so you totally can attack, do damage, and then sac to something. Which is pretty tight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The only mechanics are kicker, split cards, and creature abilities.

If you ask "what about X" it's one of those applied unusually.